Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm gonna go with 4 chapters. Minerva will say something ominous that won't be clear for like 4 more chapters so I'm hoping his eventual explanation comes in 4 haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

It's a pretty deliberately-paced comic, I'll say it won't Turn Out It's Man for another 20 chapters.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
The next chapter is going to be the kids being critical and slowly warming up to new dude, who is probably not even Minerva. Probably 6 chapters from now, we'll get an ominous, 'They're playing right into his evil schemes' setup. Most likely breaking the promise to return to whatever warring scenario they had in the past. Besides the main characters, it seems like Musica is the only for-sure good person we've met so far. I wonder if The Seven Walls thing is a separate human/demon faction instead of a place.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Give me an even 100 chapters. I don't think we're going to find out the horrible secret of humanity so soon after meeting our first non-livestock human.

Really I want it to be never because it's such a hacky twist, but that's taken :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The connection between humans and demons will probably be grey-area stuff- like I don't see how humanity really survives against a superior looking foe like Demons so there has to be some common origin or introduction there. Basically I doubt demons and humans existed together since the beginning- one was introduced to the others world or something.

And since we've already seen more than a few humans complicit in the whole farming thing there's probably plenty who aren't really bothered by it. The kids on the farms are livestock, and they're "normal humans" and that's that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sarcophallus posted:

The next chapter is going to be the kids being critical and slowly warming up to new dude, who is probably not even Minerva. Probably 6 chapters from now, we'll get an ominous, 'They're playing right into his evil schemes' setup. Most likely breaking the promise to return to whatever warring scenario they had in the past. Besides the main characters, it seems like Musica is the only for-sure good person we've met so far. I wonder if The Seven Walls thing is a separate human/demon faction instead of a place.

That a bit hard to say about Musica as she only helped them cause Sung Joo wanted to. She originally wanted to turn them in for a reward.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

That a bit hard to say about Musica as she only helped them cause Sung Joo wanted to. She originally wanted to turn them in for a reward.

Ah, you're right! I'd forgotten about that.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what I can tell she grew to care about them, while Sung Joo only wants them to be free so he can start eating humans again.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Eopia posted:

From what I can tell she grew to care about them, while Sung Joo only wants them to be free so he can start eating humans again.

For sure, but that suggests that she's not part of some human-demon alliance splinter faction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

For sure, but that suggests that she's not part of some human-demon alliance splinter faction.

Oh yeah, it's virtually guaranteed that they're not part of some sort of pro-human organization, at least in the direct sense of "organization that benevolently wants to help humans." But if anything, I consider the revelation that Musica was originally wanting to turn the kids in to be evidence that she's Actually Good now.

Regarding the recent chapter, I'm about 95% sure this guy isn't Minerva (probably part of whatever organization Minerva is a part of), though I don't have any guesses as to what his goals are. I doubt they're harmful to the children, though, even if they might seem to be at first.

The most plausible "humans are as bad as demons" outcome seems to be some sort of "at some point during history they both killed each other so much that neither side was clearly more guilty than the other." That and being complicit in giving the demons access to humans, which I think seems to be the case, though that could be considered a reasonable privilege to grant in exchange for peace.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm going to go with 4 chapters until the human tries to trade the kids to the demons, as he's the source of the technology transfer between worlds.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The most plausible "humans are as bad as demons" outcome seems to be some sort of "at some point during history they both killed each other so much that neither side was clearly more guilty than the other." That and being complicit in giving the demons access to humans, which I think seems to be the case, though that could be considered a reasonable privilege to grant in exchange for peace.

There's also the fact that we definitely seem to have some humans working with the demons in the production of human livestock. The men in labcoats that Crone (I think it was her?) had a flashback about.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There are good and bad hombres on both sides okay

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as simple as "actually the humans were bad as well/instead!" If every new person or group the kids find on the outside winds up being secretly evil or only helpful for their own good that would be pretty irritating storytelling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Put me down for never.

Not that I believe it, but I will have faith. :colbert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mikl posted:

I think at most it will be a "humans are just as bad as the demons", but alright.

:siren: Thread contest! :siren:

Post your best guess for the number of chapters until it's revealed that the humans are just as bad as (or even worse than) the demons. Guesses are open until the next chapter gets released. The closest guess (tiebreaker: earliest-posted guess) will win a forums upgrade of your choice, courtesy of me.

http://readms.net/r/neverland/053/4539/1

I dunno where this falls under the humans are monsters scale

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I liked the detail of Mr. rear end in a top hat here having his ID number on a different part of his body. Kept the surprise of who he turned out to be fresh and it opens up the possibility of ID location coming up at some point.

I'd be very surprised if the kids just end up leaving like he's directing them to. They're too smart for that, and losing the pen would pretty much guarantee his prophecy of doom.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, I don't buy this guy being an rear end in a top hat, he's probably an assistant to Minerva. The way he's laying down how dangerous things will get, how the kids will die and how they should ditch others feels like he's testing their resolve to stick together. I'm guessing a lot of people are needed to activate the passage to the human world/break the promise or something like that.

