Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

bilperkins2 posted:

My biggest gripe with BotW is the severe lack of music. Riding your horse through Hyrule Field SHOULD be accompanied by the sweeping Overworld theme and it's weird that it doesn't.

That's also my biggest complaint about Mario Odyssey as well. There are chunks of the game where there's no music at all and it's horrible. I wanted Super Mario 64 esque music to add to the ambiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ohtsam posted:

Also had a hard mode which rebalanced all the levels of opposing trainers and made the gyms a lot tougher. They really really need to bring that back.

Because of how they scaled Hard Mode it was actually easier than normal mode though. With the scaling exp formula it let you get your mons higher level easier and let you hit specific evolution breakpoints you can't without grinding on normal. Like your third tier starter at the fourth gym.

There's a reason the speedrun of B/W2 is played on Hard Mode.

This also made 'easy mode' have some weird difficulty spikes since your dudes are underlevelled and they don't reduce opponent pokemon stages.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 1, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PantsBandit posted:

Mario Oddysey opened in Japan by selling 34% more copies than the next biggest, console Mario game release (Galaxy 2)

Holy poo poo

RIP Nintendo and its dead console.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Even if they're "just" saying a Switch SKU for Black Friday and also XC2... wasn't that game coming out on December 1?

Rexroom posted:

No, but they probably understood the press release wrong. The special bundle is probably scheduled for a Holiday release, or December 1st.

Alternately: There's a Switch+XCX2 bundle that includes a XCX2 download code so you can pre-load the game. That'd be really drat weird though and mislead most people unless it's stated on the box that the game is a download code and unlocks on Dec 1st.

^burtle posted:

SoW will be a sick Black Friday scoop up for $30.

I'm looking forward to picking up the GOTY edition for :20bux: or less next year during a Steam Sale like I did the first one.

...and then not actually play it for 6+ months.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm looking forward to picking up the GOTY edition for :20bux: or less next year during a Steam Sale like I did the first one.

...and then not actually play it for 6+ months.

I got it for $5 and yeah took me until last month to actually try it out and it’s fun as hell. There’s just too many good games out right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm looking to get a Switch near the end of this month and have been gathering info from here and from various retailers. The one thing that kinda boggles my mind right now is that the Pro Controller is so drat expensive. Is it really worth it, or would I be better off just getting a second pair of joycons and another one of the attachy things that make them a ghetto controller themselves?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm looking to get a Switch near the end of this month and have been gathering info from here and from various retailers. The one thing that kinda boggles my mind right now is that the Pro Controller is so drat expensive. Is it really worth it, or would I be better off just getting a second pair of joycons and another one of the attachy things that make them a ghetto controller themselves?

The joy cons on the thing really isn't comfortable for me. The pro controller feels amazing and the battery last approximately forever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Reaffirms my belief that any video game music that chooses to add an organ/70s synth to it owns balls

exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWS82orrtik

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Joy-Cons + grip is actually more expensive than the pro controller

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

To be honest, I think it's one of those things you have to try and hold for yourself to find out. I bought a Pro Controller at launch just because I wanted a second controller but got home and immediately found the JoyCon grip to be uncomfortable, so I was really glad that I shelled out for the Pro, but at the same time I have friends who have no problems with the Grip itself.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got a Pro so when we play Mario Kart, I can use that controller and my scrub friends can each have one half of a joy-con.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Joy-Cons + grip is actually more expensive than the pro controller

True, but I also figured I would want/need a second set of joy-cons for multiplayer at some point, since I assume there are some things were the Pro Controller wouldn't function. If that's just games like 1-2-Switch (even though I know in that one each player uses 1 of the 2 joy-cons), though, maybe I'll just go with the Pro Controller instead.

Thanks to the folks who have provided their input so far, too. It's definitely helpful in planning.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Fire Emblem Warriors is pretty good fun. The tactical additions to the core gameplay actually goes a long way in making it feel like a compelling experience. However, the story in the story is terrible, basically been "different displaced characters from the franchise run into each other, get confused by the situation, and so they battle until they realize they're not actually enemies" the whole time. I get the feeling it's going to be like this until I get all the characters.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Mario x Rabbids was pretty good and charming but XCOM: War of the Chosen is leagues better when it comes to best game in the genre this year. It's not even a contest in my mind.

As a console gamer, lol XCOM2's loading screens. Does the War of the Chosen at all make it run like not-rear end on PS4?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Top Gun posted:

That's also my biggest complaint about Mario Odyssey as well. There are chunks of the game where there's no music at all and it's horrible. I wanted Super Mario 64 esque music to add to the ambiance.

So far the only bits where there aren't any music it seems for deliberate effect so the music can hit you when you step over a threshold or something. I think it works quite well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

while i generally agree about the battle music in BotW, the hinox music is some perfect zelda soundtrack poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmy5pjf31xI

it's like a jurassic park deep cut or something. but it also sounds a bit ridiculous, which the big stevan-seagal-or-pregnant-woman-lumbering-around hinox kind of is.

when this music starts it's pretty great, but it gave me false hope that all the different minibosses would have their own themes. having Lynels share the same music as the Yiga assassins was a bit of a letdown. (but i love the rest of the game's soundtrack. the open world ambient piano feels like a real deliberate stylistic choice and i am glad they went for it.)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zore posted:

Because of how they scaled Hard Mode it was actually easier than normal mode though. With the scaling exp formula it let you get your mons higher level easier and let you hit specific evolution breakpoints you can't without grinding on normal. Like your third tier starter at the fourth gym.

There's a reason the speedrun of B/W2 is played on Hard Mode.

This also made 'easy mode' have some weird difficulty spikes since your dudes are underlevelled and they don't reduce opponent pokemon stages.

