Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

also you get thermal ink on the entire enemy team while in squid form so abuse it and fire in spurts if you need to reposition

i do a thing with my stingray where i fire at a squid, if i lose track after i get a few hits in then i quickly squid to see them, reaim and start firing again until they get splatted, then i do the same thing to my next target. might do a squid/fire/squid/fire several times so long as the stingray is active

however if i get splatted by the same squid later in the match, i get squidbagged cause they think im bming them, which i guess is what they interpreted it as :(

also my favorite thing when i have a charged stingray is when someone on my team marks a bad guy with a point sensor (do the stingray dance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i bought a nice toni kensa shirt with respawn punisher from annie's shop, then i read the description and was like 'wow what use is that' and overwrote it with another shirt

if i had known what it actually meant i wouldve kept it :<<<<

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Smiles help me out here, what were the old charge times, and what we're they reduced to?

i tested this unscientistically in the firing range, it seems a splatterscope full charge has gone from 1.10 seconds to 1.00????

id take it out on the field but port mackerels in the rotation X(

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

got my bonus from mr grizz, now im gonna head to the reef for some nachos

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i like this new map its so good for chargers

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Goodguy3 posted:

The new map is pretty good but the supplied weapons for the next two days, good God. Blaster, Charger, some burst fire gun. At least there isn't a roller and a brush or something

speaking as one of mr grizz's best employees, these weapons are actually pretty solid. rapid-fire shooters arent the end all be all weapon type, everything has its place

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

maybe this is a super unpopular opinion but i think everyone in profeshional should know how to use every weapon

like im primarily a scoped charger guy in the main game but i still managed to get to 540 in the last run (squiffer, clash blaster, splattershot pro and dualies) before mr grizz told me to go home to my family

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i guess my point was that there are probably tons of other weapons that a lot of people dont touch either, i myself dont even own a nozzlenose or blaster (and i suspect a lot of squids dont use them much either - looked at my last 50 battles and there were nozzlenoses in three of those and a blaster in two) but itd be a shame to not include them cause theyre pretty fun

this is where i got after two hours

in any case i agree with kraken, i find the most important thing in salmon run is knowing the flow of the battle and staying alive

especially staying alive

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Gonna charger duel Smiles someday.

hey since us and aus/nz splatfests are combined now maybe we will meet on the splattlefield

(and lag will make sure i splat you five seconds after you splat me)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except you're actively ignoring the fact that the minimum competency for either of those weapons (or hell, any other weapon type) starts and ends with "hold/repeatedly mash trigger, aim at Salmonids".

its true its got a higher skill threshold but i still think youre overestimating how difficult it is to aim a charger against something that isnt a bad guy inkling. ive just played another hour, had squids taking out the maw only by shooting it when it pops up, squidding through the nets into the water along with a charger who might not be that familiar with the weapon on the team and still got to 340 from 240 so i really dont think the weapon is a problem here

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

then maybe they should get good with it or risk staying in part-timer? i dunno dude, you keep telling us the charger is a sub optimal weapon not everyone will know how to use but somehow a lot of us here can still manage to get further beyond profreshional even with it in rotation

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

mr grizz

mr grizz you forgot to send everyone else

omg dont give me the inkbrush now

but but but :<<<<

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

work harder, slacker.

i made up for it

gotta stop though, inkbrush and nozzlenose aggravates the old carpal tunnel

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Do you guys get these numbers playing with pubbies? I think the best I've done is like 160 or so, and that was with the really good weapon set a week or two ago.

i exclusively solo queue with randoms and honestly i dont think theyre as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. occasionally you do come across a squid (or three) who arent on the ball, i mean ive cleared shifts where i end with 10+ revives because they keep overextending or tunnel visioning, which means i have to put some work in. on the other hand, ive played with squids wholl throw a bomb into a flyfishs left launcher at the same time you throw a bomb into its right, squids who wait for the scrapper to come up narrow walkways before ganging up on it in a more open area or squids with a crowd control weapon clearing out the cannon fodder around you while you charge up your long range weapon at a steelhead. so yeah, if youre on top of things you can tilt the scales in your favor but when everyones on the same page its easy street.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

ooo a sweet new vest and an awesome weapon set this salmon run, thanks mr grizz

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

just reached flight queen here in AU, lots of flight vs flight matches but overall made sure team invisible wont show their faces around here ever again with 24 wins and 8 losses

no mercy to newbies >:DDDD

(i thought he was like an S+50 smurf at first but actually he wasnt)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

throw to first drat IT posted:

Did anyone test if the shield protects you from enemy attacks?

yea it does but a bit situational, a steelhead bomb or scrapper ram is enough to break it, great to have it out when theres smallfry chomping at your ankles though

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i think the highest i got was 670 profreshional and the bonus bar was at 10,000+ or something

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

oh i just checked my album, i had something saved at 650:

bonus meter goes up to 15000 at least

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i wish, then that can be my real job instead of wallowing around in the muck surrounded by screaming fish monsters that is my irl one

(plus i only have 10mbps download/0.5mbps upload, lol australia)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

ayyy i remember you, were you around for the stingray laser light show? small warld

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

wanna hear something crazy:

i love the stingray

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

heres my latest one before i started yesterdays shift:

i think i only really started playing salmon run regularly after getting to level 30 (had to get dat sweet scope e-litre 4k) but whenever grizzco is open i try to get the highest level i can before they close; my record's 670, hope to get to 1000 one of these days

speaking of dat sweet scope e-litre 4k

lmao the bad guy team mustve been so mad, oh three chargers on the other team ez win... wait what just happened D:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Please do not charger bully.

