Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This would have worked a lot better if Isabella had been around for most of the manga instead of, like, the first couple of volumes and the last couple of chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ratri dying worked for me but this didn't. Guess it's really tough for writers to have these people who have done so much wrong live.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Ratri worked because he, let's face it, had no chance at a happy end. He was too much of a poo poo.

Isabelle we, the readers, knew more about because she was the arc villain for longer and way more personable, espeically since she was in the same situation as the kids. She had her quasi-redemption and that should have been fine; she & the Mothers would have their own stuff to work through off screen. So killing her off is kind of weak, especially after just doing it with Ratri (and...NOT doing it Lewis, somehow the only arc villain to come out of this i guess!) and also

Blockhouse posted:

This would have worked a lot better if Isabella had been around for most of the manga instead of, like, the first couple of volumes and the last couple of chapters.

She wasn't around as much after the first part of the comic, like pointed out here. If she had been Grandma for much longer and had more interplay between her, ratri, her plans and the kids in the background it might've hit better.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Ratri was also offed in a believable scenario by a significant character (himself). It was a fitting payoff for his character to choose to die on top than surrender even an iota of status for a better world. Isabelle's character already paid off a few chapters ago and now here comes this no-name demon to gently caress up everything. I think they maybe underestimated how many people in the audience wouldn't have been willing to forgive Isabelle's crimes, and decided death was the only way to redeem her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheHan posted:

Ratri was also offed in a believable scenario by a significant character (himself). It was a fitting payoff for his character to choose to die on top than surrender even an iota of status for a better world. Isabelle's character already paid off a few chapters ago and now here comes this no-name demon to gently caress up everything. I think they maybe underestimated how many people in the audience wouldn't have been willing to forgive Isabelle's crimes, and decided death was the only way to redeem her.

Yeah, if they really wanted to kill Isabelle off this was NOT the way to do it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Between this and yaiba I really have to stop letting myself be convinced to pick up WSJ series

(I read that paradox pilot chapter)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think a soft ending is a reason to call the whole series bad, it's still been a really good ride overall imo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think a soft ending is a reason to call the whole series bad, it's still been a really good ride overall imo

Yeah, this is just one misstep in a series that I've otherwise really enjoyed.

It's not going to ruin the whole thing for me, although it's still definitely a plot point I dislike and feel is unnecessary.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh for sure. It's definitely not sticking the landing, but most of what had come before was good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is another series that could've done with going a bit longer to flesh things out. The ending here pretty much wraps everything up in a nice bow to the point it feels like killing Isabella was "Oh poo poo, we didn't really have a lot of consequences for the main crew of good guys did we".

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Viz

MangaPlus

The Promise turns out to be sending our poor kids to America. A truly cruel fate.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
"There has to be a catch!"

The catch is you're a bunch of penniless orphans tossed into New York. Good loving luck.

bondster
May 6, 2007

The way that shot of The Statue of Liberty is framed my immediate thought was a Planet of the Apes style twist and demons have taken over there too.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Sending them to New York is truly the cruelest thing he could've done.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm more concerned that it even sent the brain-dead farm kids along with them. That isn't gonna end well.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Oh, a bunch of undocumented children that got sent to 2020 Trump's America. Welcome to living in cages again.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 24, 2020

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Author: social commentary not direct enough, time to hammer it home one more time. I genuinely hope the series goes there in the next arc and directly compares what the cast has been through so far to real life events by putting them in the middle of them. It's high risk, but high reward.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Pretty sure it's ending next chapter actually.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

E. Revenant posted:

Oh, a bunch of undocumented children that got sent to 2020 Trump's America. Welcome to living in cages again.

Goddamn, the demon God really is the ultimate troll.

They would have been better off staying in the other world.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

"the final shot of the series will probably be them walking into the light of the humanworld" I say with certainty, putting on my clown wig & nose

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is about to turn into absolute poo poo

This is not To Your Eternity. This is not going to be pulled off. This is going to be a giant garbage fire.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its in the same boat as Kimetsu, Its the authors first Jump manga. sticking a satisfying landing for a tense story such as this one is hard, and editorial pressure and inexperience can be hard to overcome, and its not a issue where the author is lacking in talent, either.

Theres not been as much behind the scenes as much other manga since the Kaiu Shirai, the author, likes their privacy.

Hell they pulled a Yoko Taro and did their interview in a bike helmet with stick on eyes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's the artist, Demizu Posuka.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Egg on my face lol
Couldnt find a pic of the author, and wikipedia says they havent disclosed their gender or age.

Kaiu did do the interview, and apparently the wonky eyed doll down there is their standin

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 25, 2020

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed the first few arcs of this series but I wish I had just stopped before it got to what it is now. There’s bad endings and then there’s..whatever this is

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

E. Revenant posted:

Fortunately, The Promised Neverland is set in 2045, IIRC. Hopefully the US government 20 years in the future will be saner.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Silver2195 posted:

Fortunately, The Promised Neverland is set in 2045, IIRC. Hopefully the US government 20 years in the future will be saner.

bwahahahahahaha

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

they’d be chopped up for stew meat

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Silver2195 posted:

Completely sincerely the best post in this thread, thank you for this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
regrettably i must now bring out The Clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Genuinely not sure what they can do with the premise of looking for Emma in a utopian future Earth. Feels weird to move to a setting where the characters will presumedly face no challenges when so much of the series was about them taking on the world.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My suspicion is that Emma was sent back ten years earlier, during the wars, to help prepare the world for her family. She'll show up as an adult dressed like Mama.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This loving sucks.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of liked this chapter

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh. Um. It didn't end?

I'm honestly surprised. The latest chapters seemed to be wrapping up things, however clumsily, so I would've thought this chapter would have been the final one. Like, a "Congrats! You did it!" chapter to cap everything off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont jinx the future writers goddamn
one world nation is great and all but a ten year world war oof definitely not

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rody One Half posted:

This loving sucks.

Yeah, they're not sticking the landing.

I don't really hold it against the writer though (this is their first project and up until now they nailed it), and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what they do after this, but this ending is not doing it for me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Basically everything that's happened since they killed the demon queen has been varying degrees of "I like the idea behind this but the pacing is a little/a lot hosed", IMO - worsening as it goes. Not disastrous, IMO, but unfortunately clumsy.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Nothing has been as engaging to me as the first arc when they were uncovering the initial mystery and trying to escape. There have been other great arcs since, but it’s always been a bummer that it peaked so early and the weak conclusion doesn’t help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The conclusion being the nations of the world co-operating to do whats best for all just like the like the separate worlds of child and demon decide to co-operate to do whats best for all just like the children co-operated to accomplish things they couldn't alone to do whats best for all is an incredibly strong thematic binding and this ending is elevating the comic for me after having written it off around the middle or so. It's a pretty relevant ending and especially right now even if its the most escapist fantasy I wish to escape to possible.