Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What gear do you get for preordering the dlc? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

I think it's at the end of the direct right before the smash trailer starts, it's just a simple cap and t-shirt with octo symbols on them

Ah ok. I probably won't bother until it's closer to release then.

Edit:

pichupal posted:

I think it was shown in the direct? Red headphones and a red shirt with an Octoling sticker.

Edit: here

I think the Ink Recovery for the headphones and Ink Saver Main for the shirt, if that's what you want.

Yeah nothing to write home about there. Also I hate giving up my beloved ninja squid.

Jizz Festival fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 13, 2018

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Splatoon pro controller's getting fixed, trying to go back to joycons is impossible. I guess I'm gonna hafta get a boring black pro controller to play this with any competence, dammit.

Have you tried using the grip? I only ask because people frequently forget that it even exists (myself included).

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Someone needs to make something that alerts you when custom equipment with certain abilities go up on the shop. I want more fresh clothes with thermal ink on them.

When’s 3.0 supposed to drop?

Which weapons do you use thermal ink with? I thought it would work well with the jet squelcher, but not being able to see them in squid form kinda ruined it for me.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

I always thought it was the same item but the main ability could be different.

Nope, what you're thinking of is that the gear available on splatnet has different main abilities than the gear available in the normal stores. When you order gear from a player's outfit, it will always have the same main ability and the sub abilities will either be the same or one or more of them will be empty (as others have already pointed out).

Unless the gear is perfect, I actually hope that the sub abilities are empty because each non-empty sub ability increases the price by a lot.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone remember which page that big post of helpful salmon run tips was on? Or did I just imagine that that existed/

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yes that was it, thank you. Might be helpful to add it to the OP.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

[*]Ninja Squid made slower by nullifying swim speed ability by 20%

Yeesh. I used to use ninja squid a lot before i noticed exactly how slow it was making me. I think this will push me into not ever using it.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man the annaki beret and glasses looks so douchey it's perfect.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Mr. Shrug has a wife now.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone discovered a way to replace everyone in the square with new people?

I like to hunt for old splatnet exclusives off of other players and this would make it a lot easier.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Play more matches? It’s usually people you’ve played with recently.

The people inside of that building are replaced with recent people, but not the people out in the square where you can see the pictures they've drawn.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. People are finding assets in the current updates so probably very soon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it come out close to around Nintendo’s E3 announcements.

The eshop says July 31st and the Pearl and Marina amiibos are supposed to come out in July also.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Randumb Thots posted:

It's not about getting 3 extra snails it's about not wanting to put your head through a wall going 8-23. SplatFest is fun when it works but it gets real drat tedious real quick going 2 points at a time.

i was on team Leo and I won 2/3 of my games so not everyone sucked.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Leaf Lock posted:

They didn't though. There's no reference to it in the game. The only reference is in a separate thing called the Squid Sisters Stories, which almost no one knows exists, and that only indicates that they broke up because the final splatfest caused their popularity to rise to the extent that it made sense to pursue solo careers. I'd rather not entertain the fan theory that the developers decided to treat Callie fans like dirt as a result of something they probably already felt like dirt about. They did anyway of course, but to me that makes it much worse. Barely putting Callie in the game and what was in there was literally not the Callie they were familiar with. Then needing like 9 months of complaining to give her story resolution. Something that should have been there to begin with. Why would I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt when they already made so many lovely inconsiderate decisions? I'm just that nice I guess. It's probably true, the fan theory, though they've never explicitly stated it. The few times they've alluded to it, they've kept it vague. Perhaps they do realize how lovely it is.

I will treasure this post. Thank you.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Knorth posted:

I finished World 3 of the single player yesterday, the bouncy pad level was fun but also kicked my arse. Gunna do it, gunna rescue Callie!

Jeez, I'd forgotten how expensive ordered stuff is. I've got 24h to get 20k so I can afford these sweet hiking boots

You can use the meal tickets you can find in the campaign to make that easier. I just used this guide to pick them up as I was playing through it. I wouldn't recommend not using a guide because they're only in a few levels so you'd have to waste a lot of time to find them yourself.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you ever see someone wearing the octobowler shirt (a pink bowling shirt) with ninja squid on it, it's a great shirt to farm swim speed up chunks with.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Wrist Watch posted:

I’ll keep an eye out, but what makes it better at farming chunks exactly? I have swim speed up mains on my hat/shoes already (although iirc I had some other random shoes on at the time of that clip) so I’m not sure how much more I really need.

The brand affinity is for swim speed up, so 1/3 of the subs it rolls will be swim speed up. If you get ability chunks the good way, by rerolling using super sea snails, you can basically convert each super sea snail into an ability chunk of whatever type you want by using a piece of gear with the right affinity. If you reroll enough, you will eventually get all three slots full with the brand affinity sub ability. If you get that with the octobowler shirt, you now have a shirt with ninja squid and three swim speed up subs to help offset the decrease in swim speed, which is a very useful thing to have.