While pretty lol @ the speedrun anecdote, I still wouldn't agree that it's easier. They clearly do things that increase the difficulty in a normal way; adding pokemon to Gym/E4 rosters, switching those rosters to have better pokemon, changing their movesets slightly to be more mean (for the most of them anyways), giving a bunch new items, and upgrading the AI a level. The EXP change does make a difference, but you couldn't just change the levels only and expect the general audience to really take it seriously (ignoring the fact that the EXP gain is tied to levels in the first place so this change would be complicated).

Like, to experienced players who know pokemon well enough? It's probably not much of a step up, and of course abusable to speedruns due to higher levels gaining more EXP combined with optimal strats. But for the general pokemon audience that struggle enough already, the only anecdotal reports I've seen around still have the mode as being slightly harder.

Tbh I think it kinda would be tough to make an real ideal challenge like that while also making it generally accessible for normal players who want to get better. It's the kind of level of detail that a romhack could do, but no easy solution for a game series that generally tosses ideas in and out on a dime.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oh I do agree that BOTW, like every 3d Zelda, is hurt by the dumb music that interrupts the good music every time you step near a random mook.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

alf_pogs posted:

when this music starts it's pretty great, but it gave me false hope that all the different minibosses would have their own themes.

Well...they do. Hinoxes, Taluses, Guardians, and Moldugas all have their own themes. It's really only Lynels that share music with something else.

Unless you mean like...individually for each one? Cause holy hell that'd be a ton of music. Maybe different variations of the Minibosses could have different music though, like the various Guardian themes already do.

edit: cool all this botw music let me find a song I never heard of in the game. I'm digging this almost metroid prime-y battle song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04d4hIMF6R8

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ventana posted:

Unless you mean like...individually for each one? Cause holy hell that'd be a ton of music. Maybe different variations of the Minibosses could have different music though, like the various Guardian themes already do.

hahaha i did; as i was playing all my other ridiculous expectations had been far exceeded

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As a console gamer, lol XCOM2's loading screens. Does the War of the Chosen at all make it run like not-rear end on PS4?

I don't think War of the Chosen is available for PS4 yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't think War of the Chosen is available for PS4 yet.

It isn't. It vastly improved loading on PC though, to the point WotC runs better on a regular hard drive than the base game did on my SSD.

Which is good because it was loving huge and couldn't fit on my SSD :v:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Two Beans posted:

You have to keep the charging grip plugged in anyway to charge joycons. It doesn't have its own battery.

I get that, it's less annoying connecting a USB port to things than disconnecting two joy-cons, connecting to the system, disconnecting from the system, reconnecting to the grip.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

And if you don't like using the Joy Con grip, there's no way of having them connected to a source of power while playing docked.

Corded USB Joy Cons, please.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What are you guys doing that your joy cons actually run out of battery??

Popping them in and out of a console takes zero effort....wtf guys

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

For anyone who was interested in getting L.A Noire on Switch: the digital version is 29 GB, and the physical version requires a 14GB day one patch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

For anyone who was interested in getting L.A Noire on Switch: the digital version is 29 GB, and the physical version requires a 14GB day one patch.
So that means about half the game deliberately isn't on the cartridge? That's how they're gonna handle giant games, rather than reducing their texture resolution or re-encode videos or something?

So much for carts being a useful thing for people on metered internet connections.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So much for carts being a useful thing for people on metered internet connections.

So much for hoping my Switch's internal memory would be enough to last me awhile by choosing physical over digital.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Policenaut posted:

Thread question: do you think this is going to increasingly be more of a thing that I should just get a big SD card and start going all digital? All other arguments aside, this large day 1 patch stuff is getting annoying to hear and I'd hate to have to deal with this when bigger/better games start coming along (not implying current switch games aren't good)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It sure sounds like Nintendo too is going to move to the cartridge just being a physical token that says you own the license for the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh speaking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvdeNQUkL8

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ventana posted:

Thread question: do you think this is going to increasingly be more of a thing that I should just get a big SD card and start going all digital? All other arguments aside, this large day 1 patch stuff is getting annoying to hear and I'd hate to have to deal with this when bigger/better games start coming along (not implying current switch games aren't good)

I'd plan on every third-party non-indieish game to pull this.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It sure sounds like Nintendo too is going to move to the cartridge just being a physical token that says you own the license for the game.

I was so happy too that Nintendo didn't follow the whole thing of installing the full game onto the hard drive with physical games.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Pointedly when Microsoft and Sony started encouraging hard drive installation from the disc before you could play a game, they also started making all their consoles come with actual HDDs instead of cheaping out and expecting the consumer to pick up the slack.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Samurai Sanders posted:

So that means about half the game deliberately isn't on the cartridge? That's how they're gonna handle giant games, rather than reducing their texture resolution or re-encode videos or something?

A lot of it boils down to the cost of a larger cart, COGS-wise. Someone did a P&L somewhere that told them it'd cost $X more per unit to go with the 32GB cart over the 16GB cart, and decided making everyone download the remaining data was worth the PR hit in order to save that money.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Imagined posted:

Pointedly when Microsoft and Sony started encouraging hard drive installation from the disc before you could play a game, they also started making all their consoles come with actual HDDs instead of cheaping out and expecting the consumer to pick up the slack.

They were making giant console blocks, not a handheld.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Imagined posted:

And using a standard SD card slot for their handheld device is not the equivalent?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not if it doesn't come with an SD card in it? Hence the "expecting the consumer to pick up the slack".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

They were making giant console blocks, not a handheld.

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 2, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the hard drive capacity sucks on the switch but luckily for me LA Noire isn't the game that's going to make me find a solution to this problem. if a Dark Souls re-release were on the cards that needed it, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

That's a lot of loot box items. :eyepop:

• Locked thread