Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

Oh yah, this one is fantastic. The only bad part is the game has little faith in the player and constantly slams you with tutorials

I never even finished it because after what felt like 30 hours of tutorials, the game was still interrupting the gameplay with tutorials every 5 minutes. I just kinda lost interest :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Remake SMRPG but it's in the Dark Souls engine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:tviv:

Mario Tennis is my most anticipated anime of 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Also playable Chain Chomp is loving great.

it's so adorable

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played an ungodly amount of Mario Tennis on the N64 and the GBC as a kid, I am so ridiculously hyped for this mario SPORTZ game that I can't contain myself

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

What if I told you they were holding a network stress test and you could trial out MTA for free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDoSQPcxVLo

You can download the stress test from the 25th
From June 1st to June 3rd you can jump online and play to your hearts delight

me: :stoked:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really want Octopath Traveler to be good but man am I put off by the ridiculously heavy-handed post-FX :barf:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 90% sure the demo didn't have any such options. I was hoping to ask for it in the developer feedback thing but then I forgot about it.

It's just so over the top. It doesn't help that some of the menus and stuff also look pretty bad (reminds me of the horrible Final Fantasy mobile ports) which just makes the game aesthetically feel very... off to me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pokémon but it's in the Dark Souls engine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just wish Octopath didn't do that lovely fuckin' trope with the female :airquote:dancer:airquote: who :airquote:charms:airquote: people

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can never remember its name but I liked the new eeveelution that was pink and cute and had ribbons made from its own flesh

e: and the adorable soulless eyes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the names just make me think "Pokémon spin-off" but I guess that's just me

Sam Faust posted:

This Pikachu/Eevee debate is heavily dependent on whether or not alolan Raichu is on the table. If not, then it's no contest. The fairy evolution with the creepy flesh ribbons wins out easily. If so, then it could go either way.

:hai:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
didn't they already remake red/blue

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

if there are no other pokemon then who will ditto transform into

it will finally be allowed to be itself :unsmith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

So Diddy Kong Racing, but Star Fox? :nyoron:

Guess that makes sense as they don't have access to the DKR license

I've never been into Star Fox but DKR is extremely cool and good so if this is anything like it I say heck :yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A Link's Awakening remake is never happening so this is obviously fake

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

(check out the mustache on the harpist)

I've seen that guy before

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

They've trademarked a lot of names they didn't end up using. Like Pokemon Brown, Grey, Scarlet, Purple, White Gold, Topaz etc have all been trademarked for 5+ years and never used.

I can't believe they never released Pokémon Brown

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Monster Hunter world is not open world :psyduck:

but Monster Hunter x Pokémon (Pocket Monster Hunter?) would be pretty gnarly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the gods know what you've done

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

I played it for a good long while but quit when a key NPC to the quest for the fanciest house got killed by a dragon 10 hours before I started the house quest, rendering it unfinishable.

I don't understand why anyone would ever play a Bethesda game on anything other than PC. I love those games to death but I sometimes have to break out the tcl several times per session. Without console commands, how are people dealing with all the gamebreaking poo poo in these games? :confused:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Hyrule Warriors is really fun once you start thinking of it as a puzzle game where you're trying to figure out the strategy that will get you through in time to make an A-rank.

This is actually my problem with it :negative: I'm super duper bad at strategy. The game has so many things yelling at you at once and my lizard brain just shuts down. How am I supposed to defend all of these forts, keep all of these idiots alive, defeat baddies and probably 8 other things all at once? :negative:

I'm so aggressively bad at the games that I can't chill out and play them, which is all I want to do. Like an enormous idiot I bought it for both the Wii U and the 3ds and part of me wants to give it a third attempt on the Switch...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I had to make one complaint about Hyrule Warriors it's that they gave teen bird girl, the best character, the worst most ear-piercing voiceclips and it makes me sad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m playing Hyrule Warriors on my Switch. It’s so good.

Everyone should be playing it too.

