Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tonight's Best Match Will Be:
This poll is closed.
Brock vs Joe 25 27.78%
Roman vs Braun 15 16.67%
Seth vs Bray 1 1.11%
Alexa vs Sasha 10 11.11%
Iron Man Tag Match 9 10.00%
Enzo vs Big Cass 7 7.78%
The Miz vs Ambrose 3 3.33%
Neville vs Tozawa 20 22.22%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They put Braun over massively tonight OP

yeah having him walk away from literally being murdered came off like a huge babyface turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Braun basically beat the poo poo out of Roman and looked better than him, then Roman did something idiotic and basically beat himself, then Roman got furious about losing fairly and he stole a vehicle and then attempted to murder Braun using that vehicle.

I mean it probably isn't a double turn but it sure doesn't feel like Roman was booked as a face. And the commentary didn't bend over backwards to justify it, as they usually would for faces.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cardboard Box posted:

he's been doing really good in-ring work for a while now

lol

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i knew i could count on you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

He's doing so bad that he's turned Braun into one of the biggest stars in the company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like seriously do you think Braun would be getting these reactions if he was in a feud with like, Seth Rollins or Bray Wyatt or some poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like seriously do you think Braun would be getting these reactions if he was in a feud with like, Seth Rollins or Bray Wyatt or some poo poo

this has very little to do with his ring work i feel

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's like how batista made roman into a beloved face

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ever since Heyman laid out his promo outline on Austin's podcast I can see it in every promo he does and it has become immensely boring and cookie cutter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to be excited about Braun, and I would like to think they'll treat Joe differently after this.

But they won't. And we all know it. Braun is just the long Roman feud, and Joe was the "heh, check this out SMARKS" opponent that Vince likes to jerk around every now and then. Both will be back in the shuffle. Neither will matter come Wrestlemania.

As always, this is the WWE's opportunity to make me eat my words. But they won't take it, because they are the WWE.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Ever since Heyman laid out his promo outline on Austin's podcast I can see it in every promo he does and it has become immensely boring and cookie cutter

No but see HE'S THE BEST TALKER IN THE COMPANY.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Samoa Joe rules

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
They had Roman go over Taker cleaner and easier than pretty much anyone in history 4 months ago to close out Mania (Brock comes close but I figure that match would have been much more competitive if not for the concussion,) does anyone actually believe that Braun isn't going to be soundly beaten on Raw sometime in late July/early August to set Roman up for Brock at Summerslam

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think that's hard to answer. I've said before that I think Roman matches benefit greatly from the intensity of the crowd reactions. You're basically guaranteed to get loud boos and loud cheers, chants, etc. because people either love Roman or hate him. So Braun definitely benefits from that.

On the other hand, if Braun was feuding with someone else, he most likely would not be booked the same. I bet crowds would enjoy a monster that repeatedly beats the poo poo out of an upper-carder and tips them over in an ambulance and throws tiny wrestlers into garbage bins. But if he was feuding with, say, Rollins, I doubt they'd dedicate that much time and effort to him. Does Roman deserve credit for the fact that Braun gets way more time to be built as a threat because the company devotes more effort to things involving Roman?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He is. Being stuck with Brock isn't doing him any good though.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Paul Heyman on his worst night puts more emphasis and vitriol into his promos than like half the loving roster on both shows. You know this, man. He's phoning it in, but in sheer ability he is definitely the best talker in the company even if he's underutilizing it.

A dude who has the ability to be great but currently isn't because of lovely booking is still a better talker than somebody who is just flat out bad, like Roman Sufferin' Succotash Reigns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Miz is a better talker than Heyman. Cena too.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I also think Joe is a really underrated talker and maybe one of the top 5 in the company.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they're also given more to talk about than just how great their client brock lesnar is

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'll give Roman this much: with the infuriating way that the company has been booked completely around him to make him look strong for the past few years, I have built up enough searing hatred for him that he could get clowned on every night for the next decade and it would continue to entertain me. I enjoy watching him be made to look stupid.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Paul Heyman on his worst night puts more emphasis and vitriol into his promos than like half the loving roster on both shows. You know this, man. He's phoning it in, but in sheer ability he is definitely the best talker in the company even if he's underutilizing it.

