Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

DLC Inc posted:

is there anything besides SNES/GBA/Genesis games that would even run well on a Switch after it goes through this bizarre hardware hack? I can't imagine how things like the godawful N64 emulator or even beyond would work out on it. Literally all my virtual console wishes boil down to snes/gba poo poo like the WiiU had, and hey maybe some poo poo like Ogre Battle 64.

It’s effectively an Nvidia Shield, so it can run a lot. They have footage of Dolphin running Wind Waker on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Why the gently caress does the Labo Variety Pack have lore

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

Pretty sure they showed off months ago that you can make your own stuff with it.

Lots of people stopped paying attention immediately so they could smugly lol about CARDBOARD

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Argue posted:

Why the gently caress does the Labo Variety Pack have lore

Labo has more lore than BoTW

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone test what different materials would work with the ir camera? The discover mode says you could use reflective tape, I wonder if something like just a shiny ribbon would do the job well enough to lay down track. Or if you standard duct tape is reflective enough

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You need tape that specifically reflects light back the way it came.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DoctorWhat posted:

You need tape that specifically reflects light back the way it came.

Yeah Discover mode will explicitly tell you you can't just use anything shiny, and give you a helpful illustration of what works. It also tells you to experiment with different kinds of tape though, so go hog wild :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about a string of Christmas lights

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I don't think so, Al

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Technical preview of DKC Tropical Freeze

To summarize:
  • Portable is a hair under 720p and basically the same visually as the Wii U version
  • Docked is full 1080p with minor visual tweaks
  • Smooth 60fps in both modes
  • Load times are way quicker than on Wii U
  • eShop version filesize is 6.6gb

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
All I want to know about Labo is did Bill Nye have fun playing with it?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Not Operator posted:

All I want to know about Labo is did Bill Nye have fun playing with it?

You know, it’s shame. Nintendo paid him big money to hype up their new product and he just went on camera and shat all over it. And then they uploaded the video anyway! I don’t get it, man.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wendell posted:

You know, it’s shame. Nintendo paid him big money to hype up their new product and he just went on camera and shat all over it. And then they uploaded the video anyway! I don’t get it, man.

I must have seen a different video than you. It was typical loony Nye but he seemed to genuinely be enjoying himself

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

The Bloop posted:

I must have seen a different video than you. It was typical loony Nye but he seemed to genuinely be enjoying himself

He's making fun of me for asking a question that could literally only have had one answer.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shampy posted:

drat some of you guys are getting really mad about this stuff. you could just... not do it

Nerds seriously do not understand this. This isn't a thread/subforum/forum thing either. They act like an option exists THEREFOR I must do it and since I have to plainly do a thing I'm going to complain about it because I'm a big stupid idiot.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If anyone buys a physical copy of donkey king, beats if and gets bored, I will buy for 40.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

The security is Nvidia's fault though, it's their hardware. I believe people in the hacking scene tried to let Nvidia know about this but they didn't do poo poo.
That's not true. The now-known vulnerabilities in the Tegra X1 platform were not known prior to the Switch launch. The general class of vulnerability was known and Nvidia should have been able to been able to catch the issues in their own audit.

When hardware hackers (Kate Temkin and fail0verflow) discovered this specific vulnerability they both went through a responsible disclosure process. It's not yet clear what Nvidia is doing in response, but it's known that one Tegra X2 board (T816) is not vulnerable and it's speculated that another (T214) is also fixed which Nintendo will soon ship in new Switch units.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Then again, its also Nintendo's fault for going with hardware that was known to have security flaws.
At worst I think the only thing Nintendo could be blamed for is not recruiting white-hat hardware hackers to play with prototype Switch hardware to find these issues before production. The vulnerability is squarely on Nvidia's shoulders, but Nintendo had to know that shipping Tegra hardware in a console would bring many fresh eyes onto a hardware platform that hadn't been thoroughly investigated previously.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Infinitum posted:

3DS Homebrew is an absolute mess of "Must have this version to be able to sideload from a Ocarina 3D save exploit, and it must be the 3rd moon of the lunar cycle"
Switch is like "Hey man, got a paperclip? Let me show you a thang"

No it isnt

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If anyone buys a physical copy of donkey king, beats if and gets bored, I will buy for 40.

