Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, I don't buy this guy being an rear end in a top hat, he's probably an assistant to Minerva. The way he's laying down how dangerous things will get, how the kids will die and how they should ditch others feels like he's testing their resolve to stick together. I'm guessing a lot of people are needed to activate the passage to the human world/break the promise or something like that.

One good thing he pointed out was how the kids are all currently defenseless if a demon gets to them now. While I don't think this will turn into a battle manga, it would be nice to figure out how they can defend themselves.

As for the humans being just as bad as the demons, just how bad are we talking about here? The reveal about the mass production farms means the humans would have to do the Chapter Black tape from Yu Yu Hakusho to even try to top it in being evil, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Well, we know something interesting now. The factory farm kid is obsessed with Norman's number.

Honestly, I thought that kid IS Norman, who got lobotomized and transformed by the demons.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh, so Adam isn't a transformed Norman. Maybe Norman tried to escape with others, but Adam's the only one lucky enough to get away?

I'd want to say they're keeping Norman alive to find a successor to Peter Ratri, but the other kids in a room that looks like a nursery makes me think they're trying to transform the kids into demons.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Now this is just silly. Say his name already, dammit! :argh:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's interesting that the kids were readying themselves to kill this guy but then that demon killed him for them. I like that the demon appearing didn't feel like a deus ex machina either, since we know that being loud in the forest runs the risk of a demon hearing you.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

When we last saw Norman, he was at a research facility where they were doing weird things to kids. Adam was one of them.

My guess is that they were researching how to make demon/human hybrids. That could explain why Hayato was super fast, or why that Zazie fellow is strong and fast enough to kill demons with just a blade.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

I just watched the anime and started reading the thread, but it sounds like the manga has gone further? Caught a link earlier in the thread to the manga on readms.net, I can read it here? and where should I pick up from?

If you got a subscription, you can read the manga on Viz's website.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My speculation is this new girl is neutral about demons and might be persuaded to not kill Musica. It's Hayato that's probably keeping a close eye on Don and Gilda on Norman's orders. The way he's too cheery and careless is really suspicious, not to mention how he slipped off to gather firewood right when they found a clue to finding Musica.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Looks like I was right and Hayato's the one keeping tabs on them. Don and Gilda really need to remember that Norman was always several steps ahead of them when they were playing as kids, and that Ayshe and her dogs alone can't possibly take on both Musica and Sonju.

TheHan posted:

Actually, that makes more sense. If she actually likes demons and was living peacefully with them it would recontexualize Norman and Friend's daring rescue into a spontaneous massacre, and it would give Emma's side a much needed leg up, narrative wise. Hayato's been kind of a chummy dork since he was introduced though, so I would be surprised if he was betraying anyone.

Eeeeey, you called it! :D I have two questions here though. How did Norman even manage to find Ayshe when she was living in seclusion with her father? And does Norman understand the demons' language and know Ayshe hates their guts?

Ayshe is definitely gonna be an awkward ally since she wants Norman and his crew dead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really gotta give kudos to the author for being really good at making you feel something for a character within a chapter or two. First was sympathy for Ayshe and her dad, and now hate for Ratri Prime. He was one hell of a fucker this chapter, with all that talk about how he's had enough of sacrificing others while he already signed up his closest friends to be the first cattle people. He's deluded himself into thinking he's saved the world, when he's just a massive hypocrite who's fine if anyone other than him becomes the victim of the system he proposed. I really like how fitting his punishment is. He thinks he'll die and become a martyr while his people can finally wash their hands of the demon world and the people they betrayed, but no, they'll be forever intertwined with the world and never allowed to forget what they did.

RatHat posted:

Chapter 142

There's no way the author would drop the "You absolutely must not refuse him his reward" without showing the consequences, so I'm guessing the reward will be something Emma refuses to pay. She seems to value freedom above all else so maybe the "reward"(which is actually more of a punishment) will be that all the cattle children will continue to be prisoners even in the human world.

