Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Violen posted:

Has anyone come across a solution for the 'stuck at 480p' thing for monitor DVI to HDMI connections yet? Got hit with this unpleasantness after firing up the Switch for Odyssey tonight. No issues of this nature at all before the update, changed nothing about the setup in any fashion between when it worked and now. The biggest thread in the Switch subreddit about this still has streams of people saying it's not fixed for them even in 4.0.1 as the latest replies. I didn't notice any solution hiding anywhere. The biggest thread in NOA's support center has a pinned response from a moderator that's just generic computer monitor advice which contradicts like half the replies in the thread explicitly stating they tried the fix suggested to no effect, before the suggestion was made, so that's not promising on Nintendo pushing any fix anytime soon, since we also went another update with no fix in-between the issue presenting itself with 4.0.0. This is my only option for any display outside of handheld. Supremely bummed.

It's a hard knock video game life.

Nope, no work-around. I think the running theory is that Nintendo has to implement a HDCP mode toggle like other consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

So I got home, cracked open Odyssey, licked the game cart, and it tasted loving awful. Like straight from China awful. Is that why it's a meme? Holy crap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good Lord just played lakeside kingdom for about an hour and a half. This level is supposed to be one of the weaker kingdoms, but I was enthralled the entire time. It seems so small, but so jam packed with things around every corner. I ended up collecting like sixteen moons before I even went to the first miniboss there.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Violen posted:

Has anyone come across a solution for the 'stuck at 480p' thing for monitor DVI to HDMI connections yet? Got hit with this unpleasantness after firing up the Switch for Odyssey tonight. No issues of this nature at all before the update, changed nothing about the setup in any fashion between when it worked and now. The biggest thread in the Switch subreddit about this still has streams of people saying it's not fixed for them even in 4.0.1 as the latest replies. I didn't notice any solution hiding anywhere. The biggest thread in NOA's support center has a pinned response from a moderator that's just generic computer monitor advice which contradicts like half the replies in the thread explicitly stating they tried the fix suggested to no effect, before the suggestion was made, so that's not promising on Nintendo pushing any fix anytime soon, since we also went another update with no fix in-between the issue presenting itself with 4.0.0. This is my only option for any display outside of handheld. Supremely bummed.

aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm still running 3.0.2 in flight mode with wifi and autoupdate disabled even after the supposed 'fix'.

Literally no way I could play at 480p.

You must be miserable with your Mario.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Steve Jorbs posted:

So I got home, cracked open Odyssey, licked the game cart, and it tasted loving awful. Like straight from China awful. Is that why it's a meme? Holy crap.

Yes, they make them taste awful so children and pets don't eat them and to entertain the rest of us.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also apparently some people are violently allergic to the stinky taste chemical so watch out

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Steve Jorbs posted:

They’re coated with a “bittering agent” so little kids don’t put them in their mouths and swallow them.

One of the super early Switch reviews had people telling the guy to put a cartridge in his mouth, he did, and that’s how people found out they taste awful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

Taste your piss. The flavors are identical.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Voxx posted:

Nope, no work-around. I think the running theory is that Nintendo has to implement a HDCP mode toggle like other consoles.

HDCP was the first thing that came to my mind too. Based on Nintendo's track record with streaming video, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't know how other consoles work but I would bet that kind of requirement is baked in to content provider contracts for streaming video and such.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Good Lord just played lakeside kingdom for about an hour and a half. This level is supposed to be one of the weaker kingdoms, but I was enthralled the entire time. It seems so small, but so jam packed with things around every corner. I ended up collecting like sixteen moons before I even went to the first miniboss there.

yea even the kinda 'basic' early stuff is still just delightful. Unless the later stuff really craps the bed I'm pretty sure this'll be a 'even the worst level in the game is better than most games' best ones' thing.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

RVWinkle posted:

HDCP was the first thing that came to my mind too. Based on Nintendo's track record with streaming video, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't know how other consoles work but I would bet that kind of requirement is baked in to content provider contracts for streaming video and such.

I know PS4 has it as a toggle, so you turn it on when you need netflix, otherwise have it off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do yourselves a favor of Mario Oddyssey and go turn up the motion controls to high sensitivity. They start on low. I set them to high and immediately every move that had seemed a little inconsistent before was working effortlessly every time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Do yourselves a favor of Mario Oddyssey and go turn up the motion controls to high sensitivity. They start on low. I set them to high and immediately every move that had seemed a little inconsistent before was working effortlessly every time.

the only thing that changes is motion control camera sensitivity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Huh then I guess the truck is to assume the motion controls are sensitive and make subtle movements

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I was having fun playing Super Mario Odyssey until I realized that the coin counter in the top left hand side of the screen is not synched with the dinging sound from picking up stacks of coins. In changes to your new total almost instantly but the sound continues to play for each coin you gathered.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I like to collect and there are so many God drat moons and purple coins in this game help

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This, but crank rumble all the way up :getin:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Midjack posted:

Taste your piss. The flavors are identical.

