Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Zelder posted:

This game is incredible and it'll be awesome to have it on a system where I don't need to scrounge for controllers

So can you permanently die? In terms of it being a Rogulike, how does the run 'end'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The hard truth is they won't be able to do that, because SMO and BoTW were products of very long development schedules. It'd be lovely for games of that scale to be a regular thing, but you'd need several large-scale teams working on projects that we would not actually see for at least two or three years. At the earliest.

To be honest, one a year would still be a good pace. Metroid 2018, Pokemon 2019 for example.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

quote:

tons of free-to-try Android games

Move over Hemingway.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

Didn't they announce Kirby, Yoshi, and Metroid 4 at E3?

Yeah I mean sure they announced/demoed games for most of their major franchises but there was a big fibreglass Cappy which means that they only had Mario.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
TinyMetal is out tomorrow - it's an Advance Wars clone but I don't know if we have any reviews yet so who knows.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Please stop engaging with the person who revealed their desire to live in the forums and create posts with their mind.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

FirstAidKite posted:

So why exactly did the wii u sell poorly anyway? I always assumed it was because of a lack of good marketing leading to confusion over what the product even was (is it a new thing or is it an add-on, that kinda thing) but I don't actually know if there are any specific reasons for it selling poorly or if it really was just poor marketing.

It was a bad product, badly marketed.

The gamepad made the console far too expensive for how powerful it was, and was just a really awkward piece of hardware.

The whole system was centred around this new device, but it was barely used. Bizarrely, Nintendo showcased a lot of proof of concept minigames in Nintendoland, then never had significant gamepad use in any of these into their flagship titles.

Big third parties jumped ship early (even by the standards of a Nintendo home console) and whilst there were great games eventually, a lot of them were pretty niche.

These are just my observations.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Harrow posted:

Have there been any statements about the future of the DS line? I wonder if Nintendo's plan is to make the Switch the all-in-one for Nintendo things in the near future or if there'll be a new thing in the DS form factor eventually.

I could definitely see the Switch becoming the one and only Nintendo console, though. All it'd take is a new model with improved battery life and maybe a cheaper version that doesn't come with a dock for people who only care about playing handheld, and there you go.

It makes so much sense to do this that you can put money on Nintendo doing something completely different.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think it does make as much sense as some people think. Maybe later on, at the end of the lifecycle. Like the GBA Micro. But right now the entire concept of the Switch, including the name, is the ability to "switch" between handheld and home console. Coming out with a handheld only would just confuse the issue. And it's not like they need to do something to gin up sales, it's the best selling console ever. I really don't see what they'd gain from coming out with a different Switch that can't even switch.

Sorry, hosed up my reading comprehension.

I see a micro/DX version of the Switch existing, but docking will definitely be a part of whatever that is.

Either that, or Switch 2, and somehow Nintendo gently caress up convincing people it's a new console by doing something like make it look identical or use the same dock or something.

EDIT: Wow lots of people hugely dismissive of getting AAA games less than 2 years old completely bundled free with another service.

Guy makes a good point that if you buy literally every game they ever release, then they aren't of value to you.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 16, 2018

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Ventana posted:

Idk the writer so maybe he's still really stupid, but I do appreciate the genuineness of the article. There was a lot of uncertainty from Nintendo nay-sayers because it was hard to predict that Switch would 180 for Nintendo as much as it did. But I'm really glad that it's so far done a lot better than Wii U with more progress yet to come.

I'm still personally unsure about how much momentum the system will carry in the future post botw and odyssey, but they definitely are on the right track and unlike the Wii U I think it's a lot more clear and possible to keep this up. It helps a lot that I'm hearing a lot more friends saying, "Man, I really got to get a Switch" rather than, "Well, a Wii U would be cool, but idk if I can really get one".

It seems silly now but the success of the Switch was far from a foregone conclusion, even once BOTW reviews were rolling in.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
This is an amazing idea, executed in a classicly Nintendo style. I'd be astonished if this was a flop.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

The Kins posted:

It's safe to say that these first two parts will be a success, but the real hurdle in my opinion will be followups. Nintendo are already working hard to have normal games release on a regular basis without any of the Wii U's schedule voids. Now they have the prospect of designing and releasing Toy-Con packs regularly enough that kids don't forget about it (and hoping parents will pay more than for a regular game for each one) on top of that. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

For every idea they've shown, they've probably got 5 more being prototyped. Software elements can all be re-used, and printing more cardboard sheets is cheap. Making more of these is going to be easier than making Pokemon or Kirby.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Just done a quick search - Minecraft Lego sets are going for up to £100. Bet those are selling.

People who say this stuff is too expensive for kids are completely detached from the reality of how much parents spend on toys.

EDIT: Beaten on Lego comparison. Lego might be more versatile and re-usable, but the point stands as no one realistically expects kids to play with the same toys for years these days.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I've played through DOOM 3 times on PS4 - Switch version is really good and gyro might actually make it the superior version. It's funny, I've not even noticed that the framerate is halved. It's good poo poo.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

repiv posted:

The new Kirby feels really clunky at 30fps. It's hardly pushing any graphical boundaries either, they really should have been able to hit 60 with this :(

Mario at 60 kind of shows how bullshit this is.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Tatsuta Age posted:

As a dlc to what

Super Mario 3D World? That's where those Toad levels first lived.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I don't think Pokemon is typically revealed at E3 - partly because Game Freak are sort of their own thing rather than being fully Nintendo.

And partly in this case as Nintendo seem to want to keep their own announcements very short term focused - I think they've said E3 will be about games coming in 2018, so it'll be Smash and friends. Pokemon is a solid summer 2019 release imo.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Giving you Eevee/Pikachu as well as a choice of one of the traditional starters seems like the way to go.

