Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Here's the thing about N64.

All of those games you remember liking?

They're garbage, they haven't aged well and they look like poo poo. I'm not some graffix whore but rudimentary 3D at 15 frames per second looks like poo poo.

Modern tvs don't help much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

The Steam Controller has full analog triggers, actually. It’s a pain to set up with Dolphin, though.

Yeah I know, by two-stage I meant they have the analog soft pull and then a second stage press at full pull, just like GC controllers do. (Why oh why did Nintendo come up with that great thing and abandon it :( )

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
N64 games aged millions of times better than PS1 games

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hace posted:

Both are hideous today but I thought most PS1 games were hideous even back then.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Hace posted:

At least there were some 2D/pixel art games on PS1 that have aged well, e.g. Symphony of the Night. Mario 64 and the two Zelda games are pretty much the only N64 games I ever want to play again nowadays.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Beastie posted:

They're garbage, they haven't aged well and they look like poo poo. I'm not some graffix whore but rudimentary 3D at 15 frames per second looks like poo poo.

Mario 64 is still a phenomenal game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Imagined posted:

At least there were some 2D/pixel art games on PS1 that have aged well, e.g. Symphony of the Night. Mario 64 and the two Zelda games are pretty much the only N64 games I ever want to play again nowadays.

Fortunately both Zeldas got remakes on 3DS which are much better so you don't even need to play the original versions

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Fortunately both Zeldas got remakes on 3DS which are much better so you don't even need to play the original versions

Mario 64 DS is arguably better in a lot of ways to the original as well. It controls really well with the 3DS analog stick and similarly to 3D Land/World. That game deserves another look even if you thought it was poo poo on the original DS with the dpad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hace posted:

Isn't this just a factor of Nintendo games tending to age better than most other games in the first place?

Mainly because The N64 Had No Games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario and friends are a lot more on model too. He's actually lower poly but just much better put together.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Beastie posted:

Who cares, idiot

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Beastie posted:

nah most are fine. i still play mario 64 and goldeneye and blast corps from time to time. hell i still play alot of ps1 games. come fight me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
friends, i'm going to pre-order xcom 3. i know it's kind of moot now but i feel i am making the correct choice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zelder posted:

Mario 64 is still a phenomenal game

Eh it's pretty dated now. I would totally play a totally remastered Mario 64 with 3D Worlds art style and better controls/movement. Same with Sunshins even though I don't care about Sunshine all that much. The main draw there would be how PRETTY it'd be :swoon:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 27, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario 64 really would be great with a HD remake, though it'd mean a total graphical redesign for a lot of it. (What's the background of Wet-Dry World again?)

The XCOM remakes are kinda funny in that assuming they pick up from XCOM 2, they're kinda totally setting up everything for Terror from the Deep, maybe mixed with Apocalypse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beastie posted:

Here's the thing. It's not rose colored glasses. I still play N64. It has a lot of good games. It has been less than 48 hours since I've had my N64 turned on. I run it through an s video->hdmi scaler. I cherry pick used controllers for it. The whole works. EVERY DAY I OPEN PALM SLAM AN N64 CART INTO

It has great games. A portable version of greatest hits with hdmi out and good controllers would be awesome, and I'd argue more necessary than a GameCube classic would be. You can still play GameCube games on a Wii or even Wii U, the controllers don't age poorly and the Wii/u output to modern video interface standards cheaply.

GameCube also emulates well.

We don't need a GameCube classic. We need an N64 classic for all the above reasons

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
N64 mini gets stardew valley and everyone suddenly goes loving silent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hace posted:

Cds are more fragile. You couldnt possibly mean something else.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's the likelihood of seeing Wii/Wii U rereleases on VC or remasters on Switch? I'd like to catch up on a few games I missed out on. Pikmin 3, Skyward Sword, and Wooly Yoshi off the top of my head. I'd like to try them out, but can't justify buying a Wii U just for a few titles. Doesn't help that my setup doesn't lend itself well to what I perceive as the need for wild gesticulation required by motion controls (looking at you Zelda :argh:). My house has no central TV or area setup as such. I'm the only person with anything even resembling a TV. I'd be stuck playing Wii U poo poo in my room, which is small, on a computer monitor either sitting or laying on my bed. Certainly less than ideal for motion controls.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hace posted:

