Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I mostly play it docked, but sometimes it just feels like less hassle to play some Mario Kart in handheld mode without messing with the TV. Also I've actually had occasion to play multiplayer tabletop mode a few times :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
XCX's world was really pretty. :shrug: Also the Skells were cool in a model kit sort of way, but they really ruined the difficulty curve and weren't as fun to fight in as on-foot fighting was. Jeez though, once you reach the point in the game where you have to fly everywhere to find new stuff or just to cover distance quickly the flying music was constant spirit-withering teeth grinding bullshit. The game would have been like at least 25% better if the sound options included a way to turn it off.

VVedit: I didn't mind the town music, day or night but the flying track ughhhh

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Breath of the Wild should get a DLC where you can just climb around and paraglide and kill Moblins n' stuff on XCX's map. That would pretty much be all the really good parts of XCX with none of the bad.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Cashed in my jar o' coins and pre-ordered Splatoon 2 with it, like hell I'm eating the 10% coinstar usage fee give me the gift card :colbert:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well I can tell you it's going to get bad reviews. Every reviewer has made it clear how much they hate the idea of the mobile app and I think it'll knock a full two or three points off on average.

Well they aren't wrong, the mobile app is a really bad idea.

edit: Not really fair to the game either, but eh

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

never listen to game critics that do not have an interest in the genre of game they play. if you get a guy who has never been a fan of side scrolling beat-em-ups to play Double Dragon Neon, chances are he's not going to like it, and will not give it a good review. Give a harvest moon fan stardew valley, and they'll spam the switch thread with "STARDEW WHEN"

what im trying to say is, for the love of poo poo please port Blazblue x persona 4 arena to the switch i need it

Oh please yes. It might actually happen too, aside from 'a Blazblue' being confirmed, Mori seems pretty excited for the Switch. I hope Centralfiction comes first though.

edit: Continuum Shift 2 was surprisingly good on the 3DS. I mean the controls for it sucked since all fighters are hard to play on the 3DS, but that didn't keep abyss mode from being fun.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 18, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I seriously suck at Splatoon. :psyduck: Lot's of fun though

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I played Bomberman on my roommates' brothers Switch when he came down a few months ago. It's bomberman. If you like bomberman, you'll like it as much as any other bomberman. It's definitely not worth anywhere close $50 though. Half that maybe.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Sonic Mania comes out on all consoles including the Switch on the 15th. At $20 I'm gonna be getting that for sure

edit: In case anyone forgot Mania is the 2d genesis-like title, not the 3d one that's probably going to be bad

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

a.lo posted:

probably fire emblem warriors?

I hope so, because Mario is coming in October and I don't think it'll come as late as November.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Has it been known that FE Warriors was coming out on 9/28 in Japan? I thought it was still just 'Fall' for all regions.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 9, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The reviews are definitely promising, it's already looking like it's probably the best Sonic game in well over a decade.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm probably gonna give Rabbids a skip (looks good though), but that means I'm probably not buying any other games for Switch until October. I wish FE Warriors was September, late October is gonna be rubbin' up against Mario

edit: I'll probably play FE Warriors more in the long run if it's got half the content Hyrule Warriors did.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zelder posted:

FE Warriors will be amazing if you like dynasty warrior games but it's not gonna reach full potential until they drop the Ike Dlc (for like 16 bucks most likely)

I'm absolutely expecting them to release at least 4 dlcs packs with each one focusing on a different older game. I hope they don't skimp, Hyrule Warriors had way better value for it's dlc than I expect from any game.

I'm kind of glad I skipped ARMS, but Splatoon 2 is really good. I just don't want to play it as much as the game wants me to play it :kiddo:

^^edit: Yeah Hyrule Warriors' giant bosses sucked, but I don't think FE Warriors will have those. Maybe an evil dragon for the final boss or something but that's about all I can think of.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 3, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Doom and Wolfenstein is a great surprise, I've somehow managed to avoid playing doom so far because I've always been into something else when it goes on sale. This will be a good opportunity.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
With the addition of Doom I'm gonna have 6 or 7 physical games for my switch this year, as optimistic as I've been about the console that's a whole lot better than I expected.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fire Emblem Warriors has a few things on Hyrule Warriors I think, if you played that.

-Fire Emblem Warriors doesn't have big boss enemies like Hyrule Warriors did. For me this is a plus, they got to be really tedious HP sponges eventually.
-Sort of related, but there's no bombs/bows/hookshots or whatever. Different classes of characters have different kinds of utility, like being able to heal allies or cross over gaps or whatever. It fit's well in the context of a warriors game thats trying to incorporate more stretegy elements.
- The Ally AI is surprisingly good, if you order your ally to go somewhere to do a job, you can count on them doing it without any hangups. Unless you told them to do something dumb. You can get really specific with issuing orders too, like "Pair up with X" or "Guard X", "Attack X". You can switch over to them at any time to take control too. This is probably my favorite thing about this game specifically among musou games. It makes managing goals on opposite sides of the map easy and fun.

If you've played any warriors, then it's a really good warriors game. I won't say it's the best tut the flow is better than Hyrule Warriors and I like it more than the last few musous I've played so... :confused:
If you haven't played a warriors game and the idea of running around a battlefield managing troop movements, taking goals, and hacking hundreds of dudes to bits sounds like fun, at least give it a rent. You should be able to find out pretty quickly if it's something you're interested in.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It is good, the complaints I have with it dont really stop it from being good, they just stop it from being what it could have been

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The animal crossing mobile game looks surprisingly good, I'll give it a try at least.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Pocket Camp looks great, I am excited for this title. It's just New Leaf condensed into a mobile game which is perfect.

