Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I used to love this game :smith:

Also who on earth thought it was a good idea to include so many guaranteed* damage rooms. A small room with 9 fatties on the second floor? Really?? I guess Edmund thought the game was too fair, because it looks like the bullshit has been ramped up a thousandfold.

This is a problem i have with Isaac as well, tho I am a new player. I'm ok with having to "git gud" but when there are rooms that are near impossible to avoid taking damage or dying it is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

It is like someone released an HD version of an N64 game with exactly those design philosophies intact. They did a bunch of work to improve it from launch but its still exactly that at its heart even if now the camera isnt also the worst thing in existence.

I found it super boring and frustrating to play, but I also played the launch version and some complaints were addressed since then. Others like the incessant quiz bullshit remain

Oh yeah it's worth mentioning that I didn't play it at launch, I waited until the camera was fixed. I've seen how the camera used to work and it was bad, like bad bad. Keep in mind that a lot of the early reviews and reactions had to deal with that, which inevitably dragged the game down a lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can not stress enough how bad the launch camera for Yooka-Laylee was and any review of that game giving it north of 5/10 at launch was unfairly generous.

They didnt fix the final boss either but the camera destroyed my will to play it or really any other 3rd person game somewhere around world 2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Try, or at least read about the Afterbirth+ challenge Aprils Fool, to get your fill of McMillen for life.
:geno:

Kvlt! posted:

This is a problem i have with Isaac as well, tho I am a new player. I'm ok with having to "git gud" but when there are rooms that are near impossible to avoid taking damage or dying it is frustrating.
I spent probably close to a thousand hours on the original flash game and Rebirth so I can tell you for certain that it has little to do with having to "git gud" and all to do with the design philosophy apparently being "it's more fun if it's random". It's a drat shame too, like I said I always loved BoI. I should've seen this coming because from the start BoI was very close to being fair (in other words, skill-based, a good enough player can go through the game unharmed) but with just about every patch they introduced more unfairness and RNG-reliability instead of fixing the stuff that could've made it a truly great game. It looks like they really cranked this up in Afterbirth (Afterbirth+?) :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Not Operator posted:

They added spawning portals and some items that are a lot like older times but not as good, and a worse version of greed mode and a boss that makes Hush feel fun.

But they made sacrifice rooms better so maybe it evens out.

I'm exaggerating, but I do hate portals, and having beaten each of them once, i can't see myself ever fighting Delerium or Ultra Greed again.

You don't even see that stuff when you start a new game in the Switch version for a long time though . It integrates all the DLC stuff into unlocks via the game instead of just unlocking it all at once like it would if you bought the DLC on PC. Not sure what someone's beef could be starting a new savefile honestly

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
^^edit: I know I'm moaning but I still like it a lot to be clear.

It's not really gonna help you on Switch, but there's really big expansion mod for Rebirth called Antibirth that everyone I know who hated Afterbirth seems to prefer.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 14, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

Ever heard of a little thing called... Steam? :smug:

Microsoft haven't. All their PC ports of XBOne games go in the Windows 10 store while they sit around wondering why nobody buys them.

The only one that got on Steam was Quantum Break, and they managed to slip the leash on their contract to swing that one.

(I know, :thejoke:)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/995831060826030080

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It isn’t. It’s on the Wii U and SNES Classic though.

I love the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series’ but I’d really love an RPG sequel.

Paper Mario literally began development as Super Mario RPG 2 and is probably the closest we're going to get for a while at least

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

Fool me twice...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

akiyba posted:

Fool me twice...

chicken soup with rice

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

chicken soup with rice

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

My sister won one of these in a raffle at a fundraiser the first time around and it's sat unopened in a closet because she hasn't yet wanted to "start all that" with her sons.

Poor kids.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got LA Noire for cheap, it's pretty good, have noticed some annoying lag in scene changes and graphics glitches

It's fun enough to keep playing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geno and Mallow are both dumb and I'd have rather they used more Mario characters. Especially Geno, some random Toad kid's Mary Sue action figure.

