Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

What's supposed to be bad there? Drops when quickly moving left or right? If so, I played 2 rounds of the demo and did nothing but rocked my finger back and forth and never had it register a drop.

The hard drops yea. I played a party round with a friend and she was having that exact problem that everyone on the internet talks about : accidentally pressing up during Tetris. And I was too

But today I recieved the Xenoblade Pro Controller and my first impressions with it are: improvement. No accidental drops so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
BOTW is $45 if for some reason you don't own it and a Switch

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-Nintendo-Nintendo-Switch-045496590420/55432568

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. I always want to replay that game, but nothing comes close to the very first time I ever encountered the village and the doctor, and the whole nightmare began. Just running through that town being stabbed, shooting to the last bullet, and being saved by the bell at the last second, the chainsaw guy bearing down on me and then leaving. That was an amazing gaming experience.

No other time came close, since I had killed how many chainsaw maniacs by that point that I was no longer impressed by them. I would later go on to know that town's layout far too well and all the spots with items from playing it so much.

It's like BotW. I'll never get that first time back. But that's what makes the best games the best games I suppose.

The defining moment of RE4 for me will always be the first time I shot one of the villagers in the head and instead of just falling over dead like usual, that loving bulging pulsating freakshow popped out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Weedle posted:

The defining moment of RE4 for me will always be the first time I shot one of the villagers in the head and instead of just falling over dead like usual, that loving bulging pulsating freakshow popped out.

Throne.
It was the throne.
Throne made me look around the room like I was pranked.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Fedule posted:

What's the state of the mini-dock scene right now? The Nyko one seems to break a lot of things. SFANS was a complete implosion. A bunch of what seemingly generic USB-C to HDMI+USB+Power adapters exist on Amazon but apparently only support 30fps?

Is the mini-dock dream dead?

I really wanted a mini-dock, but the price difference between the official dock ($60) plus mini-housing ($20) vs the cheapest third party mini dock ($40) was not enough for me to feel comfortable risking my $250 Switch plus the save files for the games I’m in the middle of. It took 2 or 3 months for widespread reports of the Nyko dock failures to spread, the Best Buy dock hasn’t been available that long, and the cheap Shenzhen docks on Amazon have been changing their brand name every month.

The Nintendo Switch is perfect, and only perfect accessories should be connected to it.

The Bloop posted:

I am pretty happy that companies are taking feedback and doing something with it.

The recently announced updates have made me seriously consider DooM and Mummy and I was just slightly in the nope column before.

I bought Doom without second guessing myself when the gyro-aiming patch was announced because I’ve never enjoyed any twin-stick shooters and Splatoon 2/BotW have spoiled me. Mouse was always good for aiming, dual stick felt like you were learning how the games’ auto-aim worked, IR/Wiimote felt like trying to hold one outstretched hand still while shaking the other hand to reload. Gyro-aiming with no other motion controls is the best of all controls, especially for console gaming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

After playing a few hours of Doom with gyro, it’s safe to say it’s the best console version now even with worse graphics/frame rate. The controls are tight as poo poo and I’m pulling off stuff that I could never do with just dual sticks.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I’m going to play Doom (2016, but perfect)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Full Disclosure, I went back to Puyo demo with my new Pro controller and tried TETRIS instead of Puyo this time and I did get some hard drops. Not a lot, but it's definitely still just kind of baked into the Pro controller's design, I suppose...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah Puyo does not have hard drops at all normally, gotta test with Tetris instead. Honestly the input tester in the Switch menu itself is usually a pretty good indicator too.

I did the Dpad mod for a joycon for fun but I need something to really test the hell out of it. Thinking Celeste is probably the game that's gonna brutalize my thumb the most?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Think I'm done with Darkest Dungeon until they release a UI patch. Pretty fun game though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad they had the sense to add gyro aiming to Doom. Now it'll be on my buy list eventually. Really didn't see the point in buying a worse port of something I already own on another platform if it wasn't going to kick rear end in portable mode, which only seemed possible with motion controls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On that note, can you invert the camera using the stick but keep gyro aim un-inverted? That poo poo was really frustrating in RE revelations because I have to invert the camera, but gyro controls feel completely stupid inverted and the RE doesn't have the option do both and it feels like poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish for them to also release Doom 1 and Doom 2 on the Switch, also with gyro aiming.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

On that note, can you invert the camera using the stick but keep gyro aim un-inverted? That poo poo was really frustrating in RE revelations because I have to invert the camera, but gyro controls feel completely stupid inverted and the RE doesn't have the option do both and it feels like poo poo.

