Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

marioinblack posted:

A quality Lakers GM just has to clear some cap room and remind free agents that it's LA.

The last big free agent the Lakers signed was Shaq. They've traded for stars during that time for sure, but the fact is when stars have had a choice they've mostly chosen elsewhere.

"It's LA, come play here," doesn't work on stars. Unless you want to be one of the people who pretend that the GM of the team that traded expiring contracts and two second round picks for Dwight Howard, did the Pau Gasol trade people still complain about, once had a trade canceled by the NBA for being too unfair and was the GM over like 6 NBA finals trips was a bad GM (you wouldn't be alone in doing this, don't worry, but you'd still be wrong), they had that good GM in place. But when the team was very obviously on a path to rebuilding, players chose playing on a team that was likely to win more games AND pay them close to the same money, even if that team is small market.

Earvin Johnson undeservedly somehow ending up in charge of the Lakers may get lucky and the team might be right place right time for the next Lebron super team (that in all likelyhood won't be as good as the Warriors), but if that doesn't happened he just hit reset on a rebuild for a market that was already tired of losing (not saying that the market is right to feel this way, the entitlement Lakers fans have is insane).

"It's LA come play here" does work for league minimum players and ring chasers if the team is good, for sure, which is partly why LA was always able to extend their title runs. But you do have to have a good team first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Basically there were a few conference finals games that were down on ESPN, and like the Golden State/Spurs games on TNT were generally strong even though once Kawhi went down that was much more of a foregone conclusion. That might just be because TNT puts a product on the floor that's generally more watchable even if the games aren't.

• Locked thread