Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mak0rz posted:

That one where you have to pop all the crates with a single charger shot looked fun at first but then I realized it required the balloons to be in pixel perfect locations :jerkbag:. Finally got it after the like third respawn though.

This is helpful, thank you!

You just need to shoot the bottom balloon a bit before it reaches the middle. With that in mind, that's actually the fastest stage for farming credits in case you run out. (Though it only matters if you wish to tackle certain bonus content. Running out of credits doesn't matter outside of that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm finding it extremely difficult to balance killing bosses with collecting eggs. I'm almost always behind in collections, even if I'm putting down the most bosses. Is there room for someone doing all the dirty work, or do I need to learn when to stop fighting and start collecting?

Don't worry too much about end statistics. (This goes for regular multiplayer as well.) If you won the game, you won the game, and that's all the game cares about.

Typically you should just let the bosses come in as close to the basket as possible, and only kill them when you have to. Such as if they'll end up killing a teammate if you don't, and it's super important that everyone stays alive if possible. (Unlike in regular multiplayer, there really isn't a justifiable reason for deaths in Salmon Run, where certain teammates dying at the right times can actually give your team the advantage.) Or if you don't have a choice, such as Stingers, who never move from the edges of the map and really should not be left alone if possible. Letting the bosses come in close to the basket and killing them there means it's a lot easier for your team to collect eggs.

Resetting your rank just sets you back to Profreshional 40 if you're above it. Rank is tied to the difficulty of the shift, so if you're getting a ton of hard shifts, you can reset your rank to make them easier.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty much, it's a big net profit, and lets you stuff in eggs easier than just Sting Raying the Mothership when it's arriving. The Mothership will be driven off or just take a heavy amount of damage in that case, but now the eggs will be scattered across the map instead of right at the basket, and you'll have to spend time fetching them (or just letting the Snatchers take them.) At higher difficulties, you will have to help attack the Mothership because the Sting Ray won't be able to solo it since the Mothership's HP scales, but wait for the Sting Ray to be done or close to done to start doing that.

That said, don't count on everyone to know this strategy, because like you said, it's pretty counterintuitive. If you don't see a Sting Ray come out at all, just go and drive off the Mothership.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can also snipe the Octolings on the wall with a Charger, but you have to pull off flick kills to kill them that way. Focus the laser on the Octolings themselves too long, and they'll just super jump in early. It'll buy you quite a bit of downtime if you kill them that way, but a few of the Octolings at the end will jump in from out of nowhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The bullets are super slow, so it's all about practicing your aim and leading your shots. Even if you don't get a direct hit, the explosion from the shot can 2 shot people (unless they have even 1 sub of Bomb Defense Up) which adds in a ton of pressure to the playing field. (Where with Inkzooka from Splatoon 1, the shots were fast sure, but if you missed, you missed.) It's pretty much a front liner special, and you really have to get a read on where enemies are going. And at the same time, you can't dive in too deep because you can be an easy kill for some weapons. But the biggest part of getting good with it is just learning how to aim better with it, so practice is needed to turn it into a strong special. Otherwise, you're just food for the enemy team.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

kidfresca posted:

Nautilus plays more like a Goo Tuber with its constant partial charge keep than it does any other Splatling, which sounds like an argument in favor of it being bad, but I think that play style works a lot more smoothly in execution on the Nautilus. The fact that the 133% increase to the shot velocity makes its projectile speed rival that of chargers lends itself to making it an interesting weapon with a decently high skill ceiling. I don't know if that velocity increase was reflected in Salmon Run though.

Whenever a main weapon gets changed in a patch, all of the changes carry over to Salmon Run as well. The only exceptions are damage and ink cost, which tends to be different.

Special weapons are a different case, since the specials that are used in Salmon Run are entirely different from the ones used in standard multiplayer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I see that they're whitewashing Marina in full force here. Again. :yikes:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 24, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This is either going to be a good thing for the game, or extremely broken and the dev team has no idea what they're doing anymore.

