Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon
Matias just laughs. "Slow your roll turbo. This isn't any of that." Matias let's that linger in the air and awaits their response.

Deceive (Persuade, Change, Influence): 4dF+6 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Patchouli

"You miss the weather on a hive? Now I may be a simple agri-worlder, but unless you're the richest person on the spire you either live in a closet in the understructure, or are part of some kind of roving scavenger gang who live outside in a giant strip-mined wasteland. So if you looked up, it's going to be sewerage or acid rain."

"Or at least, that's what I heard, could be wrong. Anyway, right now we're in the basement of a palace on a super primitive ball of sand somewhere in the Emperor-less reaches of some region of the void. Something like that."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe
Joe shrugs "I unno, some guy's basement". She casually scrutinizes Hostia, although the sister seemed relaxed and a bit drunk, you can't be too suspicious. Meanwhile she starts expertly rolling up some joints. When she has made a good amount she starts handing them out enthusiastically and eventually just throwing a pile of them into the air. "YOU get a joint, and YOU get a joint, EVERYONE GETS A JOINT!!"

Invoke Slap the bag to empathy at hostia to see if she has any ILL INTENTIONS with the question or something. http://orokos.com/roll/533434 = 0+2(empathy)+2(slap the bag) = 4

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The Bad Basement
"Don't tell me a bunch of warp-worshipping traitors would be concerned with humane treatment of their captives. A loving fallen terminator shows up out of nowhere with a bunch of witches, chains us inside a box in the basement half-dead, and then a few days later you show up and TRY TO BE NICE? What in the world do you expect to accomplish?"

The Good Basement
"Huh. Guess that explains why it's so hot in here." Hostia grabs a joint but stops before letting Joe light it. "Wait, is this the same weird stuff as before? The one that makes you end up in even weirder places? Seriously though, are we even on Vaporious? Or are we in the warp or something?" Her eyes widen with alarm. "poo poo. That party with the singing trees and stuff wasn't a hosed up dream after all? Is the reason the humans are all hiding in the basement because outside is full of hosed up daemons and poo poo?" Joe gets the image that at least for now, Hostia is more confused than anything else, and seems to view the human heretics as despite their obvious heresy being a relative bastion of normalcy compared to the chaos space marines and Actual Daemonette Sassy Fuegobutt.

Waci fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 14, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon
"I genuinely was inquiring into your welfare. An end onto itself. I've met Champion Tloloc by the way. He's brutish enough to kill himself a terminator suit and keep it. He is worthless otherwise. Anyway it's been a while since I've had company other than the lost and the damned. I figured we could talk briefly before my duties bring me elsewhere. What's your name sister? Both of you."

Which one is the mouth piece?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe

"Huh what? No no, we're still on Vaporious and everything is cool. We're just in a basement because it'd be awkward to stick you somewhere else. Wait now that I think of it, WHY are we in a basement when we have a loving pool? WHO WANTS TO HAVE A POOL PARTY?!?!?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Patchouli

Patchouli manages to look somewhat surprised and shuffles the goon bag to another position so as to give Hostia a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"That dream was about as real as you wanted it to be, Hostia. You seemed pretty happy about it at the time, and you taught me to ice skate which was nice. So I think it worked out pretty well? Hey, think you can walk a short distance? Feel free to grab on if you need it."

Patchouli won't go on another warp trip if Hostia refuses.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Brego

"I am in need of maintenance. Sire, is there a peaceful place I might conduct my ritual? I would be much obliged for your aid."

Emotionally, Brego could care less about keeping the banter friendly. But logically, he knows how to butter up a contact. It's often far better to make the attempt than to leave the mark cold. But time is of the essence, and you catch more blight flies with sweet rot than dry flesh.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Lucille

Lucille laughs, which trails off into hacking coughing. Once she recovers, she wipes blood off her mouth and smiles at Hostia.

"Oh, that's a delightful thought. No, no, if we were on a warp-touched world then a basement wouldn't be NEARLY enough to escape the weirdness. Trust me. I think we're just hanging out in the basement because you're much better company than the Astartes. They're all stunted, like cranky 8-foot toddlers. I'm still trying to find a way to explain mercy and kindness in terms they understand. Maybe they're all just incapable of it, but I don't want to believe that."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

Once Oleg is done meticulously picking joints off the ground and dusting them off, he pulls a small bag out from under a table and stuffs it with party supplies. "Hostia can be trip sitter, then. I will be guinea pig in case Joe forgot what she put in these. Come, let's get out of here. Is nice day out! I think."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

imgay

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The Good Basement
Hostia flashes Oleg an amused grin before looking at Lucille. "But she already volunteered! I'll have you know Sisters of Battle never let a sacrifice be in vain." Picking up one of the joints, she holds her joint against Oleg's and follows him upstairs. "So uuuh... Not to disrespect local produce, but maybe a bit less than last time? You'll have to guide m, this stuff isn't exactly widely available." Visibly impressed by the opulence of your temporary residence, Hostia is spinning her head like a devotional dreidel trying to take it all in but seems to direct the question in the general direction of Joe.

