Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So Norman is pretty much confirmed to be alive now right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

That felt like some Akira type poo poo this chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Am I the only one who simply doesn't care about these kids?
I mean they are not bad, but they got introduced in such a rapid fire way that it's hard to get attached to them.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not sure they're actually dead. Still a brutal chapter though.

And hey! Finally some characters showing up I actually care about!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Man just not digging this arc. The early parts in the orphanage were amazing. But this just feels like a worse version of World Trigger.

Also not digging the WILLPOWER! stuff going on this chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Instead of willing herself back into action, it would have been more in character for Emma to go: "Oh, you've stabbed me, so now you have no way of blocking this flashbang"
We've seen that she is more than willing to gently caress herself up if it means getting a leg up on the opponent. So having last chapter end with the getting stabbed cliffhanger, only to turn it on it's head this chapter would have been a much better fit. She could also pass out on the spot after doing so, leaving the rest in Ray and old man's hands.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Let's follow these kids into this narrow passage. Surely my spear will work wonders there.
Bayon was a loving clown.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Wow... What an incredible payoff to old man's name.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I still cannot get myself to give a drat about all these new characters. Compared to the core cast they just feel... expendable I guess

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I like Yugo, but that's probably because he's been such a big part of the story ever since they escaped. Plus the dude has had a pretty interesting arc to follow. Can't really say the same about Lucas. But it's useful to have a few larger guys hanging around that can also get into physical conflict (especially now that we've got human enemies to deal with)
There's a few characters from the new batch that are interesting. Like Adam and Gillian, (even though that last one is mostly due to having a fun design) but it's pretty obvious the manga struggles to balance such a huge cast.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I actually much prefer the first few chapters. The idea of a bunch of kids having to outsmart an adult who, when push comes to shove, can just outright break your goddamn leg, when pushed into a physical confrontation. Was much more interesting.

Now every character is armed to the teeth and 2 guys managed to massacre an entire professional hitsquad.
The way they managed to escape also pales in comparison with the escape from Grace Field House.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It does feel kinda cheap how they off a bunch of no-named kids. Only for a shock factor.
Like I get it, this guy is bad news. But I feel nothing about the losses they are suffering right now. Did we even get names for the 2 kids who died when they were escaping? It's pointless and adds nothing because every one of these kids will be forgotten about in a chapter.
He already took down Yuugo and Lucas. That should have been enough.

Bitching aside, that was some amazingly hosed up imagery this chapter. Holy poo poo this guy is terrifying, even more so than any monster we've seen so far.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Pretty sure it's personal at this point.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Feels a bit like a cop-out to have the kids claim they are ready to kill him, only for a demon to pop up out of nowhere. Also I'm getting kinda frustrated with Emma claiming she wants to save everyone, but the fact that a few of her friends just got offed and she doesn't bat an eye. It's Yuugo and Lucas who everyone is sad about, but we've lost a bunch of kids, yet no one seems to care about them. We didn't even get their names.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Emma remembering her fallen family reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4GiGWIDAx8

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

You can't do this The Promised Neverland. You cannot get me to care about some kids, while you mindlessly kill off other ones.

That said, who else here thinks this new Minerva is actually Norman?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It takes balls for a new Shonen Jump series to put itself out there with a clear end goal in sight.
And I'm glad Shonen Jump is more willing to take risks on series like this nowadays. Not every series has to be the next One Piece in terms of long running action.
While I love my big shonen battle series that can go on forever. It's really nice to get a few series like this every now and then.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://readms.net/r/neverland/118/5565/1

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, not calling it yet. Something feels off.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

First episode is out. This will be this season's Made in Abyss. Only without the creepy undertones.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Any situation with sentient life should not be resolved with genocide. From a moral standpoint, the demons have just as much of a right to exist as the humans. And just killing them all is not the type of easy answer the old Norman would come up with

This is going to get messy...

