Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bought a Switch and BotW yesterday, have already put in 12 hours.

I really hate how "slow" the progression is going to be able to be not-turbofucked when a Lizalfos or Guardian shows up, but when I do get a new heart container or whatever it's super rewarding. Right now I'm grinding shrines because I need 13 hearts to get the Master Sword. I hate having to swap weapons and poo poo all the time but it's bearable.

The only downside to playing so much BotW is that I also bought Super Mario Odyssey, and after playing it for maybe an hour I want to keep switching back and forth.

I also printed some Switch accessories. A grip:

And a stand.

For the stand, instead of wasting 2x+ the plastic on printing it "heavily," (ie: 60%+ infill), I printed it at 10% and screwed a fuckoff piece of 3/8 flat bar stock to the back. Nice and steady :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My Life in Gaming did a mini-review of them during their...Retro AVS review? They're okay, just expensive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My ex-girlfriend (EX, holy poo poo) that I still live with because lease was like "oh, is that the new Nintendo thing? I'd play some old Mario if you have that. Does it have the old Mario?" And, having just bought the thing, I was like "yeah, of course." BOOM, nothing on the e-shop. What a lovely e-shop, the 3DS has better. She was willing to overlook how awkward being in the same room together is for some goddamned "old Mario."

I'm not lying, this happened yesterday after I hooked the Switch up. Nintendo, you dropped the loving ball.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay yeah after reading that it's a bit misleading. Not wooing back, just enjoying some loving video games. Now, if you want awkardness:

RZA Encryption posted:

You're supposed to move into a friend's living room and keep paying rent until the lease is up.

That's how this situation started. With the previous ex :yayclod:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
First ex was OCD that needed time have dishes soaked for 10 minutes minimum before cleaning, and books had to be wiped before putting back on the shelf. However, that didn't matter as after we moved, turns out she was a hoarder (very well hidden until uprooting) and I spent 7 of 9 years together (left for 2 years in the middle for Army Basic/AIT) in Phoenix (from Idaho) living between stacks of packed boxes full of mail and American Girl doll collections. Along with the permanently-disassembled bookshelves.

However ex 1 couldn't ever have been wooed by Old Mario, so I'm probably getting off-topic :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Andrast posted:

I beat Skyrim in the same way I beat every bethesda game.

I played it for 20 hours, realized it was shallow as gently caress and the writing continues to be terrible and then modded in a ton of poo poo and played for 80 more hours. And then a mod updated and broke everything so I stopped. Then, six months later, for whatever reason, I picked it up again and played for 40 of my 48-hour weekend hours, completely stock in one binge. Then I bought it again for a console because I was moving and didn't have the PC set up yet and it just "felt right" to play right then.

Then, a year later, bought at again during a bundle sale on Steam but never played it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't stop playing BotW after buying it last week. Printed some Hylia statues.

Printed pretty hollow, then filled with sand and hot-glued over the hole in the bottom, to give them weight.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Microtransactions in Animal Crossing :stonk:.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found a 3D printed grip style I like, so I made a few of those. Not for everybody, of course, but it let me try out a few grip styles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Blast Corps + normal Tetris, not Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Go on sale Splatoon! I want to buy you!

Just burned out on Overwatch, man.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, you're right. I just bought it for $48 used on ebay.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Being born and raised in Idaho, it should be Steelhead that are thugs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just bought Shantae ffffuuuuuu

In better news my HDMI switcher arrived today, can't wait to get home. I play on my 24 inch Acer monitor that only has VGA or DVI. So, here's my current setup:

PC goes to DVI with an HDMI to DVI cable.

Switch goes to HDMI audio extractor that gives you either optical or RCA stereo. HDMI audio extractor goes to DVI with an HDMI to DVI cable. I have to switch them manually. The RCA audio goes to a RCA to 3.5mm converter, which goes into the PC speakers.

With the switch, I'll be able to use only one HDMI to DVI cable.

I could have solved this by dragging out the monster 8-input Yamaha home theater amplifier that has HDMI out and like 6 HDMI inputs and also does component and composite, but then I'd have to wire up speakers and poo poo. I have really nice PSB and Polk Audio floor and bookshelf speakers, and a 12 inch Polk Audio sub, but :effort:. I got the Yamaha for cheap from Goodwill because one of the speaker output relays was dead. Instead of tracking down a particular part number and doing tiny soldering, I dead-bugged a standard audio relay to the board.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 25, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really want the remastered Odin Sphere. I just don't want to buy a Sony. Nothing against them, just not my jam since the PS2.

