Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Elman posted:

So what controls does everyone use? Pro controller, joycons, handheld?

I've been using split joycons so far since they feel a lot like mouse and keyboard and that's what I'm used to. It seems like most pro players and streamers use the pro controller, but is it actually better or is it just because most of them are used to console shooters?

I tried the joycon grip for an hour or two just in case, but it felt off to me. I suppose I could give it more time.

I use the joycon grip when on tv and handheld when... handheld. Yeah, I’d say the pro controller and tv is probably the best way to play but I don’t feel outgunned other ways. Just do what’s comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That boy octoling looks cool. I do hope they get more than one hairstyle each though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

I saw the original TNNT movie in the theater on my birthday with my friends and Raphael yelled a swear word, so...

I’m going to be disappointed if I don’t see at least one piece of art of the New York cityscape with a big drat written on it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The game has lag issues, sure, but it’s not notably much worse than other multiplayer shooters I’ve played.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shinmera posted:

It definitely is for me. Never had any game that has provided me as many connection issues as Splatoon.

Which is to say, lag is not that often an actual problem, but flat out disconnects sure are.

It’s usually fine for me and disconnects are rare but today is definitely an issue.:bang:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got constant Donnie mirrors so I was surprised he lost popularity. I guess more people than usual were playing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

ech this is makin my head hurt to try to coordinate

i was not a dedicated wii u guy, gyro aim does not come natural

Keep at it and try to fine tune sensitivity too.

Once it finally clicks for you, every dual stick shooter without gyro will be sluggish and lovely.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo has already been banning hacked Switches from homebrew devs that go online so I’m not too worried about hacks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope they wait until the next console before we get a Splatoon 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

Are the sensationalist articles about the game currently being full of hackers true? I was thinking of jumping back in but if there's hackers now...

There were only a few and Nintendo banned them already apparently. You’re fine. I played like a dozen or so hours this week and didn’t see one hacker.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s good to know that you can do it from the app. Seems to be quicker and less clunky than doing it on the Switch UI.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1003697825857671171
New gear on offer that relates to the Nintendo World Championship event at E3. I suspect getting it requires you to activate the game from a certain news item.

That’s awesome. I like that they kept it in universe with the weird Splatoon written language.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The article to get the Splatoon 2 World Championship shirt is now up! Go to your Switch News feed, and start up through the game that article provides, and you'll get the shirt.

:siren:THE ARTICLE IS TEMPORARY! ONCE IT DISAPPEARS OFF OF THE FEED, YOUR CHANCE TO GET THE SHIRT IS GONE FOREVER!:siren:

It plops a box for it right in the square.:3:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rather they focus on improving clam blitz before adding another ranked mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love that Moray Towers is the Splatoon stage. Someone at Nintendo really loves that stage.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh poo poo.:eyepop:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was told that Splatoon 2 has bad online due to its low tick rate. Is that true?

I guess? It’s not something you’ll really notice during gameplay unless you’re ultra competitive.

I didn’t know they were originally planning to stop updates in July. That’s really dumb and I’m glad they’re changing it. I feel like even towards the end of the year is too soon unless they’re planning a Splatoon 3 on this same console.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m fine with no more weapons and stages eventually. We have a ton already. I just want Splatfests to last longer than in Splatoon 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

I wanna get back into Splatoon but I was stuck on B rank and I use filthy.... Sticks

We all use sticks. The key is to use gyro together with sticks.;)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just popping in to say this DLC owns. The Pearl and Marina chat logs are amazing. I forgot how much I enjoy the world is these games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wrist Watch posted:

I loaded up my game and literally everyone on the street was an octoling. Is the dlc that easy to complete?

The DLC isn’t easy at all but lets you skip stages. I’m sure some people skipped every stage just so they could be an octoling in multiplayer right away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s the best idea for a Splatfest they had in awhile.

