Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

did team cake forget to show up or what? almost every match I had was ice cream vs ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Minecraft on Switch is the best portable way to play the game, I'm not sure what upgraded assets you're talking about but it will be included in the cross platform multiplayer update

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Apparently the Switch version will be receiving the "Super Duper Graphics Pack"

Rendering lead Cameron Egbert: "It will be anywhere that you can play Minecraft in the new version. It will improve any screen on which you play"

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Quickly chiming in to say I also found Thimbleweed Park pretty underwhelming, it did get a few laughs out of me but I couldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't a die hard point and click adventure game fan

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

thoughts on the Mummy Demastered so far:
too many bats
cool music
has framerate issues pretty often
I think I'm stuck

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 25, 2017

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

you can enter the Odyssey through the pipe on the back :)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Traxis posted:

I want 3D Mario Maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZk4ggJkcc

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I like ARMS but the problem with all fighting games is they just make me want to play Smash Bros instead

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

There's also a rumour Namco is developing Metroid Prime 4, so far all we know is they have 3 Switch exclusives for 2018.. Ridge Racer's probably a safe bet for one of them

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

4k running on pc streamed to the switch by that app. basically a downsampling or whatever, i'm assuming that's how this poo poo works.
I remember reading that the Switch has the capability to stream 4K video, they said it could only handle it at 30fps though... I don't think Netflix or Rainway or any other video streaming platforms have said anything about 4K on switch, but it's technically possible

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Ventana posted:

Yeah, looking at Fed Force, it doesn't seem super terrible (probably better than Other M), but it was just an extremely unfortunate timing for the game considering the feelings of the metroid fanbase at the time.
I take every opportunity to sing the virtues of Federation Force, there aren't many first/third person shooters on 3DS but it's easily the best. There's some nice variety to the missions and being able to customize your mechs loadout helps to extend the replayability.
I never really got into Blast Ball and it didn't seem to be very popular online, I'm pretty sure how they first revealed the game as Blast Ball was the wrong move also. The chibi artstyle didn't help with the reveal either- it would have been much better received with an artstyle more in line with the rest of the Prime series, but it honestly wouldn't have played as well

Sure you don't play as Samus exploring an interconnected world gathering powerups, but it is a legitimate part of the Metroid Prime series and doesn't deserve to be ignored like Other M

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

picked up a Xenoblade Pro controller today, I don't love the pink but the dpad feels good with a proper central pivot and overall it feels fantastic.

Yooka-Laylee isn't very good

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Calaveron posted:

How long did it take you to realize that based on the design and positioning of the neon green highlights you're basically holding a facsimile of Pyra's breasts
I don't have Xenoblade so I'm just gonna pretend I don't understand what you're talking about :shobon:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

They apparently patched Rime to address some of the technical issues, can anyone comment on whether it makes much of an improvement?

also just bought Riptide GP for 50% off based on you guys' recommendation

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

does anyone know if the Mario Odyssey red joy-cons or the Arms yellow joy-cons have had the same desyinc issues as they neons and greys?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably less likely since they seemed to be aware of the issue soon after launch. Even if you do get one with issues, they’re very cool about replacing them quickly so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Spellman posted:

The right (?) Joy-Con is always poo poo, pink, yellow, red, sent to Nintendo or not. Supposedly it got better, but you can still intercept the signal with your hand past a certain distance

Don't expect a huge improvement, if any
Thanks for the answers, I haven't really used my joy-cons outside of handheld play since I got my Pro controller so I guess I'll just continue to wait and see if they ever fully iron out the issues

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I finished Fe the other day, and I enjoyed it enough to go back and find all the collectibles.
Very chill platformer with some light collectathon & metroidvania elements, really beautiful art and music conveys the atmosphere very well.

I think I might replay it one day because I'm still not exactly sure what was going on with the story and I suspect ending the game after 100%ing all the stuff may shed more light.

Also Rime just got a pretty substantial patch, I'm still curious about that game so maybe now's a good time to jump in
Here's the full list of changes:
    Increased visual fidelity, bloom and post-processing
    Sharpened image resolution
    Opening Cinematics visually improved
    Fixed possible stage exploits that would enable players to skip parts of the stages
    Increased texture quality in specific areas
    Increased view distance
    Fixed an issue with foliage density, shadows, and render distances
    Updated texture mipmaps for the Fox
    Improved global mipmaps
    Improved shadow distance and quality
    Fixed instances of foliage pops
    Stabilized FPS
    Optimized the Boys cape and hair physics
    Rebuilt streaming volumes
    Fixed an issue that allowed you to see outside of the map in later stages
    Updated lighting to prevent bleed through
    Updated the quality of trees in earlier stages where they would display poorly
Sounds like they put some major effort in at the very least

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hot drat, DooM got gyro aiming.
:stare: I just went and bought DOOM straight away

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I enjoyed Fe quite a bit but it probably won't last you a week and a half

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

more cool games coming to the cool system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNszr9h5Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYUgqBhN3o
very cool

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome, tons of updates/patches lately!

