Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I feel like you could come up with a lifetime of splatfest ideas in a couple of days and just have them automatically run for decades, or just have them loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Salmon Run is a pretty good mode they added. Like the first game, we'll have to wait on maps and features before we can fully audit how much new content there is

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hope I can grind out the super-rewards for this after work. Despite salmon run not being available all the time, I like it because it encourages me to play. I probably would've played like once and then focused on Turf otherwise

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I would rather be able to play the game mode I want to play, when I want to play.

I understand, but I liken it to something like Stellaview in which the novelty is its exclusive timing, and that it's something that you'll make time for so not to miss a possibly unique experience in tandem with your friends

A lot of games apply this to their games and it makes them better. Though you can manipulate the clock, the intended experience of Animal Crossing is that events happen on certain days, and at certain times. It would be silly to expect K.K. Slider to be playing unplugged every day when its allure is that it's once weekly. It's actually so attractive that a lot of people will host multiplayer on Saturday night to share the experience with others

It can be argued either way I guess, but I see the value in how no one play session will have the same maps or modes, and I feel it's core to Splatoon that it be that way

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Losing my Switch has been miserable

Cloud saves can't come soon enough

Spellman
May 31, 2011

People just have a hate-on for those brushes, which is fair because they have to retreat sometimes while the rapid fire guns don't really have a major combat weakness

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They should've made these Splatfests run on Splatoon Wii U too at the same time as the Switch

Not that it's a huge deal but it would be cool for the people who haven't made the leap yet

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

At what rank does Ranked matches make more money than turf war?

By about B-, you should be getting more money than Turf nearly every time

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You wanted your Miiverse, you got it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So at the start of the match you focus on painting the safe terrain and get as much as possible. When all that is under your control, you focus on the rest of the map. In the last minute of the map though, you want to grab as much unsafe terrain as possible. Painting large swathes of enemy terrain gets you tons of points, and when the match is almost over they have little time to take it back. At this point whoever takes control of the middle usually wins, and in a close match that safe terrain you grabbed/ignored at spawn can tip the scales in one sides' favor.

tldr: INK YOUR drat SPAWN :byodood:

I would actually wait until later in the match to focus on your spawn, and just gently caress with the opposing team in the very beginning. 2 reasons:

a) they won't expect you to be on their side so early and it can really ruin their momentum early on
b) when you come out of spawn, you can either Super Jump to a teammate or just travel. But that really doesn't leave you with a lot of options. Jumping to a teammate could get you killed, but sometimes there's not a lot of viable ways to be productive to your team, and if you spend all your time traveling to the opposing team's side, you've wasted a good 10 or 20 seconds doing nothing. So if you look at the map and it looks like the guy you want to Super Jump to is about to die, it's nice to take that time you would've wasted traveling on covering your base.

We've all lost a match by a quarter%, and you wring your brain at all the obvious spots your could've squirted to tilt it the other way, but at the end of the day, it's pretty hard to fluke a win that way, so if you're gonna meticulously cover ground, you may as well do it when you don't have any other options

Spellman
May 31, 2011

GOOD LUCK!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Or never

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Octolings can't wear hats on their big ugly heads so that would really surprise me

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Alright, can someone talk up ink mines? What are the best places to put mines? Just around corners, I guess?

TOWER CONTROL

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I received the dorky headset for Splatoon, and after the weeks of buyer's remorse, it arrived, and it isn't completely useless. It comes with a long cable, which you can hide behind your TV and behind a desk. You can plug any headphones (and probably any 3.5mm jack headset) into the socket

I was on Discord tonight with some goons and was able to mix Splatoon audio with the audio from Discord on a pair of generic earbuds with relatively little clutter (while using the phone as a mic). You could plug any length of extension wire into it too, so you could hypothetically wire it up Dolby 5.1-style across the entire length of a living room to any corner of the room you can hide it

It mixed the audio quite well for calls. You don't have to use the Nintendo app, and you can use it for any application that requires mixing audio. So any game that lets you turn the BGM off can be played with other music or podcasts on your phone, with in-game SFX.

