Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Okay the reveal is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter 47

Earth being amicably split into two between humanity and the "demons" is definitely a good way to set things up. Even when they finally do manage to cross over there's no guarantee they'll be safe in the human world, so getting there isn't even necessarily a concrete end goal. I'm excited to see where things go from here. I'd like them to have asked what the "demons" are actually called, but whatever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Huh interesting. It's still kind of unclear but it's a good reveal. Is the world split physically or is there a human world and a demon one with some kind of Stargate seperating them? The map of the world was of regular Earth. Also if this is the demon world that humans abandoned, leaving behind the farms, then who were the humans that Krone was talking about that were on equal footing with the demons?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The first 4 pages being dedicated to shooting down theories owned

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Radish posted:

Huh interesting. It's still kind of unclear but it's a good reveal. Is the world split physically or is there a human world and a demon one with some kind of Stargate seperating them? The map of the world was of regular Earth. Also if this is the demon world that humans abandoned, leaving behind the farms, then who were the humans that Krone was talking about that were on equal footing with the demons?

Hopefully the Viz translation will clarify a few points. In particular, the MS translation has the split occurring "some thousand years" ago, but "thousands of years ago" would make more sense (if it happened circa 1050, why isn't there any record of the event in human culture in 2017?).

I suspect part of the reason for the lack of clarity, though, is due to the people explaining being weird religious fanatics. Minerva will probably have a more accurate explanation.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Silver2195 posted:

Hopefully the Viz translation will clarify a few points. In particular, the MS translation has the split occurring "some thousand years" ago, but "thousands of years ago" would make more sense (if it happened circa 1050, why isn't there any record of the event in human culture in 2017?).

I suspect part of the reason for the lack of clarity, though, is due to the people explaining being weird religious fanatics. Minerva will probably have a more accurate explanation.

The fact that modern technology exists which got smuggled in for Ray, and the way they say the pathways are closed, could mean the kids are in a different dimension altogether, that split off from modern day Earth thousands of years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how now that they've escaped and gotten more information on what's really going on, Emma and Ray have gotten a lot cockier. Sounds like they're being set up to fail somehow.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well theres the shonen battle manga optimism.

Im actually quite satisfied with this explanation. The odds arent insurmountable and it sets up other humans that arent plantation staff to be enemies. The final battleground may as well be a UN courtroom and the conclusion being demons getting to feast on ethically sourced cloned human flesh. Thats cool as hell yo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pollyanna posted:

I like how now that they've escaped and gotten more information on what's really going on, Emma and Ray have gotten a lot cockier. Sounds like they're being set up to fail somehow.

I don't think they're cocky, just optimistic. They're not like "this'll be easy, we can do it no problem" but rather "oh, so it's possible!" What I really like is that the guy telling them isn't, like, trying to get them to give up or telling them that it's hopeless or whatever. That's the way this usually goes, it's nice to have them just say, like, "well, have fun with that".

This isn't Attack on Titan. It's a dark fairy tale, not a cynical story of human suffering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well theres the shonen battle manga optimism.

Im actually quite satisfied with this explanation. The odds arent insurmountable and it sets up other humans that arent plantation staff to be enemies. The final battleground may as well be a UN courtroom and the conclusion being demons getting to feast on ethically sourced cloned human flesh. Thats cool as hell yo.

It seems that what they really want to feast on is brains, though, to the point where the highest grade human brains are directly correlated with intelligence and test scores. I don't think there's an ethical way to supply that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

In the Viz translation Sonju still says "about a thousand" rather than thousands. It's been a few days so I don't think I need to worry about the spoiler tags now. Really liked the answer and the fact that there was no fakeout or abrupt interruption to the explanation. Like another poster said I'm curious if the split is dimensional or literally dividing the planet in two.

e: "The Demons grew to resent the humans" gently caress off yas cunts you hunted us.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The fact that they shut down "ah, so it's a different planet" with "no, this is earth" makes me think it's a purely physical divide.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

The fact that they shut down "ah, so it's a different planet" with "no, this is earth" makes me think it's a purely physical divide.

That doesn't make sense, though. Remember, the split happened circa 1050. When Columbus arrived in the Western Hemisphere, it wasn't ruled by demons. And if half the planet literally split off in 1050 and was flung out of the solar system, it would have wiped out life on earth. Even if you add a lot of handwavey magic, there would still be inconsistencies in geology, etc. For example, Erasothenes calculated the size of the planet about 1250 years before the split.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

That doesn't make sense, though. Remember, the split happened circa 1050. When Columbus arrived in the Western Hemisphere, it wasn't ruled by demons. And if half the planet literally split off in 1050 and was flung out of the solar system, it would have wiped out life on earth. Even if you add a lot of handwavey magic, there would still be inconsistencies in geology, etc. For example, Erasothenes calculated the size of the planet about 1250 years before the split.