The obvious is that the effects might go overboard and throw everything into chaos. On the other hand, it provides another balancing point. Like if one kit happens to be overpowered but the other one isn't. And if the culprit isn't the main weapon itself, and something like the special instead, they can buff the effects the MPU and nerf whatever else is the culprit. And you have to remember, gear effects usually aren't that powerful on their own unless they're a main only ability. Meaning that you would have to stack a bunch of it to get something which doesn't leave room for much else. Such as Quick Respawn, which is currently one of the most used abilities in competitive. So I doubt the effects will be super huge overall. If anything, it might be that the bad weapons get the really good effects while the good ones just get something not too great since this is being done on a per weapon basis instead of per class.

Splattershot's would essentially work out to a mobility increase, which would help make it stand out from Dualies, which is how they're trying to make Shooters stand out. But it's not gonna be super big.

Damage Up Roller was really not something people did in Splatoon 1. Due to how roller damage works on a technical level, the killing area would get a very minuscule increase. At best this just makes falloff kills more likely. And Splat Roller isn't one of the stronger weapons at the moment. So I don't think you need to panic there. (Unless this is a mistranslation. Heard other sources say it's a killing area increase, which would be much stronger. But again, Splat Roller isn't super strong at the moment.)

Damage Up was only really good on Chargers and did a lot more in Splatoon 1 since it affected subs and specials too. Meaning that stuff like Burst Bombs were affected, making the vanilla E-liter kit a lot stronger in S1. (And E-liter 3K eventually stopped seeing use because people discovered Quick Respawn + Stealth Jump, which made deaths almost meaningless, and it just couldn't keep up with the added pressure.) But this is only restricted to main weapons. Everywhere else, it was just a cold war against Defense Up, and not really that useful in comparison. And we haven't seen what MPU does to Charger weapons yet.

The Inkbrush is a little questionable, since its current speed is equal to the standard swimming speed, so that might disrupt how some matchups play. But the main weapon isn't really that great and that could just be a way to make it stand out.

The Heavy Splatling's is very questionable, and it'll come down to the details on how it works there.

On another note, that Bloblobber kit looks loving scary. Sprinkler + Suction Bomb Launcher is just what the hell? :stonk:

Brother Entropy posted:

real galaxy brain take here from a guy who doesn't understand the concept of 'lighting'

You don't lighten a character's skintone for aesthetic purposes. That's whitewashing no matter which way you look at it. "Lighting" doesn't do whatever the hell is going on in the Splatfest art a lot of the time. You're also basically saying aesthetics are more important than accuracy in this case. (And besides, people who made writeups for concepts of lighting and color theory said that this was straight up whitewashing.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

What do the sparkles mean on the team introductions at the start of a match?

They won a majority of their matches or got a ton of knockout wins. It's basically saying that they've been doing really well in their games lately.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Nah, that'll happen when Smash comes out and the playerbase dies to the point where the only match you can find will be against people with 5000 ping.

Splatoon 1 survived Smash 4, so I'm pretty sure Splatoon 2 will be fine. They're 2 very different games and most people who has shared interest between the two will likely just flip flop between them (and other games). There will probably be a dip like there was with Mario Odyssey, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The WiiU did not nearly have the playerbase the Switch does, and it's Smash Bros Ultimate with literally every feature fans wanted in a Smash Bros ever.

There's going to be a pretty big loving dip for a few weeks.

I mean of course, there will be a dip. Happened for Super Mario Odyssey. I just doubt it'll become a permanent wasteland. You can still find games in Splatoon 1 and several of other Nintendo's multiplayer games to this day.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1068338874445754369

Blackbellly Skatepark is the next map to be getting renovated.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1068339334799998977

And looks like they're giving it a 3rd chance in Rainmaker this time. Will it actually stick around? Who knows?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/180647362922/noticing-a-little-chill-in-the-air-getting-darker

New global Splatfest... event? FrostyFest. It'll take place on January 4th, and will last for 48 hours. Yeah, no Splatfest in December.