Yep, separate options for joystick and gyro inversion.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Guys I might be going from "Bayonetta is pretty good" to "oh poo poo I might love this game," I just replayed a few early missions to make sure I hit all verses and got my first platinum. Wow that was fun

I also already got the counter skill, bat within, and the witch time accessory, feels good

I'm only in chapter 7 or so though so quick question: do you guys wait until after beating the game to go back to get every hidden verse, or do you randomly go back to earlier levels as you work through the story to find hidden goodies/grind some halos along the way?

I'm not sure how to balance just pressing forward with going back to replay stages every now and then in between major arcs, though I seem to have fun either way so maybe it doesn't matter

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just wanna pop in to say the new dark base in Kirby: Star Allies is hilarious

What is even going on in this game

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That looks like it came right out of some fantasy RPG.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

KingSlime posted:

Guys I might be going from "Bayonetta is pretty good" to "oh poo poo I might love this game," I just replayed a few early missions to make sure I hit all verses and got my first platinum. Wow that was fun

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want a new 1080 and a new Wave Race with rear end in a top hat announcer code back.

I suck at racing games, but I loved Wave Race. It was always such a pretty game. Would probably get.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

If you can write up better instructions or even find a link/YouTube I am very interested!!!
It’s pretty simple. The video link that came with mine pretty much left out a bunch of screws in the original dock, so the main thing is just looking around unscrewing a bunch of more screws until everything comes apart. Mind the ribbon cable connecting the main board to the little USB-C connector piece while taking it apart, to disconnect it you flip up the connector thing (on either end) to release the cable. I don’t remember if it’s obvious or not, but probably a good idea to keep in mind the orientation just in case. The LED is a simple plug connector you can just pull out...and isn’t used in the portable dock so you don’t need it anymore (although I planned to jam mine in, but forgot until I screwed the portable one closed :downs:). There’s some fiddly bits around the USB-C connector, but again just screw everything apart.

To stick it in the new case, I’d suggest connecting the ribbon cable back first (and wrapping it around however you want). I went over the upper side cause that seemed to put the least tension on it, but I’ve seen other videos going the other way and that seems to work fine too. Anyway basically just line stuff up and screw it all in from there. A few on the inside to secure the boards, then the rest on the outside to close the shell. There’s a few foam feet for the bottom and two more to go where the Switch sits cause the port sits a bit high.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah Puyo does not have hard drops at all normally, gotta test with Tetris instead. Honestly the input tester in the Switch menu itself is usually a pretty good indicator too.

I did the Dpad mod for a joycon for fun but I need something to really test the hell out of it. Thinking Celeste is probably the game that's gonna brutalize my thumb the most?
Yeah, particularly on the harder stuff where you gotta transition directional dashes pretty quickly and accurately. At this point I’m good enough with the analog stick that I don’t really mind, but I still screw up the inputs here and there at particularly bad times.

But also you should get Celeste anyway just cause it’s awesome.

Or whatever retro game of some sort that requires a lot of back and forth movement, like rolling left to right or whatever opposite directions. That’s the stuff I have trouble with (or at least feels most awkward) on the joycon buttons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish for them to also release Doom 1 and Doom 2 on the Switch, also with gyro aiming.
The original Doom games didn't have any vertical aiming, just horizontal, and none of the official ports have changed this, so this would be of limited effect.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

The original Doom games didn't have any vertical aiming, just horizontal, and none of the official ports have changed this, so this would be of limited effect.
:thejoke:

When's that new Mario Tennis meant to be coming out?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Croccers posted:

:thejoke:

When's that new Mario Tennis meant to be coming out?
It doesn't have a date yet outside of "Spring 2018".

irlZaphod posted:

So here's a timetable (3DS games in italics).

January 19: Kirby: Battle Royale [NA]
January 23: Lost Sphear
January 25: Celeste
January 26: Pokemon Crystal (VC)
January 31: Pokken Tournament DX Battle Pack (Wave 1)
February 9: Dragon Quest Builders
February 16: Bayonetta 1+2, Fe, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
February 27: Payday 2 (featuring timed exclusive new character)
"February": Super Mario Odyssey Free Update (Luigi's Balloon World, new costumes, new Snapshot mode filters)
March 16: Kirby: Star Allies
March 23: Pokken Tournament DX Battle Pack (Wave 2)
May 4: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (w/ Funky Kong Easy Mode)
May 25: Dark Souls Remastered
"May": Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

"Spring 2018": Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle Story DLC feat. Donkey Kong
"Summer 2018": Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy
"This Year": The World Ends With You: Final Remix, Project Octopath Traveler, Yoshi For Nintendo Switch, Runner 3, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega Man collections also in May

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You know why I don't own it?

