Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

It's p good. It's the first fighting game I ever bothered to follow closely

yeah, that checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you have a pro go "oh my busted controller isn't busted properly, I withdraw" that's when you as an organizer really need to ask yourself if it's worth hosting tournaments for a game whose 'best' players rely on an outright hardware advantage.

if people are having fun playing the game and going to events why wouldn't running it be worth it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chernabog posted:

I'm still debating whether to get spla2n or not. While I enjoyed arms it didn't last too long and now I just barely play a match here and there and I'm worried splat2n might be the same.

the key difference is that splatoon is actually good and fun

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah competitive fighting game players are at worst ambivalent towards story modes, sfv definitely got poo poo for not having one for months

e: nrs games have story, arcsys games have story, tekken has story, even indie poo poo like skullgirls have story. idk who these companies who don't care about single-player content are

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, Nintendo apparently. (The context of this conversation was ARMS :ssh: you may wanna read before you post)

you're the one who started complaining about fighting games and their players in general dog

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mahoning posted:

As someone who just got back into video games after a decade away (thanks Switch!), could someone describe Bayonetta to me in a sentence or two and what makes it so awesome and/or what games it is similar to?

if you were around for the devil may cry games it's basically an evolution off of that, a fast and extremely stylish action game that gets real challenging on the higher difficulties

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Aside from the aforementioned things, the main appeal of bayonetta is that it's never not entertaining.

bayonetta 1 has one of the most over the top finales in a video game and i'm so glad i went into it unspoiled

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why did I think they were releasing a 1+2 pack?

that was heroes, not builders

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The developer in Japan thinks the mobile versions of FF5 and FF6 are an improvement over the original SNES spites. They just have really weird (and bad) tastes.

but so did a lot of casual and younger players, someone at square showed surprise that the american fanbase reacted so negatively against the look of those ports

as hosed up as it is we're the outliers here, not the devs

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mancalamania posted:

I don't know if XBC2 is bad, but I'll tell you a game that IS bad, my friends: Yooka-Laylee.

The reviews that complain that it's too much like Banjo-Tooie / DK64 are completely wrong-- those games were actually good. Maybe Yooka-Laylee gets betters after the first world, but this first world is big sprawling sparse barren wasteland. There are barely any enemies or, for that matter, anything interactive between the little isolated pitstops where each "challenge" is.

Also the entire game feels very unpolished. There are at least two (2!) boring racing games in the first world, and neither of them even have a sound effect or visual cue or anything when you pass through the finish line or checkpoints that you need to pass through. The whole thing feels so soulless and empty. :(

you should replay dk64 sometime and understand that those reviews were completely correct

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rolo posted:

I hope we get a direct in the next month that gives us something, anything regarding smash.

there is a direct next month but smash probably won't be in it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

instead of arms they could've made a new f-zero, so basically nintendo is dead to me

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad people of all skill levels can enjoy breath of the wild

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i think I'm just a big dummy but I had to google A LOT of puzzles and shrines

like the constellation one? Lmao

that one where you had to time-freeze the boulder and hit it the right number of times to get it in the hole can gently caress right off

i haven't found the constellation one yet though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't know how they made a game with weapons that fall apart (and also considering you need to hit things with weapons solve puzzles and stuff) yet not constantly aggravating like every other system like that in the history of games.

imo it's because they fully committed to it by having no real way to circumvent it

the only other series i've played a lot of with weapon degradation is the 3d fallouts where it's just a trivial annoyance; it doesn't influence how i play the game, it just means i have to keep an eye out for copies of weapons i use with abandon to duct tape them together or just sink some caps at a merchant

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

In theory stuff like weight limits and weapon degradation in the new Fallouts is supposed to engourage you to weigh the benefits of quality/weight vs profit.

Unfortunately it turns out players will just pick up every single piece of garbage they find and sell it for almost nothing.

this conversation is actually making me consider a new vegas challenge run where i tweak equipment degrading up a bit and never repair weapons/armor. i dunno how i'd discourage packrat behavior though

any excuse to replay one of my favorite games ever i guess

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad we got a break from darknuts

more variety in general would've been good though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Well as shown in Donkey Kong Country Returns, the Banana Hoard actually has mystical power in it, seen when Tiki Tong mushes them and converts it into a power up for itself, only for the hoard to be completely intact once Donkey Kong drops a moon on his head. Also the Golden Banana seen in the Golden Temple, which transports DK to an alternate dimension when he consumes it.

thank you for this dk lore

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

maybe just play a hard game instead of spilling a billion words about how the game designed for casual audiences and kids should've been harder and more tedious

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh that random video youtube threw at me about no man's sky being murdered is a whole series?

...that makes me hate it even more

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't worry the meme only makes sense if you assume that McDonald's is good food and that a fun-loving person would want to go there

[sadly puts cheetah7071 at the top edge of the mcdonald's triangle of goons]

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it doesn't really take twewy that long to start showing that neku can change away from the person he starts as

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

twewy is worth sixty dollars and i'm only not buying it because i still have my ds copy and will probably replay it before it's out on switch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

The DQ composer is really goddamn weird about his music.

gently caress that guy for not letting me have the orchestral soundtrack on dq8 3ds

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Everybody please buy Tropical Freeze and give that game the love and admiration it deserves.

i will, because you asked nicely

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

So are they including the Spinner in the Switch Hyrule Warriors or do you still need an amiibo to unlock it?

it's unlockable in the 3ds version, i can't imagine them dialing it back to amiibo-only again for the switch version

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

[leans in to poster next to me]

i think i need to buy a switch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

put solaire in smash you cowards

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

I honestly think this is a possibility, it would be weird to see an amiibo that's just relevant to a third-party multiplatform one-off game and Smash inclusion would make sense there, especially with Bandai-Namco's involvement. Are there any other other amiibo like that besides Shovel Knight?

oh yeah i wasn't being glib there, i genuinely want to see him in and there's no big reason not to with how tight bamco and nintendo have been

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

put a palico in smash you cowards

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

God, I'd love Travis to hang out with Bayonetta

what did bayonetta do to you to deserve this

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

The NMH relveal in the direct was kind of confusing. Is it a spinoff game or is it part of the main series? It didn't look like it was a full title but maybe i'm wrong?

i don't think no more heroes is the kind of series where a distinction like that really matters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Is Undertale still worth it if you know that you can get past every enemy without killing them, and near the end there's the twist reveal that you've been a horrible person for killing anyone you did kill, and you should feel bad? I remember when it was all the rage people seemed to think telling me major twists in the game was a good way to get me interested.

that's a really reductive take of what undertale does

it's worth it because it's a cute charming game with some novel things done when it comes to a game narrative

also some really dope music

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you can't because the "date" with alphys won't show up until you've gotten the neutral ending

true but if you've gone pacifist and befriended papyrus+undyne all you have to do after you get the neutral ending is reload your file and do the date to start the true ending, instead of running through the game all over again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why would he be in smash

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why would this be smash though, cd project has never had a game on a nintendo product

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cloud is very much an iconic character of the PS1 more than anything, so having him turn up in Smash was just about the last character pick anyone could've predicted.

can't believe popular character from a popular franchise that started on nintendo got into smash

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Kinda glossing over the fact that said popular character hadn't appeared on any games on Nintendo systems...

kingdom hearts chain of memories and theatryhtym, bitch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Spellman posted:

There's also that flurry of, to your average person, random animes from Fire Emblem who Sakurai seems to be a fan of

fire emblem is an increasingly popular series, it's basically on nintendo's a-list these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

2018 in games: "What if your best friend....was a cube??"

the gamecube came out in 2001

• Locked thread