Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

https://twitter.com/trintran/status/883914033866211329

What the gently caress, Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Have they explained how you get meal and drink tickets?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think so.

Most of the meals seemed to give XP bonuses, so my guess is its a sort of catch-up mechanic.
We'll probably all get a set number of meal tickets over time, so people who only play every so often can catch up to those who grind the game all day long everyday.

Yeah the meals give either XP or cash bonuses. Drinks make your gear level faster and make it more likely that they'll get a certain ability when they level up.

I'm far more excited about drinks, I'm hoping it's a cheap way to tilt the scales towards whatever abilities I'm gunning for. The ability shards system looks real cool but it does take a lot of shards to get an ability.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Calaveron posted:

Is the squiddish written on it translate to Hori?

No, it's the logo of Forge

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Tickets are rewards from Salmon Run and something called Hero Mode.

Hero mode is the single-player "rescue Callie" campaign

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I've been thinking, maybe Callie is the better Squid Sister

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Send me the bad squid idol amiibo, I will fill my home with a thousand gremlins

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Dr. Fetus posted:

Amiibo are always ugly.

Please be kind to our friends

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I don't think we should nerdshame, learning about the differences in gyro implementation between Splatoon 1 and 2 is cool.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Man in bike shorts drowns in brightly colored paint, leaves note reading "woomy"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

For those of you curious

quote:

Please note that Super Sea Snails will not be distributed for the Splatfest World Premiere event taking place this weekend. Save data from the demo will not carry over into the full game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

enojy posted:

That's like 15% bummer (that saves won't get you anything in the full game) and 85% adorable (wtf is a super sea snail?)

Zaphod42 posted:

Now in Splat 2 abilities are more like gems from diablo, so I wonder if sea snails will also be used to remove or implant abilities as well.

The tumblr post for the super sea snail says you need snails to add slots and scrub secondary abilities. A previous post regarding Murch, the new gear-modifying urchin, laid out how gear modification works.

Adding slots seems like it'll work exactly like Splatoon 1, just dropping snails to add slots to gear that doesn't come with three. Rerolling has been completely reworked, though. You scrub the secondary abilities from a piece of gear by paying Murch. Each ability you scrub generates ability shards. Collect enough shards of a certain type and you can fill in a slot with that ability. Combined with the drinks Sean sells which increase the chances of getting certain ability rolls I think the new system is by far a better one, there is a way to influence the RNG and if you invest enough effort you can slot the exact abilities you want.

tldr: you collect the cute snails and feed them to a sea urchin who eats them alive

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2017 around 15:36

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

more details on forming teams during splatfests

quote:

Team mode requires four players (must be friends with someone from the same team who is in the Lobby) to join a private lobby before being matched up against another team of four.

Seems like you absolutely need a team of four, and I'm not sure but it sounds like you need to be on the same side of the conflict. Discuss ice cream and cake with your friends!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2017 around 18:27

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

hummina hummina hummina

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

From pixiv

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

NormenKD posted:

I asked this a while ago in the Switch thread, but i'll try again here:
Do you know any Writeups/Videos of the Splatoon 1 Story? I ain't gonna buy a Wii U.

Last time i asked i got "Octarians are bad" and the OP doesn't give much more.
Surely there is more to know, considering how invested everyone is in the Squid Sisters...

Here's a pretty good broad-strokes overview of the world of Splatoon.

Splatoon 1's story mode in a nutshell: Cap'n Cuttlefish, grandfather of Callie and Marie, fought in the Great Turf War against the Octarians and was maintaining a lonely vigil over Octo Valley at the time of Splatoon 1. The Octarians under the command of DJ Octavio steal Inkopolis's Great Zapfish, an important source of electricity, and the player is enlisted by Cuttlefish to recover the Zapfish as Agent 3. While the player is left to assume Agents 1 and 2 died in battle, after DJ Octavio kidnaps Cuttlefish it's revealed that Agents 1 and 2 are in fact Callie and Marie. In the final showdown with Octavio the Squid Sisters arrive and play one of their signature songs to assist the player in defeating Octavio and recovering their grandfather. The campaign ends as the Great Zapfish is restored to Inkopolis, and Cuttlefish resumes his vigil over the valley alongside DJ Octavio trapped in a snow-globe.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica...933673534693376

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Max posted:

I am almost certain Reggie is Team Ice Cream and that just bolsters my resolve to contribute to Team Cake.