That's what really gets me about it, it looks more or less like any other animal crossing game I've played.

edit: I still want animal crossing for switch though

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 25, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
omg yesssss. I feel so spoiled, Warriors and Mario come out within a week of my birthday, doom next month are you friggin kidding me

edit: Because games you have to pay upfront to play don't sell and f2p does, on mobile at least. It's lovely, but eh. It's not gacha at least.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 25, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just played through a map on FE Warriors History mode using a gamecube controller and aside from not knowing where how to activate Awakening it worked fine. I guess I don't need to get a second set of joycons for 2p afterall.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I only played Mario for a couple hours last night, It's a seriously amazing game. Between this and Warriors I'm gonna be pretty much set for the rest of the year (not to mention Zelda dlc), but I'm still probably gonna pick up another couple games anyway. The Switch is well on it's way to being one of my favorite consoles ever.

Also Stardew fffffffff

edit: Mario is my first time really feeling the HD rumble, and it's really good?? Also the motion controls feel really responsive, I like being able to do serious business Cap-Jutsu by doing my best DBZ moves irl

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mario Odyssey is seriously great, and I'm glad I've got a bunch of games for the switch I want to jump around between now, my switch hasn't gotten this much use since the height of my Zelda fugue

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I don't think Odyssey is so much easy as there just aren't any real consequences to dying. 10 coins is like nothing, and you don't get sent back super far.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I like it. I still get the sting of failing because the game gives the theatre of me being a FAILURE while not penalizing you with something dumb and unnecessarily annoying/tedious that adds nothing to the experience

Oh yeah, me too. I'm just saying that it makes it feel easy when really it's just low pressure. All the ways I've died would have sent me to the game over screen on SM64 a bunch of times.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I never thought there would be a Mario game where the ending is comparable to the ending of Halo 1

That's exactly what I was thinking when I rolled through the ending. This game came at me with the nostalgia from weird directions

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Every time I hear about EA doing anything these days it's always something dumb and bad. I don't even care about Mass Effect anymore since I'm not confident they can make another good one.

Also Battlefield I guess, but not enough to shell out fifty bucks up front for DLC

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really like the joycons, in grip mode, hands mode, or separate they feel good. It didn't take long to get used to the separate control set up for mario

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I liked the little bit that I played of Xenoblade and i played through XCX twice, but something about the gameplay they've shown for XB2 kinda looks... boring to me? I guess I'll probably watch the direct. Theoretically this is a game I should be excited for but right now I'm all about Mario and Warriors and I'm thinking about Doom.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really don't like that blade system, it looks really stupid having your cool anime friendo just standing back and sending you good vibes.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Playing XC1 a 'little bit' but finishing XCX twice is, like, the opposite of everyone else on the planet's experience with those two games.

Yeah I know. I started xb1, lent it to a friend because I got distracted by something and never finished it. I accidentally deleted my save for xcx moving files around and replayed it to do the post game stuff... which I never got around to anyway. :shrug:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
There's nothing wrong with big tiddies but yeah cheesecake is cheesecake

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't watched a good anime in years. I gave reCreators an honest try earlier this year because the concept looked interesting and a friend who saw the first couple episodes said it was promising. Neither of us finished, it degenerated into terrible melodramatic garbage. :saddowns:

Edit: it was also the only thing that looked promising and welp

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

then watch euphonium season 1.

also mmo junkie is airing this season so its not done yet but its a cute show about adult characters with fairly relatable issues 'n all.

also a kaiji game would be good only if you had to hold one of the joycons up to your ear to simulate a drill being placed against your eardrum

watch concrete revolutio, its sort of like recreators in that a bunch of tropes come together only instead of being in service to dumb melodrama and a light novel author saving the world, its in service to a metaphor about japan's war history being insanely hosed up and bad

Alright, I'll give that a peek later

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm really excited for Blazblue Crosstag coming to the Switch. It'd be cool if they made a crazy anime Mario for it, he can deploy and recall cappy in 8 directions as his drive and has an infinite jump loop in the corner that looks pretty much like jump chains in the rpgs :black101:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really did like the exploration aspect of XCX, and messing around with mining/research probes was weirdly engaging. That was probably one of the best uses for the gamepad I saw on the Wii U. It fell short in so many other ways though, it really needed to actually be an MMO or be a more tightly focused single player game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I've taken more photos in Super Mario Odyssey than real ones all year :psyduck:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Kind of wanting a second dock now. Should I just bite the bullet and get the Nintendo official one? I've seen ones on Amazon used for $75 w/ tax and shipping, or just spend $20 more and get it new.

I have read bad things about the 3rd party docks with the latest software updates, with the dock not working and having to disconnect and plug in the HDMI cable. I'd rather not have to deal with someone else messing with that and prefer it just work. But man... $90 is a bit much

Part of me thinks that the prices for the dock and the controllers were set assuming the Switch wasn't going to do nearly as well as it did. Hd rumble or no HD rumble the cost of official peripherals for the Switch is still pretty unreasonable, It's my only complaint with the system. Thank god for that boner with the gamecube adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I knew people loved the GameCube controller but I never knew how much!

I actually don't have any special love for the gamecube controller, although I don't dislike it either. Either way I've still got loads of them, I have friends with loads of them, and unless you're playing a twinstick shooter they're still perfectly fine as a multiplayer controller for pretty much anything. I'm just worried they'll remove it :ohdear:

edit: oh wow :doh:

edit2: The Switch is a plot by Nintendo to deplete the supply of gamecube controllers in the wild and make the smash community their thrall :tinfoil: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 6, 2017

• Locked thread