One good thing he pointed out was how the kids are all currently defenseless if a demon gets to them now. While I don't think this will turn into a battle manga, it would be nice to figure out how they can defend themselves.

As for the humans being just as bad as the demons, just how bad are we talking about here? The reveal about the mass production farms means the humans would have to do the Chapter Black tape from Yu Yu Hakusho to even try to top it in being evil, IMO.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I would be shocked if that gun actually has any bullets in it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Allarion posted:

http://readms.net/r/neverland/053/4539/1

I dunno where this falls under the humans are monsters scale

Ehhhh, I don't know if it counts. This one guy is a jerk, but it doens't mean all humans are, which was the intention of my contest. Do you guys think it counts?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mikl posted:

Ehhhh, I don't know if it counts. This one guy is a jerk, but it doens't mean all humans are, which was the intention of my contest. Do you guys think it counts?
I think we'd need like, three rear end in a top hat human encounters in a row to confirm.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i like this manga

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Humans are the real monsters warning levels have returned back to low.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter 54!
In which Emma invokes Occam's Razor.

Dexo posted:

Humans are the real monsters warning levels have returned back to low.

They were never that high to me, honestly, I didn't really buy that last cliffhanger. Presumably once dude gets his backstory elaborated on he'll give them another bit of worldbuilding (what the hell are "poachers" in this context?) and they'll be on their way. Guessing there's another breadcrumb leading to Minerva hidden somewhere in that facility that he doesn't know about, or Ray pieces something together from the clues they do have. Hopefully this guy has more going on than "was in the same position as the kids but couldn't save everyone, got hardened by circumstances, meeting kids melts his icy heart, does heroic thing later in story" because you can see it written all over him. Not that he needs to have a swerve just for the sake of being unpredictable, it's just a little too easy to guess considering the rest of this story's pretty smart about that stuff.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well then, that's not ominous at all! :stare:

I keep being surprised at how dark this series is for a shonen, I'm really stunned this runs in Jump.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mikl posted:

Well then, that's not ominous at all! :stare:

I keep being surprised at how dark this series is for a shonen, I'm really stunned this runs in Jump.

It's probably the influence of Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan being popular that's made them more open to dark stuff, since the last couple of new series (Amalgam of Distortion, Red Sprite, etc) did open up with kids dying in general. That said, they've run gritty stuff in the past too and it's just easy to forget with Jump being as colorful as it is.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Would really love to see a better scan of that last page. There are definitely nuggets lying in it like the 'LIAR' on the bottom of the top bunk. Wanna be able to tell what else it says.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allarion posted:

It's probably the influence of Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan being popular that's made them more open to dark stuff, since the last couple of new series (Amalgam of Distortion, Red Sprite, etc) did open up with kids dying in general. That said, they've run gritty stuff in the past too and it's just easy to forget with Jump being as colorful as it is.

Yeah, well, for one there's Hunter X Hunter, which is full of completely grim and violent stuff!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Poachers are probably demons that like picking off the free-range children "illegally". I imagine this guy's group probably kept going out to find Minerva or something and got picked off one by one until he was the only one left. A decade or so and you're stir-crazy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Allarion posted:

Yeah, people got torn apart left and right in Gamaran. And JoJo ran in WSJ until 2007, with all its horrific gore (especially eyes, goddamn does Araki love eye violence).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Promised Neverland isn't even all that violent per se, it's more of a grim and foreboding atmosphere and a palpable sense of dystopia. I'm not exactly sure what to compare it to, actually, besides Attack on Titan. Promised Neverland feels like it has more of a hopeful strain to it, though, mainly embodied by Emma and her infinite ability to Never Give Up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Promised Neverland isn't even all that violent per se, it's more of a grim and foreboding atmosphere and a palpable sense of dystopia. I'm not exactly sure what to compare it to, actually, besides Attack on Titan. Promised Neverland feels like it has more of a hopeful strain to it, though, mainly embodied by Emma and her infinite ability to Never Give Up.

The first chapter with the young girl lying in a pool of her own blood, with the flower in her corpse made me think this was going to be much, much more gruesome but mainly it's just foreboding and suspenseful. Which I'm glad for, it's much more interesting this way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really hope one of them grabbed his gun. I mean. c'mon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I almost got a David from Legion vibe from some of this chapter. Guess that's one way to ensure "everyone survives".

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://readms.net/r/neverland/055/4566/1

Ugh, of course we get the stereotypical onsen fanservice chapter :rolleyes:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I did not expect that to be a literal statement.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
It was really nice to have just one chapter with everyone being comfy and in no immediate danger.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cran posted:

It was really nice to have just one chapter with everyone being comfy and in no immediate danger.

Well except for that last page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

That felt like one of those chapters in 19th and early 20th century children's books (like Wind in the Willows and Peter Rabbit) where the author just sort of goes on at length about some of the loving awesome picnics and meals the characters get to have, and you feel super comforted and also want to go there to have those meals too.