Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Astro7x posted:

How do the bonuses in Salmon Run work? I got this green thing that had a speed bonus 4x. What do I do with it?
It's just min/max stuff for the endgame where you wanna have a specific style of clothing but also get certain bonuses. Don't worry about using them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Gimbal lock posted:

You press start to go in the equip menu, but I keep pressing start again to go back to the previous menu and nothing happens. Weird oversight.
B is back. It's not start/pause, it's +.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there any special reward for beating single player levels with each weapon or is it just a completionist thing?

Also I can't wait for the next Splatfest so I can learn the name of that song I like so much. (it's the one where the singer sounded like they were saying "lonely road" at the end of one line. not that that will help anyone)
If you complete all levels with a certain weapon you unlock the Hero version of that weapon.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Gimbal lock posted:

Yeah well B doesn't get you in the equip menu.

This is :goonsay: as hell
Quit thinking of it as a start button, it's your fundamental problem. Just because you use a button to open a menu doesn't mean that the same button will exit the menu.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Kraken posted:

I like that they put in a way to fast forward Sheldon's occasional dialogue but not the newscast you get upon booting up the game every single time.
lol if you don't just keep Splatoon running in the background for the entirety of your Switch gaming experience.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I thought walls counted for turf war. Do they not?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

Also, I don't feel like this will ever happen again:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
What does weapon freshness do again? Just a slight xp bonus at the end of a match?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

mabels big day posted:

How do you unlock the single player weapons in multiplayer, specifically the umbrella? Do I have to play every level with it?
Technically yes but umbrella still needs to be balanced for online so I don't think they're making that available yet, the other single player unlocks are just reskins of existing weapons.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you can't get out of C rank and you're blaming that fact on your teammates lmao.

The way it's set up you have to win like 5 times and you can lose 8 or so and still rank up. Also if you're a pro you can just skip whole levels when you level up cause the game knows you're good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can program a series of commands into the fight stick and it uses those to draw the picture like an old dot matrix. Interesting technically but kinda lame when every single postcard thing is a rasterbated meme.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Kraken posted:

So why did I go straight from C- to B- on my rank up?
The game can tell you're good (based on how you did in the matches compared to the other players) and bumped you up to try and get you to your correct level sooner.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You don't even need to use the dpad, just select a teammate on the map and button mash until you respawn.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Kaubocks posted:

i feel it cannot be overstated how god drat long it takes to level up in this game

even winning the majority of my games, using crusty sean tickets, and getting freshness bonuses, it took me HOURS to go from level 15 to 16

i just... want... a squelcher........... nintendo please, my family is dying
Once you're 10+ you should be doing ranked modes since those give you way more XP than Turf War. I went from 14-18 in a couple hours last night.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mystery Machine posted:

Wasn't really enjoying the game because of tilt controls, and then I did some single player and a bunch of Salmon Run and suddenly I have the skills to pay the bills. Went from losing twice as much as I won in Turf Wars to winning a whole lot and carrying my team by wide margins. It's really impressive how Salmon Run teaches you the core principles of doing well in this game a lot better than anything else. Switching to the Tentatek Splatters also really helped. Such nice guns.

now i am just frustrated my fashion is bad i don't need good gear i just wanna look s t y l i s h.
Salmon Run rules simply because it forces you to use and understand how different weapons work. 99% of the time in games like this people just get good enough with something they consider easy (Aerospray???) and then just main that 24/7 because they're either too lazy or too stupid to try out other stuff.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I have a weird problem where stuff will get pretty intense in Salmon Run and I'll accidentally activate my super because I was tilting the stick hard trying to dodge or something. It's annoying because most of the time I'll activate it on something really lame like a chud in wave 2 or something and I bet my teammates think I'm an idiot.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Stealth Jump isn't complete stealth they'll still be notified that someone is jumping into the area it just won't be locked down on a pin head.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lord Wexia posted:

Dumb question but can I sell or break down gear I don't want anymore?
If it has sub (little) abilities on it then you can pay Murch a hefty fee to turn it into shards or whatever the gently caress they're called. Not really worth it unless you're endgaming.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

Are they gonna need the Aerospray or what? When 3 out of the 4 people on the other team are using it it's a massacre.
Aerospray is easily negated by an actual offensive class who knows what they're doing (deaths create a huge splat that can really turn the tide in the last 10 seconds) which makes it all the more frustrating that you're not allowed to swap out your gear while currently in a lobby.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I wouldn't stress too much about finding perfect gear or checking the shop every 3 hours. You can special order any piece of clothing (with attached main stat) from Murch if you see it in the lobby. Just stroll around and check out what people are wearing and if you see someone with a badass jacket with Ink Refill stat on it just steal it from them.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Djarum posted:

Man the matchmaking drives me insane. Ranked is almost unplayable for me due to being teamed with people who have no idea what they are doing and no concept for playing as a group. The few times I do get lucky enough to get put with a good team it is great fun and I have had some great matches but a good 80% of the time it has been awful. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get to B- right now.
It's extremely forgiving. You can lose 10 times but if you have 4 good wins you'll still level up. Sure you'll have bad stretches but honestly if you can't get to B eventually then you're just not very good at the game.

