Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Since the Switch isn't region locked, you can technically create a JP and EU profile, download their Splatfest Demo, and then play it.

It's a nice option if you happen to be busy during your region's Splatfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sorry to interrupt Cake vs. Ice Cream chat, but Nintendo put out a Youtube video for Salmon Run. They're... really bad at it, but they do show off another Salmon Run stage halfway through, Marooner's Bay.

https://youtu.be/7RvLHgwJep8

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

grand theft grotto posted:

Neat. The Splatfest power system is back but it places you after you play 7 matches. I wonder if it will be that way in the full game.

Edit: you don't get money for winning matches in the demo. You won't be buying gear so it makes sense nothing carries over.

All I wanted to do was change into some other headgear. Everyone wearing the same headband isn't fresh at all.

Keep getting matched into Pop vs. Pop matches.

Edit: Also, it seems it's purposefully matching people close by, so even if it's the JP Splatfest all the teams are mostly English.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Are you supposed to be able to get in the opponents area in the Art place by jumping off the sculpture? It feels like it shouldn't work, but it's not particularly hard to do.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Ended up at 88/99 for Pop. A few matches got dropped, but considering it's a demo and I'm playing the JP Splatfest it's not too surprising.

Also, the most important thing (Plaza photo spoiler'd in case you want to wait for your Splatfest):

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2017 around 12:26

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Rock wins!

Score system is Popularity, Solo Matches, and Team Matches. So one point per victory, for 2-1 total.

151-149 by old ranking system, which is really close.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2017 around 14:14

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

While the Art Academy is still up in Europe:

You can paint and jump onto the sculpture here, and from there, jump into the opponents side of the map. Odds are if you have the chance to jump up there your team is set already, but it could be a way to scare a pesky sniper out or just have fun.

Icedude posted:

You can adjust the pitch of the music on the "Waiting for players" screen with the left stick

...and it's already Ice Cream vs Ice Cream

No more minigames sadly, but if you want to play with the music:

Left Control Stick is Pitch, Right Control Stick is Percussion.

ABYX are original background voices, D-Pad seems to be a new set.

ZL and ZR are the echo-y sound in the background? Maybe L&R do something too, but I couldn't tell.

I tend to mash while waiting, so it was fun realizing the odd sounding waiting room and Victory/Loss music was completely my fault.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it also needs to be mentioned that Marina laid out some absolutely brutal smack-talk on Pearl in the level announcements at the start.

Not just at the start: you miss these unless you restart the app.

Holy poo poo Marina.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do tenta missiles fire the same number of missiles every time and split them amongst the targeted squids? I seemed to have better luck dropping missiles on one or two squids.

I believe it's four missiles per squid you target, so targeting more gets you more missiles.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Just messages that boil down to "Complete Single Player first"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Octobrush is the one you get in Story mode as the 'Inkbrush' weapon type representative.

For the Inkbrush itself, (minor Weapon shop spoilers) I took a quick peek at the full list of weapons he sells, and the Octobrush is the only brush he's selling right now at Level 10. Inkbrush is guaranteed to appear as free DLC though, and I can't imagine it'll take a long time to arrive. If it doesn't appear within the first few weeks I'd be really surprised.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/...831551790206976

Also, anyone with an early copy of the game happen to have the Salmon Run schedule available?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Think I'll just head off to bed for now and try again later . Hopefully you squidkids will get your downloads going with one less person causing congestion.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

I love Salmon Run.

But I suck at the Charger, but I keep getting it in the last wave. I've been saving my special to cover for my lack of Charging ability.

For example, getting stuck in the last wave with a Charger when two people disconnected. It sucks.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I really don't like the Charger there. I feel like I can make more of an impact with the other weapons, but I'm not sure on what I can really do with the Charger. I guess snipe certain types of Boss Salmonids?

The main trick behind it seems to be trying to line up shots of multiple Salmonids since a fully charged shot can pierce targets now, and other wise you're best at support, excluding the few Bosses that Chargers seem to be best at (unless a Splatling is available).

I say this as someone who completely gave up on Chargers in Splatoon 1, so???