I don't know about Reggie, but Bill is all in on ice cream
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica...939008609468416
God damnit, Bill

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

tap my mountain posted:

Whoa don't bring birthdays into this, that's like trying claim turkey is better than chicken because of Thanksgiving.

lol if you wouldn't get down on some Thanksgiving chicken

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

They dropped a whole bunch of stuff on the Squid Research tubmblr today, but here's some highlights:

The ability doubler main is only found on the Splatfest tee. Maybe I was the only one curious about this? Anyhow this seems to be a good way to reward squids who bother to grind XP on their borrowed t-shirts.

Dapple dualie details. They trade range for mobility, and come with the squid beakon sub and the suction bomb launcher special.
Clash blaster characteristics. It trades damage for fire rate, and comes with the splat bomb sub and the stingray special
Goo tuber trivia. It trades charge rate for the ability to hold a charge for a long time, and comes with the suction bomb sub and the splashdown special.

The Brella isn't gonna be around on day 1, and will come in a future update. I was really looking forward to going Mary Poppins on some squids but I guess I'll wait.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2017 around 00:52

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Zelder posted:

Gimme a shotgun analogue Nintendo that's all I ask for

The bucket is a decent shotgun analogue. Powerful close-range weapon with spread.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Zelder posted:

Eh I want something gun shaped. My demands are weird, I know

The sploosh-o-matic is probably the closest thing in Splatoon 1 to this. Powerful weapon with decent spread and very limited range. An acceptable AA-12 analogue IMO.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Denim Avenger posted:

Solo matches? How is that tracked?

There are separate matchmaking pools for people who jump in solo and for people who jump in as a team of four. If you and your three friends queue together you'll only ever see other four-stacks.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

jetpackhewy posted:

I hope they make that less rigid down the line. I only have one friend that owns a Switch and is also interested in Splatoon 2, so it will be a bit annoying to try to be on the same team.

Dugong posted:

Is there no option to play with 1 or 2 friends during a Splatfest? Does it have to be either solo or a full team?

I'm only going by what I read on the Splatoon Tumblr, which seemed to indicate that a full squad of four squids was required. Splatoon 1 accommodated two or three player lobbies outside of splatfests and I have no reason to believe Splatoon 2 is gonna be different.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2017 around 16:28

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I mean just friggin try it and see what happens

Reggie probably won't bust through your wall and smash your Switch or anything

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Futaba Anzu posted:

how long does it take for results to show up? are they precanned or custom made to specific results?

The results should be live an hour after the splatfest ends

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I could have sworn you could do that in Splatoon 1 but maybe I just made a habit of mashing my screen madly while I was respawning

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Do tenta missiles fire the same number of missiles every time and split them amongst the targeted squids? I seemed to have better luck dropping missiles on one or two squids.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I got a lot of kills with the missiles early on but people caught on to the pink circle of doom pretty quick. After a while it was only useful for flushing squids and picking off tunnel-visioned chargers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

I wasn't complaining, it's a good thing! I'm glad specials have taken a step back since the days of the kraken.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

https://twitter.com/babylonian/stat...583078868713474

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

SpaceDrake posted:

also is it appropriate to make playable octoling™ theories once again or nah

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Solo queue is a different matchmaking pool anyhow, you'll never be matched against people using comms.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just so you know story spoilers and screenshots are floating around now. Saw one and while it was cute it makes me SUPER curious as to what the story actually is.

(Sunken Scroll spoiler)
Apparently when Agent 3 fought DJ Octavio the surrounding Octarians had no idea what was actually going on and thought that he was just headlining for a guest performance from the sisters. Marina and some of her octoling/octarian friends were just watching and having a blast.

This game has the best lore

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Please stop posting inkling agitprop

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

INKFOWARS DOT COM

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

There's still a bomb defense ability, it'll be interesting to see what it's capable of

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

You can jump to the shops straight from the menu if you really don't want to stroll around the plaza looking for fresh posts.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

This guy's stuff owns

https://twitter.com/cyan_beans/stat...121581836070912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013

Wretched Harp

Kelp Plankton posted:

I can't wait for Splatoon 3 when we get to meet Big Judd