Theme is would you rather spend the holidays with your family or your friends?

There's also event gear that you'll be able to grab from the Switch news starting from December 21st. (Or later from the app or other people.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, don't Salmon Run in Freelance this rotation. It's loving awful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34680

We also got patch notes. (Though it doesn't tell us about Main Power Up, so we'll have to wait for release day for that.)

Main weapons:

Mini Splatling/Zink Mini Splatling:
-Increased the effects of Run Speed Up.
Heavy Splatling/Heavy Splatling Deco/Hero Splatling Replica:
Hydra Splatling/Custom Hydra Splatling:
Splat Charger/Firefin Splat Charger/Kensa Splat Charger/Hero Charger Replica:
-Painting width decreased slightly.
Splatterscope/Firefin Splatterscope/Kensa Splatterscope:
-Painting width decreased slightly.
Tenta Brella:
-Shield HP reduced by 13% (800 to 700.)
-Shield now takes 20% more damage while launched.

Sub weapons:

Autobomb:
-Reduced waiting time to start moving towards a player being tracked from 30/60ths of a second to 10/60ths of a second.
Ink Mine:
-Increased the effects of Ink Saver (sub).
Sprinkler:
Point Sensors:
-Ink cost reduced from 60% to 55%.
Squid Beakon:
Fizzy Bomb:
-Increased time it takes for ink to start recovering after using. (1 second to 70/60ths of a second.)
-Decreased the effects of Ink Saver (sub).

Special Weapons:

Tenta Missiles:
-Painting effects from Special Power Up increased.
Splashdown:
-Greatly increased damage to Brella shields. (Depending on the Brella, it's 2x to 3.2x more damage.)
-Increased damage against Ballers by 2.5x. (180/70/55 damage to 450/175/137.5 damage.)
Baller:
-Greatly increased damage to Brella shields. (Depending on the Brella, it's 3x to 4.8x more damage.)
Ultra Stamp:
-While holding down ZR, the time it takes to start charging has been decreased, you will attack more frequently, which will provide better frontal protection as a result.
-Movement speed and turning angle while holding down ZR has been improved.
Sting Ray:
-Reduced duration from 7.75 seconds to 7.1666~ seconds. (More specifically, 465/60ths of a second to 430/60ths of a second.)
-Reduced the effects of Special Power Up.
-Reduced the damage done to Ink Armor by about 56%. (1.8 damage to 1 damage.)
-Reduced the damage done to Ballers by about 25%. (3.6 damage to 2.7 damage.)
-Ballers now take less knockback from Sting Ray.
Inkjet:
-Reduced damage to Ballers by about 30%. (240/100/60 damage to 170/70/40 damage.)

Abilities:

Run Speed Up:
-Greatly increased the effects of this ability on Splatlings while charging, not just firing.
Swim Speed Up;
-Increased effects for heavy weapons (E-liter 4K, Hydra Splatling, etc.) for smaller amounts of Swim Speed Up.
Ink Resistance Up:
-When using this ability, there is now a period of time when stepping in enemy ink where you will not start taking damage from it.
-Related to the above, stacking more of Ink Resistance Up will increase the time it takes to start taking damage from enemy ink.
Thermal Ink:
-Increased duration from 12 seconds to 16 seconds.

Special Cost Changes:

Kensa L-3 Nozzlenose: 190 to 180.
Kensa Octobrush: 190 to 180.
Kensa Splattershot Jr.: 190 to 200.
Splat Brella: 190 to 200.

Get hosed Sting Ray! :woop:

This is definitely looking to be quite a patch!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 4, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They literally just brought back damage up. That seems to be the default go-to effect for Main Power Up whenever they couldn't think of something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Smiles posted:

so main power up increases the range on the 4k, i was half hoping it would restore the 3k's glorious distance but even with 3 mains theres almost barely any increase. it increases damage on the regular charger but like in splat 1 it charges fast enough that i dont use damage up at all. oh well i guess this new ability isnt for me.

also this hacked ink color is so cool, like out of a samurai movie or summat lol:

https://twitter.com/Cygulls/status/1018023196979703808

MPU is rather minuscule in general.