The Bad Basement
One of the interrogated sisters stares at your suspiciously. "But why? You killed most of us, and when you captured us gave every impression we would be used for profane sacrifices or else held as hostages, but that was... how many weeks ago? Surely if you intended to inflict incredible injustices upon us, you would have done your dark deeds rather than kept us as we were." The other captive looks at her comrade, speaking in a hushed tone that to a normal human might actually be quiet enough. "Everyone knows the archenemy is prone to infighting, lacking His guiding light and proper structures of authority. Perhaps this one is simply a recent heretic, still believing the false promises of the dark masters he may not even recognise he serves?" The latter looks up at you, looking like she merely hates you. A significant improvement from her stance a mere day ago. "My name is Penitence, and this is my dear sister Odette." You recognise both names as common shrine-worlder names based on Imperial virtues. "If you so long for the company of those not lost and damned, and recognise them as such yourself, why do you not seek my namesake under the guidance of your chapters chaplains or of the Ecclesiarchy?"

After the Meeting
The king nods at Brego. "Of course. We have multiple rooms devoted to the purpose of our own rituals, I will send a servant to inform you as soon as one is free. Please let them know if you require anything specific beyond quiet space to work." He smiles. "I can only assume your rituals differ from ours as much as your tools do." Little less than an hour later, Benipe approaches Brego. "I know His Higness said he'd send a servant, but when I heard the request came from yourself I couldn't help but to handle the matter myself. Our esteemed guests and allies deserve nothing but the best." He seems to genuinely mean it, rote phrasing or not. Still talking about the various rituals the locals performed, he gestures at the floor in one of the palace's hallways. The floor sinks into a staircase, and the earth moves to let you pass. "The Animation Chamber has been prepared for you. While it has not been used for its intended purpose for, oh... well, within living memory in any case, the equipment within has been maintained as it was when its builders still walked among us."

Between the closed doors to the sides of the hall you see alcoves of various sizes, most holding pools of water decorated with carved bone and gemstones. You note that the deeper you go, the smoother and more organic the architecture gets. By the time you reach your appointed working space, the structure is almost entirely bone shaped as if it were a flowing liquid stuck in time. Gracefully curved pillars of bone part before you, and you stand in a perfectly round room of white, only interrupted by the discrete patterns of gemstones set in the walls, floor, and ceiling and a single pool of water perhaps two metres in diameter. Benipe smiles with not a small hint of pride on his face. "Please let me or anyone else with access to this place know if you require anything else. I would not insult you by assuming you do not have your own tools whatever they may be, but if there is anything you require of us, know that we will be more than pleased to assist in any way we can."

Short update, but with moving to a new place finished and one emergency grant application written, we should now be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Waci fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 22, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

"Over this way, past golden doors and stuff. Semi-outdoors spa room or whatever." He motions in the general direction which his drug cigarette between two fingers. "Maybe you should not smoke whole thing in one go like psyker."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon
"Hope is but the first step on the road to disappointment and Doom Eagles are already dead Sister Penitence. Besides the Inquisition doesn't tend to look favorably on Space Marines who've spent any significant amount of time in the Maelstorm, voluntarily or otherwise. Anyway you are mistaken: your wounds were not caused by me and your fallen sisters blood is not on my hands. I'm a new arrival to this warband and with me here I can assure you of this: You will not be sacrificed to any dark gods, you will not be tortured, and you will not be abused otherwise. Now I can send for a biomancer, a witch who can heal your wounds, and I can get you actual food and water to restore your strength. Should I?"

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe
"Welllll actually I just bummed this stuff off my friend. Great guy, but I think he assumed I knew how much of this stuff to use. Eh, the last dosage seemed fiiiiiine though." she pauses "I know! Lets just invite him and he can prooobably help prevent any weird hallucinations"

Xun fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 22, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Badment
Sister Penitence's expression softens slightly, turning more confused than overtly suspicious. "So we are to be prisoners of war, as if this was some minor conflict on a civilised world?" She glances at her friend for a moment before turning back to Matias and sighs. "The Emperor will see to our bodies. I would sooner be treated by time than by a witch. But if you say you will not harm us, I will admit food and water would be welcome backing for your words." Next to her Odette looks somewhat alarmed at the mention of water, and the the more talkative sister gives her a reassuring smile. "I truly do think he meant water, not... Whatever that brute had planned for you. I believe Hostia is still alive, and not a liquid." Matias notes Sister Penitence's response to her more timid compatriot is in line with what he had gathered from the limited observations by your serving staff, confirming she had indeed Risen Up To the Challenge of helping her fellow captive hold faith.

Exit Fungeon Left
Your group of revellers ascends, as the evident leader of the troupe described, through gilded doors onto a balcony kept cool by shade and highly unlikely local weather patterns.