I'm curious about the reward from the demons too. Does he gets high quality meat on a regular basis? Or are Emma/Ray(they went meant for the festival or whatever) THE reward that is going to be paid out now and it's some time fuckery?
Or since it seems like the rewards are meant to be punishment, maybe it's that ALL of the highest quality meat goes to him and the King/Queen is stuck with only the 2nd best meat forever.

My guess is that while you can't refuse the "reward", you can negotiate what the "reward" is, or offer something you brought with you. Maybe Emma words the wish in a way that the "reward" would rely on Musica's ability?

All the high quality meat going to this god would explain why the demons are having issues with preserving their intellect, and why the demon king who made the promise seemed shocked by the "reward". The god knew that this would grind the demons down over time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think one of the most hosed-up things in this chapter that the author thankfully doesn't go into detail are the condition of the "farms". In this time frame, the humans were using swords and bows so we can assume that the technology level is medieval era. So without the demons' factories producing babies for the farms, it means the captive adults were forced to constantly breed, all while knowing their kids will either be turned into food for the demons or become future breeding stock.

Sindai posted:

I guess the biggest gap in this plan is that nothing is stopping a demon from entering and reversing Emma's wish if they get desperate enough. Maybe refusing the price will play into that.

One of the rules is that promises made with the god can't be overwritten, so Emma's wish should be safe.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Looks like Sun-Joo's getting his wish, huh? Remember that Sun-Joo's motive in helping Emma and her family was because he wanted to experience hunting humans again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Emma not telling the promise to even Ray definitely makes me suspect the reward is something Ray and the others will absolutely hate.

Also, I wanna say that I appreciate how it gave us a moment of Gilda processing how ruthless Norman has become and how it affected her. A weaker writer would have ignored her perspective and would have had everyone hurrying along with whatever they needed to do.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New TPN chapter's out. I wonder what Emma and Ray will do now that Norman's crossed the line like this. Wasn't there a child of the royal that got exiled or something? Maybe Emma and Ray can track them down to negotiate for a new promise. Or have Mujica take over as the new queen.

Also Norman really did know the demons' language. Not only did he kill of Aishe's dad, he knew full well what she was shouting at them and still pretended he didn't just to use her as a pawn. What a cold fucker.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The series is inherently optimistic so I can see this ending with them living happily ever after.

Maybe it's just me, but I consider this to be the final boss battle of the series, even if it only lasted this chapter. Admitting to yourself that you're scared and need help is hard enough, but letting down your walls and making that step to ask others for help is even harder. I was really worried Norman would double down on his plan, so it was a huge relief to see him hug Emma and Ray in the end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter.

PHIL! (age 6) :3:

I got to say, I like that even to the end, Sonju was conflicted because that he won't be able to eat free-range humans anymore. He knew full well from the start what would happen but he still helped Emma anyway because it's the right thing to do. Dude would make an alright ruler.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter.

At first I thought maybe the author's making Ratri too evil to make us hate him, but then I remembered that this dude willingly oversaw the entire system of farming kids and conducting experiments on them, so yeah, him being a huge sociopath like this makes sense.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Didn't see it posted, but here's the chapters from last week, as well as the current one. I love that the kids are going, "Oh, you thought you trapped us in here? No, you're trapped in here with us." :getin:

This was from last week's chapter:

I can't wait for Emma and the others to throw these words right back at him as they leave him with all his plans in ruins. Maybe Isabella would do it, since I get the feeling she's actually on Emma's side and is just angling to stab Ratri in the back when the time's right.

morcant posted:

Yeah, and there's an extra bit of ominousness in his mentioning that everyone who wanted their meat perfect is dead. Not just for the kids right now, but for the farm system in general if he wins. Gracefield sucked the least from the perspective of the kids, and I doubt Ratri would keep such a high cost/low yield operation going. Fuuuuck

Yeah, last week's chapter confirmed this. As much as the whole orphanage deal sucked, it at least raised the kids in a nice and safe environment. Ratri's method is just going for the most cost-effective and inhumane thing like a vulture capitalist. It'd also screw over the demons, since we've seen them complain about the quality of the meat and worrying if they can keep their form with it in one of the older chapters.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter.

