Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks, simple question here but I couldn't really find an answer. I want to buy my brother a game for his Switch, am I able to digitally gift games to him? He prefers the digital copies, so I'm only being partially lazy here.

Thanks!

AFAIK there's nothing like Steam gifting, but you can just buy a digital code on amazon or wherever and send the code to him just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
If Waluigi is playable in Mario + Rabbids I don't care how many Rabbids are in it, I'm buying it. I know there's a Waluigi and Wario Rabbid boss fight, but is my boy Waluigi playable?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Manky posted:

It's semi-restricted. You can only party up to queue with players on your platform, but you can matchmake and private lobby with PC and Xbone players.

Also to be clear, this is how it is on every platform.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
"One more thing..." :getin:

"Mario Odyssey" :oh:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

BotW is the biggest selling Zelda title in years they're not gonna put back in the stuff I liked like actual dungeons and a sense of progression because that'll gently caress with the open world thing that everyone else liked.

Man I really hope you're wrong, because I love BotW as just a generic open-world game that heavily encouraged exploration and puzzle-solving and stuff, but MAN when it tried to be an actual Zelda game? (I.e. the dungeons and bosses and getting fancy new gadgets and upgrades and stuff from sidequests) It kinda...felt a little lackluster?

There got to be a point where I had no reason to do any sidequests anymore other than "to do more sidequests" because every reward they gave you was temporary. Weapons, materials, food, rupees, etc. the only permanent upgrades you ever get outside of stamina/hearts (which is entirely tied to shrines and nothing else) are clothing sets that have passive bonuses. Even the sidequests involving dropping dragon scales into the fountains of power/wisdom/courage just give you an elemental weapon (which will break eventually) and a shrine. It's like if every sidequest in OoT or Majora's Mask just gave you a blue potion as a reward instead of a mask, or an upgraded sword, or anything that wouldn't be gone five minutes later.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
To the people confused about spelling Ganon with two vs. one "N" a page or so back -- it's how you'd write it if you translated his name from Japanese. Japanese doesn't have a way of writing something like "Ganon" without it sounding really weird since it'd be ga-no-n, the first "N" sound in gan-non wouldn't be there, so iirc Ganon in Japanese is written as Gannon, but the double-n is unnecessary when writing it in not-Japanese.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

aware of dog posted:

That's not right, Ganon in Japanese is written as ガノン [ga-no-n]

Oh okay, I have no idea then :v:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

I'm kinda like that with most Mario games, like I know they'll be fun but I don't really read previews/watch videos and get hyped for them. They just come out and I buy them and they're really loving awesome.

Yeah, :same:

Mario games are pretty consistently good at worst, so I never feel particularly hype about new ones, but I'll still get it eventually and it'll be great.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

You know what would really seal the deal for the Switch? Release a really excellent Mario Party game. I know you can do it Nintendo.

I'm honestly not sure about that, the car mechanic has been in since 9 and doesn't appear to be going away :negative: the same developer made 9 and 10 so unless they suddenly change I'm not hopeful we'll get another Mario Party like 5 or 3.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

FireMrshlBill posted:

Its $69 in the US, so isn't that close to 55 in the UK?

nice

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Spring-Man (but it should be Twintelle)

wait but Bayonetta is already in Smash :confused:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just :lol: if people think Rabbids aren't going to be in the next Smash game.

if rabbids become a playable character in smash before rayman I will be so upset I swear

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

I was really excited when I thought it would be a 2D fighter like DBZF, buuuut it's not, looks like a generic anime fighter in a 3D arena :negative:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have kind of an issue with Gungeon in that it does that horrible thing where you only get heart containers if you perfect the bosses (even losing armor disqualifies you since you took a hit), and if you're able to perfect the bosses you hardly need more heart containers, so it's a system that needlessly makes the game more punishing for newbies.

There are other ways to get heart containers, and being able to perfect a boss on the first floor, for example, doesn't mean you can perfect EVERY boss on EVERY floor

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Kikkoman posted:

The Marine is the best imo because he has extra armor and shoots straighter.

I can make it pretty reliably to the 3rd floor, got to the 5th a few times even. 2 concerns though:

- Have you guys changed the control layout? I'm getting right hand cramps after playing 2 runs in a row.

- How do I detect/guess secret rooms?

1. I have blank mapped to right-stick and B/A are both mapped to interact, those are the only changes I've made

2. Using a gun that isn't a starting pistol, shoot the center of a wall a few times, if it starts to crack (and it'll get pretty big after a few shots) there's a secret room there. I think secret rooms are more likely to be connected to a room on the outer edge of the map, but don't quote me. Also obviously there has to be room for the secret room, so if you can see another room through the wall, there probably isn't a secret room there.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

deadly_pudding posted:

Nintendo marks a world first, with its new game Super Smash Bros. DX banned from release by presidential executive order. When asked for comment, Mr. Trump told us, "The dead and gay console, Nintendo Switch, was doomed to failure from the start! Sad!"