Servants gather to attend to you, having made a respectable effort to hide their confusion over your decision to hang out in the basement. Joe sends one off to invite Tnasaep, while Hostia seems every bit a fish returned to water. Instructing another to fetch her wine, she folds those of her clothes you haven't stolen re-purposed by the side of the pool and steps in. She gestures at one of the remaining servants loitering nearby, and soon the highborn sister is leaning back with a servant removing dried blood, grease, and sand off her hair while she leans back to draw on Joe's Psy-active Surprise. "You know, I said I miss the weather, and I do, but tubscura's pretty high on the list too."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon
"Yeah don't worry. We get access to real liquor here. We don't need to turn you into a bottle of bubbly. Speaking of drinks and food I'll get the chef. She cooks for the royalty here and they kinda like the fact we're making sure you don't murder their whole city of witches for, you know, being witches. The entire population is like that. Field day for the black ships for sure."

"I was born on a feral world and I got turned into an Astartes as a teenager so I'm not going to pretend to know good food or what your comfort food growing up on some shrine world was like. Tell me what you want and I'll do my best to explain it to the chef and she'll make it or do the best with local materials. Actually hold that thought."

Matias takes a long drink of water from his futuristic nalgene bottle equivalent and steps out of the room. He talks to the two warrior-witch guards he had posted in the hallway and tells them to go fetch the Chef and send for servants with water jugs, as much as they can bring. He also informs them that these prisoners will be given proper rations and water. The guard will be doubled on them to make up for this as well. He then reenters the room.

"I sent for water and the chef. Tell me what you want for food. Actually tell me how this tastes first?" Matias says as he offers them both a drink from his giant, 6L water "bottle".

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 22, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Lucille

Lucille clears out some floorspace a few feet from the pool, then starts doing one-armed pushups.

"Hey, you might be missing the tubscura and the weather, but at least you can get into a pool of water without irrevocably poisoning it. Look on the bright side!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

"Sucks to suck," Oleg mocks Lucille as he strips down to his bright purple thong and jumps into the pool, glass of wine and blunt in one hand. "Going to really miss this place at some point. So Hostia, I hope this has been educational time for you. We are just regular people." He briefly considers the makeup of the team. "I mean, in grand scale of things. We help fight on behalf of simple people who just want a little self-determination in dumpster-fire that we call life in this garbage universe. Maybe give a few souls a lifetime of peace to experience in far off places like this."

He chugs the rest of his wine unceremoniously and holds his empty glass out to one of their attendants. "So, like, no bullshit, here is what I am getting at: how would you like to work with us? You seem pretty chill, have good knowledge of mysterious order, objective thinker. Gives you a chance to fight for your own purposes, yeah? I mean, whatever you want," he speaks with his hands, "be selfless if you want, do a lot of good, get huge money like this," he waves to their surroundings, "whatever you like. Is beauty of self-determination. Or. Or! You could not, and just walk away for whole situation. No problem. All your choice. What do you think?"

Using Rapport to pop the question and try to get her to join us. Spending 1 FP to invoke Slap the Bag again and using the free invoke on Accustomed to Luxuries for a total of +7.
Rapport w/ Hostia: 4dF+7 7

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 22, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Patchouli

Glad that cybernetics are waterproof, Patchouli sinks to the depths of the pool and imagines herself as a deep-sea crustacean. After a few moments she concludes that such a life would be extremely boring, but now she doesn't have to wonder any more. Though that would be the optimal position to snip at ankles. She resurfaces anyway.

"That was a bit forward Oleg, but I can't argue with the sentiment. No disrespect to your chosen career path Hostia, but you really don't look like a gloriously faithful Bride of the Emperor right now. The asceticism isn't quite radiating off you, and the amount of un-purged heretics seems only to be increasing with time. You're pretty poo poo at it, is what I'm getting at."

"On the other hand" says the one-handed heretic, "this could all be a massive feat of willpower and subterfuge and in that case I'm absolutely impressed."

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 22, 2017

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

The obliteradept looks around and scans the constructs in the ritual chamber. It seems odd and supremely unlikely, but he has encountered this kind of structure before. Wraithbone! A whole unguarded trove full of it. The sheer proximity to such a warp-charged cave sets Brego's systems popping. He attempts to get as many readings as he can despite the interference. His enthusiasm is greater than its been for decades but his face is unable to convey the sheer dark joy of the find.

"Yes, I believe this is perfectly acceptable. You have my thanks."