Muramasa was amazing but I lost my save softmodding my Wii and :effort:.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, I had the HDMI audio extractor already, and now I don't have to unplug the headphone cable from the switch.

Can you control volume with headphones plugged in while docked? If si I'd just headphone it all of the time :v:

E: also I found some pretty nice Yamaha PC speakers at Goodwill a few years back that have two inputs and auto-switches and mixes both. Audio in L1, it shuts off (but monitors) L2, so there's no static. Signal on L2? It mixes it in. I had to replace the main drivers (cones were shot), but that was $10 and an ebay purchase / soldering sesh later.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 26, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I made a thing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3D printer? https://www.thingiverse.com/make:409408

If not, probably about $35-40 to have it ordered from a print guy like me or others, if I were to guess.

Super fun print to do. The head is printed in place and spins freely. I printed my "body" to heavy, so the legs have difficulty supporting it. There's another leg version that uses aluminum wire (and I can in fact insert some in my legs I've already made if I want) that supports more weight. I think I made mine 18-25% infill. My second one I'll do like 5% to keep weight down.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought the battery packs for the joycons. While they make it a lot more comfortable for my hands, I wish there was a way to have them linked to make it a single controller.

Oh poo poo that's the charging controller. drat. Well, at least I have portable joycon charging now. And I guess they can still be used sideways for mario kart etc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just finished the installation of the best joycon cases:

Protip: don't do it. Holy poo poo the right joycon is the most tightly-packed piece of electronics I've ever seen, and I used to do mobile Macbook/iPhone battery replacement. The tri-wing screws (actually Y or Tri-lobe, "tri-wing" has the offset centers) are too big for the Apple standard 0.6mm, but too small for the 2 or even 1.5mm Y-tip screwdrivers. I ended up being naughty and filed a sacrificial jewelers flathead to profile, but you have to be super careful when doing that.

If you hate yourself and want to install your own, don't use their middle piece. It's the middle supporting board that the L2/R2 buttons screw to, and that holds the battery. Their middle piece, in all of the aftermarket versions of this, has a casting error that needs to be manually filed out. You'll see complaints about that on Amazon reviews. Just use the stock grey one - it doesn't clash or stand out or anything.

Looks baller IMO

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is very true. I wonder what Nintendo made the original N64 controllers out of. Their atomic purple ones were my favorite. Maybe they just had a lot more reinforcement in the castings, as mine seemed indestructible.

Also keeping the stock grey "spine" is a good idea for that reason, too. Most of the screws spread their weight over the central piece of plastic, and keeping the original may be better in the long run for durability.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
GBAtemp is down but I found a mirror for Joycon Toolkit 2.5.x

hell yeah.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm a huge fan of Nintendo's Atomic Purple colors, but these joycon mods look so off. Something isn't right about them.

I wonder if, because the plastic is thinner, if the color isn't right? Also, Nintendo tended to do a slight frosting to one side of the plastic. Maybe that's it. My clear Game Boy doesn't have frosted plastic, but my Atomic GBC and N64 controllers do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Spice Orange is the best abandoned color. While I love Atomic Purple, you can't ever have too much spice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Morby posted:

Is there goon consensus on the best charging joycon grip? Apparently Switch accessories are 50% off today, and my wife already told me she got me the watermelon joycons for Christmas.

Where?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, none of my switch things on amazon are listed for 50% off. I'd ditch my 3D printed grips and get an official charging grip if it were only 15 buckaroos.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nope. It does not.

I "finished" BotW today at 60 hours. Decided it was time to fight Ganon and I totally crushed him in my lv4 ancient armor/MS/Hylian shield. Man that last blow to the final form was confusing, I had to look up what the gently caress they wanted me to do. Ugh.

Putting it away for awhile, gonna focus on Splatoon/MK8/Odyssey/Shantae.

I don't think BotW will be a yearly replay like OoT is for me, though I did enjoy it a bunch. Really glad they went back on the crest of hyrule, too (no head version), as I have an embarrassing thing I can't change regarding that.