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Another Salmon Run tip - Splat Bombs can both revive allies, and explode immediately if they hit an unconcious ally.

Throwing a bomb towards your dead team while two Grillers are chasing you can turn a round around.

Edit: I can't handle Overachiever as a Charger. I just cross my fingers I get it in the first round.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2017 around 10:55

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

So I didnt't mind not being able to leave lobbies until I was trapped in a 1 person Salmon Run by myself, and it still counts as a pay cut if you lose despite it being impossible.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Levelling tips!

• Get to World 2 of Octo Valley - you can find Crusty Sean's x1.5 EXP tickets
  • At Level 4, get 600p in Salmon Run to get a x2 EXP ticket. You can get a second at 1200p.
  • Try to stick to one weapon for a while. 'Flow' from Splatoon 1 is now by weapon, and getting it to 5.0 gets you a 3000p Freshness Bonus. Not sure if getting higher then that does anything.

Also, Starfish Stage Ranked has the same problem Blackbelly Skatepark does. You can grab the Rainmaker and get to the goal in like 10 seconds.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Zaphod42 posted:

God loving damnit I hate getting the charger on the last round of salmon run. Its a guaranteed wipe because I'm the only person who can be bothered to rez teammates and its really hard with the charger to fight and rez and get eggs.

I suggest the Splat Bomb for emergency rescues if you have the Ink. They explode instantly if they hit someone, slight AoE, and it's easy to quickly throw one out and keep running away.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Someone asked about the Inkbrush before.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/stat...3071592449?s=09

Tomorrow.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Akarshi posted:

People will look at your inkling in the plaza with fear and awe.

Also, has anyone leveled up enough for the nozzlenoses? I'm curious as to what their kit is.

Nice database of Splat2 stuff here.

L-3 is Curling Bomb and Baller at Level 18, H-3 is Point Sensor and Tenta Missles at Level 29.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

What does the "OK" line in your rank mean?

If you fully crack your bar, you'll maintain your rank as long as you're at or above the line. If not, you drop down.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Not to mention it's Wave 1.

Salmon Run is hilariously unbalanced for less then four people. Less eggs doesn't mean much if the amount of enemies are the same.

3 person is manageable with some luck, but 1 on the higher difficulties sucks. It really shouldn't penalize you if you get less then a max team.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

CatsPajamas posted:

Where do you see the tide level in the UI for Salmon run? On Marooner's Bay unless I go back to check if the tide was rising or not I've waited until the 5 count to get the indicator of where the basket is and spammed "This Way" if I'm the only one header for it since like you said naturally everyone goes the other direction.

Look at the very bottom of the screen at the beginning of Salmon Run as the countdown is starting. The bottom of the screen will have a semi-transparent wave overlay that can go up and down. It'll tell you if the upcoming wave will be high, normal or low tide.

I'd grab a screen shot, but no one can play Salmon Run right now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

pichupal posted:

Look at the very bottom of the screen at the beginning of Salmon Run as the countdown is starting. The bottom of the screen will have a semi-transparent wave overlay that can go up and down. It'll tell you if the upcoming wave will be high, normal or low tide.

I'd grab a screen shot, but no one can play Salmon Run right now.

And now I can. It's easier to see in game when it's moving.

I'm really hating this wave, although running around with the Octobrush when everything is chasing you is fun. It's hard to do anything else with it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Should be Level 1 for headgear, Level 6 for Main Body, Level 9 for Shoes in regards to the Amiibo outfits. Not sure if Callie and Marie are the same.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

bizarre deformity posted:

Do you have to save your loadout to get the option to get gear?

Also, the alternate colored Splatoon amiibo do the same thing as the regular ones, right?

Alternate colour should do the same thing as the regular Splatoon 1 Amiibo, and it should give you the gear before the prompt to take a photo appears if you're past the right level.

I've never saved gear or taken a photo with my Amiibo and managed to get them, but I could be off about the Levels for the shoes, I was past 10 when I got my School Shoes.