Rolling Notice +5 to get some details on the cave.
Notice: 4dF+5 6

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe

"Yeah! Pool party!!" Joe throws her clothes over a nearby chair and runs for the edge of the water, leaping at the last moment to cannonball into the middle of the pool. She resurfaces quickly and flips over to float on her back. "Ahh, much nicer than the crappy pool at the academy. Actually, does the Imperium really think us 'chaos cultists' all live on some weird death world? I grew up on a chaos controlled planet and it seemed pretty similar to what we saw on pirated imperial holodramas. Except maybe cleaner and with more psykers around. Oh I can show you videos of me with my parents cats I took with a selfie stick! I got an eye pad and it has access to warpweb anywhere"

Creating advantage Cat videos are cute http://orokos.com/roll/535180=4

Xun fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 23, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pool
Hostia is visibly surprised by Oleg's forwardness and tries to form a coherent response of some kind, only to be mercifully interrupted by Patchouli. "Have YOU tried being a nun? It's not just being a loyal servant of the Emperor and showing up for church. You literally are not allowed to have fun." She looks hard at Oleg. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sign up for worshipping some giant space crab with an irrational number of tentacles, I'm definitely on Team Humanity..."

Trailing off in an apparent mix of confusion and self-doubt, she gestures at the video Joe is proudly displaying on her gadget. "Look, when I woke up chained to the basement wall I was expecting I'd end up flayed alive and trussed up into some sort of blood fountain or something. Instead we're sitting in a pool watching a kid play with cats." She sighs. "Like, regular fuzzy cats. Nice and cute and not tearing someone's throat off. In someone's home. With furniture that's not made of piles of eyeballs and detached mouths screaming in endless agony. And then you're here, talking about drinks and life and stuff, and generally not burning and pillaging everything in your path."

The sister of battle sinks slowly into the pool, stopping with her face and traditional herbal remedy held just above the water. "This would be a whole lot clearer and less confusing if you were depraved lunatics like you were supposed to be..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk4XB2wZqF4

Hostia rolls horribly on the Will test to resist Oleg's charms, and ends up with a moderate consequence after running out of Mental Stress boxes. You can invoke "Maybe They're Not All Bad?" once for free. Joe also succeeds at creating the situational advantage about cat videos, which you can invoke once for free, and which lasts as long as everyone involved is watching cat videos.

Ritual Cave
Brego inspects the room in detail, poring through each of the admittedly few nooks and crannies. While the patterns of gems on the walls and floor are not immediately familiar and in many places appear random at first, with superhuman senses he manages to discern some of the flow of the solid bone. Streams of bone converge in the pool of water, and then again in various points on the jewelled floor. Branching into smaller and smaller streams, the each of the flows outwards from the pool seems to surround clusters of gems set into the floor, tracing unfamiliar symbols out of the superficially random arrangement. After minutes spent crouching staring at the floor, Brego concludes there are five equally sized symbols formed evenly spaced around the pool. Inspecting the pool and symbols closer, he realises a few of the gems included in the symbols are duller than the rest and easily detach from the floor. When the iron giant gently removes one the cavity quickly begins to smooth itself out, leaving behind a small socket that takes the shape of the jewel when he reinserts it.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

"I mean, maybe we are depraved lunatics, just in different way. Silly, uncaring way. All relative. Just something to think about." He shrugs, slowly encroaching on whatever remains of everyone's personal space so that he may better watch sick cat vids. "I... I don't remember where I was going with that. They are like tiny fuzzy Tzeench sorcerers on lovely discs," he observes. "Joe, you are blue team homowizard, tell us your secrets: are discs just demon roombas?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Patchouli

"Hostia, I understand that you've spent most of your life in either luxurious or acetic isolation, but the galaxy in and out of the Imperium is just awful. There are xenos like the Orks running around pulling people's heads off, and even weirder spooky stuff out in the Halo stars. There's this evil star zooming around the Calixis Sector zapping planets for fun. Then there are governors and generals and priests running their own little dominions, taking the Imperium apart from the inside because they want a little more power! Whatever you think is the greatest problem facing humanity - it's not going to get any better for anyone if you spend your whole life eating starch paste and praying to Terra in thanks for it. And I really don't know how it's going to help the Imperium if the missionary gang in orbit pushes over the handful of habitable spots on this world and sticks an Aquila on top. A world that nobody else even knew about, a world that didn't even know there were other worlds! And it would be burned down because a Rogue Trader can use it as currency to, I don't know, get an extra large family mausoleum on a shrine world or something. That's bullshit, Hostia! Your bosses programmed you to live and die like a servitor, but you're not! You're a real person with hopes and dreams and passions! Maybe we can't make the whole galaxy better, but we can start right here and see how far we can get!"

It got a little shouty at the end but the point got across. The only way forward is revolutionary ethical hedonism.

Rapporting at Hostia: 4dF 3
+3 Rapport
+1 Pretty in Pink
+2 Invoke Maybe they're not so bad?
=9 Rapport :toot:

Fate 3/5
Is that free invoke shared? Otherwise spend fate for it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

Soulstones! Yes, a grand gift to the gods. One in particular at least. However, it may be possible to access the souls bound within the active gems like a cogitator, and to reap the millennia of experiences from the bound soul within. If, that is, Brego understands the lore correctly. Perhaps the long-dead eldar souls within are dormant and in a kind of stasis. But that's not to say they can't be awakened in time.

