Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pokemon Company strongly dislikes stuff like that so probably not.

There are plenty of Pokemon in Smash Bros, don't see why they'd trust Nintendo to use them for that but not for Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Steamworld 2 is making me feel bad because the challenges are way harder. I haven't been able to get the artifact from either Floor is Lava or the earlier one where you have to run/jump along a disintegrating platform.

Floor is Lava becomes trivial once you can fly indefinitely.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is necessary

(It really isn't)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lore spoiler
Also it's kind of hosed up that Hylia has, like, 100 Sheikah monks basically mummify themselves as part of these rituals to even provide you these spirit orbs. Like, every Shrine has a dead person in it, and they all seemingly willingly placed themselves where they are at, so the good guys of this game were sacrificing triple digits worth of people in the name of their Goddess.

Eh, that was done by Sheikah 10,000 years earlier, not by the Hylians.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The one thing that I wish they'd add, but don't expect them to, is the ability to boost forward when paragliding.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

No, that's exactly it for me. I don't like movement and the need to shake or move the controller at all as a main control annoys me.

:rolleyes:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

All I want is the Ace Attorney games that haven't been localized yet, but I know that's too much to hope for.

It's probably just going to be a port of the original trilogy, and then Apollo Justice/Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 13, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

I’m honestly pretty shocked at how bad this looks. Mario and Zelda look amazing with a lot more going on so didn’t think Rocket League would end up looking so awful.

Mario and Zelda don't get played online...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I updated, but no DLC 2 yet...

Edit: Oh, weird, I'd hit update and it had reset my Switch, but then not actually updated. That explains it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 8, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

if there's a switch release of the DS port of Chrono Trigger i will buy that poo poo in a heartbeat

I would too, even though I'd rather just about any other version. (Except for the Playstation one with its loading screens, oof.)

The needless retranslations suck, as do the new areas. But I'll take whatever Chrono Trigger I can get! And I guess the ability to turn Robo into a critical hit murder machine is nice, even though you have to suffer through really poorly designed new areas to get the stuff.

Now, if they release Chrono Cross... THAT will get me excited. I've considered buying a Vita just to play that game.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 12, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Woooo downloading Enter the Gungeon!

It's my most-played game on Steam, it's going to be weird playing it without the rear paddles of the Steam controller. But portable EtG! :D

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

E-Money posted:

let us know if it has gungeons and dragons on it? I can't figure out if it's out or still coming. Am gonna hold off on buying until it's available.

I'm pretty sure it isn't out yet, but I'll let you know if I see anything to the contrary.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

It is now that I can consistently shoot where I want to.
At first I was expecting a cardinal shooter like Isaac.

Fug.

I also recommend turning on the cursor option, it makes it way easier to keep track of where you're aiming. I'm not sure why it isn't on by default.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I also rebound my controls in Gungeon... shoot with ZR, dodge roll with ZL, switch weapons with L and R... makes a world of difference. I don't know how they settled on the terrible default control scheme that they did.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it compare to Isaac? I have so much to do in that game still that I’m kinda afraid of starting another game like it.

I love Isaac, but I've put more time into Gungeon than it on Steam. But YMMV, obviously. I'd say Gungeon is more difficult than Isaac.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Shitton of shovelware taking space of something wortwhile does actually hurt the sales of good games. Just look at steam and the endless garbage that's on it.

And as everybody knows, good games barely make any sales on Steam, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Frankston posted:

I doubt it but do Nintendo offer a steam-type refund deal where you can get a refund for games you have played for less than 2 hours? I got Enter the Gungeon and I just don't find it very fun at all (and it cramps the poo poo out of my left hand)

If you don't end up getting a refund, I highly recommend at least changing the controls. The default controls are terrible, it's much better with dodge roll and fire set to ZL and ZR. Also, turn the cursor on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

I just got Enter the Gungeon. I’ve put an hour or two into it. As far as I can tell it doesn’t have its own thread. Is there anything at all that ever carries over? Or is every run started fresh? I guess you’re just supposed to get better and the first few floors become trivial? Or am I missing something?

There are shops that you can unlock that will allow you to buy new weapons and items to add to the pool. Keep an eye out for rooms with jail cells. And you get credits that carry over from winning boss battles.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harrow posted:

Who's going to be the big "wait, what the gently caress" character announcement for the next Smash reveal trailer

Like Brawl hit us with Solid loving Snake in the reveal trailer, and Smash 4 had Mega Man. Who'd actually be a surprise at this point?

Master Chief

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kawabata posted:

so the nintendo port box switch is now really doomed

2018 is shaping up to be the year of ports, with no new release whatsoever: good job nintendo, always a disappointment

Mario Tennis isn't a port.

Edit: Upon reflection, I feel like Poe's Law may be relevant here.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 13, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zoran posted:

You must have misread, I’m the one saying it’s dumb to adhere to the corporate style guide.

So you say Pokemons?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The blood moon also respawns fruit in trees, weapons scattered throughout the world, things like that. So if you see a good weapon somewhere that isn't in a chest, take note of its location and go back after a blood moon.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have some weird sound thing going on with Doom. Sometimes it'll just get quiet. If I turn up the volume I can hear it a little, but then something will happen and it'll go back to normal. The volume of the regular Switch home menu is not effected at all during these times, if I hit the Home button while the game is quiet all the bloops on the menu are the right volume

Did you download the update? I'm pretty sure it includes a patch that is supposed to fix audio issues.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

njsykora posted:

Speaking of which, Crypt of the Necrodancer is coming out February 1st.