Cause I waited for this moment :v:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

i sincerely want this with or without gyro.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Per my Amazon preorder, Runner 3 is releasing on March 27th. Don't think Nintendo has confirmed the date, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How do I enter idspispopd on Switch

WHY is this in my brain instead of things I need for graduate school or, like, life!?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why did they remove the FOV slider from Doom?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No april nintendo game? Boo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

No april nintendo game? Boo

Labo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Panic Button, the company behind the ports of Doom and Wolfenstien, on the Switch

“The Switch release has been perfect. Actually it’s mentioned in almost all the port requests we receive. To keep up with this pace, we already have 12 kits at the office! Not yet the platform with the most kits, but definitely the fastest growing trend in our office. In the games we have published we’ve seen more sales on Switch than on PS4 and XBox One combined during the same period. Now every developer wants their game to be on the Switch.”

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Finished my intitial story mode run of Bayonetta 1. I know that skipping cutscenes is what all the cool kids are doing but, despite having beaten this game on every other console at least once, I still watched the cutscenes again because I think it really adds to the overall Bayonetta experience. It takes me back to the first time I played it on xbox360 all those years ago when I watched the opening cutscenes and found out that I could basically do all the crazy cutscene poo poo myself during gameplay. It blew my loving mind.

For those of you having trouble getting high scores or if you just want to cheese the game, the Kilgore exploit still works on switch:
1. Equip a standard hand-type weapon to your hand and feet slot in set A. The basic guns or the durga(lightning) work really well.
2. Equip whatever you like in the hand slot for set B, but make sure to equip kilgore on the B legs slot.
3. While in set A, do the Y Y Y Y A combo that ends with a chun-li style multi-kick finisher, but just as you press A, switch to set B and now your enemy is getting aproximately 2000 bazooka missiles to the face.

Combine this with the accessory that auto-taunts every enemy and your combo score will go through the roof. It also has the added bonus of killing loving everything really quickly.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SeANMcBAY posted:

After playing a few hours of Doom with gyro, it’s safe to say it’s the best console version now even with worse graphics/frame rate. The controls are tight as poo poo and I’m pulling off stuff that I could never do with just dual sticks.

Well gently caress me now I'm curious enough to get it

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Panic Button, the company behind the ports of Doom and Wolfenstien, on the Switch

“The Switch release has been perfect. Actually it’s mentioned in almost all the port requests we receive. To keep up with this pace, we already have 12 kits at the office! Not yet the platform with the most kits, but definitely the fastest growing trend in our office. In the games we have published we’ve seen more sales on Switch than on PS4 and XBox One combined during the same period. Now every developer wants their game to be on the Switch.”

Let's take apart that bolded statement a bit:

Rocket League: Released on PS4 in July 2015, Xbone February 2016. Switch version was released November 2017.
DOOM: Released on PS4/Xbone in May 2016, Switch in November 2017.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that a port to a new console is selling better than the same game is selling on consoles that have already had the game for more than a year. Also I bet their numbers don't include Doom: VFR edition.

Not to be disparaging of the Switch of course, and other devs have reported better sales on Switch (Blossom Tales, for instance, did better in its launch week on the Switch than it had the entire time it'd been on Steam) but Panic Button's being disingenuous with that statement. Now, if you told me that the Switch Doom sales so far are similar or even the same as the first three months on PS4 or even Xbone--that'd be news.

[Edit: Christ, this would be like Yacht Club saying that Shovel Knight sold better on Switch than the Wii U in the time it's been out on the Switch. They wouldn't be wrong, but it's a pointless comparison to make]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 21, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Guy Goodbody posted:

“The Switch release has been perfect."

I mean that goes without saying.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh the company name is Panic Button

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kept reading this as we should panic and I couldn't figure out why.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Rocket League: Released on PS4 in July 2015, Xbone February 2016. Switch version was released November 2017.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that a port to a new console is selling better than the same game is selling on consoles that have already had the game for more than a year. Also I bet their numbers don't include Doom: VFR edition.

Not to be disparaging of the Switch of course, and other devs have reported better sales on Switch (Blossom Tales, for instance, did better in its launch week on the Switch than it had the entire time it'd been on Steam) but Panic Button's being disingenuous with that statement. Now, if you told me that the Switch Doom sales so far are similar or even the same as the first three months on PS4 or even Xbone--that'd be news.

[Edit: Christ, this would be like Yacht Club saying that Shovel Knight sold better on Switch than the Wii U in the time it's been out on the Switch. They wouldn't be wrong, but it's a pointless comparison to make]

Wow you're right, they were disingenuously saying you can get a lot of new sales by porting a game over to the Switch, by describing the fact that it happened. You cracked the code by doing some detective work to figure out that Doom and Rocket League came out before 2017.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lelandjs posted:

I think they have released other ports of other stuff on other systems in that time, just nothing as high profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I interpreted that "during the same period" thing as meaning the same window of release on a platform. As in the Switch version sold more during it's first month of availability than the PS4 sold during it's first month of availability.

I didn't even consider there may be other interpretations. We need a definition for "period."

• Locked thread