Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Policenaut posted:

So I thought this was kind of interesting. Fans datamined Xenoblade 2 and discovered that the Rare Blade drop rates, for some characters, are worse than some major Gacha games.

IMO it almost feels like Nintendo was angling to do a legitimate Gacha for the game (because good lord have you seen how much Fire Emblem Heroes makes?) but I dunno maybe they backed out at the last minute after the various Gacha/Lootbox controversies late last year? A 0.1% likelihood of pulling a specific character in a single player RPG? Get outta here with that, Monolith Soft.

:lol: KOS-MOS is a 0.1% drop rate. gently caress you Monolith.

If Xenoblade's gacha poo poo actually cost money I wouldn't have touched the game and this info would have ensured I never gave it a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just got Puyo Tetris and holy crap am I terrible at adventure mode. Tetris against puyo with items that make Tetris drops instant for ten seconds, while the items you send the CPU basically give them unlimited chains, or spotlights that don’t impact the CPU at all? Sure.

Do you eventually play fusion in adventure? Because that mode looks fun. If complicated.

I'm sure you do eventually, there are dozens of levels there. I'm at the point where I'm getting a bunch of frustrating Puyo levels in which the computer sets up a 6x combo every 30 seconds while I struggle to make a 3x go at all and I'm about to just gently caress off the adventure mode entirely because of it.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I feel like Xenoblade 2's gatcha is there for a similar reason why Dragon Quest has gambling: to satiate an addiction without going into debt. The key difference is that gambling in Dragon Quest is optional.

I'm only about halfway through Xenoblade 2 and while I'm mostly into it, I think the only good thing about the gatcha is sharing with friends and having slightly different experiences, and that's flimsy at best. Everything else just kind of gets in the way.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I never play undocked, but I do bring it to work (work in a pediatric burn center) and disinfect it with bleach wipes and let the kids play some mario kart or snipperclips. Trying to convince the hospital to buy a few Switch Starlight carts with how popular they are.

Ty for doing an awesome and incredibly cool thing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/iodoom3/status/...900746674356224

wonder if it has gyro too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Doom 3 actually any good? I remember nothing but disappointment when it came out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Doom 3 actually any good? I remember nothing but disappointment when it came out.

no

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just got Puyo Tetris and holy crap am I terrible at adventure mode. Tetris against puyo with items that make Tetris drops instant for ten seconds, while the items you send the CPU basically give them unlimited chains, or spotlights that don’t impact the CPU at all? Sure.

Do you eventually play fusion in adventure? Because that mode looks fun. If complicated.

Yes and it's loving brutal. I tried like five times and could not set up any good combos to save my life. The Puyo AI is way harder than the Tetris AI, or just like, Tetris is such an easier game or something? Like I can easily get three stars in any mission where I play Tetris but Puyo is always such a struggle. I'm lucky if I can get a single 4-chain. And the tutorial doesn't help because it doesn't really explain how you're supposed to set up combos so quickly.

What I'm saying is I really suck at Puyo.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Yes and it's loving brutal. I tried like five times and could not set up any good combos to save my life. The Puyo AI is way harder than the Tetris AI, or just like, Tetris is such an easier game or something? Like I can easily get three stars in any mission where I play Tetris but Puyo is always such a struggle. I'm lucky if I can get a single 4-chain. And the tutorial doesn't help because it doesn't really explain how you're supposed to set up combos so quickly.

What I'm saying is I really suck at Puyo.

Look up a video on making chains. Tetris is easier (or, we're more familiar with it), but a huge Puyo chain can drop way more than 4 lines of garbage on the other player's field

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Puyo requires a bit of study to know how to build but once you get it its a snap to do big chains.

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: KOS-MOS is a 0.1% drop rate. gently caress you Monolith.

If Xenoblade's gacha poo poo actually cost money I wouldn't have touched the game and this info would have ensured I never gave it a second thought.

Oh cool i managed to get her right before the final boss. Glad im mr luck

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Its a halflife wannabe made chiefly on the hope its lighting was so amazing that id's engine would get picked up and overtake unreal....it didnt happen and the company was sold

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I saw a 45 minute long video once arguing that Doom 3 did a lot of really amazing gameplay things for its time, only they were unrelated to being Doom.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Technically its a marvel. Gameplay its monster closets in dark halls

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Doom 3 is a pretty alright game, it just doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the series

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I got Has Been Heroes for free basically because I had like $15 in store credit still.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Doom 3 is dark.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Doom 3 is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. It's not that great, but like a good B-movie there is still something about it that is just satisfying.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turkey puncher got you hooked

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Doom 3 with the flashlight mod was a lot more tolerable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just put the brightness up when ever it got dark

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Puyo requires a bit of study to know how to build but once you get it its a snap to do big chains.

