Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It lets everything that needs to happen happen and there is no dragging of the plot or action. I don't know if superhero films are responsible but an action film should not be 2 and a half hours long. I just watched logan and was surprised at how late it was when it finished because there is really no reason for it to be so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

All action movies should be however long Bad Boys 2 was.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

It was like 3 hours.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Beer_Suitcase posted:

bad boys 2 is exhibit A for OP's argument

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
pony up with some examples op

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

BB2 gave you everything you wanted plus an hour. And monster trucks, and gross mistreatment of multiple corpses.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Aliens and Terminator 2 were 2 1/2 hours long, so I guess the rule is stick close to 100min. unless you're James Cameron 30 years ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The 90 minute rule is good because it simply means that Terminator 2 is actually 2 action movies and The Raid is 1.1 action movies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The raid 2 is a good example of an overly long action film

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I was agreeing with you in my head, but then I looked up runtimes of my fave actions movies and they're all 2 hours or more, so...

Like, for example, Mad Max Fury Road is 2 hours and that movie is paced perfectly, I wouldn't cut a thing.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think 90 is a better length for comedies.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Seven Samurai is 3 1/2 hours and it's too short imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats a movie with action in it rather than an action movie

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
fair point but it could be longer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think movies should be 75 minutes or 3+ hours. Anything in between is just waffling

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I believe the cut off Hollywood uses to differentiate between shorts and features is 80 minutes

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If your movie turns out short like only 70 minutes, produce another shorter movie so it's a double-feature.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
5 minute title sequences and lots of shots of driving are a good way to help double space your way to the mark

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Action movies 2+ hours in length:

-Terminator 2
-Face/Off
-Hardboiled
-Blackhawk Down
-True Lies
-Fury Road
-The Raid 2
-The Last Samurai
-Blade

Action Movies less than 2 hours:

-Legend of the Drunken Master
-Blade2
-Dredd

Looks like the longer, the better.

Also, yes, 90 minutes is definitely preferable for comedy. Possibly horror, as well.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

When I go to the theatre, given the price, I want the longest movie reasonably possible. It's like getting a giant tub of mayo from Costco, I'm looking for the best value on the per-unit price, units being minutes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So I take it you like the Transformers movies then?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm all about the percentage of action to plot. Like if a movie is long but is 80% firefights and explosions that's good to me.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
everyone here is shamefully forgetting robocop

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it should be an hour and 45 minutes if you're not good at making action movies. i put in that caveat because Con Air was slightly over 2 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Going to see good time which is 100 min

• Locked thread