Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

you cant upgrade that, either! If it immediately gives a set bonus, it cant be upgraded.

You can, however, dye it, which is what really matters anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

Here's the thing about N64.

All of those games you remember liking?

They're garbage, they haven't aged well and they look like poo poo. I'm not some graffix whore but rudimentary 3D at 15 frames per second looks like poo poo.

Modern tvs don't help much.

I dunno man, that's true for pretty much every game in the first year that wasn't Mario 64, but by the end? Conker's Bad Fur Day still looks good, and not just "for an N64 game", as well as Paper Mario which picked a really good artstyle that doesn't seem to age at all.

Though yeah, baring those few exceptions, on average the best looking N64 game doesn't compare to even the worst looking GC game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

N64 Classic should include

Super Mario 64
Waverace 64
Mario Kart 64
Ocarina of Time
Buck Bumble
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Star Fox 64
Rogue Squadron
Mischief Makers

No F-Zero? No Smash Bros? No Paper Mario? None of the Mario Parties? No Kirby? No 1080?

Sadly, even if we do get an N64 mini, it will always be crippled by the absence of Rare games, ie all the best games on the system.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

I'm so glad the only Sonic game I've ever played is Sonic 2. And that will be the only Sonic game I ever play.

I did to! I also played Sonic 1 when it was released as a 3D game on 3DS, which was neat.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

The ending could have been redeemed by the game giving you a flamethrower to replay regular cases with.

lol

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The only thing I'd want in a revamped smash 4 would be a better single player mode. I don't know how it worked on the Wii U but Smash Run was fun, but really short. I liked the Adventure Mode from Melee best myself.

Wii U version didn't have Smash Run which is why I only played it like 1/10th as long as the 3DS version. Smash Run was pretty good but obviously more tuned for multi-player than single player.

Classic Mode is the same in both versions, and is kinda revamped to have multiply paths and stuff, it's okay but it's no Adventure mode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

I do not own Pokken or Tekken, but I would certainly play GG Xrd! :D
The next time I am likely able to play is after 10:00pm my time tomorrow, so if you are around on PS4 then heck yeah!

holy gently caress that's a fantastic av

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Geomancing posted:

Physical only if at all possible; I like having them on my shelf and the few moments of switching the cart/cd out isn't a dealbreaker with me at all.

:same:

That and games are pretty much the only collectible I have, aside from books. All my music and movies and poo poo are either digital or streaming nowadays.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Twerkdad posted:

C'mon y'all, physical for huge games like BotW and digital for everything else. Who's got the time to switch out carts?

Ironically, speed tests have shown that the digital download version of BotW has faster loading times than the cart version.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

What am I supposed to do with all of these games?!?

quit your job

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the Gamecube secretly have a really good launch year? Or am I just like merging three years together in my head.

It did have Rouge Squadron 2 and Melee as launch titles, and Luigi's Mansion which is only recently getting the love it deserved.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dog nougat posted:

GameCube chat earlier/re-watching rogue one also got me jonesing for a new rogue squadron game.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

On-foot sections of later games aside, those were some absurdly good games. Has there been anything like them out recently?

I'm still mad that they actually finished Rouge Squadron 4 for the Wii, and even said it was probably the best game they'd ever made, but nobody was willing to publish it and then the studio went bankrupt.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kaubocks posted:

reasons i loved xenoblade:
- cool story
- fun characters
- great music

reasons i didn't touch xcx with a ten foot pole:
- no story
- bad characters
- lame music

sounds like a disappointing follow up to me

yeah pretty much, also the loss of the future-sight stuff which was basically the best idea ever in an RPG and losing it made most battles really samey and dull

it did have some awesome looking vistas though, so I had fun exploring for a while. once that stopped being fun I lost all interest in the game.

hopefully Xenoblade 2 is a little more like the first and not like X

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kewpuh posted:

why she has two horses on head?????

why do you have Kamek by your name?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the Switch expected to get ports of the good WiiU games eventually, like Bayonetta 2 etc?

Outside of Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart, there aren't really any big name ports from WiiU to Switch. So, no, not really.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm confused...are you denying future ports based on current ones?

More like, we've only gotten a few ports of late WiiU games, there's no precedent that they'll release anything from before last year.

Maybe if they start porting older games, like Smash or Tropical Freeze, then I'd say yes, but so far all signs point to no.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
pay ya $10 to steal that guys SD card from the mail

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

Papers please is so boring

that's kinda the point

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

I thought the point was simulating the experience of crushing despair and cynicism.

Don't forget the ease of corruption in bureaucracy and the heartlessness inherent to government systems.