Mallow should have been a Toad who thought he was a frog.

Geno should have been Stanley the bug man

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheScott2K posted:

My sister won one of these in a raffle at a fundraiser the first time around and it's sat unopened in a closet because she hasn't yet wanted to "start all that" with her sons.

Poor kids.

She should have sold it when they were going for $500 or whatever insane price before the reprinting announcement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Geno was awesome because he had a move that did 9999 damage to anyone that wasn’t a boss.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Geno and Mallow are both dumb and I'd have rather they used more Mario characters. Especially Geno, some random Toad kid's Mary Sue action figure.

I dunno, I think even if they don't all stick for everyone it's a good thing to let a Mario RPG make some new characters or else you run the risk of getting stuff like Sticker Star, which had good parts but they would have benefited from the creative wiggle room to do that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Only reason I have a snes classic is because I saw one at a shopper’s drug mart while buying toothpaste. I never saw another one anywhere else. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a NES Classic. I want one because I am a hopeless fool

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rolo posted:

Geno was awesome because he had a move that did 9999 damage to anyone that wasn’t a boss.

Exor is vulnerable to Geno Whirl.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Team Put This On The Switch And Make a Proper Sequel You Assholes.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Amazon had the SNES Classic listed as in-stock later this month for MSRP a few days ago so I ordered one.

In 2 weeks I find out if my order went through or not since I highly doubt only a few of us noticed as it went back to only listing resellers by the time I placed the order.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well Wario64 tweeted about it and everything. I just walked into a store and bought one last week for a friend

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the NES/SNES mini the reason why Nintendo aren't doing Virtual Console anymore?

Because if so I hate them. It's 2018! I want to play my old games on a handheld! :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad Virtual Console is dead

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Your Computer posted:

Is the NES/SNES mini the reason why Nintendo aren't doing Virtual Console anymore?

Because if so I hate them. It's 2018! I want to play my old games on a handheld! :(

It just isn't called Virtual Console anymore. There are still old games on the Switch. There's a bunch of Neo Geo games and the NES/SNES games will make it eventually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a certain point where I should do the Master sword trials in Zelda? I'm pretty beefed up at this point. Also how long is it roughly?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a certain point where I should do the Master sword trials in Zelda? I'm pretty beefed up at this point. Also how long is it roughly?

There are three trials, each on the order of ten levels. The first one is the most challenging. Try the first one now and see how it goes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool, thanks!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
My local GameStop is selling one snes classic a week and gets two in about every other week. They're pretty easy to get a hold of at retail price nowadays.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'd never played Isaac before switch but I've been on a bit of a bender lately.

Not Operator posted:

I'm exaggerating, but I do hate portals, and having beaten each of them once, i can't see myself ever fighting Delerium or Ultra Greed again.

I beat Delerium 2 out of my 3 encounters tonight (Void portals were extremely generous; are they guaranteed if you clear fast enough?). This morning was the first time I'd ever encountered Ultra Greedier (you'll love him) and I beat him but oh-just-barely. Been feelin' like a boss.

Your Computer posted:

I guess Edmund thought the game was too fair, because it looks like the bullshit has been ramped up a thousandfold.

I suspect it's been optimized for the experts as opposed to the masses. I'm actually hoping they make it harder without resorting to further limiting items or bosses with more damage reduction, though I don't know that that'd be possible given how wild the end-games get.

Not Operator posted:

Try, or at least read about the Afterbirth+ challenge Aprils Fool, to get your fill of McMillen for life.

I thought I'd never beat all the challenges because of that one, but then I went back to it after unlocking Gold Hearts and now it's just for funsies. You snowball real silly real fast.

Your Computer posted:

I should've seen this coming because from the start BoI was very close to being fair (in other words, skill-based, a good enough player can go through the game unharmed) but with just about every patch they introduced more unfairness and RNG-reliability instead of fixing the stuff that could've made it a truly great game. It looks like they really cranked this up in Afterbirth (Afterbirth+?) :(

What, other than lame item drops, do you feel is unfair about the game?