Team No-Pulp. I don’t like chewing my drinks thank you very much.:colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

g0lbez posted:

Just chiming in to say I love the Octo Expansion and everything about it. The story, the challenge, the length and the music. It's all literally great thanks for reading

I think it may be the best dlc Nintendo has done and that’s saying something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SolusLunes posted:

So as someone who turned off tilt controls almost first thing, am I missing out on pro-twitch tiltaction? Does it make an actual difference in skill? (I'm using the Pro Controller with the Switch hooked up to the TV, mind.)

Honestly I was immediately turned off by tiltaiming because it looked like Michael J. Fox was playing vijjergames. Am I loving up?

e: :widowsnypa:

I think so. This game doesn’t have auto aim like other console shooters so you’ll be at a disadvantage a lot of the time. Unless you use rollers, motion doesn’t make as much of difference with those. Give them another try, once it clicks you’ll never want to play a dual stick game without them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Gyro controls give you a lot more control over your aim, so they're generally the recommended control scheme. Though it's possible to do well without them. Heck, there are Splat Charger/Splatterscope players in competitive that uses sticks only.

Interview about how Switch Online could affect the playerbase. No more single player expansions are planned. Paid multiplayer related content isn't out of the question, apparently.

Judging by the constant Octoling only games I keep getting into, I think the player base will be just fine after paying only $20 (or less with group buys) a year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shinmera posted:

Having a literal remote detonator strapped to your back in octo expansion makes the whole thing feel oddly oppressive to me.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1010999491636482048

I think that’s the whole point since you’re a previously brainwashed Octoling.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I suck with sub weapons since I’m bad at watching my ink count.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I always choose the thing I like more even if I think it’ll be popular or unpopular. I have enough snails already.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Girl Power Station was definitely the hardest for me. It took me like ten tries. The post game boss was easier imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jizz Festival posted:

To demonstrate, let's say 80% of people choose no-pulp. The pulp and non-pulp players are exactly evenly matched, so that wins are split evenly between them.

So, every 100 games, there will be 40 pulp vs no-pulp matches and 60 no-pulp vs no-pulp matches. Pulp will get 20 wins for 40 matches played, which is a 50% win rate. No-pulp will get 80 wins (20 from the match-ups against pulp and 60 from the no-pulp vs no-pulp since there will be a no-pulp winner in ever match of that type) for 160 matches played (40 against pulp and 120 for no-pulp vs no-pulp since each one is two matches for team no-pulp), which is a 50% win rate.

lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

I finished Octo Canyon! :toot:

That was a cool final boss fight and good as hell music.

Now on to the Octo Expansion

Oh man, the expansion is so so much better so you’re in for a treat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

Oh god I think I might regret buying the Octo Expansion

this is all platforming/puzzle levels, isn't it

gently caress

Not really. There’s actually a lot of variety between levels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just do the cheaper levels first. You’ll never run out then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just keep at it. Some of the challenges are really tough but it’s so satisfying to finally pass them. Your new skills will transfer to multiplayer too.:)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brushes are for moving around the stage quickly and ambushing people. They can be very effective if you play more stealthily.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t have much trouble with the expansion other than Girl Power Station but than again I have a big amount of time in this series between 1 and 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

Same here, but it was definitely fun the whole way through.

Yup and the final boss somehow tops the amazing Splatoon 1 final boss.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

That makes sense! I'll have to try that out at some point.

Is there a game mode where the Octobrush really shines more than others?

It shines more in any of the ranked modes since it’s easier to sneak around and flank due to people focusing on objectives.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

b_d posted:

the girl power station is going to make me break my joycons into even smaller controllers

I recommend watching a YouTube walkthrough and following what they do. Don’t even bother trying to use weapons other than the roller or octobrush.

Also don’t even bother trying to grab special weapons once poo poo starts going down. You really only have time to grab one, I recommend the splashdown one near the center since you can grab the armor too next to it on the way to deal with the first enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/splatooncafe/status/1013059231547736065?s=21