Yeah everyone says that and I've been reading and trying for the last several months but I think I'm just not getting how Puyo works. When I can just not touch the controls and do better than when I try it's just hosed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The trick to playing Puyo is to play Tetris instead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Midjack posted:

Yeah everyone says that and I've been reading and trying for the last several months but I think I'm just not getting how Puyo works. When I can just not touch the controls and do better than when I try it's just hosed.

No no, go to youtube and watch players with slow motion on and copy the patterns they make when you play

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

Doom 3 with the flashlight mod was a lot more tolerable.

The BFG edition essentially incorporates the flashlight mod; it’s now “armor-mounted” so it’s on at all times. Of course, this has led to a bunch of people complaining about how it’s not the same as the original.

I’d buy the BFG edition if it came to Switch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How about a switch id pack with doom 1/2/3 quake 1/2/3 and wolf and sod

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Catacomb series were better than Wolf.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

When are they porting Commander Keen to the Switch

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

repiv posted:

I'd so play this.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

repiv posted:

Only if I can buy it by mailing a check. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

As long as they release all of them so I can play Keen Dreams.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

How about a switch id pack with doom 1/2/3 quake 1/2/3 and wolf and sod

I’d buy this. Throw in Return to Castle Wolfenstein though.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Re: Doom 3 chat. What are the goon feels for the Doom game actually on the Switch?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I want Chrono Trigger and FF6 on this thing already.

Come on tendo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Sean posted:

Re: Doom 3 chat. What are the goon feels for the Doom game actually on the Switch?

It’s an good port of the game considering the hardware and it’s recently been made much better due to gyro aiming being included in a patch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rolo posted:

Man I want Chrono Trigger and FF6 on this thing already.

Come on tendo.

I would even get the ugly version of FF6. I'm not proud of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

I would even get the ugly version of FF6. I'm not proud of it.

GBA version with SNES music or get out.

The mobile port garbage FF6 version can gently caress right off forever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

thexerox123 posted:

As long as they release all of them so I can play Keen Dreams.

When I was like 7 years old and really into Commander Keen my dad told me, on April Fools day, that he bought me a Commander Keen game about vegetables coming to life and eating people. I had never heard of it and thought he was playing a mean prank on me but no, it was real :unsmith: and it wasn't a very good game

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Sean posted:

I went and bought it as soon ad the gyro update was out- the only reason I didn't buy it at release was due to the lack of gyro aiming.
I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I thought 30fps would bother me but it's really not an issue and the motion blur helps too. I've only noticed a few framerate drops during the most hectic fights so far and it's barely worth mentioning.
I've been playing it on handheld at work a bit too, being able to play this game on a portable feels like actual witchcraft

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Doom is pretty rad. I like the combat, I really like replaying levels to find poo poo, and the weapon and armor unlocks are neat. I do wish the gyro aiming was tweaked a bit, but it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the motion control implementation in Doom isn’t perfect. It’s always on (it has to be, since there’s no “aim” button you have to push before firing) and about 50% of the time the camera will be pointing at the floor or ceiling after a respwan. It’s easy enough to fix (just click the left stick to recenter the gyro) but caught me off guard the first time it happened.

My experience with Switch Doom vs PC Doom is a little skewed—my gaming PC is a couple years out of date and I usually play through a Steam Link at 720p. So the Switch version docked doesn’t actually look a whole lot worse than the PC version did for me. The text isn’t nearly as sharp as I would have liked it to be, though.

Where it really shines (and this is true of almost every Switch game) is in handheld mode. I couldn’t believe it looked or played as well as it does, and it’d reckon the Switch version is worth it just for that.

Non-Doom: I‘ve been playing Peace Walker on my Vita and got angry (again) that MGS V will likely never see a Switch port. The missions being broken up into parts is so perfect for a portable console and I have no doubt that the Fox engine would ruin beautifully on the Switch’s hardware.

• Locked thread