They can't call it that, that's already what Melee's name is in Japan.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

goferchan posted:

edit: also fun fact, in addition to running and looking like poo poo apparently the game on the classic model 3DS wouldn't spawn in enemies quickly enough for you to even reach the kill requirements on some stages, making the game literally impossible to beat lol

this also happened in co-op on the wii u version, not to the extent that you couldn't win, but the limited spawns definitely made the game harder sometimes

hopefully this version

a. still has co-op, and
b. it doesn't tank the framerate and limit enemy spawns

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

goferchan posted:

yeah the trailer shows splitscreen, in portable mode no less. I wish they'd add in a not-splitscreen multiplayer mode too but that's probably too much to ask for since 3DS didn't have it either

oh somehow I missed that, nice! There was also something in the character select that looked like you could pick 4 characters? So 4P co-op with two switches maybe? Or was that a feature from the 3ds game where you could swap characters or something?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

I am excited for Hyrule Warriors and Payday 2, but not excited for Dark Souls. I could never get into it because I'm bad at video games and would rather spend my time playing literally anything else instead of fruitlessly dying over and over and getting frustrated.

Just play as a sorcerer, then all you have to do during boss fights is run around dodging and hoping you have enough spell casts to kill the boss or at least significantly lower its health

edit: or summon friends to help

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I guess I don't really see the big deal of Dark Souls on switch. Unless you just don't play non nintendo systems and never got to play it before now. Portability seems kinda whatever unless you just play around your house since lack of messages and other online features while playing on the go just sounds lame as hell.

I dunno man, dark souls is still a pretty good game even without messages and co-op/invasions. And that's only while you're playing it portably AND with no wifi.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Takoluka posted:

and some of the character weapons, such any of Link's weapons that aren't the Sword or the Spinner or Zelda's Wind Waker are just so painfully awful to use. And sometimes, you are actively forces to use them.

Are you seriously implying that using the gauntlets isn't extremely good and cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Te8JaWMP_E

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

goferchan posted:

Oh man that dumb rear end music made me want to play this game again so bad

:same:

I also remembered that this exists and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_j_FvN5SQ

gently caress I really want this game to come out on switch so I can buy it again uuuugh

Edit: OH poo poo I just remembered Link's Great Fairy "weapon" and Lana's Summoning Portal they're both so gooooood

Xad fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 12, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is coming out on Switch. That’s why we’re all talking about it again.:)

yeah I know, I'm excited about it. Hence my post

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

goferchan posted:

Yeah I don't like the new Isaac soundtrack as much as the old flash version's but it's still ok. Meat Boy took a HUGE dive though

:yeah: I remember checking out the new SMB soundtrack since it was free with PS+ one month and hooo boy that soundtrack got so much worse

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Doesn't every group of friends have that one guy who destroys controllers on a monthly basis by death gripping them so hard you can hear the plastic creaking from the next room and pressing the buttons with all of their strength? May also complain about how much they hate it when games put crouch on L3 because they are incapable of moving the left stick without clicking it in.

lol what the gently caress, I've never known anyone that does this, I've only ever heard goons mention people like this (or admit they're the ones doing it). Respect your expensive toys

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Lube Enthusiast posted:

What’ll Solaire amiibo do exactly when scanned?

this but with praising the sun

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

I'd make some sort of bet that the title is Super Smash Bros. Deluxe. All the features from the Wii U and 3DS with new characters and stages, with everything important unlocked from the get-go. Toss Snake/Squids/BotW Link/Crash Bandicoot/Waluigi into play and serve around November to every single person who owns a Switch.

Pretty sure that won't be the name, since Melee's name in Japan was "Super Smash Bros. DX"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Hammer Bro. posted:

There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't play tennis!

~Every Bad Movie Ever

Um excuse you Air Bud is a very specific movie

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Anyone know if this replacement dock is any good? https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Portable-Nintendo-Replacement-Electronic/dp/B077HTJVYD/

Been thinking of picking up a 2nd, smaller dock but I'm not sure which (if any) are good. I know the Nyko one is supposedly awful.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

THE loving MOON posted:

Dunkey might have reviewed xb2 a bit better if dahlia wasnt like literally his first rare blade. :saddowns:

yeah he's not a patient man, he's also incredibly wrong about splatoon 2

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Also this update might have been in response to the homebrew/hacking stuff that came out recently, which isn't really something they'd put in patch notes

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Platinum has been busy with Bayonetta 3.

