Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs

I think Mark Brown explains pretty well why the music in BOTW is great and works well for an open-world game. Agree that the battle music is a bit meh though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm glad ya'll aren't in charge of sound design because the usage of music in BotW and Dark Souls is masterfully done and having an overworld theme blaring at all times would completely ruin those games.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The usage of it is fine but what was there was either not memorable or could be improved. As said battle music was just bad, kind of a Nick Jr. version of the Ravenous soundtrack. Town music was forgettable. The best use of music was the gentle piano that would guide you to new locations and only because it was so frequently heard.

Look I love BOTW but not everything about it is great. That’s also fine and allowable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why do I have to eat every day? Can’t I just eat 20 pizzas at the beginning of the week and be done with it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pollyanna posted:

Why do I have to eat every day? Can’t I just eat 20 pizzas at the beginning of the week and be done with it?

Is this like drinking 8 5-Hour Energies for 40 consecutive hours of energy*

*please do not

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What pisses me off about Mario Odyssey is that while you go to all these kingdoms, you somehow never visit the Sarasaland kingdom.

Also where the gently caress is Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Birdo, Boo[s], Daisy, E.Gadd, Goku, Piantas

So many cool characters and they decided to use Captain Toad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Yeah I'm glad ya'll aren't in charge of sound design because the usage of music in BotW and Dark Souls is masterfully done and having an overworld theme blaring at all times would completely ruin those games.

going back to play Link to the Past and can confirm hearing that theme constantly except for Kakariko is fatiguing.

I had a thought that maybe the mysterious developer behind Prime 4 is id Software. Bethesda X Nintendo working on an FPS Metroid would be some cool poo poo.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Isn't cappy a boo wearing a hat?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Your Computer posted:

Plenty of games with big worlds do just fine with having good/strong overworld themes for years. You're free to disagree with other musical stylings, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like Botw and Dark Souls are the only good RPGs that did music right in gaming history, even when it comes to long explorative worlds.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The usage of it is fine but what was there was either not memorable or could be improved. As said battle music was just bad, kind of a Nick Jr. version of the Ravenous soundtrack. Town music was forgettable.

The battle music is extremely well done, but I can understand why it's repetitive nature can turn off people. You're nuts though if you think the Town themes aren't great and beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFuejFzgTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgKbyhdPwkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzhOoIKEeY

I get chills when I go around Zora's Domain at night even months after the game came out, I love it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dizz posted:

What pisses me off about Mario Odyssey is that while you go to all these kingdoms, you somehow never visit the Sarasaland kingdom.

Also where the gently caress is Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Birdo, Boo[s], Daisy, E.Gadd, Goku, Piantas

After Sunshine, main title Mario games seem kind of keen to avoid featuring too many side characters (look at what happened to Sonic, after all). Most games feature Mario, Peach, Bowser and maybe Bowser Jr. Luigi isn't in M64, and his presence in the Galaxy games is probably the most screen time he has shared with his brother in the 3-D adventures.

also captain toad is cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

What the gently caress

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dizz posted:

Mods???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dizz posted:

kind of a lame spoiler if true, I was looking forward to at least like, Luigi or someone to be in the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they make Captain Toad 2 for the switch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Plenty of games with big worlds do just fine with having good/strong overworld themes for years. You're free to disagree with other musical stylings, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like Botw and Dark Souls are the only good RPGs that did music right in gaming history, even when it comes to long explorative worlds.

Not at all, my entire point is that those specific games are doing their thing perfectly and changing it in those games would be for the worse. I didn't mean overworld themes in general, or anything else about the music in those or other games, just the sound design v:shobon:v

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

I hope they make Captain Toad 2 for the switch

Captain Toad Odyssey would rule

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaewan posted:

Isn't cappy a boo wearing a hat?
According to the brochure stuff attached to the in-game map, Cappy and his fellow hat-ghost dudes are Bonneters.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I loved BotW. In a lot of open world games I find myself going from map icon to map icon, but BotW really nailed that sense of 'organic' exploration for me.
It's definitely more revolutionary than Odyssey, but it had to be, I know some people miss the old dungeon structure but if it was just another straight-up Zelda sequel I don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much.
The shrines were really fun to find and although a lot of them are quite short, there's loads of them and they're all pretty fun (apart from a few too many strength test shrines). I didn't care too much for the weapon degradation or the cooking but I'm glad Nintendo is trying new ideas with the franchise.

Mario is already pretty much perfect and all I really want from it is more levels :)

However if anything I'd say the concept of bosses in both games are a bit of a crutch and largely unnecessary, they're there to give you something to do at the end of a stage but they are the least memorable & weakest parts of either game. In a post-Soulsbourne world, BotW & Odyssey bosses are really meh.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

kind of a lame spoiler if true, I was looking forward to at least like, Luigi or someone to be in the game.

He's the final boss, you just don't get to meet or talk to him, just kill.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

also captain toad is cool

Regy Rusty posted:

What the gently caress

My argument isn't that Captain Toad is bad, but I feel like using him as a power moon source for each kingdom was dumb. They could have easily just thrown in all the other characters to appear and give Mario the moon.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You like exploration and that’s fine but I’d bet money that the prevailing majority attitude is that more bosses and more diverse fights is better than not, even if they aren’t dark souls quality fights

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the bosses in SMO, they're easy but a fun spectacle. Y'know like I used to like in Zelda.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I love that you find Captain Toad chillin' in Bowser's Kingdom.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'll not tolerate any more crass words against our brave explorer boy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Overall the BOTW music is good, but the battle music is annoying because everything else is so low-key, the battle theme is really the only music that you really are aware of.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

My argument isn't that Captain Toad is bad, but I feel like using him as a power moon source for each kingdom was dumb. They could have easily just thrown in all the other characters to appear and give Mario the moon.

