Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Splatoon team and Animal Crossing New Horizons team are the same, and they got done with the latter a good while ago. If Splatoon 3 even started development, we won't be seeing it for a long time.

Could be for the Switch depending on how long the console sticks around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Basically it's just Turf Wars. At night. That's all there is to it gameplay wise. Oh and this is the only time you can team up with friends and such in Turf Wars outside of private battles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We got Splatoon 2 early cause the Wii U tanked.

Also they started work on Splatoon 2 right after Splatoon 1 launched. In Splatoon 2’s case, that time was instead spent on developing Octo Expansion. And most of the team was working on Animal Crossing New Horizons as well. The producer said a few months ago 3 hadn’t started development yet. (Might’ve changed now, but I doubt we’ll hear too much about it soon, especially with the current world situation.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

raditts posted:

I don't think you can, but if there's nobody else nearby, I think they usually tend to shoot the balloon in your direction, to which you should shoot it back to instakill them (but almost nobody ever seems to do).

Unfortunately, Drizzlers have the toughest instakill in the game to pull off, since you can't just shoot down the missile, the angle you shoot it down from has to be opposite of where the Drizzler is. (Fun fact, you can use a Drizzler missile to instantly kill a different Drizzler. It also counts as a bomb, so you can use it to destroy Flyfish baskets.) And more often than not the reflecting angle is completely impossible to pull off because it's right next to a wall, or you just don't have time to line up the shot, especially on higher difficulties. The angle detection can also be a bit finnicky, as you could just miss the reflect by a few inches, or in a few rare cases, the missile goes over the Drizzler instead.

So players tend to just shoot down the missile immediately and just opt to take out the Drizzler the traditional way. Granted if the opportunity really presents itself, you should go for the instakill since Drizzlers are the 2nd beefiest enemy in Salmon Run.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 23, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Social Animal posted:

Splatfest is cool I love the music and the night levels. Ability to queue with friends also? It should be splatfest 24/7! Btw what's the difference between the pro and normal mode? So far all I've noticed is that you only get clout for winning a pro match. Also how does the 100x/10x matches work? I just randomly got into a 10x match (we lost miserably).

Also been trying to experiment with weapons to keep things interesting but I'm too addicted to the kensa splattershot. I'm terrible at getting in range with it, I feel like everyone can out range me with it but it feels so good when you get close enough and hold that trigger down. :blastu: I've got a pure mpu hat with it so I can bunny hop as well.

Pro is purely solo queue. So any team you end up with are made up of 4 randos, and that goes for the enemy team as well. While normal mode allows for players to team up.

Pro mode is the only one with enforced matchmaking, and you can see your matchmaking rating.

10x matches have a 7% chance to occur at any given point, however you can't get into one if it hasn't been more than 15 minutes since the last one. Only one 100x match occurs once every 10 minutes. Yes they are genuinely that rare. Good luck getting into one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Playing with goon groups is infinitely more fun than solo queue. That's just suffering, mismatchmaking hell (why are the teams so constantly lopsided?) and DC hell. So many of my matches there turned into 7 man lobbies. Don't solo queue kids.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

History has changed!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tafferling posted:

Are the paint colours yellow and yellowish? How did they work the first time?

Yes. That also reminds me, Color Lock is an option that exists, which overrides the colors of the match and replaces them with 2 different ones. I've had to turn it on because the night lighting really doesn't play nicely with this color scheme. Could barely tell the bombs apart which got me killed a couple of times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hero Mode is alright, serves its purpose of letting people get used to the game controls and such, and teaches them a few things. That being said, the whole 8 full completions for 100% was a bit much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I think it was a cease and desist order, not dropping sponsorship.

Yeah they straight up canned the tournament instead of just pulling out. This pissed off a lot of people, especially when playing in person is a really bad idea right now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

waddler posted:

Ketchup vs Mustard is halfway over.

I’ve seen the bouncy map, cannon map, and the bunker lockdown map in the Shifty Station rotations. Have any others shown up?

It's those 3 and the roller launcher map that are the 4 shifties for this Splatfest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did they say this would be the final one again? I thought maybe we’d get another rerun or 2.

They didn't say this was the final one but they did say there was gonna be 3 more Splatfests when the first rerun happened. Course nothing is stopping them from announcing more.

The Mario Splatfest was supposed to happen way earlier, (it was found in the data when the Ketchup vs Mayo rerun happened) but it likely got pushed back thanks to COVID, so they decided to do reruns to fill the gap. Also the "save our salmons" teaser at the start of 2020 still hasn't been followed up on. (Also likely got pushed back by COVID) so there's also that to look forward to I guess.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was this? I don’t remember.

This:

Version without the text highlighted:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RIP Super Stars. Congrats team Super Mushroom!