Papers Please is a pretty cheery game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a Switch and Mario Odyssey today.

Considering taking it back because holy poo poo the controllers drop signal like crazy.

I tried both a pro and the two dangle things, and while they worked fine for the first three hours, the game felt sticky but I just thought I needed to get used to it, by hour four they were constantly missing button presses or not letting go of the stick when I do, so Mario would keep walking for a second or not jump when I want him to, which is when I realized something is very wrong. It got super frustrating when I got Pauline's band together and got treated to a stage to go along with the song, that was great until I died because the controller didn't recognize the jump button three times in a row, and then the next runthrough also nearly got me killed for the exact same reasons. What should have been a highlight was an exercise in frustration instead.

I have no idea what could be causing the issue. There's nothing between my couch and the Switch under my TV, it's not even six feet away. I even had a USB cable to charge the pro controller with and it's still not working right. Then I tried clicking the joycons into the Switch and playing it in handheld mode, and still got dropped signals. :psyduck:

Booted up Mario Galaxy a bit ago and have exactly none of these issues, so it's definitely something with the hardware itself and not any kind of input lag or something eating the bluetooth signal.

I'm gonna give it a day then try again tomorrow. I have no idea what the problem could be but there is a wi-fi router on the coffee table, so maybe I'll move that and see if that does anything. Otherwise I'm gonna return it later this week.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Glad to say my controller issues disappeared and the rest of Mario Odyssey controlled like butter. Beat the final boss at around 180 moons? Didn't actually look, but now that I'm into post game, and the game is working properly, my word I could see this lasting quite a long while. Game is a blast and I'm really glad I got it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

yeah but a cornerstone of their business model has always been to use tech that is a generation or two behind as their products tend to sell well regardless

Not always, up til the Gamecube, Nintendo was as cutting edge as every other console maker. But when Sony and Microsoft made the PS3 and 360 they made them so ridiculously powerful that every unit sold was costing them money, and Nintendo looked at that, looked at the GC, and went "yeah, no" then duct taped two GC's together and bundled it with a Wiimote. They were still using GC tech in the WiiU as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kay I've put about five hours into Xeno 2 now, and I'm glad to say that it's much better than I was anticipating, which is a relief. It feels like the sequel I was hoping XenoX was going to be but wasn't.

Music is fantastic, worlds are lush and fun to explore, combat isn't a confusing mess though I'm not yet deep enough into the game where it requires more thought than "hit em with your arts", and there's a lot of side stuff to get distracted with. Story is flashy but ultimately kinda empty right now, feels like not much is happening beyond setup, so it's not quite as good as the first game but it's miles better than X.

I've gotten used to the artstyle now, and outside of Pyra and Rex everybody looks great. Just... whoo boy those two main characters are a hot mess.

I'm also noticing a lot of production issues. Cutscenes playing without sound just voices, animations not syncing with sound or voices, it feels rushed, like they needed another couple of months to get cutscenes up to snuff.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

The future sight mechanic is something I've seen most people enjoy though. I thought it was pretty clever and haven't really seen complaints about it before.

It was easily the most interesting part of the combat, and the fact that it extended to a bunch of stuff outside of combat was pretty slick, but I have had fights where it felt like it was being triggered by nearly every attack and having it go off a half dozen times a minute can get annoying.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bayo 1+2+3 are coming to Switch, hell yeah, this'll be the third loving time I'm buying the first game and I'm more than happy to do so, it's so drat good. Still need to beat the second but now I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the Switch version or just bust it out on WiiU and finish it off.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing Xenoblade 2 and I can't help but notice that the sound is all kinds of hosed up. There's been more than a few cutscenes that don't have any sound effects at all, just voices, so it's jarring to see a bunch of people run around in complete silence until somebody speaks. Along with that the voice direction is really screwed up, there's been a couple of points late chapter 3 that don't sound like they actually understood what was going on when given their lines, so the delivery is completely tone deaf to the scene, ie characters locked in a battle to the death shouldn't talk as casually as they do.

That and they don't have nearly as many unique animations for cutscenes as you'd expect, so like, there's this one henchman in chapter 2 who has only a couple of animations and just repeats them for all his scenes and it's really stupid looking, but they don't give him any other gestures so that's all he does for his scenes, of which he has too many of anyway.

Also I still cannot get over how stupid looking the two main characters look. It's almost impressive, really, at 20 hours in I'm still in awe of how bad their designs are, particularly since nearly everyone else look better.

But other than that the game itself is fun. At this point in X I still had no idea what I was doing, but in 2 I'm popping off blade combos and chain attacks at will, it's great. I feel like there's still some depth I haven't tapped into, but I'm getting better at it all the time. Though the fact that you can change your setup at will means there's no reason to play as the other characters... one of my favourite things about XB1. Oh well.

