Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zerilan posted:

Nier, Persona 5, and Hellblade are the 3 I liked more than BotW. RE7 was close too.

Put up your dukes

But no personally I thought BoTW is GOTY because I played Automata and Horizon and while both were good games they weren't as great as BoTW because my Zelda file has over 120 hours of play time while I probably only have like 4 hours in Horizon and don't intend to come back and I only got so far in Automata and again, don't really care to go finish it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Game of the year for me is still Night in the Woods, as crazy as that sounds :shobon:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Put up your dukes

But no personally I thought BoTW is GOTY because I played Automata and Horizon and while both were good games they weren't as great as BoTW because my Zelda file has over 120 hours of play time while I probably only have like 4 hours in Horizon and don't intend to come back and I only got so far in Automata and again, don't really care to go finish it

Automata I've played through 100% twice and it might be my actual all-time favorite game now. Horizon has enough hype to be a goty contender despite not personally being in my top 10 for the year (including both the AAA stuff and the $20 and under Indies, I really loved hollow Knight and night in the woods).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahah oh man I just realized all three of those games are post-apocalyptic

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm gonna get ragged on for this hot take, but to be honest I think that Golf Story's kinda mediocre. It's not a horrible game or anything, but starts to run its course (pun intended) maybe 3-4 hours in and does all the same-y bullshit with rear end in a top hat animals moving your ball, or hit specific targets, etc. Having to guess at absolutely everything as far as wind and slope goes just isn't really fun, and the writing isn't the good kind of camp. I loved the poo poo out of Mario Tennis on GBC as a kid but it's because it just got the hell out of your way and was a solid tennis game/RPG with little to no bullshit. You played opponents and leveled up until you were godlike. Golf Story just kinda jams too much inconvenience in.

Doom, on the other hand, was the best game of 2016.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

When I put down BOTW I thought it was the best game I've ever played and I still think that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Game of the year for me is still Night in the Woods, as crazy as that sounds :shobon:

Not crazy at all. I nearly dropped out of college in my second after a pretty similar mental breakdown (and moved back to my declining coal mining hometown for a semester) though so it was one of the few games I had to sit down and take a break from at a few points. NitW really just captures a time and place in this generation that few pieces of media have IMO.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Hahah oh man I just realized all three of those games are post-apocalyptic

And yet all 3 had really different aesthetics. It felt really refreshing compared to when every post-apoc media felt too hard like it was trying to be mad max or fallout.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For the record the actual GOTY is Hollow Knight

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

For the record the actual GOTY is Hollow Knight

I'm angry it's not on the switch already.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
So what's the deal with Galf, the mini games inside of Golf Story? I get that it's a joke but whenever I start it I just get stuck and have to go exit the entire game from the Switch home screen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RVWinkle posted:

So what's the deal with Galf, the mini games inside of Golf Story? I get that it's a joke but whenever I start it I just get stuck and have to go exit the entire game from the Switch home screen.
Some people get crashes every time, some people don't. I was one of the ones that didn't so I can't actually be more helpful than that - it just worked for me. Wait for their patch to drop, should be a few weeks.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
small brain: breath of the wild is game of the year
big brain: super mario odyssey is game of the year
biggest brain: puyo puyo tetris is game of the year

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Starfox 2 (2017) is game of the year

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

triple sulk posted:

I'm gonna get ragged on for this hot take, but to be honest I think that Golf Story's kinda mediocre. It's not a horrible game or anything, but starts to run its course (pun intended) maybe 3-4 hours in and does all the same-y bullshit with rear end in a top hat animals moving your ball, or hit specific targets, etc. Having to guess at absolutely everything as far as wind and slope goes just isn't really fun, and the writing isn't the good kind of camp. I loved the poo poo out of Mario Tennis on GBC as a kid but it's because it just got the hell out of your way and was a solid tennis game/RPG with little to no bullshit. You played opponents and leveled up until you were godlike. Golf Story just kinda jams too much inconvenience in.

Doom, on the other hand, was the best game of 2016.

Agreed, I put it down and probably won't finish it. The golf isn't very good for a golf game, and the charm doesn't make up for it enough to warrant playtime with so many other things out and Mario on the horizon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know what you're talking about with having to guess wind and slope. The game tells you wind at all times, and the slope of every surface by hovering over it. It's fairly easy to gauge where it will end up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Starfox 2 (2017) is game of the year

:great:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Finished my first year in Stardew, only regret was not doing the community center thingy to get the mine carts open earlier, I somehow thought the wizard tower was thru a bunch of forest? earlier.

I stalled out in Mario v. Rabbids a little before picking that up. Some long snaking map in world 3, I'm ahead enough on money that it seems like my only options to change things up or Do Better is just swapping out party members? Well, to the limited extent that's allowed. Mario has to be there, one Rabbid has to be there. Anyway I'm sure folks find it fun and the movement's a lot more fun than most SRPG's, but I still got stuck.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My Mate Vince has a video with some fixes for it your joycon has gotten loose. One needs a 3d printer but the others are quite simple/cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuAcqg2VJ_Q

Really the first quick fix is probably the best, a couple inches of electrical tape. The 3d printed piece is gonna be the absolute best if you have access.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Almost finished MarioRabbids; gently caress the second last level was a nightmare.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The slope indications could be better in Golf Story but I still felt like it was mostly fine and the wind indicator is the same as the wind indicator in every golf game????

