Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's interesting how the west has adopted homosexuality as a human right fully only within the last year or two and is already greatly concerned with its inclusion abroad.

America is entirely oblivious about its media's essential role in, for example, chinese people widespread and incredibly prejudiced view of people of african decent e.g. fear of AIDS, taking their daughters, drug use and drug dealing, etc. Prejudices which originated in America in living memory.

If you think homophobia itself isn't a western invention exported around the world, you're kidding yourself.

Disclaimer: I was paid $0.50 to post this by the CCP

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 06:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

modest mao is a is dead wrong, homophobia is a result of patriarchy in china, not white people

the whole 'well you see all prejudice in the third world is just EXPORTED from the first' is simultaneously infantalizing and shamelessly reactionary

nah, any aversion to homosexuality started in the Qing dynasty after contact with Jesuits... now it may have taken roots for different reasons than in the west but it's historically an imported ideology and if you don't think europe exported hateful ideology to asia then LOL x 1,000,000

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
China's state ideology is nominally called "Marxist", Which you might not know but refers to a very specific Prussian man, not a chinaman. The idea that cultures appropriate and evolve after contacting each other is not """""infantilizing"""" you loving retard, you moron

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

Christianity's been in China for almost a 1000 years before the Qing Dynasty was founded, and, like consumed by normies pointed out, China has had institutionalized homophobia long before the west made contact.

his post agrees with me much, much, much more I suggest you read it again.

A law against the prostitution of young men is not conclusively "institutionalized homophobia" considering parts of China have a god of gay marriage, 兔兒神

homophobia is an import into china no matter how you slice it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like there are christians, in Korea, a lot of them. Did koreans indipendently invent a monotheistic god who sent his son to earth etc etc no they were exposed to new ideas in contact with foreign cultures and adopted things for various reasons

It's extremely bizarre to think that "China" is an entity abstracted from all history of civilization and that any person arbitrarily born inside their borders who is homophobic must have found themselves so from unique and isolated 'chinese' cultural influences and not like the 3 major world religions (all of which are foreign, one of which took root in china) believing intercourse must be reproductive

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
also lol at someone who said patriarchical societies are homophobic, or that there's any correlation that's sum fukin in-cred-i-bell historical illiteracy

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sorry White Man, You're The Devil After All

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sorry folks, everyone on earth is just naturally homophobic, it's not some made up power dynamic that can be traced through history at all, just the conclusion everyone on earth eventually arrives at, now move along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thug Lessons posted:

China in scarequotes

It should have been "Third World" as I meant to quote rudatrons aptly rudimentary idea of how the gently caress anything at all works, especially that the "third world" (which is a completely useless term evoked for knee-jerk reactions) has any cultural casual link with anything outside of it, as if culture can only flow from the exploited to the exploiter or some other less-than-baby level understanding

but I'm just some idiot who lives in a country called China and not like, a smarty who quotes wiki and doesn't understand that it says exactly the opposite of what they think it does

edit: also these posts are putting bread on my table thank you all invlolved

• Locked thread