The headphones are tacky and stupid (for an adult), but the actual adapter is pretty nice, and if you're committed, can be set up relatively behind the scenes for voice comm in a way that doesn't poo poo up your living room

The chunkiest setup is actually playing in Handheld mode with the wires draped all over your screen and body. I don't think this is how it's meant to be used. The connectors should be tucked away behind your TV when not in use.

So it's alright. When used right, it does the job. For $32, you could do worse. You can probably use the generic Hori headset the same way.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Didn't read the post but good choice on podcasts ya oval office!

You freckled gently caress

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Priority should be stingers, then flyfish, then everything else depending on the situation

Gotta kill the harassers

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The five year olds that picked Invisibility are right. It is the better power. Problem is, I don't want to be on a team with 5 year olds

This is why flight won

Spellman
May 31, 2011

http://kotaku.com/5632871/xbox-live-gamer-suspended-for-living-in-fort-gay

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dipping my fries in cake

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Might not want to quote goatse there, fellow squid

It's called a quoatse

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Why do parents now worry about the difficulty of Nintendo games for kids, like at all

Kids aren't dumb, they can figure out just about any video game thing if you just leave them with it for a while. I was playing just about any N64 game I could get my hands on just out of infancy, was able to beat them, and I wasn't The Wizard or anything

Spellman
May 31, 2011

My headcanon is that he lives in the Northern Kremisphere

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Like, it wouldn't be an issue if people would just leave the system alone, because I've met too many people who brag about how they have the FreeShop on their 3DS, like Nintendo owes them every game ever made because they got a used 3DS from their local GameStop.

Jailbreaking will never not be a thing. The onus is on the company to keep their products secure, but realistically, there's only so much they can do

But they oughta get with 2017 and start utilizing their accounts system in actual useful ways like cloud saves

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

For the love of god, do not play as duos in League Rainmaker! Get a team of 4 people if you're going to play Rainmaker there. You want everyone on the same page, instead of 2 sets of 2 people that probably have wildly different ideas about what should be done. Especially since Rainmaker is the most demanding out of all the 3 ranked modes in the game.

Luckily if you're playing duos in league, you're on a team with at least 2 other dingdongs who picked duo too

Spellman
May 31, 2011

We're all someone else's pubs

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nothin gets me goin more than 3 long quiet squidform falls every time I spawn

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I played with a crew during splatfest and one of the guys had all this perfect gear, so I didn't play for like a week since I was trying to buy it off him in the plaza

Yea there's a couple of ways to do it, just don't grind 60 chunks, use the drink tickets

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What'll likely happen is you'll bum around without perfect gear for the first 150 hours of your Splatoon career, and then all of the sudden you'll get a bunch at once because you've saved 30 of every chunk

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ultimately by year 2, with the weekly updates, there will be a cool pair of shades with X_ability that you always wanted, just save your chunks for that day

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Remember to rescue randos spamming "THIS WAY!!" when they're guarding mile-away eggs or some stupid poo poo, or else they'll never stop doing it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This assumes they're willing to actually listen.

They are not always willing to actually listen.

They won't listen to your This Ways because they're convinced that guarding the far egg is a good idea, and they're no real way to communicate that it's not, so just go get their stupid egg so they'll stop

They are the human equivalent of a stinger

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You can't spell front roll without troll. Back roll it is

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Werewolves because Merton J. Dingle would defend werewolves

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

Little billy sees a cute dog man in fun game for kids Splatoon 2 with an artists name appended, thinks "I can use this to find more things that a childs enjoy, because I am a childs," and gets pages worth of that same dog man with 10 dicks

The truth is many these artists are weird freak 12 year olds with strong artistic ability and an interest in wolf dicks, offending 30+ users

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pearl's streak continues

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Would've voted for werewolves, however the Aiden to normal human beings ratio is 8:1 on that team and all I care about is winning so I voted vampires

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Owers posted:

Drink tickets are a bit of a crapshoot. They're supposed to slightly increase the chance of getting a certain ability, but I suspect the difference is so minute that it might as well not even matter. Nowadays I just use drinks to unlock abilities faster so I can farm whatever chunks I can get.

It's pretty effective, but you can expect at least one of your stats to deviate from the drink ticket's intent. So you usually have to use chunks for the 3rd stat unless you're very lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

One of the best posts on this forum ever