The environments really are spectacular. I do wish there were more sidequests, XB1 did a great job with getting you to explore nearly the whole map with it's sidequests, but XB2 feels like there are still huge chunks I haven't found because I haven't had any reason to go there. The fact that ever map is autofilled in when you find each area also makes it less vital to explore. Oh and the way they have the map menu split into submenus and don't automatically go to the map you're currently on is a really dumb. They even have a quick select button for the map that still makes you go through the menu.

Music leaves me with nothing to complain about... during gameplay. Cutscenes are another matter, as the sound mixing is just awful. More than a few times characters have been drowned out by the music playing too loud during cutscenes, oh but sometimes songs don't loop so enjoy the last couple of minutes being in silence!

... man, the more I think about it, the more it seems like Xenoblade 1 was a "lightening in a bottle" kinda game, as nearly everything that XB2 does was done better in XB1, which was also the case with XBX. I don't think XB2 is a bad game, but it's lacking the same level of polish the first had that made it special.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Louisgod posted:

Same could be said about XB1 except the difference is that XB1 was actually legit good

I dunno, I thought XB1 had possibly the best opening I'd ever seen in a JRPG.

It opened on two titans fighting, boom, takes two minutes to establish the mythology. Next is the war with the Mechon and Dunban fighting with the Monado, double boom, now we know there's a war going on and it's over a lightsabre. That's three main story arcs done in less than twenty minutes, and all three are important and relevant for the next 60 odd hours of game. It's good poo poo and half the reason the game is so well loved is because it was efficient and effective with front loading it's world building, making sure a new player had all the most important pieces shown to them before they even started the game proper, and implicitly promising that the game will get around to explaining how all three of those arcs relate.

Course, the game keeps going after those three story arcs are completed, which is why the last quarter or so of the game is kind of a muddled mess cause it's strongest narrative threads are wrapped up and the loose threads aren't nearly as interesting.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

*slams fist on desk, spittle flying everywhere from my mouth like a rabbid dog* GIVE ME SMASH

I've actually been playing a lot of Smash WiiU recently since when it was released I was burned out playing Smash 3DS and couldn't be arsed to play it all again. Still think it's bull all the trophies/items you collected on 3DS didn't transfer over, just your Mii characters.

But yeah game is still loving fun and has a ton of characters. Even if they just ported Smash 4 will all the DLC, and maybe replaced Smash Tour with something more engaging like Smash Run, I would buy it again.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tender Bender posted:

I would have played way more Smash Wii U if it had a decent single player or more "for everyone" online options.

Yeah I don't like how they changed Classic mode for the WiiU version, it worked a lot better on 3DS.

SeANMcBAY posted:

My fingers are crossed for a Subspace sequel.

Ew.

I wish they'd just recreate Adventure mode, it was simple and straightforward with lots of neat little level like stages to go through and that's all I really want, Subspace was a huge mess in comparison. Fighting games just naturally work better as beat-em-ups, not metroidvanias.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
E: loving

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 7, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
E: Bamboozled

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 7, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

@NirtendoAmerica

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm not buying a Wii U.

Than you're not playing Wonderful 101.

Weird how that works

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pug Rodeo posted:

I just noticed that next year is the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros franchise. :psyduck:

I’m old as poo poo.

how does the smash bros series tie into kirby lore?

Also is there like, a decent video series covering the lore? I would be down to watch that since I kinda don't have the time to play two dozen odd Kirby games right now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If the d-pad is being used like buttons ala Dark Souls, I'd lift my thumb to hit each direction like it was it's own button.

If it's being used for controlling the character ala Shovel Knight or whatever retro indie game you're playing, I'd keep my thumb on the pad and slide/rotate my thumb according to which direction I want to go, almost like a thumbstick.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone trying to use the four directions like buttons when controlling a character. That would be weird and uncomfortable and probably really janky.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Lobster posted:

My first controller was an NES controller, because I am an adult.

It being 2018 now means people born in 2000 are technically adults now.

There's the very real possibility that adults today played with a 360 controllers when they were kids. Hell, even if you kick it back a generation that still means most adults probably learned on a PS1 gamepad.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I saw the direct and am hyped for Smash and switch games in general, but I haven't seen any of treehouse, did they pull another Samus Returns and announced a new game after the direct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

if i was capable of drawing well i'd draw tits all day too

pays well on patreon, too

Stan Taylor posted:

They better put tripping back in Smash for Ultimate.

hail satan

• Locked thread