For E-liter it sounds great... except maxing out on MPU only literally adds in 1/5th of a testing range bar to their existing ranges. Really not worth it. (Squiffer doesn't have it much better either. It's 30% of a testing range bar there with max MPU.)

Damage Up on Splat Charger only goes up to 96, so it doesn't act like it did in Splatoon 1 at all. Only Charger that really does act that way is the Goo Tuber.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Damage Up in Splatoon 1 wasn't that great of a perk on a lot of things. Being able to pick off damaged Inklings or make them easier to kill was nice, but a lot of other abilities were generally better to go for. And it was namely used to make falloff damage kills more reliable, or to counter Defense Up, which could increase the amount of time it takes to kill. (and that ability isn't even in this game.) Though unlike Main Power Up, Damage Up affected everything, subs and specials included. Though most Specials were designed to be one hit kills anyway, Defense Up be damned, so it didn't matter much there.

That said, for the stuff it did work on, it worked on super well. (And they all ended up getting nerfed into the ground sooner or later.) Lethal Blasters early on in Splatoon 1 didn't even have to get direct hits to get a one shot kill. Their splash damage used to start at 100, so Damage Up made the lethal area of the explosion bigger, making it easier to get one shots with them. And then they nerfed the splash damage to 80, so that wasn't possible anymore. Most Chargers had their partials cap at 100 damage (120 for E-liter at the start of the game), so they were coded as one hit kills, meaning that you could reach 100 damage sooner with Damage Up. This made E-liter a very infamous weapon to deal with, and everyone hated it. And now only Goo Tuber can really benefit from increased damage in that fashion. (And at best, it's only 10/60ths of a second sooner.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Do we know what brand affinity MPU is? Did it just replace Cold Blooded essentially

Pretty much. The two Cold-Blooded brands became MPU. Any Cold-Blooded gear in shops will now be offered as Main Power Up. However, this isn't retroactive. Any CB gear you had will become Bomb Defense Up DX, not MPU. And Pearl's Crown still gets converted to Bomb Defense Up DX, no matter when the amiibo was scanned.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1073504071779115009

Next Shifty Station gimmick, dash pads!

Oh and 4.3.1 is hitting December 18th/19th. Patch Notes.

4.3.1 Patch Notes posted:

Main Weapons

Sploosh-o-matic
-Maximum damage boost from Main Power Up increased from 20% to 25%. (Damage increased from 45.6 to 47.5)

Aerospray MG
-Increased the effect of Main Power Up when using smaller amounts.

Squeezer
-Maximum damage boost for tap shots from Main Power Up increased from 20% to 30%. (Damage increased from 45.6 to 49.4)
--Continuous fire is unaffected.

Splat Roller
-Reduced the damage range of vertical flicks by 11%, causing you to reach 40 damage sooner.
--Damage ranges where you deal 100 and 50 damage are unaffected. (Basically a nerf to MPU on Splat Roller.)

Inkbrush
-Maximum brush speed increase from Main Power Up increased from 4% to 5%. (Speed increased from 1.9968 to 2.016)
--Increased the effect of Main Power Up when using smaller amounts.

Octobrush
-Maximum brush speed increase from Main Power Up increased from 10% to 12%. (Speed increased from 1.848 to 1.8816)

E-liter 4K
-Maximum range increase from Main Power Up increased from 3% to 5%. (Range increased from 300.5 to 305.5)

E-liter 4K Scope
-Maximum range increase from Main Power Up increased from 3% to 5%. (Range increased from 320.5 to 325.5)

Tri-Slosher
-Paint width increase from Main Power Up increased from 20% to 25%.

