Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

japtor posted:

It's a bit more nuanced than that cause the Switch itself not being compliant. The problem seems to be that it negotiates at .5A then proceeds to draw 1.5A, if the charger isn't expecting that or can't output that at whatever voltage profile it negotiated at it can overload the charger. (Those two appear to be fine, albeit not enough if anyone wanted a portable dock power setup cause they only do 15V/2A when it seems like the 15V/3A profile is needed for the dock).

Iirc that only applies to chargers that support new standards for negotiating multiple type-C outputs. The dude that found out it's non-compliant did it with a custom testing circuit, I don't think there are any chargers out there that would actually risk being overloaded

It's kind of impressive that the internet hasn't afaik managed to burn a Switch while charging yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Really, joycon docks should be on every keyboard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dizz posted:

Is there anywhere to even but replacement parts yet? I think I might want to replace a few of these if possible, but I have no idea where to buy tiny screws.

one of these should fit I think

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dizz posted:

I don't have a good measure but I used a ruler and these screws were almost half a centimeter so I guess it was a 4mm screw in length? Sorry I don't have anything to compare it with as a regular dime was still way big for it. Also it's a low profile screw.

Also the screw is for an inside part of the joycon. it holds the main board with the buttons.

I am most likely considering just getting a giant set of screws for glasses on amazon and trying my luck but it feels like such a waste.

Also I was hoping Ebay would have sellers selling dead Joycons but also no luck.

Measure it with a caliper? :shrug:

Screw dimensions are pretty standardized, I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't use the standardest of standard screws to keep their silicon in place.

e: try scavenging an old laptop, keyboard, mouse or similar

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 12, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

Sucks because like half of the good 64 games are RAREWARE.

NES mini: 30 games
SNES mini: 21 games
N64 mini: 12 games

Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Zelda
Zelda
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Wave race 64
Pilotwings 64
Excitebike 64
Starcraft 64
Dr. Mario 64
Mario Party
One of either Star fox/Ogre Battle/F-Zero/Mario kart
+1 = Doshin the giant

Really though it'll never happen because n64 emulation is legit hard.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Infinitum posted:

I'm hoping the compromise will be RARE Replay ported to Switch, while the N64 Mini will be RAREless

Maybe Nintendo will buy Rare back from MS. Do they even do games with it anymore?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kurtofan posted:

no buck bumble? get the heck outta here

We all have to sacrifice something to get that list plausible :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

NewFatMike posted:

If we get Motherbounds and Destiny 2 for Switch, I will simply burn down all my other consoles because the perfect console keeps getting better

Why do people think dumb thoughts?

We're not even getting monster hunter

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm not gonna stay up 'til midnight to not hear about [my favorite game]

Direct live streams should air at the same local time everywhere :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

beergod posted:

Yo can you just link to a good bank on amazon because I'm a total loving idiot

I think this one is popular/good

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You only need an expensive PD-enabled power bank to charge the Switch quickly/while playing. You can trickle charge it with pretty much any USB power bank/female port, if you're charging overnight or whatever

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just bought this a few minutes ago. Seems to hit all the marks for charging the Switch properly even while playing. Can be had for 64 bucks before tax if you click the promotion link under the price.

$64 is pretty cheap for eight 3350 mAh cells with a good charging/protection IC

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Why are they still doing 3ds games though, I just can't go back to that aliasing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's kind of crazy the Switch is still in launch year and I already have a bunch of amazing games for it yet there's still more loving coming. I usually have buyers remorse the first year of any console I get at launch typically but with the Switch I can't sop buying carts every month to put into my mouth

Signs of impending doom

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Octopath tickles me just right; I tend to hate faux-retro aesthetics but it manages to really look fantastic. I like how it carries itself overall. Also, I guess we're to the point with JRPGs that I was actually pretty surprised it has full on random encounters in the field instead of dudes wandering around that you run into to engage.

Goddamn your av in my field of vision is loving triggering

i'm damaged

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't buy it if you plan to use it while flying because I'm pretty sure that thing is well over what TSA allows on planes.

26800 mAh at 3.7v adds up to 99.1 Wh, limit is at 100 :mrgw:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'll purchase stardew valley for my nintendo switch and play it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Unsung Story aka Undeveloped Kickstarter game #1,395 has been announced for switch plus ps4, bone

it's got a new developer that has released bad games, so it's probably going to finally get released and be bad

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
dunno about this icon tbf

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Is stardew difficult? Im generally bad at planning/strategy games + I've also got a 10yr old sister who plays the switch with me

Edit: the thought of running a successful fantasy farm is too much pressure for me im gonna walk into the wheat thresher

it's literally chill, the game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I can't believe I'll have to wait another year for the Switch Pro 10" monster with 64GB internal storage

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tales of Woe posted:

BotW's music is really good. Hateno village is my favorite town theme in the entire zelda series and same with Vah Ruta for dungeon theme. people who dont like it because they wanted to listen to the zelda theme blaring in the overworld for 100 hours are insane.

Shrine music is best imo

e: well, not best maybe, but real chill and awesome

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
With all the games happening this year, are there any good ones confirmed to be released next year?

I want some good stuff for switchmas (early March)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I kind of miss the doom and gloom posts from a year ago

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
When do we get odyssey reviews

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Why the hell is there still no review

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

lelandjs posted:

I don't think that "reviewer" actually played the game.

I'm pretty sure he actually did

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

rear end cobra posted:

Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence. Unless Cappy brainwashed you. In that case, you are a satisfied zombie customer now. No, seriously, only a zombie would find a healthy challenge in this pleasant but disappointingly easy Super Mario Walk-in-the-park. Sorry - Odyssey.

:rolleyes:

bet it'll net them a lot of clicks tho

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:thunk:

ok I'll buy it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

lowest scores:

I sure do hope that Mr. 75/100 did the full 100% of the game and is underwhelmed by that, and isn't literally complaining about a game for children being easy to get through

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Some big names still unscored

Will it climb up to 98, or will Jim gently caress this up again???

And yes, this question is absolutely vital to my enjoyment of the game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wow, those reviews. Two games getting some of the best reviews of any game in the first year of a new console is pretty loving good.

We'll look back on this as the start of the Switch's long, slow decline

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
They should have just made Mario a girl

they could have named her.... Mariola

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Trivia:

in Swedish, 'super' is present indicative of the verb 'booze'. Mario super is something like 'Mario's boozing'.

Super Mario turns the statement into a question (sort of like in archaic English, in things like speaketh thou of yonder menace? ), so it means 'is Mario boozing?'

(i'm stuck at work with no mario for like seven hours)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Imagine being so coddled that knowing how long a game is can upset you :allears:

name/post combo fail

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hmm?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

So many unsold Switch games, clearly Nintendo has failed again

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

IMO a Pro Controller is worth it just for being able to leave it connected to a cable all the time so you don't have to worry about battery life.

This is the weirdest post

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Argue posted:

I love BOTW and it's easily still GOTY for me but I get the sense that like Mario 64, it's going to be one of those games that won't age well as Nintendo (and others) refines the gameplay concept down to the things that work, and more people become aware of the problems the original has. I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64.

no, wait

This is the weirdest post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Andrast posted:

I don't really see what is that weird about it

Try saying "I'm pretty excited for the hypothetical Zelda game 10 years from now which will be to BOTW what Mario Odyssey is to Mario 64" in front of a mirror without punching yourself in the face repeatedly

• Locked thread