The only downside is that you have to waste a snail to increase its slots to three.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those jellies are weird. Especially the ones in the plaza that stare down at the ground extending just one tentacle for some reason.

I've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to position myself just right in squid form so the tentacle is piercing one of my squid's eyes.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

The N-Zap 89 is too good. I don't think I'll ever move past it, and all these greyed out weapons I have yet to unlock can just gather dust for all I care.

I haven't touched the nzap since the neo splash-o-matic released

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I rarely play ranked so just ignore that score...

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Basically they're too lewd for a "kid's game" like Splatoon according to one camp. Opinions differ on the matter.

It's probably good to mention that Splatoon is popular in all age groups.

What?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Personnaly id like obese squids with big, pendulous boobs and swollen buttcheeks.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Rediscovered this when I was looking through my screenshots

I love how completely uninterested the other squid looks.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Going with my girl Pearl again and hoping it doesn't suck as much as last week's splatfest.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I went to squidboards to see if I could get a feel for which turtle is more popular and found this video possibly showing how a new weapon might work.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had tons of connection issues on my way to king last night. For awhile I was getting ”a communication error has occurred” after every single match ended, and the only way to stop it temporarily was to restart the game.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

also is there any reason not to just use the roller at all times, it seems so far like the best most controllable weapon

I'd say enjoy using the roller now while you're up against really bad people who won't even know you're there until you've already run them over. It's a lot of fun while it lasts.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Owers posted:

And always be pressing Y to re-centre your view when your controller is back in a neutral position. That's probably just as important. I use a pro controller, for what that's worth.

Uh no, that is not needed at all. I only re-center if I get too excited and gently caress up the gyro from flailing the controller around.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Swim speed up so you can rush in and kill people before they know what's happening.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

juche avocado posted:

Put another way, virtually every game Pulp plays will count. No Pulp gets a match that counts much less frequently (personally, I played mirror matches 66%-75% of the time), so even if they're performing exactly as well as Pulp, they are likely to have fewer wins overall

No, that is not how numbers work. If they're performing exactly as well as pulp then the pulp vs no-pulp wins will be split evenly. The number of mirror matches changes nothing.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To demonstrate, let's say 80% of people choose no-pulp. The pulp and non-pulp players are exactly evenly matched, so that wins are split evenly between them.

So, every 100 games, there will be 40 pulp vs no-pulp matches and 60 no-pulp vs no-pulp matches. Pulp will get 20 wins for 40 matches played, which is a 50% win rate. No-pulp will get 80 wins (20 from the match-ups against pulp and 60 from the no-pulp vs no-pulp since there will be a no-pulp winner in ever match of that type) for 160 matches played (40 against pulp and 120 for no-pulp vs no-pulp since each one is two matches for team no-pulp), which is a 50% win rate.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

juche avocado posted:

Additionally, at a certain point people are gonna get burned out on playing matches they know don't matter. I know I did, at least. I played up to No Pulp Champion, not feeling like going up to King. Most of the games that I played to get that rank were mirrors. I played 18 matches and it turns out, having just checked, I had a lovely 9-9 record. Only 4 of the wins, and 7 of the losses, were against the other team. It's not outlandish to assume that if I had the same record but played for Team Pulp, it'd be closer to 9 victories (and losses) that counted, if not the whole 9.

There might also be someone who had a 9-9 record on your team whose 9 wins were all in matches against the other team and 9 losses were all against their own team, meaning they had a 100% win rate in their matches against the other team despite only having a 50% win rate overall. You're thinking about this all wrong.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

juche avocado posted:

and there might be someone with a slab of pork butt on their head who was extremely good at aiming their inkjet using only their nose for control input, and that person might have played on team pulp, and that's why they won, maybe

Look, you complained that your 9 wins over 18 matches (50% win rate) wasn't reflected in the matches that mattered, where you had 4 wins over 11 matches (36% win rate), and so it would be beneficial if you were on the other team, where every match would have mattered and so your 50% win rate would be perfectly reflected. I'm just trying to point out that this can go both ways and doesn't only help the other team as you seem to think. Your win rate in the matches that mattered could have been above your overall win rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

juche avocado posted:

Yeah, sorry I hammed about so many words to try to make my point so inelegantly. From the start, that's what I meant by needing a greater number of matches played to affect win%. That the effort/time expended by the less popular team is worth more than the effort/time expended by more popular team because the matchmaker makes matches with what it has, and what it has is a glut of No Pulp Lovers.

And our effort isn't infinite and neither is our ability to play games within 24 hours and, obviously, neither is 24 hours.

The more popular team has more people playing, though. Even if your effort affects the win percentage less, that's made up by the fact that you have more people on your team. You personally do not have to expend any more effort than someone on the other team, that effort is made up through the greater number of people on your team.