"Yes, I believe this will be perfect for my needs. I must center myself. I would have privacy, if you please."

Can I invoke my Science aspect to tinker around with the wraithbone and maybe see what I can do with it?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe

"What? No the disks are made by some money mad techpriests. Hella useful though". No way is she going to reveal to Hostia that some of the cats are sitting on babbies first daemonengine. She sits back at the edge of the pool and takes a puff of her joint while funny cat videos are now playing in the background "Man this place rules"

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pool party:
Hostia looks at Patchouli for a while, and when she finally responds her face looks like she's surprised at her own words. "You... you make a good point. I mean, the Emperor is the protector of mankind and I have no intention of serving the dark gods, but... A lot of the Imperium doesn't exactly exist in the Emperor's image, even in places without an immediate external threat. I get the arguments for protecting humanity from all that poo poo you mentioned, but more often than not the reason innocent people suffer is because of some petty feuding or power-grab. And I wish I could say the ecclesiarchy's never involved in that, but, well, why do you think a rich kid would get sent to a convent? It's always easier to burn your financial competitors when you can draw an aquila over the ashes and say it was for the Emperor..."

Hostia rolls utterly horribly once again. Invoking Patchouli's Conspiciously Slaaneshi nature helps with that somewhat, but even the reroll isn't high enough. Patchouli gets one fate point back for having one of her aspects invoked against her, and Hostia checks her last Consequence due to having the willpower of a Golden Corral customer faced with a through of imitation cheese product. You (as a party) may invoke "Hans, Are We the Baddies?" for free one time.

Space Jail:
"You know the black ships exist for a reason. How this world has not fallen further from His light I don't know, but don't pretend you don't know it's an exception rather than the rule." Seeing the small barrel in the space marine's hand Penitence hesitates for a second before grabbing the bottle. After the first sip of water in longer than is theoretically safe in your current climate, her expression changes. A short moment and a litre of water later she hands the bottle to her peer, reassuring her it is safe before looking back at Matias. "Regardless of what you are... thank you.We'll eat anything that might pass for normal food on a civilised world. " She pauses for a second before apparently realising something. "You know, plants, dead animals. Nothing made of people or that'll scream while being eaten, or whatever it is the dark powers consider a delicacy."

Bone Hole:
Brego looks more closely at one of the transforming sockets he removed a gem from, prodding it with his finger. When attempting to insert a bronze writing implement causes no effect, he extends a single fleshmetal finger. With his hand millimetres away from the wraithbone crevice, it starts to shift into shape. The inquisitive metal man pulls his hand away, and the shape of his fingertips fades from the bone he never touched.

Waci fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 11, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon
"The food here is definitely palatable and I'll get you some more water when I come back. I appreciate the conversation thus far but let me be crystal clear for a moment. These people aren't savages, they aren't chaos worshippers, and neither am I. Whatever you think you know of me is far from the truth. And speaking of truth." Mattias says as he gets up from Nad'halan's sturdiest chair and moves to stand in front of them. He pauses for a moment to look at them both before saying his piece, calmly but with clear irritation in his voice at their ignorance.

"Don't talk to me about the Emperor's Light, because you know nothing of him and what he really wanted for the species. He was our leader and the most powerful psyker in human history. We round up psykers to keep him alive, we train those who can actually control their abilities to keep the rest of the species alive, and you repay them with ignorance and murder. In that ignorance your order will likely attempt to purge this world out of fear of these psykers, despite the fact that their mutation is the bedrock of the Imperium. I dunno how else to put it to you but everything you've learned in your upbringing has been a lie, I guarantee it. Let me give you some food for thought: why do the Space Marine Chapters generally not care for the Imperial Cult? We're not talking about fallen Astartes like myself. We're talking about Emperor worshipping, heretic purging, Loyal Space Marines. Is it because we just can't relate to the little people or is it because we've known what the Emperor has wanted since the moment he made us? Also some more food for thought if you figure out what I'm talking about : why do the ruinous powers even exist? Think about that while I go ensure that your needs are handled."

Mattias leaves for about 10-15 minutes to arrange those things (food+water) but has his watcher's keep tabs on the sisters as they probably talk amongst themselves. He also ensure the guards are in place to ensure no one leaves the cell. He figures that change in demeanour should set them off balance for a bit and keep them from getting too comfortable.

That bit should probably be a Provoke based attack. Mattias is actively challenging a core tenet of their upbringing and faith and casting doubt on the validity of the Imperial Creed. Any other :words: are gonna stem off of this test. I'm more interested in an organic conversation and some back and forth as opposed to going "har he har let me tell you how much more I know about the universe than you" in one infodump. I figure this roll should last for a couple of posts as long as we are on this subject matter though.

