Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

i will purchase nothing for my Switch that is not baseball, golf or farming related until Odyssey and then after that again.

Is there a Harvest Moon on switch yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just reserved Mario + Rabbids for pick-up in Argos, even though it's €8 more than in Smyths, because the only Smyths I can reasonably get to today before they close is kind of a hassle to get to. :argh:

I'm hoping the online Argos price is bullshit when I get there because seriously.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rabbid waluigi - a rabbidified version of a an evil copy of a copy of Mario

it's getting v abstract

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Why do some of you people think that physical is superior outside of being able to sell the games again? I see random people drop this comment all the time. I'm not being sarcastic. I am wondering if there is something I'm merely missing. I get that if you don't like a game or think you won't play it after beating a campaign again. The vast majority of my games sofar have a shitload of replayability and couch co-op love for the future. I'm just not seeing it. The Lego City Undercover is the first game I considered getting physically because I figure I am less likely to play that game once I get 100% on it, but even then the game is really fun to treat like a GTAish clone. It's also one of the heftier downloads. I have BoTW as a card and that is it for now. I wanted to have that game to play right away and just bought it without thinking. I wouldn't mind it as a digital since I will always want it, but it was a much larger file to ever have to download.

edit: Oh man. That clear case is beyond sexy. While I was there I stumbled onto this adapter that I feel like is a genius idea. I am surprised I had not seen this yet. I had seen alternative docks, but this thing is a great answer for really unleashing the portable multiplayer gaming aspect when you don't just want to table top it and don't want to drag the big dock around. I imagine its also very helpful for doing Twitch style streams.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nin...69e48aec7&tpp=1

I think I could also get behind those little joycon grip things. Has anyone been using any variety of those at all? Good? Bad?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 29, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm lazy, but not lazy enough that I can't change a disk in my PS4 or switch carts in my Switch. Also my internet likes to occasionally shut itself off everytime my download maxes out, which is extremely frustrating when I try to download 10gb+ games/patches. Also I think one could be concerned with these online shops/services not being around forever, like what happens if in the far future your console breaks and that console no longer has an online service or support?

For me personally though, it's all about the money. When I can get $12 dollars off a $60 game through prime and then resell it for $35-40 dollars when I'm finished, digital seems like a scam to me. If I want to replay a game again, like for DLC or something, I can just get it through Gamefly.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 29, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I like buying physical games. That's about it, really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Physical is better because it's £20 cheaper than digital unless it's on sale

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

rogue wave posted:

Why do some of you people think that physical is superior outside of being able to sell the games again? I see random people drop this comment all the time. I'm not being sarcastic. I am wondering if there is something I'm merely missing.

You can borrow or resell your games and they'll keep working even after Nintendo's servers shut down.

I always buy digital on PC since they usually force you to use some online DRM regardless, meaning there's no added value in having a physical copy. Consoles are different.

(and of course, digital is cheaper on PC, while physical is cheaper on consoles)

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 29, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Price isn't super important to me but for games like Fifa where I'll likely rebuy every year being able to trade in is important.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

rogue wave posted:

Why do some of you people think that physical is superior outside of being able to sell the games again? I see random people drop this comment all the time. I'm not being sarcastic. I am wondering if there is something I'm merely missing. I get that if you don't like a game or think you won't play it after beating a campaign again. The vast majority of my games sofar have a shitload of replayability and couch co-op love for the future. I'm just not seeing it. The Lego City Undercover is the first game I considered getting physically because I figure I am less likely to play that game once I get 100% on it, but even then the game is really fun to treat like a GTAish clone. It's also one of the heftier downloads. I have BoTW as a card and that is it for now. I wanted to have that game to play right away and just bought it without thinking. I wouldn't mind it as a digital since I will always want it, but it was a much larger file to ever have to download.

I prefer physical over digital because I can resell it, use it on different consoles, it doesnt loving disappear if my console gets broken, I'm not restricted to limited space on an SD card, and because I get to loving lick it several times

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I never know when I might feel like racing on Baby Park, so MK8 is a digital buy for me. On the other hand, my brother or a friend might want to play BOTW or Mario XCom when I'm done with the campaigns, so physical collectively saves us money.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hurry up you stupid download

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Woke up, got the mariocom. Drinking coffee and playing the game RIGHT NOW.

This Switch? It’s good, y’all.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I generally prefer the taste of physical media on the switch.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
My lizard brain derives pleasure from hoarding possessions.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Who was that smug rear end poster who kept melting down about physical media and how there'll be no planet left for your children because you bought a game box

He also signed off every post with the duck hunt dog laughing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Former YCS troll Monkeu

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Any updates on how nice the water is in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You will stop preferring physical when you move countries a couple of times and are like what the gently caress do I do with this boxes and boxes full of plastic

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You will stop preferring physical when you move countries a couple of times and are like what the gently caress do I do with this boxes and boxes full of plastic

You can just throw away the game boxes if it comes to that. It's not like you'd have those if you bought digital.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

do what i did, get some folder thing that carry discs or others and only take the games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did, now I have binders of CDs that are really difficult to resell!

Also an Altoids box of DS games.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like getting physical versions because of the Amazon discounts. That's about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I put all my GBA games in a box, then I lost the box...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

rogue wave posted:

edit: Oh man. That clear case is beyond sexy. While I was there I stumbled onto this adapter that I feel like is a genius idea. I am surprised I had not seen this yet. I had seen alternative docks, but this thing is a great answer for really unleashing the portable multiplayer gaming aspect when you don't just want to table top it and don't want to drag the big dock around. I imagine its also very helpful for doing Twitch style streams.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nin...69e48aec7&tpp=1

I think I could also get behind those little joycon grip things. Has anyone been using any variety of those at all? Good? Bad?

i picked up one of these on a recent biz trip in Hong Kong - pretty handy and it works for my macbook as well as a bonus.
it does get very hot though

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

rogue wave posted:

Price, mostly. Physical games go on sale a lot more often and for a much deeper discount than digital. (On consoles, mind, PC is an entirely different beast.) Plus you have the freedom to trade a game in or sell it when you're done playing it, or loan it to a friend/sibling/significant other to play.