I wonder if they fixed any glitches...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

Here’s a list maybe a lot of people can agree on based on chat from this thread. In no particular order within their respective categories:

Top of the Heap
-Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Celeste
-Splatoon 2

Generally Well-Regarded
-Bayonetta 1&2
-Rocket League
-Stardew Valley
-Puyo Puyo Tetris
-Snipperclips
-Mario Kart 8 DX
-Golf Story
-Mario + Rabbids
-Shovel Knight

Good if you’re Into It
-Sonic Mania
-Pokken DX
-DOOM
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-ARMS
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-The Binding of Isaac
-Enter the Gungeon
-The End is Nigh
-Tumbleseed
-Night in the Woods
-Namco Museum
-Skyrim
-Dragon Quest Builders
-Disgaea 5
-Minecraft

+ FAST rmx :colbert:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just occurred to me but when the joycons are attached are they transmitting wired in some way or still Bluetooth?
the only way to play with flightmode enabled is with the joycons attached, so I guess they're using some kind of near field communications

edit-
:suicide:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Doom 3 is a pretty alright game, it just doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the series

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Sean posted:

Re: Doom 3 chat. What are the goon feels for the Doom game actually on the Switch?
I went and bought it as soon ad the gyro update was out- the only reason I didn't buy it at release was due to the lack of gyro aiming.
I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I thought 30fps would bother me but it's really not an issue and the motion blur helps too. I've only noticed a few framerate drops during the most hectic fights so far and it's barely worth mentioning.
I've been playing it on handheld at work a bit too, being able to play this game on a portable feels like actual witchcraft

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

OwlBoy was alright, the pixel art and music are definitely the best things about the game. But yeah, the controls can be pretty frustrating at times

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I did a quick and dirty edit to remove the logos so I could use it as my desktop wallpaper

just in case anyone else wants it

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

the Galactic Federation fights a giant Samus in Federation Force :shobon:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

whaley posted:

Wish I could find some concrete information on which pro controller models have the improved d-pads
The Xenoblade pro controller dpad feels much better than the plain pro controller, here's a video where both controllers get disassembled and dpads compared

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just finished RIME.

I bought the game after hearing about the latest patch, they really did a lot to improve the resolution and frame-rate among other things, unfortunately it's still not perfect- the frame-rate can chug pretty badly when you're loading new areas I also noticed some weird stuff like rocks glowing pure white, and parts of the environment disappearing when I put the camera at specific angles.
But the game does run smoothly most of the time and some parts are really beautiful.

If anyone's still thinking about it, I would say the game now runs well enough that I can recommend it

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

What I imagine is we'll get modular updates, joycons with a proper dpad or analogue triggers, a dock that has some computing power to boost performance, a switch screen with a better battery or kickstand etc

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The "Switch rewards coming soon" button just quietly disappeared too and no one seems to have noticed

I guess this is the Switch Rewards solution... but I thought we'd get the same discount deals they still offer for 3DS/WiiU

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 7, 2018

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I thought for a second maybe it was gonna be a Splatoon spinoff for 3DS, but then I noticed the animation was so good that it had to be Smash Bros

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

There were very significant mechanical changes between prior Smash Bros games. They were all but remade from scratch, even the characters who remained the most similar.
I thought Smash 4 was built off the Brawl engine?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just noticed 5.0 updated the Controllers Menu too, it now recognizes my Xenoblade Pro controller and represents the colours on screen :)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I enjoyed Mummy Demastered but didn't find it difficult. Maybe cause I played post patch. I only died to one boss twice and another later boss once. All of those times I closed the game and save scummed though so I wouldn't have to deal with the zombie mechanic. Got like 98% map and 93% items
I played it before the patch dropped and the only problems I had with it were the respawning bats and the framerate would turn to poo poo after playing more than an hour or so, both of which were addressed in the patch.
I checked the game out again after the patch and I can confirm the final boss is a lot easier, before I would use almost all my ammo to defeat it and now it's about half. And I second what Ohvee said, the game has a really cool soundtrack.

I quite enjoyed Night in the Woods too, there's not much going on gameplay-wise but the characters and dialogue are the main draw.

If I were to pick one eshop game it would have to be FAST RMX, I've put in over 100 hours and I still enjoy racing online, especially after I get fed up with the randomness of Mario Kart
Honourable mention goes to Snake Pass, such a unique game and I really loved playing it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Laserface posted:

Fast RMX rumble is garbage. its the same frequency/sequence or I guess 'melody' regardless of what is actually happening in the game. I say melody because it makes my controller obviously hum, and it sounds exactly the same every single time. Mario Kart is OK, and I imagine all the first party stuff uses it well.

I turned off rumble on my xbox one at the OS level when I got it and have never missed it.
no.

The use of HD rumble in fast RMX corresponds to what side of your vehicle scrapes a wall or crashes into something, I think I remember them saying they used the sound of each vehicle's engine to generate a subtle rumble too.
You definitely need to lower the HD rumble settings in the game though, it's ridiculous at the max option.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Guys I had a dream last night that Nintendo's entire e3 presentation video got leaked

The only part I remember was they added Lanky Mario Odyssey DLC and you got one of the moons by slowly walking on a cats back to give it a massage

you heard it here first folks

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty solid E3 for me, I love Smash Bros so I'm not bothered most of their showing focused on it- plus Ridley finally made the cut!
Glad to finally play Hollow Knight too, didn't cost as much as I expected either. Fortnite is neat but I can't play it until they add gyro aiming :x

Splatoon 2 DLC is cool too, looking forward to jumping into that, and that Daemon X Machina game looked like it might be interesting

If they had shown Animal Crossing or Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Prime Trilogy HD I would have lost my poo poo completely though
I dunno I'd probably give it like a 7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I finished Hollow Knight last night after 36 hours and with 96% completion, I enjoyed it a lot and couldn't pull myself away at times.
One thing I still want to do is collect enough Essence to power up the dream nail, but I've already found all the whispering roots- so I'm not really sure how to collect more Essence apart from the occasional enemy giving one

• Locked thread