Mini Splatling
-Maximum firing time increase from Main Power Up increased from 30% to 35%. (Maximum possible firing time increased from 1.566~ seconds to 1.6166~ seconds. Or if you really care about exact numbers, 94/60ths of a second to 97/60ths of a second.)

Undercover Brella
-Minimum shield regeneration time from Main Power Up decreased from 33% to 44%. (Time for the shield to regenerate reduced from 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds.)

Hydra Splatling
-When not fully charged, it will now take 5 subs of Main Power Up instead of 3 subs to reach 33.3 damage.
--Main Power Up's effect on full charge damage is not affected at all.

Ballpoint Splatling
-Run Speed Up's effect on the weapon is reduced.
-It will now take 5 subs of Main Power Up instead of 3 subs to reach 33.3 damage.

Splat Dualies
-It will now take 2 mains and 4 subs of Main Power Up instead of 2 mains to reach 33.3 damage.

Sub-weapons

Fizzy Bomb
-Reduced painting radius of the 2nd explosion by 15%.
-Reduced painting radius of the 3rd explosion by 21%.
(Paint radius of explosions is reduced from 30/40/48 to 30/34/38)

Torpedo:
-Ink cost increased from 60% to 65%.
-Damage from the smaller explosions reduced from 18 to 12.
--Smaller explosion damage against bubbles from Bubble Blower increased by 50% (This makes it so that Torpedo splashes deal the same amount of damage to bubbles pre-patch, essentially making it so that nothing changed there.)

Special Weapons

Bubble Blower
-250 damage radius reduced by 8%. (Damage radius reduced from 60 to 55.)
-Reduced duration of bubbles from 18 seconds to 12 seconds.

Special Point Costs

Bloblobber Deco: 180 to 190
Custom Hydra Splatling: 180 to 190
Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau: 190 to 200

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 14, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Probably not available to anyone outside of Japan, though (unless there’s some sneaky way to get CoroCoro gear outside of Japan/after the promotion ends).

The contest doesn't mention exclusivity, just that the winner's design will be placed into the game, so we might actually get something from CoroCoro this time. (Also we did end up getting contest gear, though that was from Famitsu, not CoroCoro.)

In Training posted:

In 4.0 didn't they make it so you could order event gear off people? So it could spread internationally like those MMO viruses

Only the Splatoon World Championship shirt and any of the Halloween event gear. The 7-11 preorder gear, Emperor outfit, and the Spy gear can't be obtained that way. And given that they didn't even bother translating the names of the Spy gear, I doubt we'll be getting any of the exclusive gear in the future.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does Main Power Up on the Squeezer only effect the single shots and not rapid-fire? If so that’s dumb.

It affects both, but gives a bigger damage boost to tap shots. Though continuous fire mode will hit 33.3 damage pretty quickly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

just booted up the game for the first time in months. there’s a new splattershot jr in store a new subweapon; torpedo

tried it in practice range. seems weird. is this thing any good?

There are 2 new specials and 2 new sub-weapons.

The Torpedo is basically a super Autobomb. But it can be shot out of the sky pretty easily (only has 20 HP.) Locks onto someone and deals a nice bit of chip damage. It doesn't look too impressive on the dummies that stand still, but in practice, your targets will move around a lot, and the pellets will deal a lot more damage to them. And it paints a lot. It's super easy pressure in a tank. Just toss it at someone who's remotely distracted to make their life hell. And if they have a slow firing weapon? Could end up being a death sentence. Heck, you don't even have to throw it at them. You can just roll it on the ground to turn it into a straight bomb (that only deals 60 damage max) It was one of the best sub-weapons in the game, and ate some hefty nerfs last patch.