There's also the matter of having the game after online services shut down in the nebulous future.

Personally, I'm fine with digital. I go mostly digital on my 3DS because I'm lazy about having to switch carts, and especially about having to carry multiple games with me on trips or whatnot. Having nearly my entire library with me at all times is strangely satisfying. The only game I've regretted getting digital on my 3DS is Mario Puzzle and Dragons, because, while I like the game, I suck horribly at it. My husband liked it and was good at it to boot. It would have been nice to be able to give it to him. Oh well.

For the Wii U and the Switch, I go a mix of physical and digital. If it's a game I will play intensely for a time, then shelve for long periods, I get it physical. (BotW is an example.) For games that I play for short periods over the long term, like Splatoon or Mario Kart, I get them digital. Sometimes the extra step of having to switch out what game is in my system deters me from playing it, so I prefer not to have that extra step.

There are valid reasons to do both.

Bongo Bill posted:

Miiverse was the only form of social media that I enjoyed using. It worked so well because the posts were sorted based on the game they were about, so you could expect your post to be read by people who know what the game is and who share your interest in it. No Facebook problem of having to explain a high-context joke to your mom, no Twitter problem of putting your video games shitposts alongside your politics shitposts.

You summed up my feelings on the Miiverse beautifully! :hfive: Lately, I've just been using Twitter as my personal Miiverse, since I hardly post on it, but I don't post gaming stuff on Facebook. My entire family is on there, and while they are under no delusions about what a massive nerd I am, I'd rather not give them too much detail...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

shrike82 posted:

i picked up one of these on a recent biz trip in Hong Kong - pretty handy and it works for my macbook as well as a bonus.

You're going to fry your Switch. It's not getting ventilation from the back vents.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

iajanus posted:

Hurry up you stupid download

Hey how is Wonder Boy? Visually it's gorgeous but the trailer makes the platforming look pretty basic

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

shrike82 posted:

ohh my goddd threee wires???? i will never figure this one out!

whaley fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 29, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Hey how is Wonder Boy? Visually it's gorgeous but the trailer makes the platforming look pretty basic

Very fun, albeit very reminiscent of old school platformers. It has a few allowances to more modern, helpful game systems but it's still punishing and tricky. Highly recommended.

(The new music is excellent, too.)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Downloading MRKB and I can't shake the feeling that I would not be buying this game had Odyssey come out first. Whatever, hope it's good! Never played xcom.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Closest comparison that comes to mind controls wise is Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

You get a handful of movement options (including the option to fly) but for the most part jumps are a little stiff. It's not terribly noticeable though outside of literally one screen in the game though and it still plays really well. It's a nice simple game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping when the paid service goes live we'll have something like Miiverse :sigh: call it like The SwitchBoard or something

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There will never be a replacement for Miiverse. They want people to use Facebook/Twitter.

RIP Miiverse you were too beautiful for this world.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/469556540656340992

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nintendo has stated what the end of Miiverse means.

Super Mario Maker (Wii U): Users will still be able to share levels, but will no longer be able to comment on them.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.
Splatoon (Wii U): Miiverse posts will no longer display in Inkopolis Plaza or the game's stage maps.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): The Miiverse stage will still be playable, but Miiverse user posts will not display in the background. Players will also be unable to post replays to YouTube/Miiverse, share stages or create tournaments.
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): Players will not be able to upload game-play videos to YouTube since they also post to Miiverse at the same time. The tournament function will also not be available.
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): In Super Mario 3D World, the Miiverse posts that appear on the course select screen and when selecting courses will disappear. Players will still be able to collect in-game stamps, but not post them to Miiverse.
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): In Xenoblade Chronicles X, the BLADE report feature will no longer be available.

Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're going to fry your Switch. It's not getting ventilation from the back vents.

Wouldn't the solution just be like, lay down a face cloth and put the Switch screen down?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nintendo has stated what the end of Miiverse means.

Super Mario Maker (Wii U): Users will still be able to share levels, but will no longer be able to comment on them.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.
Splatoon (Wii U): Miiverse posts will no longer display in Inkopolis Plaza or the game's stage maps.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): The Miiverse stage will still be playable, but Miiverse user posts will not display in the background. Players will also be unable to post replays to YouTube/Miiverse, share stages or create tournaments.
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): Players will not be able to upload game-play videos to YouTube since they also post to Miiverse at the same time. The tournament function will also not be available.
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): In Super Mario 3D World, the Miiverse posts that appear on the course select screen and when selecting courses will disappear. Players will still be able to collect in-game stamps, but not post them to Miiverse.
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): In Xenoblade Chronicles X, the BLADE report feature will no longer be available.

Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_xzzOhq8nY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

Wouldn't the solution just be like, lay down a face cloth and put the Switch screen down?

Just use the dock included with your Switch. It is elegantly designed for both convenience and efficiency. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hopefully the end of Miiverse also means the end of having separate logins for "Nintendo Acccount" and "Nintendo Network ID". Trying to figure out what accounts connected to what pissed me off enough that I packed my 3DS back into its box about a year ago and haven't touched it since.

• Locked thread