No idea. Could be matches participated in? Something else that correlates with Level perhaps.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2017 around 23:36

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Escobarbarian posted:

So I found the solution for this elsewhere. It's weird, but after you get the hat you have to go to the Equip menu - Other - amiibo and save a gear set to that amiibo. Then go back to the main amiibo bit and scan it and you get the shirt/shoes (provided you're the right level)

Huh, it matched up with what I experienced, but it could just be a correlation. Could be linked to the amount of battles you've participated in, so it's naturally match up to Level a little.

edit: I was wrong about the Level thing. I hadn't scanned my Splatoon 1 Squid Amiibo yet since I didn't want the outfit, but he doesn't give me the rest of his stuff immediately. I'll see if I can find anything else on line to indicate what the condition could be.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dexo posted:

LEAVE NO SQUID BEHIND.

Run away, and while nothing is around them since they're chasing you, throw bombs in their general direction.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Just to add on to the Salmon Run guide:

Zaphod42 posted:

STICK TOGETHER. Holy poo poo stick together. This is #1. If you run off by yourself to kill some boss monster by yourself you are DOING IT WRONG. You kill that boss monster, they drop 3 golden eggs, you grab 1, and... what's your plan now hotshot? Meanwhile your teammates need your help somewhere else.

If you're dealing with Stingers across the map, it's completely acceptable to go solo, take it out, grab one egg then join your team again. Splitting up will be a lot more important when on Profreshional where the prority shifts a lot more to taking things out then grabbing all the eggs that drop, but just don't be stupid about it when going solo. Pairs works well too.

quote:

Constantly keep an eye on your teammates and if anybody dies rez them as soon as you possibly can.

Pro tip for reviving people: if you have the ink, throw bombs. It's something you can do while swimming through ink, won't really slow you down, and you din't even need to be very close to them to revive them.

quote:

Grillers round has several big grills (ufos) spawn and target players. The targeted players should run to a safe position fairly high up on the map, and the rest of the players should line up and kill them as they pass.

Griller tips are good, but I wouldn't call them UFOs when one of the boss events is literally an Alien Mothership. Also, Rollers are perfect for dealing with Small Fry, so help out your Charger if they get swarmed.

Speaking of the boss events not covered:

Nighttime Event - Mothership

• Spread out at the start and keep looking up when you can.
  • Aim to hit the Salmonids before they drop boxes to get a Golden Egg.
  • If you can't stop a box from being dropped, it'll spawn Salmonids, so try to take them out or else you can get overwhelmed. Throw bombs at distant ones if you can spare the ink to save time.
  • Twice a round, the Mothership will try to steal Golden Eggs from your basket. When Mr. Grizz warns you, you have about 10 seconds to wrap up what you're doing before you should immediately head back to the basket, where you need at the minimum three people (or two with a special like Sting Ray) to attack the mothership before it takes an egg.
  • Some map specific tips: The Spawning Grounds Mothership event during low tide is really misleading. A large portion of the boxes don't actually drop at the beach, but near the edge of the regular stage. A Charger might be best off not actually going on the beach and sniping the flying Salmonids.

Nighttime Event - Goldie Geyser

• Apparently the Geyser with the Goldie will shine brighter then the others, but I have never been able to tell?
  • When you find the Goldie, tell everyone. Attack it and it'll drop Golden Eggs.
  • Protip for non-Carbon Rollers, get in between wherever the Goldie is and where it's going (preferably close to the basket), and Roll into it instead of flinging ink.
  • Once you've reached your target, you can just ignore the geysers and clean up. You can get more Eggs, but it's an added risk that could cost you a special use if you get overwhelmed by Salmonids.

Nighttime Lowtide Event - Cohock Wave

• This is the event where Cannons appear to use. (Cohoks are those big regular Salmonids that take a few hits).
  • You'll need someone manning a cannon to deal with them to recover Eggs without getting swarmed.
  • If you are manning a cannon, keep an eye out for Maws and Flyfish - they will go straight for you in this mode, and you have limited visibility around you when you're in the cannon which makes it very easy to get splatted when you're far away from your team.

quote:

Also learn which bosses you can comfortably solo. Most of them can be taken down by 1 squid if you're on the ball, but a few of them make it very very difficult. The one boss that charges a big bomb on his head and then launches it is very hard to take down solo, but with a group you can kill him very fast.