Does it have to be fresh, or can I just sample one of the many filled Gatorade bottles gathered around the legs of my desk?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It took me a while to get used to how Mario moves in this. He turns in a really weird way compared to other 3d Marios, I don't really know how to describe it but trying to curve or run in a circle feels off. Good game though and holy hell is the screenshot thing fun. The fisheye alone is worth it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Mario is real good but top down bullet bill mazes are awful and having your controls suddenly change when you're going around a turn is some annoying bullshit.

Still spent 3 hours running around in the desert and collected a total of 40 moons, including the one in New Donk City before I left.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mister Facetious posted:

Am I the only one that just walked to a store and bought it when they opened? Game delivery by mail doesn't make sense when modern supply chains ensure they can't sell out anymore.

$12 off, I don’t have to hoof it over to a store, and I’ve never had an issue with release day delivery before. Even today it was a UPS issue. Mm, it’s unusual for them not to come by early in the day, but they did get it to me eventually.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How long is Odyssey?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

shrike82 posted:

How long is Odyssey?

15-20 hours for reviewers to rush through the main campaign, god knows how long if you intend on doing everything -- 40+?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

enojy posted:

15-20 hours for reviewers to rush through the main campaign, god knows how long if you intend on doing everything -- 40+?

I'm guessing I'll be between 15--20 hours by the time I finish the story at my current pace, but with less than a third of the total moon count.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

The Milkman posted:

$12 off, I don’t have to hoof it over to a store, and I’ve never had an issue with release day delivery before. Even today it was a UPS issue. Mm, it’s unusual for them not to come by early in the day, but they did get it to me eventually.

yeah not everybody gets shafted

but enough people do where you can take steps to remove the risk altogether if waiting an extra day or two is going to be upsetting enough that it offsets the $12 discount

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

deadwing posted:

This, but crank rumble all the way up :getin:

yeah the rumble in this game is excellent. i did it after the desert room where you have to use it. also, the final quest in the NDC mayor's request chain was amazing. related: any outfit you wear will show up in 2d for this section, unlike other 2d parts that has mario's regular digs. just pop back into the ship and change

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

guys

guys

Guys

GUYS

Mario is real good.

Szmitten posted:

Can someone clear this up for me since this might get messy?

I have an EU account. If I want to access the US or JP store, I have to create a Nintendo Account for that specific region (and a unique email address; I only have one more to spare but I guess I can make another). Any demos from other stores that I downloaded will work regardless of which account is logged in, but Paypal and card payments will vary. Right?

And if I want to join a US or JP Splatfest, can I just log in with one of those respective accounts, or do I also have to purchase that region's game too (I've heard this but it doesn't make sense to me since it's region free)?
Don't think this was answered, but yeah if you login to the shop with a NA or JP account, you will access that region's shop. Bear in mind that, aside from a couple of exceptions, stuff has released on the same day in NA and EU. There have been a few exceptions, or cases where e.g. a game came out on a Tuesday in NA, and the following Friday in EU.

For payments, you may need to get an eShop card if you want to buy anything off the JP shop. I haven't tried it myself, but from impressions I get in here it seems quite picky about accepting non-Japanese cards (some people have had success, though).

You typically can't purchase a game more than once... if you own Splatoon 2, purchased from the EU eShop, and login to the NA eShop, it will show on there as already Purchased.

entropy posted:

Has this been done yet

I didn't know Conor McGregor was a Mario fan.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Plesy!!! Aside from Champion Road, this lil cutie was probably my favorite thing in 3D World.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's Dorrie from Super Mario 64.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

related: any outfit you wear will show up in 2d for this section, unlike other 2d parts that has mario's regular digs. just pop back into the ship and change
This seems to happen for 2D things in other worlds, as well. I just did the Lost Kingdom, and the Aviator outfit (which is bought in that world) showed up in the 2D bits as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just got my Switch in the mail with the fancy new red joycons.

Disappointed at the lack of eShop music, but on the whole this thing feels awesome.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Drone posted:

Just got my Switch in the mail with the fancy new red joycons.

Disappointed at the lack of eShop music, but on the whole this thing feels awesome.

Just wait til you play a game!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Wendell posted:

Just wait til you play a game!

And boy howdy, what games!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I saw something last night that there are over 200 games available for the Switch. And that’s without a Virtual Console. Crazy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Nintendo stumbles upon success sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

You can crush the main story in ten-ish hours, even grabbing stray hidden Power Moons along the way. Guess how I know this? :shepface:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’s a stupid Mario Game how can it give me goosebumps and make me smile like a dumb dope Jesus Christ Nintendo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Hopping in and knowing how to do most of the jump combinations because of Mario 64 really brought me back. I just started long jumping for 2 minutes straight for no reason. This game is loads of fun. loving goomba tower mario are you kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Steve Jorbs posted:

Used Switch game carts are worthless because there is such a high probability that it was licked by whatever rear end owned it before you. There is no way Nintendo could have expected so many people to put game carts in their mouths.

• Locked thread