The whole concept behind the Captain is that he's an explorer and gets himself into completely unexplained spots and predicaments. Every time I found him was a moment of joy and sometimes astonishment. And even the moon titles are like "Good job, Captain Toad!" Everyone is proud of him and wants him to do his best.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wildtortilla posted:

This. It's very annoying when games don't have much music. It was especially evident in BOTW when you get to the castle and that incredible music kicks in and gets better the farther in you make it. Why couldn't we have been enjoying some excellent music this entire time while wondering around the world?

The only game lacking music that I don't notice it is Dark Souls. When I think about it I get annoyed because the music that does exist in those games is good. Why not always have good music going?

Speaking of music I've been jamming to various Mario soundtracks this week while I try to convince myself I should finish Witcher 3 and wait for a holiday sale on the Switch before buying one. Good video game music is one of the biggest driving factors of what games I play!

The usual 1:24 pieces of repeating melody doesn't work anywhere as well in an open world game, they actually did it really, really well

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Waluigi’s entire character is that he’s a never-was who exists in the shadow of a second banana. Putting him in a main series title outside of a cameo or reference defeats the entire point of him.

Wario is his own character at this point and Nintendo has better things they could be doing with him than having him be a supporting player/collectible mill in a Mario game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

The whole concept behind the Captain is that he's an explorer and gets himself into completely unexplained spots and predicaments. Every time I found him was a moment of joy and sometimes astonishment. And even the moon titles are like "Good job, Captain Toad!" Everyone is proud of him and wants him to do his best.

And to be fair, he deserves that good job given where you find him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Blowing my mind that people are saying Mario 64 didn't age well. I've played that game like 6+ times and every time is as good as the last. The only issue are an occasionally annoying camera and I guess the graphics? But I don't even want to say that because the aesthetic of 64 is great.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Well maybe he should explore wherever the gently caress all the other notable Mario characters went :colbert:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I love that you can get the low-poly, low-res Mario 64 outfit in Odyssey.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Blowing my mind that people are saying Mario 64 didn't age well. I've played that game like 6+ times and every time is as good as the last. The only issue are an occasionally annoying camera and I guess the graphics? But I don't even want to say that because the aesthetic of 64 is great.

It has aged; it remains a landmark title and an achievement for 3-D gaming and I'd argue that it remains incredibly well done despite being as old as it is. Simply put, though, later games have done what it does with more polish and cleaned up its rough edges. Plus that camera is REALLY loving obnoxious. It's a very challenging game as well, particularly any moving platform sequences.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ventana posted:

The battle music is extremely well done, but I can understand why it's repetitive nature can turn off people. You're nuts though if you think the Town themes aren't great and beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFuejFzgTs

I get chills when I go around Zora's Domain at night even months after the game came out, I love it.

The rito village theme is a marvel, with that long, long sweeping introduction :allears:

I think the sparse scoring does wonders for that feeling of weightlessness and openness and freedom in the overworld, it just works so well with the overall feeling of the game

I'm sure they could've managed to cram in more melodic stuff and everyone would have been happy, but I really respect the vision they had with the scoring. It's not like there's no music there -- there are lots of non-repeating and ambient stuff in the background that you don't remember

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

PantsBandit posted:

I won't have you insulting Lakitu :colbert:

He does the job as best he can :3:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

Waluigi’s entire character is that he’s a never-was who exists in the shadow of a second banana. Putting him in a main series title outside of a cameo or reference defeats the entire point of him.

Wario is his own character at this point and Nintendo has better things they could be doing with him than having him be a supporting player/collectible mill in a Mario game.

Good. All wario games are better than mario games

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It has aged; it remains a landmark title and an achievement for 3-D gaming and I'd argue that it remains incredibly well done despite being as old as it is. Simply put, though, later games have done what it does with more polish and cleaned up its rough edges. Plus that camera is REALLY loving obnoxious. It's a very challenging game as well, particularly any moving platform sequences.

Literally every game ever gets replaced by games with "more polish" so that's a lame way to determine if something has aged well. The camera isn't great but most of the games levels are open enough that you don't even notice it. There are also things no Mario game since has done as well, I don't think Peach's castle has been topped as a hub world for example.

In my mind, 64 is the exact definition of a game that HAS aged well. It remains fun and worth playing, even amongst more modern counterparts.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This video about the music in BoTW is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hell I'd play Mario 64 any day of the week. not many n64 games I can say that about besides maybe Mischief Makers, Star Fox 64, or Ogre Battle 64. It helps that it's one of the few N64 games that didn't have like 10fps.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The evolution of the Tarrey Town theme as you progress through the quest is one of my favorite details in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tell me how to enjoy Ogre Battle 64

I can't get over losing units and I'm terrible at spatial awareness. Love tactics Ogre, but Ogre Battle just never clicked with me.

• Locked thread