Provoke: 4dF+5 7

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

Ah, it responds to commands. Even if just barely. This is going to take some time to examine and understand the full scope of potential, but not right now. The Iron Warrior can't afford to lose himself in his work, either literally or figuratively. Without focus, he could very well succumb to the virus and be little more than a hulking brute, his inquisitive mind lost entirely. Instead of continuing to probe the wraithbone for more answers, he settles down to call upon the Chaos gods and seek their guidance. Only when opening his mind to the vastness beyond realspace does Brego, ironically, find a measure of calm. He's no psyker. Not yet, anyway. But the number of times he's channeled pure warp energy into a creation has left its mark. The path is open and he can sense the ripples and eddies of warpspace, to an extent. In his ears it sounds almost like the oceans of Pharamond, where the roiling storms send hundred-meter waves crashing against the adamantine and ceramite cliffs that make up the fortress world's defenses.

Deep inside, the roiling of the virus calms its own thrashing. Slowly Brego's body begins to be his and his alone again. The infection quiets and eventually goes still. He awakens calm and cold again, rising to ascend back to meet the rest of the war party. He would destroy as needed and control what wasn't, taking the spoils for their glory and that of the gods.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe
"Well you don't need to be a chaos worshiper to see that there are problems with the Imperium I guess. All we want to do is protect these people from being exploited with minimal bloodshed between us and the Imperial forces here. If you're willing to help in any way, that'd be greaat"

uhh idk trying to get info or something out of hostia in the future, invoking Are we the Baddies for free :v: http://orokos.com/roll/542019 4dF+2 = 4+2(baddies)+2(maybe they're not all bad) = 8

2/5 FP left

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

"Of course! Any little bit helps," Oleg chimes in. "Even just getting to know you and Sororitas, so maybe we can understand them for negotiation? I mean, fat chance Imperium negotiates, but one can hope."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Guest Chambers Turned Prison Cell

Two pairs of eyes stare at Matias with a mix of irritation, righteous indignation, and naive confusion. "What do you mean? Emperor-worshipping loyalist marines, but who oppose His divine will? I thought the dark gods existed as reflections of the sins of the faithless and impure, not to make the misguided speak in bizarre contradictions?"

Pool

Hostia nods hesitantly. "You're right. Especially not these ones." She sighs. "Someone else might be content with lip service to the Emperor and leaving behind some famulous to work on it from there, but the kid in charge of that ship? He wants his feather securely in his hat and he wants it NOW, not after a reasonable time to let it happen sensibly." Closing her eyes, she sinks slowly into the pool until her face is only partially above water. One of the servants looks at her curiously, but noticing your apparent lack of concern they continue with their duties. A couple minutes later, Hostia lifts her head again. "Ok. Ok. Just to be clear, I'm not going to fight my sisters or anything like that. But, well, I can't claim you're wrong about whether what they're doing, what that rich kid with daddy's boat up there is doing, to this world and its people is right or just." Visibly terrified of what she's about to say, she slumps and continues. "I'll help you. But you have to swear you'll try to do what Joe said and minimise bloodshed. I doubt you can avoid it completely, but many of the sisters are good people at heart, who really think they're doing what's best for humanity." The now-decidedly-ex sister of battle smiles. "You can show them the flames of faith aren't the only way."

Your house, later the same evening

When your activities for the day are done and you one by one start to settle in for the evening, your local scribe-turned-chief-of-staff informs you that based on the diviner's impression of the weather and current conditions on the "road" to Ravy, the trip to your first choice of ambush sites would take a very fit human on foot roughly 90 hours of walking at the fastest sustainable pace, assuming no unexpected difficulties. You realise that at an unhurried driving rate, the sisters would reach the site some 65-70 hours from now, and that even with the assistance of your troops of psykers and literally otherworldly equipment a 250-kilometre hike in the desert will take a while. Reminded of the urgency of your immediate objective, you set off to finish your preparations before setting off.

Ok everyone, first of all sorry for not being too clear about what was going on. The gap in posting was caused by some irl issues coming up on unpleasantly short notice, but now that that's sorted out we're back to our regularly scheduled programming. In the interest of unifying the party and moving on with things, the next update will have you set off to reach your planned ambush site unless you as a party collectively object and wish to alter the course. The next update will be some time next week, to give those discouraged by the long silence at least a little time to notice we're back in action. Existing plot threads regarding your captives will be resolved either as flashbacks during future updates or continued when/if you return.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Matias Solomon

Previously on Spike Game

Mattias comes back in time for the confused pair's query. "Oppose his divine will? The Emperor was never divine, he never wanted humanity to worship him or view him as some divine being. The Adeptus Astartes know the truth of this matter: The Emperor is the most powerful psyker in human history and the most brilliant mind spawned from our species. But he is human, he is no god. That was a lie spread by the Warmaster Horus to rally the traitor legions to him in rebellion. You are close on the dark gods but its more than that. Without delving too deep into unholy metaphysics, each ruinous power feeds off the emotions and the actions of all sentient beings. The entire ork race gives the Blood God a chub, as does every time you fire your bolter in anger and kill your target. Slaanesh thrives on the desire for perfection. Every time someone is proud of their accomplishment or jealous of their rival, it is like music to this twisted God's ears. A mother who weeps for her sick child in a hab block, desperately praying to the Emperor for her daughter's salvation, feeds Nurgle with her feelings of despair and hopelessness. And without getting more complicated into the matter, the desire for change, for a better tomorrow: that fuels Tzeentch. The God of War, the God of Perfection/Pleasure, the God of Decay, and the God of Change, That's your true enemy, that's the enemy of every sentient being in the universe."

