Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

Hackers already "get ROMs." Save backups, sure. Voice chat? Okay, yeah, they're gonna put Discord on the Switch, I guess?

I don't understand this mindset of "lol it's Nintendo, I'm gonna do whatever I want to gently caress over other people, because it's Nintendo lololol, they're so bad and I deserve to play all of their games for free." Like, gently caress off with that poo poo. I pay money to play video games in expected environments, and even if a company drops the ball on any level of security, you know that hackers/cheaters are going to fight tooth and nail to achieve a back door, no matter what, so maybe, JUST MAYBE, the blame should mostly go towards people who do not give a poo poo about the playing environment of people who paid to be there.

So mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I mean he's not wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THE loving MOON posted:

Edit: actually idgaf if people play online with modded systems, i just dont want them using it to cheat.

Sure, true, but if the choices are Ban all modded systems or wait until people get caught/reported cheating enough times then I still choose the former.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Leal posted:

I mean he's not wrong

Anger is never right

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It might be an unfixable hack but it's almost definitely not an undetectable hack

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even though I'm a huge system mod supporter, I also support banning every single one from any online service.

If you're going to mod your system to steal games, that's fine. Just do it offline.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Takoluka posted:

Hackers already "get ROMs." Save backups, sure. Voice chat? Okay, yeah, they're gonna put Discord on the Switch, I guess?

I don't understand this mindset of "lol it's Nintendo, I'm gonna do whatever I want to gently caress over other people, because it's Nintendo lololol, they're so bad and I deserve to play all of their games for free." Like, gently caress off with that poo poo. I pay money to play video games in expected environments, and even if a company drops the ball on any level of security, you know that hackers/cheaters are going to fight tooth and nail to achieve a back door, no matter what, so maybe, JUST MAYBE, the blame should mostly go towards people who do not give a poo poo about the playing environment of people who paid to be there.

Ultimately yeah its Nintendo's job to work out their own security and if they blow it big time, which it looks like they did, then yes you want to address your complaints to them. The reason people have this mindset is because Nintendo has been nickle and dimeing them on old games since forever and they're past the point of caring. Nintendo is a big boy, they don't need defending from the mean ol trolls.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Anyone ever play Phantasy Star Online on things like the dreamcast? People would just hack in whatever they wanted on their character including if I remember correctly items that would do things like delete your character if you picked them up

I remember this and I'm still bitter about it :mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Diverting from one slapfight to another, here's a date for a port of a game that's apparently kind of meh. (The game, not the port. That part'll probably be pretty good.)

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/988779646060769283

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LMAO

Nintendo: *charges money for product or service*

GOON: I'm being hosed over again!

Nintendo: *doesn't offer [thing]*

GOON: I deserve [thing]! :mad: Nintendo is loving me again!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Anger is never right

Let the anger flow through you

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Ultimately yeah its Nintendo's job to work out their own security and if they blow it big time, which it looks like they did, then yes you want to address your complaints to them. The reason people have this mindset is because Nintendo has been nickle and dimeing them on old games since forever and they're past the point of caring. Nintendo is a big boy, they don't need defending from the mean ol trolls.

“nickle and dimeing”. yes, nintendo is bad because they charge money for old games

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's Panic Button doing the port and they've gotten pretty good at Switch ports by now between Doom and Rocket League.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Willias posted:

“nickle and dimeing”. yes, nintendo is bad because they charge money for old games

I mean I don't know how else to describe having you pay $1 to play your wii vc game in the wii u vc.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Kins posted:

Diverting from one slapfight to another, here's a date for a port of a game that's apparently kind of meh. (The game, not the port. That part'll probably be pretty good.)

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/988779646060769283

It was ok. It's too bad Titanfall 2 will probably never come to the Switch because it has probably the best FPS campaign in years (Doom is pretty good too though)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean I don't know how else to describe having you pay $1 to play your wii vc game in the wii u vc.

"Optional" would be 100% accurate

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Manky posted:

"Optional" would be 100% accurate

Yeah it would also be 100% accurate of video games as a whole too whats your point?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah it would also be 100% accurate of video games as a whole too whats your point?

That you could just boot into Wii mode. All vc and wiiware stuff transferred over free. So those charges weren't mandatory. Make sense?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I hope DOOM 2 get a simultanious switch launch, Ive been spoiled by gyro controls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wouldn't even object to being banned from online play for having a homebrewed machine. It's not like I'm going to play anything online on the Switch.

Getting banned from the eshop would be a bummer though since that would force me to either get physical games or pirate them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

I wouldn't even object to being banned from online play for having a homebrewed machine. It's not like I'm going to play anything online on the Switch.

Getting banned from the eshop would be a bummer though since that would force me to either get physical games or pirate them.

Zelda the MMO might change your mind.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Nickle and dimeing is a phrase that refers to someone charging you multiple small times, usually in a bullshit way, to get a product or service you want.