Oh God why are you applying real history to a comic involving Demons.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I mean like a border, not literally split physically in half, you doofus. Divided into two territories, one for humans and one for demons. Half the planet for each. There is no reason to assume that they followed the same history as us anyway, since the fight with demons was obviously not prehistoric. They were using medieval weapons and armor, which fits roughly with a split at 1050 AD.

"Severed in two"

"The half allotted to the demon side"

The world was split in two. Maybe not even the whole planet, but some territory.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh God why are you applying real history to a comic involving Demons.

Because that's part of the premise: that the world the kids read about in the books at the orphanage is our world. Otherwise the statement that the year is 2048, for example, is meaningless.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The way I figured it, it was like when Literal Hell was created - the world in which the children presently find themselves. All the legends in our everyday world, of ancient heroes conquering dragons and saints expelling demons and so on, that date from then and prior, originate from humanity's ancestral battles with demons.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'll be honest, after reading the OP I expected this manga to be a LOT bloodier and more gruesome. I'd agree with it being a 'thriller' but truthfully it's super, super light on horror. It's still interesting though.

One thing that I've been thinking about, I wonder if there's more to the kids than simply 'flavor' that makes them desirable as products. The 'value' of the kids is constantly reinforced to the point where it feels like it's far, far more than just because they taste good. What if the demons actually absorb intelligence in some way from the brains they eat?

Theory : What if Sung-Joo is a 'heretic' because while other demons eat human brains to gain intelligence, his came from other sources? He says he 'can and will eat anything', perhaps that includes other demons?

khy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 19, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the only reason Emma and Ray are so important right now is because they need super top quality kids for some special event.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whether megabrains are important beyond taste Emma and Ray are still the only megabrains currently on any farm and are needed for the Tifari which is some huge festival.

e: Also if they got Norman's then they shouldn't be as stressed as they are imo because it's only three brains total.

e2: As in I do think there is more to it than just deliciousness

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thanks for posting this thread, I would probably have never heard of this otherwise and I'm enjoying it a lot :)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I actually shared this with a friend before I started reading it myself, and their reaction got me into it. What a wonderful comic manga.

I do wonder how they can keep it up outside of the tension of the escape arc. I half expect they're going to park all the real young ones with Minerva or something.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 20, 2017

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
The world being split as described makes me think of Final Fantasy V - a single world split into two congruent worlds separated by a rift - or Avatar - a world with two distinct plains of existence. I wonder if that's what we're going for, here.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I finally got around to starting this series and I'm up to where Norman is about to get shipped out.

I really don't want these kids to get eaten :ohdear:

edit: This escape went from zero to Holy poo poo real fast. The Ray's fire plan. Emma's ear. I haven't cared this much about a new manga is a long time.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 20, 2017

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Promised Neverland is really good guys.

[spoiler]So they said severed, could be some sort of dimensional thing dividing the earth into two parts merely a hairs width apart.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EmmyOk posted:

Whether megabrains are important beyond taste Emma and Ray are still the only megabrains currently on any farm and are needed for the Tifari which is some huge festival.

e: Also if they got Norman's then they shouldn't be as stressed as they are imo because it's only three brains total.

e2: As in I do think there is more to it than just deliciousness

100 chapters in
The kids are cornered
Tifari is close
Someone busts through the door
"You dont have to eat kids for good taste anymore"
Its

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Later the kids will be captured and it will introduce demon Yukihira Souma and they'll be doing a shokugeki with child brains as the theme.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New chapter out on MS:
http://readms.net/r/neverland/048/4442/1

And I want to draw attention back to this moment from chapter 7:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the table has a bunch of random pipes and poo poo under it for some reason.

edit: And also seems to be covered in skin or something?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the table has a bunch of random pipes and poo poo under it for some reason.

edit: And also seems to be covered in skin or something?

And gears, because let's face it every table is improved by having zero legroom and the ever-present threat of grinding up knees for some reason

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the kids owning Ray for always intending to sacrifice himself is super good, so was Gilda scolding Emma for similar reasons. These are good kids.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the kids owning Ray for always intending to sacrifice himself is super good, so was Gilda scolding Emma for similar reasons. These are good kids.

Yeah I really liked when it turned out that they were wrong to not tell the other kids, and that the other kids were entirely capable of "handling the truth."

Also, Don pick-pocketed from Mama, which will never stop being the single most badass thing anyone has done in this series to date.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hey a chapter

http://readms.net/r/neverland/049/4466/1

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Holy poo poo Emma.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
This series is going to some interesting places.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Excellent chapter. I'd been curious about the corpse-flower from previous chapters but forgotten about it once I reached the later ones.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I wonder when she'll kill her first demon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love the worldbuilding in this manga. The corpse flower, in particular, is very reminescent of several practices in the real world much like it, for example halal and kosher slaughter ("you can't eat it unless it's slaughtered the proper way").

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Promised neverland is actually a allegorical piece on sectarianism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I guess this suggests that the "products" are in fact getting eaten, at least in some part.