Battle Arena Toshinden looks better than Smash

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maybe the N64 classic would remind people that Mischief Makers exists and needs a goddamned sequel

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why would I care about Super Mario 64 when Sunshine and soon, Odyssey exist, which are far superior games that are basically all in the same concept family.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I got food poisoning a little after playing Sunshine and now I can't play it without feeling sick

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Imagine, if you will, playing Super Mario 64 on the Switch. Perfect.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dog nougat posted:

What's the likelihood of seeing Wii/Wii U rereleases on VC or remasters on Switch? I'd like to catch up on a few games I missed out on. Pikmin 3, Skyward Sword, and Wooly Yoshi off the top of my head. I'd like to try them out, but can't justify buying a Wii U just for a few titles. Doesn't help that my setup doesn't lend itself well to what I perceive as the need for wild gesticulation required by motion controls (looking at you Zelda :argh:). My house has no central TV or area setup as such. I'm the only person with anything even resembling a TV. I'd be stuck playing Wii U poo poo in my room, which is small, on a computer monitor either sitting or laying on my bed. Certainly less than ideal for motion controls.

Very likely for some of the more notable ones like Smash 4. I'm not too sure about Pikmin or Yoshi though. I wouldn't be surprised if Skyward Sword got an HD remake on Switch down the line.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why would I care about Super Mario 64 when Sunshine and soon, Odyssey exist, which are far superior games that are basically all in the same concept family.

Super Mario 64 is far superior game to sunshine (and all later Mario titles) and was an important milestone in video game history. Jury's still out on Odyessy but so far I'm not crazy about that hat possession gimmick. I'd rather use the n64 moveset to explore huge worlds and complete objectives in beautiful High Def.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

I dunno man, that's true for pretty much every game in the first year that wasn't Mario 64, but by the end? Conker's Bad Fur Day still looks good, and not just "for an N64 game", as well as Paper Mario which picked a really good artstyle that doesn't seem to age at all.

Though yeah, baring those few exceptions, on average the best looking N64 game doesn't compare to even the worst looking GC game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Though yeah, baring those few exceptions, on average the best looking N64 game doesn't compare to even the worst looking GC game.

That makes sense though because the GC was a generation later and came with a hardware package Nintendo would see fit to use for three whole generations. The 64 was a one-off hardware-wise, which again, why it's more important to classic-ify

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You could list a dozen uncontroversially good N64 games without much difficulty, I think.

However, N64 and Gamecube games both deserve to be playable on airplanes, toilets, rooftop barbecues, etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

While the NES and SNES Classic systems attempted accurate emulation to the original hardware. N64 Classic should try to run for best performance.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Camera controls in Mario 64 were awful. I thought they were good until Ocarina came out and then I went "Oh, those were a mess!"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

my first n64 game was killer instict gold and it was not good

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
People saying the N64's games were bad are crazy

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why would I ever play super Mario brothers when super Mario world exists, said the very stupid poster

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

N64 Classic should include

Super Mario 64
Waverace 64
Mario Kart 64
Ocarina of Time
Buck Bumble
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Star Fox 64
Rogue Squadron
Mischief Makers

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
This is the Switch thread please talk about Switch gam-- oh. Nm.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
no VC games and no stardew and look what that loving did to you guys

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dizz posted:

no VC games and no stardew and look what that loving did to you guys

Out of curiosity, how long have other Nintendo consoles had to wait for a Mario game?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, how long have other Nintendo consoles had to wait for a Mario game?

It was several months for Sunshine and about exactly a year for Galaxy. On the other hand, New Super Mario Bros. U was a launch title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

N64 Classic should include

Super Mario 64
Waverace 64
Mario Kart 64
Ocarina of Time
Buck Bumble
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Star Fox 64
Rogue Squadron
Mischief Makers

No F-Zero? No Smash Bros? No Paper Mario? None of the Mario Parties? No Kirby? No 1080?

Sadly, even if we do get an N64 mini, it will always be crippled by the absence of Rare games, ie all the best games on the system.

• Locked thread