A dude who has the ability to be great but currently isn't because of lovely booking is still a better talker than somebody who is just flat out bad, like Roman Sufferin' Succotash Reigns.

Better than Roman, what a high bar

And Roman is a lot better than he used to be

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Intruder posted:

And Roman is a lot better than he used to be

Intruder posted:

Better than Roman, what a high bar

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

tweet my meat posted:

I'm kinda new to wrestling in general so I still don't entirely get the hate for Roman, all I've seen of him (mostly the strowman feud) has been pretty fantastic.

Did you hear the part where the crowd got muted when Roman came out? That's the reason.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Roman Reigns is fine. He should be in a spot for a fine talent, someone like a Christian or Luger - a guy who can have credible, decent-to-good quality matches with mid and upper card talent and can occasionally hold a top belt for a transition period or during a time where the real top guys need time to rest or heal injuries.

He's not in that spot. He's in the Hogan spot. He doesn't lose, except when there are shenanigans, and when he loses he can act whiny and petulant and give the heel his comeuppance for the crime of winning a match, and his music plays and you're supposed to cheer and let him pose and strut and always be seen as above anyone who stands in his way.

It's not working, it hasn't worked, it will continue to not work, and nobody in the company cares.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Bumper Stickup posted:

Nah Miz has always been uninteresting to me. Have never understood why anybody likes him.

i quoted this to yell at you and now in finally getting to the post show and you are so wrong it's amazing the miz is loving amazing

how can anyone dislike the miz? he is the best pure heel in the wwe aha watch him just poo poo talk renee after the show

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah if there was one thing I thought when watching Braun/Roman it was "nobody cares about this match"

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
seriously PM me i will not fite you IRL but argue with you that the miz is awesome because i love him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

I never said Roman's a better talker than Paul. I said Paul is doing lazy and/or repetitive poo poo that doesn't entertain me and I'm literally as bored if not more bored of it than Roman which is really damning. Exact same goes for Brock v. Roman on the wrestling front..

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Do it ironically posted:

i quoted this to yell at you and now in finally getting to the post show and you are so wrong it's amazing the miz is loving amazing

how can anyone dislike the miz? he is the best pure heel in the wwe aha watch him just poo poo talk renee after the show

he's a terrible wrestler is how

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

He's not in that spot. He's in the Hogan spot. He doesn't lose, except when there are shenanigans, and when he loses he can act whiny and petulant and give the heel his comeuppance for the crime of winning a match, and his music plays and you're supposed to cheer and let him pose and strut and always be seen as above anyone who stands in his way.

did hogan ever do something on par with roman murdering braun

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Miz's original blowup at Bryan on Talking Smack was the best promo of the decade.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did hogan ever do something on par with roman murdering braun

murdered the giant

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Bill Goldberg posted:

he's a terrible wrestler is how

his wrestling has improved the last year plus a lot and i know it's stealing danielson's moves but it works and he does it well as a heel and here's an unpopular opinion. Dean has been phoning it in since the shield broke up and the fact miz can have a half decent match with him is amazing, no one can say dean is putting any effort into any match he got carried by AJ/Cena/Miz at smackdown come at me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miz does real well with these semi real life jealousy angles, probably because they're real.

Too bad they have to be paired with garbage Dean Ambrose matches. They also have a limited shelf life.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

miz is an average wrestler. he's had bad matches, he's had surprisingly really good matches, he's had a million matches that were just there.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

miz is an average wrestler. he's had bad matches, he's had surprisingly really good matches, he's had a million matches that were just there.

he's had a million matches with wrestlers who were just there so that checks out

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box posted:

he was an average wrestler now he's above average but he's the best promo in the wwe and the older i get the more i like the soap opera poo poo and i only expect decent wrestling at ppv events and even then the big ppv events, did you see how lovely lesnar/joe was tonight?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Front facebusters suck rear end. He needs a new finisher.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

he was an average wrestler now he's above average but he's the best promo in the wwe and the older i get the more i like the soap opera poo poo and i only expect decent wrestling at ppv events and even then the big ppv events, did you see how lovely lesnar/joe was tonight?

oh yeah he's a great promo. no denying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the miz has been around for like 15 years and hes never going to get better in the ring

• Locked thread