I have felt the pain of starting a Splat Zones match and immediately watching 2 Aerospray team members run down the side of spawn just inking away. The game is still new and has a TON of fresh players (I never owned a WiiU or played S1). I'm sure people will start to get the hang of things.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lakbay posted:

Goddammit I want to play Splatoon not other games :(
I'm using it as a chance to get all golds in the sound test menu game.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Martytoof posted:

Nothing like unplanned "maintenance" to win over a crowd.

Hope they have some better quality control going forward once I'm paying for this online service.
oh poo poo!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like they made specials cost a bit more across the board, which I'm fine with.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lakbay posted:

What do the red numbers mean, I'm using the .96 gal and it has an adjustment on there
Cost in points to use your special move.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

g0lbez posted:

Was the ticket exploit that box near stage 6? I thought that was intentional
You're only meant to be able to collect it once.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The coin tickets are way more important for the endgame than the XP ones. :unsmigghh:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Drink tickets seem like a way for casuals to try and roll specific gear without spending billions farming ability chunks.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

What sense does that make? Wouldn't ranking up together help that more, not less???

The only way this helps is if you're great at one mode and bad at the other or something weird like that. And even then!

You work your way up to like B/A in one mode by clawing your way through the ranks of mouthbreathers who don't know how to focus on objectives, and then the game switches modes and you're right back with the shitheads.
It's good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Pants Donkey posted:

What does a yellow line on the rank progress bar mean?
If you're able to reach that mark before your bar shatters then you won't lose a level, your bar will just reset to 0.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

GI_Clutch posted:

I love when a turf war starts and I'm the only one rushing. The rest stand around meticulously inking every square inch of our base. Just wait until you die and fill in the blanks, you turds.

I gotta say I like the share feature of the mobile app. It makes a nice little summary of everything. Like when we lost a guy and I wrecked everyone. So much nicer than copying captured screens to my PC.

Cool.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lol if you think anything matters in turf war except for the last 25 seconds. You could sit perfectly still for a minute and a half and still win if you're a fragger.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Fetus posted:

By the way, if you want to stack the same sub abilities on the same piece of gear, you're gonna have to do a lot of ability chunk farming. Yes the cost is 10 chunks, but that's only for the first ability. Any more increases the cost by 10 more, meaning that it takes 60 ability chunks to get a piece of gear with the same sub-abilities.
Do it like upgrade scrolls in Maple Story. Use a drink for the sub you want and hope the first two rolls go your way, and then use your chunks for the last slot. If not, just scrub and try again.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's super annoying that it straight up won't let you buy gear you already have, even if it has a different more desirable main ability. Just let me waste my money and trash the old one!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't Spyke let you add slots to gear for a snail or 20k in the first game?
Yes. It's snail only now.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

wuggles posted:

What a level! How the gently caress are you supposed to hit the red block while you're chaining grapples?!
Hold forward.

Also, did I just see loving ICHIRO SUZUKI in the credits??????!??

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Evil Eagle posted:

There is no S- rank. Anyway, does anyone know if you can get rid of pieces of clothing that you own? There's a shirt that I already have in the shop but it has a different main ability and I want the new one
Nope. It's lame.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Jarogue posted:

You have to get Murch to steal the shirt off a squid and he will ask which one do you want and keeps the another. He also swaps shirts if you got one from Flow but then saw one at Annie's shop.
Does that even work though? Whenever I buy from Murch I forgot exactly what I wanted him to get and then later he says "well it's not exactly what you wanted but it's pretty close". Does that just refer to the random sub abilities?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

causticBeet posted:

My favorite is the unnecessarily long TV show dialogue that I need to skip through that could be summarized in a 1 page splash screen
It happens once every 2 hours and ONLY if you're just starting up the game or coming in from single player you huge loving baby. I've seen it like 6 times in 50 hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mahoning posted:

I realize I'm a filthy animal for taking a picture of my tv screen but until transferring screenshots off the Switch doesn't involve social media, this is how I'm rolling.

This is the absolute closest Turf War I've ever seen:

An actual tie in points.