Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demicol posted:

In case anyone forgot (I had to double check myself)

he was shown & named last chapter https://readms.net/r/neverland/073/4865/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't recall that specifically but I would believe it. It feels like a zombie/Zack/zedhead thing in World War Z where they all have a colloquial name for the monsters because there's no official one. I forget if Musica and Sung Joo used the word unprompted though.

I think most of the demons have some remark to "ah, "Demon," I guess that's fitting, huh?" and they'll use the term for the rest of the conversation

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Have we ever actually seen a demon lose or gain their sapience? Is it the same for offspring of intelligent demons? Again, were musica and sonju telling the truth about not eating humans?

Musica & Sonju, to themselves with no one around to put up airs about anything, have a conversation where Sonju admits he wants the humans to get away because their religion just says they dont have farm raised humans. And I doubt there's any non-farm humans around at this juncture. So at that point they cannot be lying about it. If they're eating humans it's indirectly by maybe eating demons who might have ate humans

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I thought for sure they'd just do the same plto again and again. Like I guess on a grander scale that's still true: , Escape The Forest, Escape Goldy Pond, Escape The Compromised Base, Escape the World
But I meant like not they gotta escape the greater farm area and defeat Mama Grandma, and then great grandma.

So while nothing's really captured the specific tension of the first arc, I think they've shook things up enough to keep it interesting, still maintain the primary pull of hte manga and still tense. Goldy Pond in particular was really cool. I also think the post-escape has been more consistently good.The first arc definitely had strings of chapters where I lost interest, either because it seemed to be repeating itself or the subplots were a turn off.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing the reward is related to Emma's desire for everyone to make it. That's been her one driving force through the entire manga. Having to give up...something, someone, herself, whatever that relates directly to that desire, would probably be the driving force behind whatever happens next. either refusal or negotiation.

amigolupus posted:

My guess is that while you can't refuse the "reward", you can negotiate what the "reward" is, or offer something you brought with you.

Yeah I like the idea that while you can't refuse, you can negotiate. ANd it's just no one's ever thought to try because I mean you're talking with a fickle all powerful god, who would EVER be crazy enough to do that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The monarchy is clearly pretty rotten so I imagine they're on the chopping block. Question is who else dies.

I'm guessing the Norman squaddies probably bite it, despite Norman being insistent in his strategy that none of them should or need to die.

He's already lied to one faction, lying to another and then going down in a blaze of poison gas on an entire capital feels like something he'd also do. I don't think he went into this plan without everyone in the capital dying, himself and his squad included.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really hope this scene gets animated someday.

literally my first thought at seeing the cubes was every high quality animation that just breaks everything into a million cubes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I cannot begin to express how uninterested I am in the demons.
And it really sucks that we have to end on a big shounen battle manga moment. They even drove home the fact that any form of negotiations are not possible. So fight the final form of this Jrpg boss I guess

Fwiw we still have to deal with the Ratri clan. I doubt it will be as simple as them going oh cool don't have to do this anymore have fun kids.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how Ratri will react to all of this.

I'm guessing a mix of "loves the status quo and not wanting to deal with the uman wolrd fall out" and maybe a dash of "wants to enslave the demons now that they're in chaos for mumblemumblereasons"

that last part would be kind of out of nowhere but i mean hey when life gives you lemons, right?
e: when life gives you demons make demonaid

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tbp posted:

i haven't been keeping up a ton, did they reveal what the promise emma made was

No

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

stupendous

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

amigolupus posted:

New chapter's out

Isabella dying here feels like a bullshit way to turn what's supposed to be a happy ending into a bittersweet one. Everyone's finally free, and this should really just be a victory lap.

One thing I'm morbidly curious about, but not really interested in finding out the answer, is what's going to happen to those farms where kids are essentially brain-dead. I'm really not sure what anyone can do about that situation.

Probably just mercy killed. Unhooked, and let to pass naturally, like what Normal did. But this time, presumably they will get let to die "comfortably" and a proper burial

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'll be shocked if we actually see the human world and the final shot is not the kids walking through the door(s) into the light pouring out from the human world

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Didn't they destroy that elevator alongside everything else in Goldy Pond

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I think they did actually, so we have no idea how it connected to the human world.

I assumed it was just a magical elevator between 2 points. Things would probably get a little trippy on the transition seam

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Ratri worked because he, let's face it, had no chance at a happy end. He was too much of a poo poo.

Isabelle we, the readers, knew more about because she was the arc villain for longer and way more personable, espeically since she was in the same situation as the kids. She had her quasi-redemption and that should have been fine; she & the Mothers would have their own stuff to work through off screen. So killing her off is kind of weak, especially after just doing it with Ratri (and...NOT doing it Lewis, somehow the only arc villain to come out of this i guess!) and also

Blockhouse posted:

This would have worked a lot better if Isabella had been around for most of the manga instead of, like, the first couple of volumes and the last couple of chapters.

She wasn't around as much after the first part of the comic, like pointed out here. If she had been Grandma for much longer and had more interplay between her, ratri, her plans and the kids in the background it might've hit better.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

"the final shot of the series will probably be them walking into the light of the humanworld" I say with certainty, putting on my clown wig & nose

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of liked this chapter

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I liked the ending.

I think the last quarter of the manga was probably the weakest, but overall I still really liked the manga. I'll probably reread it soon just to get a better feel for all the end stuff.

Best arc was probably the first but I think my favorite arc over all was Goldy Pond

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Goldy Pond was really rad so it probably not happening is a big bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Maybe the intent's meant to be like, we probably won't get a third season, so we want to hit the end in one season's worth of episodes, but it'd be too much to just cut and slap around, so lets write an original path to the end?