I already bought it for the Wii U and the 3ds :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am so happy a billion more people get to experience Captain Toad.

it's me, I'm the person who still hasn't experienced Captain Toad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've only heard the fan on my Switch a few times, presumably when it's going full speed. The first time really caught me off guard, I just couldn't figure out where that sound was coming from. Was it my computer? Is my neighbor vacuuming? It took me a while before I realized the sound was coming from right in front of my face :cripes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

maybe I am just sensitive to the sound. I haven't had a console since the PS2, and I'm spoiled by the sound-dampened fractal case on my computer, so fan noises are foreign to me.
Have you ever heard a PS4? I imagine you would've loved that one :pram:

Legitimately frightened me when I got it (second hand) and booted it up, I thought the thing was gonna explode. It's literally louder than my vacuum cleaner. Some have likened it to a jet plane taking off.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh... if I'm gonna be an idiot and buy Hyrule Warriors for the third time, I need some advice.

I think my biggest obstacle to truly enjoying the game was that it always constantly felt like I was losing. Fort is falling, captain is dying, a strong foe appears, another fort needs your help, the enemy is attacking our main base, just a constant stream of poo poo going south everywhere on the map at once. Where do you even start, what do you do? :( I just felt like whenever I did something good like taking a fort, another fort had already fallen or something even worse was happening in the meantime. I would help one character and then another would be in trouble on the other side of the map. It doesn't help that the game constantly bombards you with messages and it's hard to filter the important stuff out, but even then I'm bad at prioritizing.

I just want to have fun beating mooks up with my cool Zelda characters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like that’s part of the game’s design on purpose.
That's not what I wanted to hear :smith: Surely people who are good at these games feel at least some sort of mastery right? It feels like the type of game that should be really cathartic to play, which is the stage I'd love to get to but at my current skill level it feels like juggling cats.

e: also I'm sure it's obvious but it's the first musou game I've played (or even seen played)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 18, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whenever I hear the name Linkle I can't help but think of

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

Are you playing on hard mode? It's fine to start on normal mode but the difficulties in that game are really just "enemies have more health and hit harder." so it's totally fine to play on easy to get through the main story and then dive into the adventure maps where there isn't a difficulty option.

I bring up difficulty because you might be getting overwhelmed if you're killing things slowly which would make sense if you're playing on a higher difficulty.

I'm pretty sure I played them on Easy :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How does Hyrule Warriors run in handheld mode? I know it's supposed to be lower res and lower frame rate, but is it at least consistent? I still haven't plugged my Switch into a TV.

Also what's the deal with games running worse in handheld anyway? I can understand the lower resolution (smaller screen) but why do many games halve the fps in handheld mode? Save battery life? If so it should run in 60 if I plug in the charger while playing too damnit :( I just want to lie in bed and play my Switch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In handheld mode they cut the GPU clock in half (not exactly half, it's running at a little more than half I think) primarily for battery reasons, but also the console could get hot and uncomfortable. They also can run the fan faster when docked because noise is less of a concern. They don't need as much GPU because max resolution in handheld is 720p of course.

I think the reason they don't up the clock in handheld if you are charging is because then developers would have to program in three different modes into every game instead of two, the fan would be too noisy, console too warm.

Eh, those are all actually good points :(

I guess even the Switch can't be perfect (only nearly perfect)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hyrule warriors runs like rear end in hand held mode.

And I just decided I'd buy it for the third time :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Sorry. I assumed it had one like Fire Emblem did but apparently that's not the case.

Hopefully they patch one in.

You got my hopes up :negative:

Did the FE Warriors game run better in handheld?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

I’ve never noticed a quality change other than resolution. Figured it handled it really well...

What does it do? Limit cpu/flops or something?

apparently cuts the GPU clock

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In handheld mode they cut the GPU clock in half (not exactly half, it's running at a little more than half I think) primarily for battery reasons, but also the console could get hot and uncomfortable. They also can run the fan faster when docked because noise is less of a concern. They don't need as much GPU because max resolution in handheld is 720p of course.

I think the reason they don't up the clock in handheld if you are charging is because then developers would have to program in three different modes into every game instead of two, the fan would be too noisy, console too warm.

I don't mind the resolution downgrade but it sucks so bad when games run like poo poo in handheld since that's the entire reason I got a Switch :qq:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To put it into perspective how bad I am at this game, I failed the sixth main story mission (Lake Hylia) on Easy.

Twice. :suicide:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Make use of the mid mission saves when things are going well

things are never going well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has there been a let's play or something of Hyrule Warriors (that's worth watching)? I think it would be interesting to see how other, presumably better players approach the game.

I find myself stressing the gently caress out while playing it which is probably why I lost interest earlier. Everything's constantly go go go go go and since I have no grip on what's going to make me fail and what isn't, I run around like a headless chicken.

• Locked thread