I can't wait for Ratri to gloat about how he realized the kids' goal and lured them in the drawing room to kill, only for the kids to rain on his parade and have a completely different goal instead.

TheHan posted:

It would be amazing if Ratri's whole plan fell through cause he didn't expect the kids to just bowl through the farm killing everyone. Curious how pacifist Emma plans on getting them outta there.

Apparently pacifist Emma's plan involves strategic use of sleeping gas. :v: I like how this highlights how much the kids have improved since their escape. Back then they were desperately running away and one guard would have easily killed them all, but now they're just trapping them like it's no big deal.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'd guessed that Isabella would betray Ratri, but I certainly didn't expect all the other moms/mom candidates to do so as well. This comic is so good! :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Promised Neverland says happy international women's day this chapter. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought the high priest would be the one to save Mujika and Sonju, so seeing Leuvis back was certainly a twist for me. I guess the battle with Emma and the others, as well as the death of the queen, has made him reconsider his neutral stance on things.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ratri is just determined to spoil everyone's happy ending for no loving reason other than pride.

I can't wait for Emma to put the final nail in his coffin by saying that the promise already went through and there's nothing he can do about it. It's going to be great. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Hahaha

"Oh my god, our ancestor betrayed all his friends and enslaved their children to be eaten like cattle!"
"Oh boy this is great! Our ancestor sure was a great man!"

Even as a kid, Ratri was an absolute poo poo and I respect the author for not backing down on it.

Same. I was worried it'd be some weird-rear end redemption at first , but nope, Ratri was a sociopath even back then.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I loved the part where the demons overthrew the yoke of capitalism. Everyone already felt like the nobles were screwing them over, so they were pretty quick to see Leuvis' point of view.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter's out

Isabella dying here feels like a bullshit way to turn what's supposed to be a happy ending into a bittersweet one. Everyone's finally free, and this should really just be a victory lap.

One thing I'm morbidly curious about, but not really interested in finding out the answer, is what's going to happen to those farms where kids are essentially brain-dead. I'm really not sure what anyone can do about that situation.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The recent chapters feel like the ending to Lord of the Rings. There are several perfectly good stopping points, but the story just keeps going on and on.

galagazombie posted:

I know it's an unpopular opinion in this thread, but I thought the story's been on a fast decline ever since they found Norman. Making the Demons just weird mutants with "Parallel Gene Transfer" really ruined all the terror and suspense. Like remember how Lewis was loving terrifying as this unknowable thing that hunts children on safari like he's one of the Fey. Now they're just mooks. And I really don't like the whole pacifism thing out of complete nowhere. They've all been repeatedly traumatized by these guys and all of a sudden Emma is a pacifist where theres this hard shift in tone where no, the child eating dudes just have a few bad apples and are all loving families. And then the story makes repeated Deus ex Machina's so no one has to actually consider any hard choices and brings all the popular characters back from the dead. It's just painfully generic and uninspired.

To be fair, while the set-up and world of TPN is pretty gruesome, the tone of the story has always been hopeful. If it had been needlessly grim and the characters were killed one by one, then it wouldn't really be a good fit for Shonen Jump. The goal of the kids has always been to get as happy an ending as possible.

I don't agree that Emma's growth into a pacifist came out of nowhere, though. She was the one who kept pushing for everyone to live right from the start. She met Mujika and Sonju and found out that there are demons who don't need to eat humans. She met Yugo, Lucas and the Goldy Pond kids and realized just how hard it is to survive out in the world. She also disguised herself and infiltrated demon villages and saw how the demons have families and are struggling to survive themselves. Emma's always been very empathetic so it makes sense that she experienced all of these and became a pacifist as a result.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm more concerned that it even sent the brain-dead farm kids along with them. That isn't gonna end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Link to the official chapter

Looks like Emma didn't get sent to the past, after all. My guess is that Ray and the others will find Emma and she remembers them, because the reward only said that Emma could't meet her family again, it never said the others couldn't come find her.

Also, I'm still annoyed at Isabella dying at the last minute for no good reason.