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I was going to post something about being the best digital golfer ever, but these Blue Moon Dunes challenges have me sweating. I wish there was a way to end/restart the challenge after you screwed up the first shot or two. It’s not fun doing the 20 putt challenge :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

alf_pogs posted:

i liked hell; they just cribbed a bunch of megadeth and iron maiden album art and turned it into a videogame world.

also agree that doom got a bit repetitive and boring by the end but at that point i was jacked to the tits on adrenaline and basically had enough weapons to crush god so i don't really care. great game.

:yeah:

IDK if the chaingun was good with enhancements but the HMG with the micro rocket upgrade felt like cheating when I got it early on. Game introduced Hell Knights and I immediately introduced them to endless streams of exploding pain.

Mass Driver was the MVP. Both upgrades were amazing too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have always hated motion controls and it drove me nuts when Splatoon 1 and 2 both forced you to use them during the tutorial part. How do you deal with constantly having to reset the view because facing forward now corresponds to the controller facing down and sideways? It happened every few seconds for me in both 1 and 2.

Get good.

Seriously. I will keep repeating this forever. I remember trying to learn mouse controls back in 1998 or whenever Quake hit and staring at the floor a lot. It took time to learn k&m and took time to get goldeneye right, it's gonna take time to learn this too. You'll learn your new mid point and then you won't need to reset your view on gyro too.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I don't want to start any other games because Odyssey is coming out next week and I will forget about whatever I was playing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mad Katter posted:

I don't want to start any other games because Odyssey is coming out next week and I will forget about whatever I was playing.

Yeah, my goal is to beat Rabbids before hand.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, my goal is to beat Rabbids before hand.

Mine is to beat Rabbids and Splat2n. If I can manage those then maybe another single player game as well (although those two are by far the closest).

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I still haven't beaten Splatoon 2 single player. Didn't grab me in the same way that Splatoon 1's campaign did.

I've been loving ranked mode and salmon run though.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I also want to play Earthbound, Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES mini, but they're all going to have to wait.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Raserys posted:

small brain: breath of the wild is game of the year
big brain: super mario odyssey is game of the year
biggest brain: puyo puyo tetris is game of the year

galaxy brain: splatoon 2 is game of the year

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's been so much good poo poo released this year gently caress

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mad Katter posted:

Even if I played 12 hours a day I probably still couldn’t beat Zelda before Odyssey comes out. Welp.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Even if I played 12 hours a day I probably still couldn’t beat Zelda before Odyssey comes out. Welp.

I beat it in roughly 75 hours. Plenty of time left. :rolleye:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Just run straight to the castle. You could have it finished in 20 minutes!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have always hated motion controls and it drove me nuts when Splatoon 1 and 2 both forced you to use them during the tutorial part. How do you deal with constantly having to reset the view because facing forward now corresponds to the controller facing down and sideways? It happened every few seconds for me in both 1 and 2.

Well I mean... you don't really have to deal with it at all because it's not that much of an issue, and when you do need to reset the view, you push a button and you're good to go.

Infinitum posted:

Is GOTY going to be Odyssey or Breath

Mario & Link will be 2017 tag team champions of the world

KingSlime posted:

i love how you get a single quest as soon as the game takes off: Defeat Ganon

it kinda circumvents the notion of janky and inconsistent main story quest chains in open world games, even if the game does actually have other side quests

Even better that if you are so inclined and know where to go, you can go straight to Ganon and wreck his poo poo immediately

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 17, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mad Katter posted:

I'm really interested in Mummy Demastered, really interested. But that poo poo comes out like 3 days before Odyssey... I can't plow through any game in 3 days and wouldn't want to anyway.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Regarding BotW, I have to agree with Jim Sterling's review: it's great at first, but then the cracks start to show. So it's a 7 out of 10 from me.

Splatoon 2 on the other hand is my GotY.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rexroom posted:

Regarding BotW, I have to agree with Jim Sterling's review: it's great at first, but then the cracks start to show. So it's a 7 out of 10 from me.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the weapon degradation like he did, but the game really started feeling like FarCry: Hyrule after a while.
It needed some actual dungeons like Hyrule Castle, and not just the four Guardians, which are just extended shrines.
And there are too many shrines, even for the minimum I did just to get the Master Sword + 1 extra Stamina wheel.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I found I was starting to get a little over it, but that was after 120 hours and every shrine and maybe could have had more to do with the fact I'd been obsessively playing it for weeks. Then I put the disc for HZD in and was missing BOTW for its freedom and gameplay immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I think if you're okay with the emphasis being on roaming the wilderness then it will have a much longer lasting appeal. It's hiking simulator with zelda elements woven in, something I personally dig.

• Locked thread