youd do the same thing in my shoes jonas admit itttt

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah the matchmaking on that match was pure poo poo

id say, i checked everyones ranks after the match and the splattershot pro and i were the only ones who werent on a tier of S+, like geez nintendo

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Polish Avenger posted:

It didn't seem to be doing anything at all, maybe I have to aim higher to hit it when it's under the umbrella.

only the stingray can pierce drizzler armor, the only time its vulnerable to regular weapons is when its fired a missile or flying

a fully charged e-liter can, with one shot, kill steel eels, scrappers and steel heads, knock out most of a drizzlers hp and stun a griller; it's the hardest hitting weapon in the game, but charges slowly, so pick and choose your targets. chargers in general are also top tier when a row of salmonid are approaching you (like those narrow stretches of land during lowtide) because you can pierce and wipe out the entire lot, and if one of your downed buddies are behind them, it will revive them too. theyre not so great with scattered mobs, small fry or stingers but then again that was the splattershot jr's or brella's job

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While you're building that charge, it's almost certain that at least one or two other guys in your Crew are just diving into the same row and murdering everything down with Rollers/Blasters/Shooters.

great if they are, less salmonids around, the better, but sometimes theyre off punishing a stinger or need a path cleared so they can have enough time and ink to throw a splat bomb at a flyfish. a splat charger literally takes a second to charge and erase every chum in the row and another second to finish off the weakened cohocks, an e-liter takes one a half seconds and wipes them all out in go. nothing else kills faster when theyre all lined up like that. ive had rollers/blasters/shooters turn around and look at me like, hey save some for me >:(

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief! :stare:

i like it

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

nah as always this salmon run weapon set is pretty good, mr grizz always knows what we need

edit: proof

almost beat my record but after two wave 3 communication errors and a disconnect on a wave 1 griller round where we got no eggs i lost steam, sorry mr grizz but i guess im packing it in early today

Smiles fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 9, 2017

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i link my salmon run screen grabs to my linkedin account just to show what a real profreshional i am and what a great place grizzco is to work at

(gonna get that corner office some day)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i dont mind flyfish, its the stingers by the water that im thwacking at fecklessly with my roller while im crying, 'shooter/blaster where are youuuu' that kills me (literally)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

that isnt very ink or time efficient tho when a blaster can knock it out in one hit or a shooter can bring it down to size in a second

e: at higher levels especially, when bosses spawn every few seconds and you have a 20 egg quota, you really need the most efficient tool for the job otherwise youre just gonna get swarmed

Smiles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 13, 2017

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your job with a Roller is efficient Chum-murdering and pathmaking, which is worth its weight in gold. That keeps the other three free to kill Bosses without getting slapped about by Small-Fry.

yeah dude i know the rollers not great for stingers, which is why im calling for the blaster and splattershot to come and take it out instead of trying to pile on the steelhead by the basket which the squelcher can handle by theirself? sometimes youre stuck facing a boss on your lonesome with a suboptimal weapon type but you have to make do

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yeah maybe its a chance for you to learn to be proficient with all weapon types instead of writing a weapon off when you see it in the rotation

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

coulda fooled me, what with the complaining about weapons every time grizzco opens with a new set

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah, no.

My point of contention is that a large portion of the playerbase do not use the one weapon type which requires more thought than "hold trigger and shoot". Saddling them with said weapon type, in Profreshional no less, often means you're essentially down a player for the duration because they aren't managing well. And even if you do get a player good with one, it's still one wave in three they have it. Even then it's possible it'll skip them altogether :rolldice:.

dont worry dude, youll see less of that once you get to profreshional

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're delusional if you believe that actually denotes the average quality of player you're grouped with in any game.

i dunno dude, ive posted my results here before with an end of shift rank of 600+ with any given weapon set despite these supposedly terrible players i probably get grouped up with as well, so forgive me if i really dont see your point

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

walleye warehouse and the 52 gal deco/carbon roller deco with seekers was my favorite map/loadout for when i was in a 'i dont feel like aiming' mood

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yeah dont worry about it, i main scope chargers but i still jumped from C- to B to A to A+ on all three modes. i only stopped after a particularly horrid bout of unreliable internet where i disconnected every other game and had my bar break when i was literally one win away from S (i helped our guy dunk the rainmaker then brzzzt communication error :<<<< ) and got really disheartened. maybe ill continue ranked again once i move somewhere with more reliable internet

Manuel Calavera posted:

Those two were my jam back then. Seekers were so good.

the best thing was when you throw one out randomly, it splats a bad guy and you go, 'oh i got someone... lol'

autobombs just arent as satisfying for some reason

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

I mostly used them for the SPEED. Getting to mid on Arrowana, or Port Mackerel. They were good for that.

oh yeah that too. i had a phase with the aerospray mg where id seeker everywhere and inkzooka everyone. it was a nice change of pace after using chargers for so long.

i guess the curling bomb is sort of similar. maybe ill try that next.

noice

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

japanese names dont necessarily mean japanese players, i mean theres an international keyboard on the switch after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Turns out the maximum rank is 999. Your pay grade maxes out at 435%.

awwww shucks i thought it wouldve gone on forever. that rank does appeal to my love of 9s though so maybe im gonna try even harder

i feel around the 500 to 600 mark, small mistakes can really add up and it gets exponentially harder as the wave goes on. i think i remember one shift on lost outpost where it was wave 1 mid-tide at the grates, two flyfish spawned at once, we managed to take one out and half of the other, but then a few stingers spawned on the other piers and lasers and missiles just kept criss-crossing and made a mess of things and then a steel eel snuck up on us somehow and yea that was not one of my finest moments