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Man the expressions were really powerful this chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I cannot begin to express how uninterested I am in the demons.
And it really sucks that we have to end on a big shounen battle manga moment. They even drove home the fact that any form of negotiations are not possible. So fight the final form of this Jrpg boss I guess

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

This series has gotten so bad sadly.

It's just an endless barrage of small things that really rub me the wrong way. For example:

Emma throws down her gun and rushes to hug Phil (But look at her expression! That is NOT the face of someone wanting to hug her good friend!)
I get not wanting to hug a small child while carrying a loaded gun.
BUT THEN RAY DOES THE EXACT THING WHILE CARRYING IT! IN A GROUP HUG!
But all of the sudden a demon shows up!
And OH NO! EMMA LOST HER GUN!
But then Ray is still carrying his gun.
But it's pointless anyway. so Mom takes the stab!

Why even point this poo poo out? Why even make a point of Emma losing her gun? If it wouldn't have mattered in the first place?

It's just another small thing, but there are so many of them lately.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I lost interest when Emma's way of outsmarting the demons became. "LET'S SHOOT GUNS!"

Also Norman is still a monster who needs to own up to committing (partially successful) genocide.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 12, 2020

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

*loud fart noise*

That's how I feel about this chapter honestly. They should have replaced the Ratri stuff with this. It would have made sense there instead of just doing it again only with a slightly more sympathetic character.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Pretty sure it's ending next chapter actually.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

TPN was a major letdown for me ever since the kids escaped the orphanage.

So many plotpoints and elements felt unfinished.
Like we never address the fact that Norman attempted genocide?
Why did they have to go to the other world when for all intended purposes, the conflict between the demons and humans was pretty much settled in their own world?

What was the point of giving Emma Amnesia, if she still feels the connection between her and the others in her heart, and they get reunited anyways and can easily fill in the gaps of her memory?

It also really soured me when the solution to a lot of conflict after escaping was "Shoot the gently caress out of some demons" and then having Emma go "I'm a pacifist!"
Like the entire solution to the demon problem was build upon Norman and co murdering the gently caress out of a large portion of them. Oh and the queen who turned into a JRPG final boss form.

And I hate how the manga downright lied to us when it came to the price Emma had to pay. It's fine if Emma lied to the other kids in order to keep it a secret. But to actively lie to the reader by showing us things that simply didn't happen was really bad storytelling imo.

This manga rivals Bleach in terms of a good series I used to enjoy turning into a complete shitshow at the end.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

I hate to tell you... Bleach sucked for most of its run.

I know, and the fact that this manga, that had a shorter runtime, rivals my dislike for it is pretty damning.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I feel that the second these kids started dual wielding machine guns the series lost me.

The concept of weak kids, having to outsmart demons and their stronger human allies by being clever was lost the second the solution to a lot of problems became "Shoot it till it dies"

Emma being a pacifist and not wanting to kill the demons in order to find a solution also didn't work because Norman did it for her. And they never addressed the fact that he pretty much attempted genocide. But hey, it got rid of the evil demons and the queen. So now we can move on.

And I don't even mind the fact that solving the issue with the demons, required a bunch of them to die so peace could be achieved. But it should have had at least some impact on Emma. Same with whenever one of her friends died.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They hand waved that idea. It was around the time Lewis came back. But the large crowd of demons was pretty easily manipulated the entire time.
KILL SONJU AND MUSICA! Oh wait never mind, this Lewis guy seems pretty chill. HEY LEWIS! YOU'RE THE NEW LEADER! Wait what? We should follow Musica instead? HAIL QUEEN MUSICA!

Based on what the manga showed us, the majority of the demon population would be pretty easy to convince.
Of course, there would still be demons who'd want to eat meat, despite not needing it. But hey! Humans kill each other as well, there are laws for that stuff.

Emma's whole journey has been peace without sacrifice. Even if it's hard. Even if it seems impossible.
I don't believe splitting the world into 2 parts again is truly the best way to solve this and it kinda muddles the message for me when you end your manga with. Oh some races just can't live together.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Phil probably slapped his poo poo and told him to get the gently caress out of his home.