Charging $1 to play Mario Bros on your newest Nintendo whatever does not constitute being “nickle and dimed”. That’s you spending a dollar to get a cheap product. Nintendo isn’t forcing you to spend that money, nor do they require you to spend that money to continue playing Mario Bros. on the previous Nintendo whatever you previously bought it on.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm loving all the weird stuff people are doing with Labo.
https://twitter.com/LeavingLuck/status/987695459601805312
https://twitter.com/hitokage22/status/987698513625530368
https://twitter.com/skg_ty/status/987697836157366272
https://twitter.com/NintendoFaaan/status/987815906112815104

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Manky posted:

That you could just boot into Wii mode. All vc and wiiware stuff transferred over free. So those charges weren't mandatory. Make sense?

The transfer from wii vc to wii u vc should have been free and automatic, but instead they built in a fee just because they could. That's nickle and dimeing (diming?).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willias posted:

Nickle and dimeing is a phrase that refers to someone charging you multiple small times, usually in a bullshit way, to get a product or service you want.

Charging $1 to play Mario Bros on your newest Nintendo whatever does not constitute being “nickle and dimed”. That’s you spending a dollar to get a cheap product. Nintendo isn’t forcing you to spend that money, nor do they require you to spend that money to continue playing Mario Bros. on the previous Nintendo whatever you previously bought it on.

It's more that you're spending money to fund the work done to port it to the new system :ms:.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
drat some of you guys are getting really mad about this stuff. you could just... not do it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

The 3DS bans locked you out of everything online except the eshop. They're not dumb enough to refuse your money.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MMF Freeway posted:

The transfer from wii vc to wii u vc should have been free and automatic, but instead they built in a fee just because they could. That's nickle and dimeing (diming?).

Or they shouldn't have allowed it at all and just charged you full price for the game, again.

Just because many other providers are cool about digital ownership, doesn't mean Nintendo has to. Nintendo are a 19th century company that is stingy as gently caress. They don't like to discount things. They don't like to give things away for free. Being able to transfer your license from one system to another for a dollar is one of the best deals they have ever offered.

And yes, I agree. It's pathetic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

The 3DS bans locked you out of everything online except the eshop. They're not dumb enough to refuse your money.

And a ton of 3DSes didn't even get banned. Mine certainly never did.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

The transfer from wii vc to wii u vc should have been free and automatic

Lol ok, sorry the free way they let you transfer and keep playing your purchases didn't offer ENOUGH free support years after you paid your six bucks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like the way Nintendo does a lot of things (other than make games because they are the best at that)

I think Nintendo is leaving money on the table with some "missing" features like VC

Nintendo is not doing anything wrong.

It is funny that some complaints are that Nintendo doesn't give you enough features so they're bad and some complaints are that they DO give you a feature but it isn't loving free, so they're bad.

I want more too, and I'll be happy to give Nintendo feedback to this effect but Ninty gonna Ninty

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

It's worth pointing out that if you paid the $1 to port your Wii VC game to the WiiU, you also gained save states.

edited for clarity.

Mogki fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 24, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I don't like the way Nintendo does a lot of things (other than make games because they are the best at that)

I think Nintendo is leaving money on the table with some "missing" features like VC

Nintendo is not doing anything wrong.

It is funny that some complaints are that Nintendo doesn't give you enough features so they're bad and some complaints are that they DO give you a feature but it isn't loving free, so they're bad.

I want more too, and I'll be happy to give Nintendo feedback to this effect but Ninty gonna Ninty

They're not doing anything wrong by not having VC but at the same time I'm still going emulate those games myself if they aren't willing to let me buy them

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Andrast posted:

And a ton of 3DSes didn't even get banned. Mine certainly never did.

Mine got banned but it is also relatively simple to get yourself unbanned. 3DS security is fuuucked.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was considering going out and buying a Switch before hardware revisions start hitting the shelves, but I realized I don't really care about using a Switch for homebrew right now. I've got enough devices that can already do all that poo poo.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I wrote off Labo as over-priced cardboard because all they ever show you is that piano and the vibrating joy-con rc car thing. I had no idea the software let you make your own stuff. I'm way more interested than I was before.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pretty sure they showed off months ago that you can make your own stuff with it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there anything besides SNES/GBA/Genesis games that would even run well on a Switch after it goes through this bizarre hardware hack? I can't imagine how things like the godawful N64 emulator or even beyond would work out on it. Literally all my virtual console wishes boil down to snes/gba poo poo like the WiiU had, and hey maybe some poo poo like Ogre Battle 64.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MMF Freeway posted:

The security is Nvidia's fault though, it's their hardware. I believe people in the hacking scene tried to let Nvidia know about this but they didn't do poo poo.

Then again, its also Nintendo's fault for going with hardware that was known to have security flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

is there anything besides SNES/GBA/Genesis games that would even run well on a Switch after it goes through this bizarre hardware hack? I can't imagine how things like the godawful N64 emulator or even beyond would work out on it. Literally all my virtual console wishes boil down to snes/gba poo poo like the WiiU had, and hey maybe some poo poo like Ogre Battle 64.

Nintendo officially released Wii games for the Nvidia Shield tablet in China and it's pretty much the same hardware so it can definitely run newer stuff. N64 is notoriously hard to emulate even on PC so who knows about that

• Locked thread