Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macaluso posted:

Yoshi's Island is literally a perfect video game. There isn't anything wrong with it. It's what every game should aspire to be. Don't @ me

I agree with this. I replayed it when I couldn't get an N64 at launch and even then I knew it would always be a timeless game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Yoshi's Island is literally a perfect video game. There isn't anything wrong with it. It's what every game should aspire to be. Don't @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0nYKgkFvMM

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Would it be possible to preorder something digital on the Switch Store or whatever, and have it download when it releases?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BoyBlunder posted:

Would it be possible to preorder something digital on the Switch Store or whatever, and have it download when it releases?

Not at the moment. It was possible on Wii U and 3DS after they both launched so I could see Switch getting that functionality eventually.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Nephzinho posted:

It's fun, but, there's no build diversity, there are characters clearly superior to others, there is nothing to do between fights, the exploration mechanics are actively bad, and there isn't nearly enough content (really all of the battle challenges should have been levels and then made more movement/mechanic based challenges). What is there is really really fun and the DLC will pad out the content, but it is not something I'm recommending to people to pick up right now at full price unless you're desperate for something to play/don't mind overpaying.

How far did you get? For example, Luigi's overwatch was a go to move until World Three where it didn't work on multiple enemies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you never hear this if you play the game good

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, in XCOM an 80% chance to hit at lower difficulties is actually a 96% chance because the game cheats in the player's favor because less skilled players will often take worse shots and they didn't want them to feel too bad about missing

I much prefer the chance in Mario to XCOM. Despite knowing I'm going to make the shot, the amount of damage isn't certain. I've had moments where I did less damage than I was counting on, but that's way less frustrating than missing a shot where you player has direct line of sight.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Unfortunately no, not yet

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

I much prefer the chance in Mario to XCOM. Despite knowing I'm going to make the shot, the amount of damage isn't certain. I've had moments where I did less damage than I was counting on, but that's way less frustrating than missing a shot where you player has direct line of sight.

I disagree in that regard, it's frustrating to hit a 50% shot but then you rolled the low end of the damage roll so you're still screwed.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

you never hear this if you play the game good

do you even know who that is

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a.lo posted:

do you even know who that is

its baby mario, duh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

its baby mario, duh

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i didn't even realize this was supposed to be crying until like 20 years after i first played it, i always heard it as mario yelling EGG!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i didn't even realize this was supposed to be crying until like 20 years after i first played it, i always heard it as mario yelling EGG!!

it shows him crying though

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
My favorite bit of trivia about Yoshi's Island is how the star theme eventually became the infamous Wing Cap theme from SM64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115b9ksz0ug

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

a.lo posted:

it shows him crying though

it shows him sitting in a bubble yelling EGG

it's a game about eggs so it makes perfect sense

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cartoon Man posted:

I know that. I'm talking about whether it launches on time or gets delayed.

Didn't the NX leaks reveal that Super Mario Odyssey has been finished for a while now?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 11, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you think mario is going to be delayed you need to see a doctor something is not right.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bill Barber posted:

My favorite bit of trivia about Yoshi's Island is how the star theme eventually became the infamous Wing Cap theme from SM64.

Aren't ground pounds also introduced in YI?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LethalGeek posted:

If you think mario is going to be delayed you need to see a doctor something is not right.

its been delayed since they first showed it off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

spit on my clit posted:

its been delayed since they first showed it off

No it hasn't. Their first trailer said 2017, then at E3 they announced it as being a October release which was a month earlier than anyone thought.

There were some people saying Zelda would be delayed to a holiday game and Mario would be a launch title but they were just making poo poo up.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

Infamous?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No it hasn't. Their first trailer said 2017, then at E3 they announced it as being a October release which was a month earlier than anyone thought.

There were some people saying Zelda would be delayed to a holiday game and Mario would be a launch title but they were just making poo poo up.

I love making poo poo up.

Like saying Yoshi's Island is a bad game.

Haha could you imagine?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If someone doesn't like a game you like get over it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Okay well it's STILL the first time I've seen, but no, I never have read a game magazine.

But still, I'll eat a pineapple pizza if Odyssey isn't released on 10/27/17.

:toxx:

:rip: a true Marie fan

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

this video is a pretty good representation of people who act as though the baby mario cry somehow makes yoshis island a bad game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall hearing Nintendo had to make the crying sound more annoying because otherwise people didn't get that if you didn't rescue Baby Mario soon, bad things happen.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I loved the baby Mario mechanic that really hid how hard it was to actually lose a level if you were even slightly careful, by masking it behind the clock. Levels became super stressful even though a lot of the time if you were patient you really couldn't die.

Also touch fuzzy get dizzy was just brilliant.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Aren't ground pounds also introduced in YI?

They are in console Mario games, but the Wario Land series gave the ability to ground pound before that. :eng101:
Granted, I am not sure if R&D1 and EAD had any overlap at this point, so I don't know if it inspired the move for YI.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
How well does the Switch hold its battery charge? If I put it on my bedside at 50% will it have around that 8 hours later?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ManSedan posted:

How well does the Switch hold its battery charge? If I put it on my bedside at 50% will it have around that 8 hours later?

Put it to sleep and it should be the same when you pick it up in the morning.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ManSedan posted:

Sleep mode retains a charge fairly well, you'll get more longevity if you put it in airplane mode too so it doesn't spend time looking for updates

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

im in japan for a few weeks, are there any japanese physical released games i should get for the switch that aint elsewhere?

also if anyone else goes to japan visit hakodate and eat lucky burger pierrot it was delicious and bizarre

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can you read Japanese? Monster Hunter XX

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Yoshi's Island a bad game because it's not Kirby's Island which would have been far more fun if you could eat baby mario

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

alf_pogs posted:

im in japan for a few weeks, are there any japanese physical released games i should get for the switch that aint elsewhere?

also if anyone else goes to japan visit hakodate and eat lucky burger pierrot it was delicious and bizarre

Well, uh, Fire Emblem Warriors comes out this month in Japan.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Best mario game; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFKssyYZIQ

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dizz posted:

Yoshi's Island a bad game because it's not Kirby's Island which would have been far more fun if you could eat baby mario

You can eat baby Mario but it's a glitch with s moderately difficult setup.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait to replay this on the SNES Mini :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can eat baby Mario but it's a glitch with s moderately difficult setup.

You don't get no cool baby powers though!

• Locked thread