And I will buy it for 20 after you’re done with it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'mg lad the digital size of Tropical Freeze is so small, which means I can download it and not worry about file size. I never want the game to be taken out anyway so this is great.

Also, incoming ArcSys game: CLASSIC GG

https://twitter.com/CrocOclock/status/988683079068811264

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats an extremely good and correct gg game to port

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder if Revelator can run decently on Switch

edit: Also they should throw in a couple Guilty Gears for cross tag, Even just Sol and... I dunno Faust maybe would be cool.

edit2: Beetley might be my favorite Star Ally

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 24, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE loving MOON posted:

I wonder if Revelator can run decently on Switch

Its on ps3. This port is about bringing back a fan favorite though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats an extremely good and correct gg game to port

Even better news, according to Siliconera: "Switch version will also include the original tracks that were in the Korean version of Guilty Gear XX #Reload by the late legendary musician Shin Hae-chul who passed away in 2014."

Some of those Korean version tracks were loving amazing so this is REALLY cool that they are putting them into the Switch version as a tribute.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DLC Inc posted:

Even better news, according to Siliconera: "Switch version will also include the original tracks that were in the Korean version of Guilty Gear XX #Reload by the late legendary musician Shin Hae-chul who passed away in 2014."

Some of those Korean version tracks were loving amazing so this is REALLY cool that they are putting them into the Switch version as a tribute.

OH poo poo YES GONNA ROCK THAT N.EX.T SOUNDTRACK FOREVER

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No, it was.

It took a long long long time to get it to the stage where it is now.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cool, I didn't realize they had released a translation of Marvelous. Nintendo Power teased me about that game over 20 years ago.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gimme some o that music

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reality Loser posted:

Cool, I didn't realize they had released a translation of Marvelous. Nintendo Power teased me about that game over 20 years ago.

Yeah some dude did a rough translation in 2015 and another dude localized it and hacked the graphics to make sense in English in 2016. Great game, I think the first one Aonuma was on.

The end credits are glitched, but you've seen the whole story by then

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

with W101 probably going to get a port eventually, who is left to petition about Tokyo Mirage Sessions, because that's the closest we'll get to Persona on Switch and it really deserves the second shot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Gimme some o that music

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DLC Inc posted:

with W101 probably going to get a port eventually, who is left to petition about Tokyo Mirage Sessions, because that's the closest we'll get to Persona on Switch and it really deserves the second shot

psa: fatal frame 5 was also very good and on the wii u, please do not forget fatal frame 5

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I love Fatal Frame but 5 kinda sucked, imo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I wish the games I wanted had more release dates. Hollow Knight, Wargroove, Lumines, Capt Toad, and Okami are killing me with the suspense.

I'm glad Mario Tennis has a date, at least I have that to look forward to.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinitum posted:

3DS Homebrew is an absolute mess of "Must have this version to be able to sideload from a Ocarina 3D save exploit, and it must be the 3rd moon of the lunar cycle"
Switch is like "Hey man, got a paperclip? Let me show you a thang"

That's just keeping with tradition. Are you famililar with the Old 3DS?

Granted, that took years to discover.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How are ps4 and xbone homebrew doing?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinitum posted:

No, it was.

That's not what you said. lol

Reality Loser posted:

Is this even a thing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reality Loser posted:

nobody cares, they're x86/x64 machines with no unique hardware of value. nobody wants to run homebrew when PC games exist.

Apart from the Cell Architecture on PS3, non-Nintendo homebrew hasn't been a significant thing for decades.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'll probably ditch the next Odyssey DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speakin of DLC

Did you see the totally-legit-because-it's-at-an-angle-and-snapped-off-a-monitor-in-a-dark-room leak?

Chronicels

• Locked thread