I still think it's possible to beat any run with what you're given, and sometimes the pickings are extremely thin. Though I'd hate to do Hush with basic tears. But part of the joy of the game is making do with what you're given, and occasionally being given the keys to the kingdom.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

What, other than lame item drops, do you feel is unfair about the game?

I still think it's possible to beat any run with what you're given, and sometimes the pickings are extremely thin. Though I'd hate to do Hush with basic tears. But part of the joy of the game is making do with what you're given, and occasionally being given the keys to the kingdom.

Rooms/enemies/bosses that cause unavoidable damage, for one. There are a lot of rooms in this game now which are simply impossible to not get hit in unless you've already gotten flight and/or some sort of ridiculous damage (which is extremely unlikely when those rooms show up on the first couple of floors). Call it a personal hangup but I think unavoidable damage or other unavoidable negative effects on the player is a cardinal sin of game design. There should always be a way for a skilled enough player to avoid that stuff instead of it being pure RNG.

It's not that I feel like the runs can't be won, I just don't like how it's balanced less by good difficulty (hard encounters requiring skill) and more by bad difficulty (guaranteed damage, RNG bullshit). Like I said I've played the games probably more than any other game (other than the Souls games probably) and it used to be that BoI was more or less always possible to beat with nothing but base Isaac with no upgrades if you played well enough. Items obviously made it easier, but the game was balanced in such a way that you could get very far on skill alone. Now there's so much up to RNG. It's more fast and loose, and I guess that's what they wanted the game to be.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hopped off of isaac once they started introducing bosses that take a fuckton of time no matter how powerful your shots are

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My bro and I never particularly liked Mallow. We benched him at the earliest opportunity, but I will fight you about Geno.

Geno was the coolest poo poo when we were kids. We loved Geno! He was our favorite. Our favorite party was Mario/Geno/Bowser because gently caress healing. Pick Me Ups are cheap!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geno is like if someone's original Dragon Ball character do not steal, but for Mario, got into a Mario game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geno is like if someone's original Dragon Ball character do not steal, but for Mario, got into a Mario game.

yeah, he's great

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was the worst contrarian as a kid so I hated every character that was designed to be cool, including Geno :negative:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the best way to progress in Isaac? I bought it for the first time a week ago and have since cleared normal a few times and spent this weekend playing hard mode. Last night I bumbled my way to Satan but his no-tell laser burst killed me during his second phase.

I like this game but it's also a real drag if the RNG doesn't provide offensive items.

The run that got me to Satan was rich in items. I found a trinket early on that guaranteed two secret rooms per floor and a moment after that I found something that gave me 99 bombs. I had super fast, big tears and lots of familiars, so what ended me was not knowing the Satan fight.

My next two runs didn't yield a single offensive boost to my tears and it those were teeeeedious.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the best way to progress in Isaac?

Just play, basically :shrug: There's a ton of unlockables, like defeating the different parts of the game with all the characters on each difficulty/game mode. Some of it is game-changing like giving the characters starting items or unlocking overpowered items, but others (unless this has been changed) are purely detrimental. Yeah you heard that right, BoI is a game that will get worse as you unlock certain things :v:

If a run is feeling too tedious, don't feel bad about resetting. The game is far more all-or-nothing than it has ever been, it used to be that you could get really far on absolutely nothing but now there are so many bullet sponge enemies and bosses that it just gets tedious and unfun if you don't have any (good) upgrades. There's nothing you can do to manipulate the RNG so if the game decides to screw you over, you'll get screwed over.

A few tricks to keep in mind to make the game easier is learning how and where to look for secret rooms, bombing mushrooms in the caves/catacombs if you got extra bombs (can drop one of my favorite items), bombing blue torches for soul hearts and not losing red health on the second floor to get the first guaranteed devil room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I finished the first floor of Enter the Gungeon and thought I was pretty good at the game. Oh boy was I wrong.

• Locked thread