"Chaplain Barbiel of the Doom Eagles gave me a similar spiel when I was a newly minted battle brother, the better to realize our place in the universe so we could better fight the enemies of man. You need to know enough to understand the enemy, but not enough to be seduced by them as his too often the case with the Ruinous Powers. Got me so far?

"I've always wondered why people became cultists, why they turned to worshipping the pantheon of Chaos, why people would do horrible things in the name of being a Champion of Chaos. Turns out its quite a bit of quid pro quo. The best sniper in the Imperial Guard might inadvertently be increasing Khorne's power but its a drop in the bucket compared to if that sniper changes from Long-las to a sniper rifle with explosive rounds that cause massive amounts of hemorrhaging in the target before it dies. Better still for the blood god if he listens to the seed planted in his heart that calls for him to use his fieldcraft skills to get close enough to a sentry to cut the carotids. And finally, if he can get the guardsman to transform into a killer who kills for its own sake, then his power will wax all the more strongly with each kill."

"To get the most power you need to cultivate your assets. So they tempt them and give them gifts in small and large ways. The sniper who changes weapons might find the solid projectile weapon to be both quieter with its suppressor but also more satisfying, more accurate in his hands compared to another with the same rifle. He might develop a danger sense or an instinct for knowing where to find prey. He might flat out mutate and his weapon becomes a part of him. It's subtle, there's not usually a daemon showing up in your dreams offering you unlimited power and a galaxy stomping adventure where you slaughter the populace of entire worlds. But eventually towards the end of a future follower's recruitment, it'll happen. Or maybe a individual in the heat of the moment forsakes everything for the chance for revenge and the Gods hear them and give them what they wish for a price. All these gifts end in one of two roads: Daemonic Immortality or uncontrollable mutation and loss of self. To gain the former and prevent the latter, any follower of Chaos who knows anything will do greater and greater deeds to earn the favor of their God, enhancing their power in the warp and in the mortal realm."

"Our Emperor is not stupid and was well aware of the dread nature of Chaos. The Imperial Truth doctrine was one of his ways of removing mankind from the influence of these powers." Mattias hands a oversized dataslate to Penitence. "Read his words for yourself sister and make sure I get that back. It's one of the few things that keeps me going and gives me peace in this mad world." Mattias sticks around briefly to answer questions and then goes to join the others.

Penitence now has a dataslate with the Imperial Truth and Forbidden Space Marine Lore. Included also is the Lectitio Divinitatus as a reference to some lore in regards to the fall of the traitor primarchs. Mattias hopes that if they read through it they'll make the connection that faith, specifically Lorgar's faith, undermined the Emperor's efforts and led to the state of things now. And that "weakness" is what needs to be extinguished from the galaxy, not fed more by misguided zealots, who are also WRONG about all the things.

Planning Committee
"Ok so here's how I'm seeing it: Our team can get there much faster than 90 hours to the ambush site. We have Astartes who can do a rapid road march pace easily in any terrain, even the desert sands and dunes. Power Armour certainly doesn't hurt. And we can probably carry the rest of our team while doing so as well though it would be awkward. The rest of our formation is going to be what slows us down. Is there anything the decades can do to cross terrain fast each day so we can walk less? Anything like the teleportation attack we pulled off last ambush?"

We need to figure out exactly what cards we can play to beat the sister's there and get in under that 65-70 hours.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 9, 2017

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Brego

"The Warp fuels me. If need be, I can pull a sledge over the dunes for now. But it is imperative that we capture Imperial vehicles if possible. If they out-mobilize us, we have already lost this battle."

If the Imperials are able to maneuver and travel faster than the warband, it's already over. Their ability to go where they please and strike will force the warriors to be always reacting, never taking the initiative. Logic dictates that the Imperial advantage must be stripped from them, and turned to the warband's favor if it can be. Twisting and binding the captured vehicles will be child's play for one who has already contained the pure essence of the Warp within his own tech-virus-riddled body. All Brego would have to do is share his blessing with the machine spirits.

"How many men will we have with us?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Lucille

Lucille is abuzz, so thrilled by Hostia's conversion she can't or won't sit still. It was a confirmation that she was right, that even the most hidebound people can change for the better. Now they just had to find a way to do it faster than chaining them to a wall and dosing them with powerful hallucinogens for weeks.