Yessss I was just scouring the internet for any updates about this yesterday! Can't wait to instabuy it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's 2018, Nintendo online still free.

Their online plan has been such garbage. I haven't bought Splatoon 2, ARMS, or Rocket League (or at least have not prioritized getting them), because I don't want to get any games that will one day be essentially unplayable without paying extra.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Manky posted:

And Switch has been the only console where you can play Rocket League online without paying anything extra, but yeah...better not do that because it'll some day cost a small annual fee that's like half of what MS or Sony charge!

MS gives 4 free games a month with theirs.

Nintendo can't even make My Nintendo's rewards not suck.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Why on earth do people call a feature included in a paid service "free"? Hey guys I got a free flight to San Antonio included with this plane ticket to San Antonio.

Because I was signed up for Xbox Live before Games with Gold existed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Manky posted:

So you pay more and get random garbage in exchange, word

lol...

Dude, it's been 4 free games a month for years. Yeah, lots of months it's garbage. But I've gotten a lot of great games that I never would have played or tried otherwise.

I've had fun with Sunset Overdrive, Lost Odyssey, Tomb Raider, various Assassin's Creed games, Street Fighter, XCOM, Dark Souls, Mirror's Edge, The Wolf Among Us, Hand of Fate, Back to the Future, Worms, Goat Simulator... are you gonna say all those games are garbage?

If Nintendo said you'd be getting all of those games free on Switch with the online service over the next couple of years, you'd all be freaking out.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

So again, you passed up ABSOLUTELY FREE (as in, you're not paying literally anything, compared to your "free" Games with Gold on XBone) online for multiple games because Nintendo's online plan "has been such garbage" even though they haven't revealed the details of the plan beyond very vague statements and assurances that it's going to be super cheap compared to Sony and Microsoft's online offerings?

Based on Nintendo's track record with online poo poo, do you really think I should have good faith in their vague plans? It was the voice communication app announcement that really killed my interest. Is anyone really gonna defend that bullshit?

Also, if you'll recall, their paid online was supposed to be enacted last fall. If they had said 2018 to begin with, I may have been more inclined to at least get this length of time with them.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

So again, you passed up ABSOLUTELY FREE (as in, you're not paying literally anything, compared to your "free" Games with Gold on XBone) online for multiple games because Nintendo's online plan "has been such garbage" even though they haven't revealed the details of the plan beyond very vague statements and assurances that it's going to be super cheap compared to Sony and Microsoft's online offerings?

And I passed them up for other games that didn't require that stuff. I've been having fun with BotW, Odyssey, Golf Story, DOOM, Stardew Valley, Worms, Overcooked, etc. I just didn't prioritize getting Splatoon, ARMS, or Rocket League (for a third time).

I mean, also, I hadn't played the first Splatoon and this thread was making GBS threads on ARMS a lot. That played into it too.

Basically, they already had an uphill battle in selling me on a franchise that I hadn't played whose spot is already kinda filled by Overwatch for me; ARMS, a game that was getting middling reviews; and a game that I like but already own. If their online system sounded more enticing/good overall, they might have made those sales. But I'm not sure I'll bother to add that additional monthly cost on top of XBL, Netflix, etc, at this point.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

It's an enticement to get you to sign up for a paid service. It's a cool perk and I've used it myself. But it is in no sense of the word "free". Netflix adding new shows doesn't make those shows "free" either.

Bonus, then. WHOOOO CAAAARES

I'm still paying the same as I did before I started to get those games, I'll keep on calling them free.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

You do, the doofus that is making GBS threads on the actually free service and defending the not actually free aspects of another service.

It's only free because Nintendo can't get their poo poo together with online stuff, though.

I'd rather pay for a robust, decent, time-tested online system than go in for a temporarily free one that sounds terrible and makes you use a cell phone app for chat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

OK, but they're not free, you're just paying for them in a different way.

As Croccers pointed out, it didn't effect the price of XBL.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

What's your point? You pay $10/mo or whatever and in return you get access to a few games a month and to their online service. They're giving you more for your money than they used to, sure, but it's still not free. MS and Sony pay the game devs for each download. No part of the transaction is free.

Well, tell it to Microsoft, they're able to advertise them as free.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weedle posted:

if it’s in an ad then it must be true

Report it as false advertising then.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Noctone posted:

Nintendo's online service would have to be extremely bad to not be worth $20/year. That's absolute loving peanuts.

I live in Canada, who knows how much they'll jack up the price here.

And it's not just a matter of measuring the price on its own merits, but whether it can be one MORE thing that I pay for.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weedle posted:

Yeah but then you’re not playing on the Nintendo Switch, God’s perfect console.

Until Rainway! :haw:

NOT

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Noctone posted:

Sorry you live in a third world country :(

Eh, it's a fair trade for health care.

Edit: I should have called it free health care to start the same argument all over again

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I'm beginning to half suspect (hope) that the delay and silence is part of a "Hey, the Switch has been very successful and we believe that the free online service has been partly responsible for that, so we would like to announce that online multiplayer will remain free but a premium service featuring cloud saves, a rotating game selection, and exclusive discounts will be available" change of heart.

This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They also are definitely going to have a classic games library you have access to ala Netflix, and probably other features. Maybe cloud saves or something

I still have my copy of GC Animal Crossing, I'm good for NES games.

• Locked thread