Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the gist of the article isn't wrong it's just, the whole thing with kamitani wasn't really a thing and schreier said more than a couple times afterward that he was cool with the guy and iirc he talked with him about his artistic influences for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Frankston posted:

The only good anime is phoenix wright Nintendo please release phoenix wright switch attorney

disagree with only good anime but agree with phoenix wright on switch

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I gave the photo editor a go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know exactly who gets to decide what sexuality is and isnt acceptable: a bunch of 40 year old men on something awful

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Chernabog posted:

I gave the photo editor a go.

So a-sorry for your mis-a-carriage! Wa-hoo!

e: alternate caption "sometimes a miscarriage is harder on the toad."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ground pounds aren't just fun and games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i know exactly who gets to decide what sexuality is and isnt acceptable: a bunch of 40 year old men on something awful

Yeah it’s hosed up that people would discuss what they personally find acceptable on an internet forum

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

What is the correct age and gender for a person to state the opinion "its bad when anime sexualizes kids"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Switch has a dire lack of visual novels, imo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Switch has a dire lack of visual novels, imo

weren't we getting The Silver Case

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

What is the correct age and gender for a person to state the opinion "its bad when anime sexualizes kids"

69, they

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Endorph posted:

Your point would land more gracefully if we weren't talking about a medium where sexed up children is the norm rather than the exception

E: what super car said, basically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Your point would land more gracefully if we weren't talking about a medium where sexed up children is the norm rather than the exception
we aren't talking about game of thrones though??

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm surprised that The Nonary Games isn't getting a Switch port, or did I miss an announcement

get Sweet Fuse on there too. and also House in Fata Morgana and SteinsHeadChildGateZero and some Key poo poo probably

also that stereotype about anime isn't true, it's the opposite. it's just that the exceptions are really glaring. i keep tabs on each new seasons' animes and out of like 70-80 series you get maybe one that's WHAT THE gently caress and all you have to do to avoid that is just look up any review capsule of the ongoing season

(also out of like 70-80 series maybe five out of all of them is actually any good, so there's that too. just wait for the post-season recs)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 3, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Only one out of 80 animes feature weird sexual undertones and/or young looking characters with fanservicey stuff thrown in?

I enjoy quality anime as much as the next goon but I feel like that number is overly optimistic

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im also not shocked at the number of goons rushing headlong into traffic to defend anime

:chloe:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
its cool and good that sexualization of children is apparently something we need to accept because game of thrones is popular???

oh wait no, its also really creepy and bad when its done in that book/on the show too and most of the forum discussions on game of thrones are about how its bad so... It also has nothing to do with the Switch, video games or XC2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

weren't we getting The Silver Case

That was that woman who made up like 90% of her poo poo saying we were so no.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Endorph posted:

Strange you didn't include "white cis" anywhere in that statement or a link to your tumblr profile.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm surprised that The Nonary Games isn't getting a Switch port, or did I miss an announcement

get Sweet Fuse on there too. and also House in Fata Morgana and SteinsHeadChildGateZero and some Key poo poo probably

also that stereotype about anime isn't true, it's the opposite. it's just that the exceptions are really glaring. i keep tabs on each new seasons' animes and out of like 70-80 series you get maybe one that's WHAT THE gently caress and all you have to do to avoid that is just look up any review capsule of the ongoing season

(also out of like 70-80 series maybe five out of all of them is actually any good, so there's that too. just wait for the post-season recs)

Sorry but I follow the seasons too and that's not even true after adding all the anime for young kids that no one bothers to license or localize.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I blame the blades

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Only one out of 80 animes feature weird sexual undertones and/or young looking characters with fanservicey stuff thrown in?

I enjoy quality anime as much as the next goon but I feel like that number is overly optimistic
i wanna make sure i'm not lumped in with a bad crowd here, what I'm saying is that one out of 80 animes is "main character wants to gently caress his sister and gathers people together to celebrate his fetish" which is loving awful and everyone agrees its awful. and as for the other series, there are sites like anime feminist or josei next door that tell you the problematic content of each series so you can make an informed decision, and it's usually pretty easy because they do season roundups and collect it all together. it's really easy to NOT run headlong into garbage unless you're just spinning an anime roulette wheel.

I know we're on a derail right now but the worst thing about anime currently and why i'm not super into it right now is that a lot of series are based on light novels and every season seems to bring out six or seven different takes on "a nerd gets pulled into an MMO!!!" I don't get very enthused by reading the synopses and I'm mostly just waiting for more Masaki Yuasa stuff to come over to america. the only 2017 series i've watched at this point in time is magical circle guru-guru which is basically a silly jrpg parody cartoon.

bringing that over to games chat, JRPGs don't necessarily have the same kind of trend-chasing, but it is rare to see one that doesn't rely on archetypes and Xenoblade 2 looks chock full of them, whereas X1/XCX had interesting settings at least. when the fuckin island talked to the protag in the xeno2 trailer my brain shut off

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

That was that woman who made up like 90% of her poo poo saying we were so no.

lol goddamnit. LKD sucks

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Two Beans posted:

It's easy. Full roster of CAWs, each with loads of custom uploaded images for face, tattoos, logos. Then run them all through the various game modes where they have tracked W/L records, title wins, rivalries, friendships, their standings with The Authority.