For that matter, the other new sub-weapon, the Fizzy Bomb, is also super good. If the Torpedo was a super Autobomb, then this thing is basically a super Curling Bomb (especially after Curling ate a big nerf a while back.) Hold the sub-weapon button to charge up, and it'll explode up to 3 times, each painting more than the last and dealing some chip damage in the process (or outright killing if all 3 explosions hit the target). You can make it charge faster by moving the sticks around, jumping, or by moving the controller around, even if you have motion controls off. (Yes, they really did that. Thankfully, the gyro isn't the fastest way to charge it up.) Also ate a hefty nerf due to how overcentralizing it got in Splat Zones. (Was a super easy way to keep the zone neutral until your team got back.)

As for the new specials, there's Booyah Bomb. It's basically Inkstrike. Only with a more limited range since it's a projectile you toss instead of being global (still has a long range though) and no warning sign at where you send it. Activate it and you'll charge up. When other players use the "Booyah!" command, it'll charge up your attack faster and they'll get some special meter out of it. It's alright. Has all the flaws of being Inkstrike.

The other new special is Ultra Stamp, which is basically a hybrid between Kraken and Inkzooka. You'll whip out a hammer, and you can just slam forward constantly, and the hammer can protect you against attacks from the front... as long as it's slammed down. Other people can shoot at you between swings to damage you. Also your sides and back are entirely unprotected. You can also just toss it as a long range projectile that'll instantly kill all in its path, but this instantly ends the special. It used to be really bad since the hammer swung a lot slower, to the point where people could just shoot at you while you were charging at them and then you would just die. It's better now, though I dunno how good it is.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 27, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Marina's war criminal history is sure showing through this new Shifty Station.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mystery Machine posted:

I'm coming back to Splatoon 2 after a year and some change of not playing, and I was wondering how online and ranked have changed since? I see that rank X is a thing, and Nintendo now has paid servers. Has this led to an improvement in matchmaking and in connectivity? Also, could anyone give me a quick primer on what guns and specials are good right now?

Use whatever you want. Not much has changed. (Avoid Neo Sploosh and regular Goo Tuber.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Also the gear design competition by the Squid Research Lab and Corocoro has resulted in over 10 000 entries, with the winner(s) announced in March and with those appearing in an update in May.

Correction, the gear will be released with the May issue of the magazine, meaning that it's exclusive to Japan.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/oatmealdome/status/1089300608488824832?s=21

Surprised they're not going with 4.3.2 considering the last balance patch was considered a 3rd digit revision for some reason. Either that, or they're just being inconsistent.

The update should come out sometime before the next Splatfest, since the Shifty Station got datamined but is currently in a very broken state right now, so they'll have to fix that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The tourney had another announcement.

Sheldon's Picks are confirmed to return.

Also yet another global testfire happening in March. People will be able to play Salmon Run on it, and the save data from it will transfer over to the full game.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1089441895783161857

More updates aside from all the stuff that was revealed are planned. However, the details on their release and such hasn't been finalized, and will take a little longer to come out. The ride never ends.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 27, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ranked will also be playable in the testfire. Seems like this is a full fledged demo rather than the barebones ones they hosted before since your save file transfers over.

Oh and if you don't have Nintendo Switch Online, don't worry. They're sending out codes to give a free trial of it so this demo won't have like a $20 entry fee or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

what the gently caress

when did they change that

Since 4.0.0, so in September.

1500quidpoocati posted:

You can swing a match if you flip a couple near the end, also good for trapping enemies. Not their greatest gimmick map ever but it's decent.

Yeah, it's not an exciting gimmick, but the map isn't awful to fight on, thankfully.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, they're nice, but no replacement for skill. Especially since the benefits of one ability eating up multiple gear slots diminish for every slot it takes up.

omg chael crash posted:

Just bought this and leveled up to 4ish, having fun.

That being said, any more tips for brand now folks? I read through the OP and the before I play wiki, for what it's worth.

