Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

EvanTH posted:

Worst case situation is probably FIFA where, what? 4-ish of the 200+ teams are competitive? And it's almost entirely based on where the mineral extraction criminal billionaires decide to hide their money .

When you say FIFA do you mean the international tournaments? This isn't anything that can really be enforced. Talented players come from bigger nations with a bigger history in the sport itself and those nations produce enough of those players to win tournaments. These nations have the biggest leagues and the biggest youth systems as well. Players don't get paid to play for the national team in the traditional sense and there isn't a league, there's just the world cup, the euros, the copa america, etc. T

I think you meant UEFA and it's respective leagues. There is no cap, no draft, basically no oversight at all really, and there never will be unless some new league is formed. There is the recent idea of Financial Fair Play which basically means nothing in practice, and that's about as close as it gets. On an individual league level you are right. Spain, Germany, England, Italy and France all have between 1 and 5 or so teams that could conceivable win a league title. They are the teams preferred by the state and TV companies (Spain), the foreign oil owned teams (England, France), the cheaters only financially solvent (Italy) or just the objectively dominant team with no slowing down (Germany). At a European level basically only those teams have a hope in hell of winning the continental title(s) as well, so maybe you meant that.

I don't really want a cap or a draft or any of that poo poo. It would be nice if the FFP rules were not just there for criminal accounting practice sessions I guess.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Ah, my mistake. Yes, I was thinking UEFA. Was hunting for the umbrella to cover La Liga, Premier League, Ligue 1 and Serie A and I went too wide.

I guess Bundesliga is also an annual a 1 team competition now?

Has been for a bout 5 years now I think

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Financial Fair Play" is like how Republicans call the "you can dump poo poo into the water now" bill the "Clean Stream for America Act"

I prefer to think of it like "Citizens United" but yes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Doctor Teeth posted:

I only really follow international football, not club, but I thought the whole point of Financial Fair Play was more to prevent another Manchester City from happening (ludicrously rich new owner splurges ungodly amounts of money to propel them into title contention and disrupting the big 4) rather than to encourage parity.

It was in response to that, but the idea presented to UEFA was to prevent things like Parma happening, where a bunch of non-existent or criminally based money is used to propel the team to the top of the league and then bankrupt them 2 years later when the government and lending agencies catch up to what's going on.

As a side effect of that, it's supposed to allow for smaller teams to catch up, but we all know that smaller teams don't generate nearly as much money from sponsorships and advertisements and whatnot, so it's sort of a losing fight. You're not going to see Huddersfield or Crotone sign an official Japanese house paint supplier or some poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well that's kind of happening in Germany with the extremely fake RB Leipzig team so it's not doing a very good job of that.

It's happening right now with AC Milan as well. They've already broken the Italian net transfer record and are still signing more players, but they're a traditional "big" club in Italy so it's less insane sounding to a lot of people.

• Locked thread