Hard to believe unless those custom images are really really big. The rest of that basically amounts to text. Does anyone have a link to a 5GB json file so I can see how many characters that would end up being haha

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

its cool and good that sexualization of children is apparently something we need to accept because game of thrones is popular???
yeah thats my point

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah thats my point

What exactly is your point?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

season roundups and collect it all together. it's really easy to NOT run headlong into garbage unless you're just spinning an anime roulette wheel.
those sites are pretty bad, they aren't very well-informed at all and they love to make dumb hot takes based off literally nothing. I commented on animefeminist saying that Tales of Zestiria anime had a female demographic and pointing out a couple of anime they said were pretty much exclusively aimed at and enjoyed by guys had a huge female fanbase and my comment got deleted after I got yelled at, lol.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
anime feminist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

What exactly is your point?

the character designs in xbc2 are kind of dumb but it's weird to make hot takes about entire genres or groups of people just because you don't like a couple of things, or to act like bayonetta is the only video game to ever do sexuality well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the character designs in xbc2 are kind of dumb but it's weird to make hot takes about entire genres or groups of people just because you don't like a couple of things, or to act like bayonetta is the only video game to ever do sexuality well.

Maybe you should have said that then instead of doing some dumb hot take about 40-year old men

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

those sites are pretty bad, they aren't very well-informed at all and they love to make dumb hot takes based off literally nothing.
I dunno, I generally find them pretty useful, especially in regards to content warnings so I know what to beware, and also getting a sense of whether a show would be in my wheelhouse or not. I much prefer it to THEM or AnimeNewsNetwork's season guide which at this point I read just to :chloe: at theron martin's reviews

I used to read anime stuff on The Mary Sue but at some point it just became "Utena rules!!" over and over. which, yeah Utena rules but theres more to life. there's more to life!!! than utena!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 3, 2017

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm just glad it looks like you can read the text in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 without a magnifying glass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I dunno, I generally find them pretty useful, especially in regards to content warnings so I know what to beware, and also getting a sense of whether a show would be in my wheelhouse or not. I much prefer it to THEM or AnimeNewsNetwork
i mean its not hard to be better than ann, which at one point featured a review where somebody said a lesbian should get together with her male cousin because that would do wonderful things for her character. and i guess they might be useful just for basic content warnings or whatever but i cant imagine looking to them for any kind of useful analysis of anything. and I think you can imagine most content warnings just from looking at a show's synopsis.

also watch euphonium season 2.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I simply want to add that loading Bayo2 for the first time on the Wii U for someone who grew up with super censorship console war Nintendo of the 80s was loving unreal. A Sega made game on a Nintendo system featuring about as much violence and nudity as a game can do. You try to go back in time and tell someone that was going to happen they would have died laughing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

whaley posted:

I'm just glad it looks like you can read the text in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 without a magnifying glass

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

i mean its not hard to be better than ann and i guess they might be useful just for basic content warnings or whatever but i cant imagine looking to them for any kind of useful analysis of anything. and I think you can imagine most content warnings just from looking at a show's synopsis.

also watch euphonium season 2.
i haven't seen the first euphonium yet. the anime i just finished was Kaiji which I actually recommend to anyone reading this thread because it's a cool combination of gambling and deathgame gimmicks, with over the top hot blooded narration, and everyone cries all the time, but Kaiji never gives up!!! (there's also nothing objectionable in it whatsoever)

a Kaiji game would be pretty loving rad actually. (on the switch)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't watched a good anime in years. I gave reCreators an honest try earlier this year because the concept looked interesting and a friend who saw the first couple episodes said it was promising. Neither of us finished, it degenerated into terrible melodramatic garbage. :saddowns:

Edit: it was also the only thing that looked promising and welp

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i haven't seen the first euphonium yet. the anime i just finished was Kaiji which I actually recommend to anyone reading this thread because it's a cool combination of gambling and deathgame gimmicks, with over the top hot blooded narration, and everyone cries all the time

a Kaiji game would be pretty loving rad actually. (on the switch)
then watch euphonium season 1.

also mmo junkie is airing this season so its not done yet but its a cute show about adult characters with fairly relatable issues 'n all.

also a kaiji game would be good only if you had to hold one of the joycons up to your ear to simulate a drill being placed against your eardrum

THE loving MOON posted:

I haven't watched a good anime in years. I gave reCreators an honest try earlier this year because the concept looked interesting and a friend who saw the first couple episodes said it was promising. Neither of us finished, it degenerated into terrible melodramatic garbage. :saddowns:

watch concrete revolutio, its sort of like recreators in that a bunch of tropes come together only instead of being in service to dumb melodrama and a light novel author saving the world, its in service to a metaphor about japan's war history being insanely hosed up and bad

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
All of the anime vita developers are jumping to the switch. The anime is coming whether you like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I picked a bad time to return to this thread after leaving to avoid SMO spoilers.:v:

• Locked thread