I think that this is a good end cap to the timeline, whichever one it falls under (Downfall timeline?). With SS being the origin story and this being the end, and with Ganon "giving up his resurrection" to attempt to defeat you. And with a 10,000 year gap, they've given themselves plenty of time to insert more stories. Took the entire game for the triforce to make a loving appearance, too!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

screaden posted:

My switch arrived today. Is it possible to hook the Switch up to a TV without the dock? Thinking of loading up with jackbox and overcooked for Christmas fun times when we visit the family

Allegedly some of those USB-C breakout boxes do, but mine doesn't. Even with the official adapter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Zelder posted:

Daisy is dead man

She was in Mario Strikers for the Wii holy poo poo that was 10 years ago?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:perfect:
:dogbutton:
:aaa:

Holy poo poo.

Listen, you motherfuckers may think that you are Xenosaga fans. You are wrong.

My first time on an airplane was to go to an IONA concert just so I could see Joanne Hogg. I didn't even like the rest of her music. But she did the ending songs, so I had to, you see.

So you're telling me I'm going to have to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a game I had no previous interest in. As a 30 year old goddamned adult. gently caress you, Switch. There goes $60

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

i know gently caress all about xenosaga and am currently :geno: about this

It was too good for this world. It was so good, they had to shorten it, and make it bad. But it is still good. And it abandoned us :cry:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To put in animu terms: imagine if like a single episode of Evangelion came out, now, 23 years later. Or if like Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop was in Smash Bros or something. It's a character with a devoted, hungry fanbase, from a franchise that hasn't had any activity (even including merchandising) in many years.

Waifu Prime is a good term for it, too, I guess.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Docked is 900p, handheld is 720p. Docked lets the switch bump GPU clock speed.

The way some games are optimized, the extra 180 lines docked makes it chug, like in BotW. The way other game engines are, the lower GPU clock handheld causes issues, but they're fine with extra resolution.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Play Phoenix Wright

I mean, yes, always.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Did I make a mistake and buy an anime machine or will there only be anime titles released from now on?

Both of the things you said are the same. Why is there an "or" in the middle?

"Did I make a mistake and buy orange juice, or will there be only orange flavor from now on?"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shenmue?

Oh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Peter Cullen can't die.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Counterpoint: anime is bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

When you overdose on Xanax and the paramedics ask you what day it is.

Ah, I see this game subscribes to the Shirow Masamune school of anatomy.

Enjoy your anime titty game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rolo posted:

What about just a cheap cord with an apple brick? I have cheap C cords I got from work but the cheap bricks they come with go in the trash.

No. Not even Apple is immune from the different wired plug.

The USB-C format has different standards. One of the more recent ones, that Nintendo uses, is called USB-PD. Specifically, they're up to USB-PD 3.0 now. As part of USB-PD, instead of just supplying 5 volts like USB standards of yore, it can supply 12 or even 15 volts, at various current capacities, depending on the wattage of the charger. The voltages involved in USB-PD are:

5v
12v
15v
20v

However, Apple started using a weird quasi-USB-PD implementation on their chargers, where instead of 5 and 15 volts, they did 5.2 and 14.5 volts on the same lines. An Apple USB-C brick won't work properly with the Switch, except for standby charging. It's like all of those 'Pre-N' routers that don't work sometimes with the spec N standard.

In fact, implementation from various manufacturers has been lovely as gently caress. They'll have the right voltages, but at meager or improper current capacities. Here's a chart of some chargers and their capacities:

Normally, as the marked "wattage" goes up, there's a set of voltages that kicks in. A 15 watt charger may only have the 5v line at 3A, but an 18 watt charger should have the 5v line at 2.4 amps and the 12v line at 3, but some "18" watt chargers only have a 5v line. In that scenario, a product that's actually designed to use a proper 18W charger will only draw 2.4 amps from the 5v and, lacking a 12v line on the charger, it will charge more slowly. In addition, the USB-PD standard requires a handshake circuit in the charger itself that negotiates with the product being charged. You can't just have a dumb brick with a 5, 12, and 15v line hooked up on the respective pins.

When you combine these different voltage lines with a complex cable, you get a lot of fuckups. That's why those people review USB-C cables, because one that's designed before the USB-PD standard was implemented could fry the poo poo out of your device. And they're just sometimes wired incorrectly.

Midjack posted:

Benson's usb-c guide is still pretty good.

This is a good start. Not all of those cables work with the Switch, but they're not going to fry your poo poo.

• Locked thread