Didn't they give you a starter, then one of the Gen1 starters in X/Y? I think you got Char/Squir/Bulb after the first gym?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Zelder posted:

Split screen undocked for a warriors game sounds miserable

Yeah the lack of screen real estate kind of makes me feel like this is as much of a practical issue as the game not playing well underwater.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Gorgolflox posted:

This is a game I would get if I still had any friends

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/997084321759412224

So I guess this is the Wii Sports/Fit/Resort/Party etc. continuation in some form?

It's a shame it's fairly ugly in places. 50 activities seems like a lot, hard to see there being more than 20 actually good ones but who knows?

EDIT: I hope there's some kind of 'Island Tour' mode where it sequences up half a dozen or so activities to play at random. Would be a nice way to keep things fresh, otherwise I feel you'd gravitate to the same few games you know.\

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait it's literally a Wii game from 2011 being ported? Christ.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 17, 2018

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I sure would, never played it and that's the good one right? New Vegas was an expansion of it or something? I know nothing about Fallout.

Not an expansion - think Majora's Mask to Fallout 3's Ocarina of Time. A new game with lots of changes but a lot of the same 'bones'.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it 20 a month or 20 a year?

It's $20 a year, but you can split a family pass between up to 8 people which is $35 a year.

So organise with goons and it's like $4 a year. So it's a pittance.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Elman posted:

Okay but what does that money buy you?

a) Peer to peer online multiplayer (should be free).
b) Cloud saves (wouldn't be necessary if we could backup our saves to an SD card).
c) NES games (who cares).

Good point. I shall purchase an additional annual latte instead.

EDIT for less dickishness:

a) Should be free on all consoles, but isn't. This is the cheapest version by a mile though.
b) I'll give you this - this should be free straight up.
c) NES classic sold out everywhere for months so I'm guessing that some people do care. Once this inevitably gets a SNES upgrade I think people will be much happier with it but if you don't like NES games (and I can't blame you) that's fair enough.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

DLC Inc posted:

I was lukewarm before on the reveal but if this is true then this game is gonna be lame af

Everything about this trailer screamed that you are leaving the vault to reclaim society shortly after bombs dropped. Did people not actually watch the trailer.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Development on those games probably started before the writing was on the wall a year or two back.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262074/worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004/

Wouldn't have said the writing was on the wall even now. That chart makes it look like 2018 sales might beat 2017 and 2016?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Ptarmigans posted:

I unlocked Waluigi.

I've seen people playing the demo for a while with loads more characters than this, you seem to grind points of some kind to unlock.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
drat May had lots of nice games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BplExZH8IQ

I'm kind of holding out for any surprise E3 drops before getting anything but there's like half a dozen games there I'd buy.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Does Minecraft make money as a videogame or as a merchandising empire? I think it's the second one at this stage so it makes sense to just splash the game out everywhere.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

From what it sounds like in the intro recruitment stories you barely actually see a difference depending on who's in when

I bet the entire recruit all characters thing is like, the first half of the game and the second half is having a full party. It feels like they're pulling a dragon quest 4

I still haven't started because I don't know who I want to play as yet - I was gonna save the 3 hour demo for a plane trip I have coming up

I got to a 3 character party within the 3 hour limit, and I bet faster people than me have gotten 4 characters in that time. So no way does gathering all 8 take you half the game, even if some are further afield from your starting point.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Not Operator posted:

Honest to god everyone, unless you're super rich, it is your ethical duty to scam and steal from corporations at every safe opportunity.

I'd shoplift a loving XBONE if I had a big enough coat.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
One sidequest ruining a game for you is stupid. Claiming that stories don't have politics in them because they are video games and not real is far stupider.

Is Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime basically Overcooked in Space?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Okay guys, unboxing my Switch.

First thoughts - too big to store in my cheeks like a hamster. Not what I was expecting but ok - however it's clear that since the controllers can be detached, I could easily drop them whilst juggling. Finally - no cupholder. 0/10.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

bowmore posted:

Impulse bought Rocket League while it’s on sale

This but Splatoon.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
This is peak indie.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Fun Times! posted:

Has there been any more info released about Crystal Chronicles HD? I’m curious how it will handle the information that was normally displayed on your GBA.

The direct said that with online play there's now no need for link cables.

Which sounds...ominous. The implication is that you'd need a Switch each for local multiplayer. Hopefully there's a less brain dead version where they put the screens up so people can actually play this game.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

SettingSun posted:

I always felt that the GBA connectivity for Crystal Chronicles was simply because they could do it, not that it was necessary. They can easily punt that info to a corner.

You could not play multiplayer without it. Nintendo were pushing connectivity at the time to sell consoles so there wasn't any multiplayer without it. Same goes for FSA.

The idea was that with each of you having a different set of info, you'd have to communicate in order to progress.

So they can easily put that info to a corner, but it's against the 'soul' of the original game so who knows.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

BisterdDave posted:

Do not play with my heart. A fleshed out VC on the Switch would get me to buy into Nintendo Online so fast.

Lol if you don't think this is just confirmation that only NES will be on subscription and everything else you'll be shelling out for individually again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dr Mario is addictive.

Yeah it's really good. The fact that each board is a 'mission' that you can actually clear makes it more fun than 'endless' style puzzlers like Tetris I think.

Not played it 2 player yet but I assume it's basically just a race?

EDIT: Looks like if you are doing well by clearing viruses you drop additional pieces onto your opponent. Like Puyo but they aren't 'junk' pieces, just regular ones.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 25, 2018

• Locked thread