"Oh, you don't have to carry me. I'm tough!" She punctuates this with a series of sickly coughs into a clenched fist. "It'll all be fine. We'll catch up, sack the convoy, and spare as many as we possibly can."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oleg

Oleg attempts to throw himself into Matias' arms for a princess carry, but he doesn't take and the fool falls to the sand. He lays there at his feet. "Carry me, darling!" A Vostroyan giving a poorly imitated high-Gothic old money accent was oddly offputting. He stretches his arms out to the space marine and refuses to move from his prone position.

"I am willing to accept sled rides as well," he concedes, going fully limp. "But we must stop lip flapping and go, now! Here," he rolls over, shifts his backpack to his front, and produces several hard packed white bricks. He throws one to each of his squadmates. "I was going to save this for celebration, but may help us go faster and may be too dead to celebrate. Uncut, save for a little frenzon for that refreshing kick! Please use responsible amounts."

Using the stunt Party Time, Excellent to coke up the team. That should cut down some time!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Joe
"Its ok! Hopefully the uh, Champagne of Chill will win the day? I'm not really good at the wordplay.." She gives Hostia a friendly slap on the back and continues drinking and smoking "safe" quantities of magic space weed until she has to leave. On the way out she discreetly pulls aside a servant out of sight and hearing of Hostia

"While I don't expect there to be any problems, you guys shooulld probably try to keep Hostia around the palace. Maybe do some low tier mind stuff if she starts making noises about wanting to leave, but don't be obvious about it!"

Now to have fun times getting rides from space marines! Woooo

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Distant past, Matias Solomon Special:
Sister Penitence squints at you incredulously. "Extraordinary claims call for extraordinary evidence. How are we to believe these are the Emperor's words, rather than yours?"

Past:
Gathering with your advisers and underlings, you make the final preparations. Much of your last-minute effort goes into facilitating the multi-day march to the ambush site, an unpleasant necessity to ensure your prey cannot simply drive away. While the locals under your command prepare their equipment and load supplies and equipment on sleds, you distribute various means of easing your travel. From performance-enhancing drugs to specific orders for your retinue of specialist psykers, every tool at your disposal is put to use. Brego even manages to improvise a tow hitch compatible with legion power armour.

Among the 50 Nad'Halan witch-warriors under your command are the three unit leaders capable of the teleportation you saw earlier and two biomancers. Following a report of their abilities, you assign tasks and organise shift schedules. Each biomancer could stave off fatigue and dehydration for hours at a time before needing to recover, and each of the leaders could allow you to cover ten kilometres in as many steps once or twice a day. You order both to use their abilities to the fullest extent they can without impairing themselves for the fight ahead.

Thus augmented you set off into the desert, diviners and telepaths acting as the formation's eyes in the desert night.

Present:
Fifty-six highly uneventful hours later, you approach your destination. The sun has just risen, and though the last night of your trek was over progressively rockier ground you are covered in a nearly uniform layer of sweat and sand.

You and your troops are tired, but not not beyond all reason. By your best estimate, based on Imperial standard operating procedure and your recently-personalised knowledge of the terrain between Nad'Halan and Ravy, you have beaten the Imperials by 8-12 hours.

Anything specific you wanted to bring with you that can be reasonably carried or towed by someone hiking on foot may be retroactively declared to have been with you all along. Tarps, crude explosives of the kind the Nad'Halans can manufacture, and so on are fine. A ballista not so much.

Can I please get one Physique roll (at +3 due to the combination of drugs, psykers, and space marines turning the fatal into merely unpleasant) from everyone who was not carried or dragged here by a space marine?

Waci fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Lucille

Lucille hops on top of the nearest rock and surveys the horizon with her hand over her eyes. She's as infuriatingly chipper as ever and seemingly oblivious to the stresses of a three-day forced march through the desert.

"What a nice day! I didn't think the desert could be so green! I'd rather not be hurting people on a day like this, or ever, but... well, I'll spare who I can. Anyway, maybe I could do a little prepwork here. There's a lot of boulders, I could try setting up a rockfall to pen them in. People who are trapped usually surrender a lot faster, which is nice. Do we know any chokepoints they'll have to pass through?"

Not really waiting for an answer, Lucille immediately picks up a boulder over her head and starts wandering towards a likely spot.

My Possessed Armor mega-stunt gives me Absolute Physique, so I just automatically succeed at any Physique Overcome roll unless it's against something equally supernatural.

MOVE ROCK (Physique +3): 4dF+3 3

MOVE ROCK ATHLETICALLY ALSO (Athletics +2): 4dF+2 1

SEE THINGS (Notice +3): 4dF+3 4

Creating an Advantage: Rocks Fall, Everybody's Trapped. Gonna try to pen them in so nobody at the front or back of the convoy can bolt on us.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 24, 2017

• Locked thread