Just to add to this, a Charger, Spatling, Slosher and Dualies (roll right before the bomb is targetable for concentrated fire) can take it solo. It's normally just hard if you're dealing with things at your feet at the same time, which is why the Charger and Splatling are effective. That also means it's just as hard if your team's Charger/Splatling suck, or if multiple Steelheads spawn.

It's also not very useful, but you can grab and drop off Golden Eggs while using the Inkjet.

Edit: Also, paint the walls. Even Mr.Grizz suggests this, and it makes it really easy to escape most Salmonids, mess with Griller pathing, and general mobility.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 26, 2017 around 19:12

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Evil Eagle posted:

the ticket glitch is now fixed

Darn, should've grabbed more.

Oh well, I think what I have should bring me to the last weapon unlock which is all I really care about.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Riftling posted:

Is it fresher now? I need the hard hitting facts about this update.

Edit: I found the JP patch notes.

Loose translation summary:

Gear that had impossible abilities that were purchased from Annie's Splatnet shop (i.e. Stealth Junp on a Shirt) have been corrected with the Main Ability replaced with the default.

Fixed an issue viewing League Match data.

Following weapons have had the inked turf requirement for charging Specials updated:
  • Splat Dualies & Hero Replica - 180 to 170 (Tenta Missles)
  • Enperry Splat Dualies - 180 to 170 (Ink Jet)
  • Tentatek Splattershot - 190 to 210 (Ink Jet)
  • N-ZAP 85 - 180 to 200 (Ink Armor)
  • .96 Gal - 180 to 210 (Ink Armor)
  • Slosher & Hero Replica - 180 to 190 (Tenta Missiles)
  • Tri-Slosher - 180 to 210 (Ink Armor)
  • Mini-Splatling - 180 to 190 (Tenta Missles)

Worth mentioning that every Ink Armor weapon but the Splattershot Jr. (180 points for the curious) is in that list.

Doesn't mention fixing the ticket exploit, but that's not too surprising.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Jul 27, 2017 around 02:26

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Got to S+0 Rainmaker, and only one Japanese person in my lobby if people were wondering how matchmaking was working there. There is someone at Level 41 though, which seems ridiculous even with EXP tickets.

I'm in B for the other modes, I should really play them more. The ridiculous drop in playing ability really annoys me.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Manuel Calavera posted:

But the one with the proper language for the game.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Autobomb and Inkjet at 27.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Ink consumption on Blasters really sucks from what I can tell in Salmon Run.

Not liking the Crayon Blaster at all.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

I said I hate the weapon selection and yet...

Clash Blaster isn't as bad with some practice, but it still requires your team to help out a bit more for turf coverage and the range isn't great. Trying to run around with it is tricky, so if your team is overwhelmed it can get tough trying to run around and revive them. Tri-slosher is amazing though - beginner friendly, can reach Steelheads easily, doesn't use much ink, decent for turfing.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Had my first Mothership today after reaching Overachiever, it's a really fun event! Does it always happen at high tide?

Still haven't seen the gusher event yet. I hate the .96 Gal in Salmon Run.

Mothership can happen at normal and low tide too. Low Tide in the Spawning Grounds is the trickiest since it still uses a good amount of the regular tide area to drop off boxes, but the others arent too bad if your team is on top of things.

Gusher event can be tricky on the third wave without some luck. You either need to find the Goldie fast or hold off on attacking it until it's closer to the basket.

Edit: I think the Cohock Wave is also Overaachiever+. As long when manning the cannon you pay attention to Flyfish, Maws and Stingers, it's not bad (similarily, if someone is using the cannon at the top of the stage, keep track of who's alive so you can tell when they need rescuing). Just make sure someone is always manning a cannon.

tap my mountain posted:

Why can't you grind on top of rails in multiplayer like you can in single?

The Grind Rails in Single Player let you ride on top of them, but you also travel on them at a fixed speed and they're one-way. It would be even easier picking for Chargers.

pichupal fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2017 around 18:54

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

We failed this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.