They don't own the rights to Viewtiful Joe. It, God Hand, Okami, and anything else made when they were Clover Studios (and owned by Capcom) still belongs to Capcom.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Sam Faust posted:

Smash needs more Kirby characters.

Bandana Dee or bust

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
also you can get an item that lets you parry

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Yeah unless you're looking REALLY hard for something to get mad at, it's completely fine. Yes, some of the censorship is a bit over the top, but whatever who cares.

The game's a fun Persona-lite thing, and trust me you're not really missing much by the battle shouts not being translated

kore/korega - > this is it/take this
sore - > that's it/take that
owari - > it's over
atatame kokoro no, suicchi on - > warming up your heart with the flick of a switch

also the wii u gamepad being used for texts/LINE is really good, some of the messages you get are hilarious

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

You say that, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be much worse if it didn't have fully voiced combat chatter. I think it's worth doing for all JPRGs.

Oh sure, I'd prefer if it was translated, but at least specifically for TMS#FE, you don't get a lot of characterization that I remember from battle chatter, just generic "TAKE THIS! THIS'LL END IT! CHROM!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

The whole microwave cooking show thing was hilarious.

I really liked that instead of that character being the generic glass cannon mage type like in every RPG, she's the tankiest piece of poo poo in your whole party and wields a giant axe, also she can heal better than the "main" healer character you start the game with

Xad fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 9, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Emron posted:

I still suck rear end at Enter the Gungeon. Around 100 runs in, the farthest I’ve gotten is dying to a boss on floor 4. I’ve never really played a bullet hell type game before this, are there any standard tips I should know?

I usually use the hunter and die on or before the boss of floor 3. I’ve never cleared 1.5, despite a few tries.

Generally I try to just look at my player character and NOT the enemy when fighting a big bullet hell boss, helps with dodging bullets and you can usually just see the boss in your peripheral vision anyways to aim

holding the swap weapons button to view all of them in slow-mo is very useful in boss fights

don't hesitate to use a blank if you think you're going to get hit, ESPECIALLY during a boss, since it stops any new bullets from appearing as well, and you always get your blanks refreshed anyways

table tech items (whenever you flip a table, gain X buff) are funny, but usually not worth it

don't be too beaten up about not clearing the oubliette, a lot of the enemies there are obnoxious, unless you're trying to do something very specific that requires you go there, it's fine to skip it

other than that, uh...never dodge roll in the same direction as bullets, dodge either towards them or to the left/right, but you also don't NEED to dodge roll everything. It's all patterns, so if you feel you're in a safe spot, try to make small movements through the bullets instead of immediately dodge rolling away. Bullet King and the Gatling Gull are good practice for this

Don't think this was changed, but if you don't pick up any keys by the time you get to the shop, the shop is guaranteed to be selling a key, and the item thief doesn't steal keys, so you can safely just leave keys lying around until you find the shop

and don't be afraid to break a chest open (unless it's red or black or something), you'll usually just get junk, but there's a small chance to get something more useful, and an EVEN SMALLER chance to get something REALLY useful

also floor 4 might have the hardest bosses in a normal run, so that's pretty normal

big tip: turn off screen shake in options, or at least turn it down significantly. It's a cool "feeling" effect but it makes it harder to keep track of bullets on-screen that you need to dodge

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Pokemon needs a significant revamp in the actual battle system to stay interesting at this point

Like to keep it interesting they've been totally revamping the worlds and how they're handled, adding things like double/triple battles, new types, mega evolutions, different abilities and items so people interact differently...

But they're just layering complexity onto a 22 year old battle system that is literally just taking turns selecting 4 moves from a list. Look at what BOTW and Odyssey did to their respective formulas and I cannot imagine Pokemon will be half as brave (they still outsell both so they probably don't feel like they have to)

I wholeheartedly disagree, past abilities/items and the occasional double battle, everything else is a gimmick that hasn't really stuck. There weren't even any mega evolutions in Sun/Moon, and I hardly think the series is dying. Changing HMs to Ride Pokemon in Sun/Moon was awesome but I don't think the series would have ended right then and there if they didn't do that.

And yeah anything sounds lovely if you describe it like that. It's like saying Mario is just "running and jumping" or Zelda games are just "swinging a sword and pushing blocks." "Taking turns selecting moves from a list" is what a good amount of JRPG battle systems largely are, and people like that, especially for a portable game.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
guys please believe me, software isn't a physical object, therefore it must cost zero dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Can we back up for a second

In what universe does Meta Knight sound like Strongbad

His dub voice in the anime sounds a lot like strong bad, especially older strong bad when he had more of an accent

• Locked thread