Also wow that gap in clout is huge. I think that's one of the few times it was more than a 1% to 2% difference.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cactus posted:

Do you only have to booyah once for the full effect, or does spamming it increase the strength of the bomb?

For the user, you have to keep spamming Booyah as each Booyah charges it faster by 7%. There's no limit on the Booyahs, so you keep spamming until it's fully charged. Special power up lets it charge up passively faster, meaning you can spam Booyah less and have the bomb ready to go a lot sooner depending on how much SPU you're using.

For the rest of the team, spamming booyah gets you more special points and charges the bomb faster, though the game only registers 5 Booyahs from the rest of the team, each with diminishing returns. (+8%/+4%/+2%/+1%/+1%) So only 5 instances of a special point boost is possible across the team per Booyah Bomb as well (+6/+3/+2/+1/+0.5 special points). Once you stop seeing particle effects go towards the Booyah Bomb, you can stop Booyahing if you're not the one using it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Korean Boomhauer posted:

More Splatoon in general would be Real Good. Do ya'll still play together?

The game is still fairly populated yeah. The recent Splatfest probably drew some older players who dropped the game back.

Heck, even Splatoon 1 still has matches.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Goddamn that was a surprise announcement outta nowhere.

I really didn't expect they'll release the sequel on the same console.

Unless...

By the time it releases it'll have been 5 years since Splatoon 2. More than enough time for a sequel.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Smiles posted:

omg the spawner drones are espresso machines, the ink tanks are hydration bladders, the 96 gal has a water filter attached to it, its these little details that add up

Those were actually in the data for S1, just unused. The way they functioned was like in the trailer, first spawn allowed you to select where in the base you wanted to spawn, but subsequent spawns had you respawn at the set respawn point. There's a visible respawn point in the screenshots and trailer, so they probably function the same way here. Will probably make rollouts smoother.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Every special was new in 2 and I'd guess the same with 3

Most likely. Inkzooka looks to be back in name only. Seems to shoot explosive shots, not tornados. And we've already seen the wail/ray replacement.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I like how much smoother the S3 specials look. The S2 specs had the issue of being powerful, but feels awful to use and they felt kind of stiff. Stuff like Sting Ray felt so awful to control, and Ink Armor isn't exactly a fun special to actually fight against, and using it was just click the stick and go. Hopefully they can hit a nice middle ground between S1 and 2 specs, cause S1's specs had the issue of locking the other players out of the game entirely with the invincible specials. Crab mech looks way more dynamic than Kraken and Baller.

The Bloop posted:

Very excited

Squid sisters all up in the trailer but did anyone see off the hook anywhere

No. They'll likely show up with Agent 4 and 8 later in the campaign.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The schedules make sure there's full lobbies

Also that people don't just play one mode on one stage and get too much narrow practice

I think it's good, generally

I do sometimes get miffed I can't run salmon

While the schedules were done to avoid queue splitting issues, it turned out the playerbase for the game was healthy enough that they didn't really need to constrain it like that. Heck there's numbers during Splatfest of player counts (before Nintendo boarded that data hole up) At this point the schedule is namely a holdover with almost how little it matters.

I bet at worst in 3 it'll stick with 2's new schedule, which is significantly better than it was at launch. Opened up so little and was closed for so drat long. Opened for like 12 hours and closed for like 24 to 36. Now it's open for like 40 to 48 hours and closed for like 6 to 12. At best it'll just work on a system similar to PVP map rotations and is open 24/7.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Good news.

quote:

Save Data Cloud is only compatible with offline play data.

From here at the bottom of the page in gray text. The game actually has cloud saves this time. 2nd game didn't have that because it stored your rank client side instead of server side, and they tried using lack of cloud saves as a justification as an anti-cheating measure.

Interestingly enough there's only 1 ROM for the game this time, where the previous 2 games had 3 different ROMs, JP, NTSC, and PAL. Which is how the game region locked Splatfests and had different themes going on at the same time, so I'm wondering how those are gonna be handled this time. On the more negative side of things for 2, but positive for 3, this also happened to enforce region locked gear, which is no longer possible in 3. If they release some Japanese exclusive code for some clothing, and you get your hands on one somehow, you can actually redeem it in-game this time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

hatty posted:

Maybe they’ll improve the net code. What was it people didn’t like? The tick rate or something right?

Nintendo did get a new online infrastructure, though no word on if Splatoon 3 will use it or not.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Later on in the game's lifespan some maps had some performance dips here and there yeah. Wasn't as bad as 1 which was worse on that front and could be pushed to the brink more easily, but it's there in 2.

Splatoon 2 worked by first decreasing the resolution of the game, and then the framerate if the game started taking heavy loads. It's really noticeable in Salmon Run at higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m more curious about who the hosts will be.

Not Off The Hook. Seems like they’re a normal band in 3.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1540273536798949376

Picked up some new members as well while they were on tour.