So far, I'm really liking the giant roller things

The campaign is basically supposed to be the tutorial, and gives you a place to get used to the game's controls. Go ahead and spend some time there first if you don't feel too comfortable with the game. Also motion controls help with fine tuning your aim (though they're not required to play well.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

in Turf War painting is more important that splatting other players. So the Jr does really well. Dualies is good at both. the dedicated backline weapons usually suffer the most

Kills have always been very important, even in turf wars. After all, a dead player can't paint. This is even more true in 2 where the matches are a lot more aggressive than they were in 1. Granted tunnel visioning towards getting kills, and doing nothing else isn't necessarily the best idea. And you still want weapons that can paint, since painting leads to map control, which is a very important concept to make use of in this game. A team of weapons that can kill, but not paint basically has no fallback plan for when things go wrong. This holds true even in ranked.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

prom candy posted:

So splatfest is when all the good players stop playing ranked? My wife and I just played for 45 minutes and just got absolutely poo poo on the whole time. Didn't win a single game and she lost one 85-15. Not really any fun.

Unfortunately, yes. This is because Splatfests lock players out of playing ranked for the entire duration, so there's nowhere else for them to go. (Aside from Salmon Run.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Magic wins.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't know why anyone would consider the sploosh weak, it's an effective close range specialist with a special weapon that is extremely good within the operating range of the main and a sub weapon that allows the user to close distance very quickly. It's good at exactly one thing but it's very good at that thing.

Normal Sploosh can definitely work well as long as you're aware of its limitations and you and your team play around them. It's basically a close combat kit, with Curling bombs to help with its mobility, and Splashdown as another tool to help with close quarter combat.

Now Neo Sploosh on the other hand is one of the few kits in this game I would call actively terrible (The other is the regular Goo Tuber.) All it can do is spam Tenta Missiles and... little else. When there are other weapons that are capable of doing that, though slightly slower at doing so. And doesn't have the issues the main weapon does.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm just really bad at placing them. And I don't survive long enough for them to get use, or do they stay after you're splatted?

Yep! Sprinklers are the only sub that gets deleted instantly after you get splatted.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm really curious if they'll do Pearl Marina for the last splatfest, or do something else. Callie/Marie would be fun again but for most 2 players they wouldn't care much, and similarly Squid Sister v Off the Hook would be a wash.

Yeah, I highly doubt the Squid Sisters would be involved in the theme in any fashion. Way more people own Splatoon 2 than 1, and they'd probably just fall into "who are these assholes?" territory.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did splatoon 1 ever start just replaying splat fests on a regular schedule or anything like that?

Nope. After Callie vs. Marie, that was that. No more Splatfests, no more night maps. You could put the plaza into Splatfest mode at least with the Squid Sisters amiibo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Snails are infinite. They're just very slow to get outside of Splatfests. In 1, you got them for every 30 battles you won (don't need to win them all in a row, thankfully.) In 2, you just get them when you level up past 30. You can speed up how much you level up with food at least. (But it'll be slower than in 1 unless you constantly play ranked.)

Unfortunately, you have to use snails to reroll now, unlike in 1 where you could use money for that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/Splatoon_FRA/status/1112579640223326208

"To achieve optimum weapon balance, ink will be removed from the game in the next update."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Trump Card posted:

Oh hey neat I didn't realize they're keeping the 6 hours between Salmon Run shifts, I thought they were only doing that because of the demo last month. Also it looks like regular shifts are 36 hours now while the extended weekend ones are 42?

Salmon Run's schedule got more generous sometime after launch, and it's been that way for a long while. 30 to 36 hours is the standard now, with either a 6 to 12 hour wait time between shifts. Instead of the 12 hour shifts and 24 hour wait periods that used to be the case at launch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Basically there's a spinner you shoot to lay down turf, and it moves part of the stage out. However, the stage never moves back, so the part of the stage that gets pushed out can't ever be painted over. Eventually, that entire area can't be painted over. So both teams are basically fighting over turf that can't be reclaimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Curling Bomb maximum damage increased to 220.

Suction Bomb. Though damage against bubbles isn't affected, so this doesn't affect too much.

In Training posted:

Splashdown being able to explode Booyah Bomb is a fun option now, I like it

They seem to be going all in on making it a shut-down special now.