Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

You just hit the home button.

It's finicky for me though. I usually have to hold it for a couple seconds, and sometimes it stops trying so I have to repeat that once or twice.

Still beats getting up from the couch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
E: nevermind

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

fadam posted:

Is the Pro-Controller analogue stick different than the one on the Joycon?

Yes. It's bigger.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I only just found out that the Xenoverse 2 you guys have been talking about is not the same as Xenoblade 2 :doh:

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Spellman posted:

There's no way this won't be a multiplayer game w/ Toadette on Switch

I just saw the trailer for captain toad (my first ever look at it). It looks good! It would be perfect on the switch.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

I just spent 50$ and got sonic mania, golf story and stardew on my switch. :toot:

Holy poo poo, sonic mania is so good!

I downloaded sonic mania but I really dislike it. The jumping feels extremely floaty which was fine for the green hill zones since you didn't need precise jumping but it's really annoying me in chemical plant zone. I'll play it some more to see if it clicks. It doesn't help that I don't have any nostalgia for sonic games in general.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Those people have never left their hometowns so just boarding a flight kinda ruined their gaming cred.

Regarding Stardew load times, I read the recent AMA with the developer and he said he coded it very inefficiently from the very beginning for PC so the loading and saving system is much much slower on anything but a PC and he also said it's unlikely to change.

I don't really mind it though since the wait time usually convinces me to finally put it down after 5 hours.

How bad are these save times? A minute?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Imagined posted:

Why would you play Witcher 3 without mods. Or want to.

I played Witcher 3 on pc without mods. What did I miss? Apart from a million nude mods.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cool. I'll go check what the good folks over at Neogaf have to say about it and I'll be right back to let you know.

Good luck with that

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
FDG is a mobile developer though. And not a very good one.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs

I think Mark Brown explains pretty well why the music in BOTW is great and works well for an open-world game. Agree that the battle music is a bit meh though.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So... EA isn't bringing their NHL series to the Switch.... what the hell? I know they never said it was a hard no or anything, but it's currently 'not on their radar'. I'm not a huge sports guy, but I always enjoy a game now and then, and was looking forward to some hockey, but I guess it's not happening.

EDIT: For content, rather than just bitching, I have a few questions about the system. Like I said earlier, I'm planning on getting one sometime in the next year. I have a wife and two kids (too young to play right now, but the older one is almost ready). What kind of multiplayer setup is there? I mean, obviously, you dock the system, and you get split screen functionality on the tv for games that support it, right? Any sort of multiplayer for when it's 'on-the-go'? If someone else comes over with their Switch, what kinds of games can we play with our super-mobile systems? Also, I'm mostly used to how the 360 works with regards to people having different profiles... how does it work on the Switch? If there has to be one Nintendo account tied to the system, I'll just use mine for all purchases and whatnot, but can my wife also set up a profile for her game progress and all that?

When it comes to the time where all 4 of us are playing something like Minecraft, can my kids have persistent profiles? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this system (like many videogame-related things) was something that I completely and totally ignored until the possibility of owning one came up, and now I'm trying to learn all about it. My wife and I have been playing Minecraft on and off for the last few years, but now it's a pain in the rear end to have both of our PCs hooked up, at least with our limited space right now, so we're looking not just to be able to play together again, but something for when my kids are old enough to enjoy it, too. Ideally, we'd all have our own laptop or pc or whatever, but they're not going to be old enough for that for a very long time, plus that's crazy expensive. So, a family-friendly console it is.

EDIT: vvv they're also the only ones really making any sort of realistic sports games lately, so I don't know of any other options vvv

I think the earlier post about one profile running for multiplayer sessions is generally right, but for minecraft your individual inventory is linked to a profile. So your kids can have their own profile with their own equipment and inventory, and they can then join your sessions where you have your own equipment. The game works split-screen which can be a bit cramped but it works.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Got to that first big plain in xb2 and realized I just don’t care about any of it, does it get wildly better?

Did the prospect of exploring that plain not excite you?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I think the overlevelled enemies everywhere are really fun, they make exploring scary and feel like it has consequences. Also the world is jaw-droppingly beautiful. I regularly stop to just have a look around the fantastic environments.

Combat is fun too. There are many tutorials but they spread them out and they’re short, so it’s unobtrusive.

The anime titties are annoying but there’s just two so far and I usually zone out during the cutscenes anyway.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Uh where are you seeing BOTW for €70?

In some EU eshops it’s 10 euros more expensive than everywhere else for some reason. Just buy Zelda physical and everything else digital and never take the cart out.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

When you die, the game spawns a zombie version of you at or near where you died, then restarts you in the last save room you visited - without any of your (non-required mobility) upgrades. Killing the zombie recovers all your upgrades. That's fine early in the game, if a bit tedious. But losing your upgrades means you lose all your health tanks, and this game treats health the same way Metroid does - you start at 99 life, and each tank adds 100. Late-game when you're expected to have in the neighborhood of 899 total health, getting smacked down to 99 can easily start a death spiral where you keep littering the place with more and more zombie versions of yourself frantically trying to get to and kill the one that has all your health tanks.

Why would this be a good mechanic?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

I'm coming to what feels like the end of Xenoblade Chronicals 2, is there a post game or should I finish any sidequests I want to do before tackling the end of the story?

Like the poster earlier said, there is nothing that unlocks, really. But you'll get a savefile just before the final boss that you can continue playing with, so you can just go beat him. I played the postgame for about an hour and then found out I didn't really care anymore after beating the final boss so be careful!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

That kid loving sucks!

But seriously, how does this game work? Is it really just randomly flailing about? I couldn't find any on-screen cues that indicate a rhythm.

Also, these are some sweet sales! Just picked up mario+rabbids voor 33 euro and rayman legends for 23 euro. Thanks Russia! (That's where those two are cheapest).

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 8, 2018

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Edit: double post

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 8, 2018

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes you can get Dark Souls III for the PC for $12. You have 19 hours before the opportunity passes though

19 days

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Feenix posted:

I am liking Owlboy a lot, 1 hour in...

I liked the first three hours. I hated the hours after that so much I stopped playing. I can’t remember the last time I started to actively hate a game so much I did not want to keep playing. (This was on PC).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I think the music is fantastic. And the dialogue is so drat good that anything other than a series of all-time great voice acting performances from a range of actors would have weakened it, and you're not getting that from an indie game made by a small team. You don't get that in AAA games on nine figure budgets.

Also how is it misrepresented as being more supernatural than it is? I'm like 3/4 way through and I don't know how anyone could be thinking the small town depressing life isn't the point of the game.

Is night in the woods enjoyable if you’re not from a small town so that won’t resonate with you at all?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just need to vent a bit:

I just switched internet providers from b&you to Red by SFR (in France). Hoping for faster speeds to properly play online because I was that dude that would ruin Splatoon matches (I stopped playing fast). And it turns out that the box used specifically by SFR doesn't work with Switch. Hasn't for a year and probably never will. So I can't play anything online at all. I never tried to do much before due to my lovely slow internet (which is now considerably faster on all other fronts).

I'll get a new provider in the next few months since it's been such a pain in the rear end just switching over right now that I don't feel like being harassed by telecommunication people for a few weeks. I'll probably go to orange which is twice as expensive but seems to work fine, once Smash or details on their online service are announced and/or I get Mario Tennis. Either that or I jury-rig some sort of connection with a new router connected to the current modem. I'm no good with electronics so I don't know if I'll go down this path.

Ugh.

Tried hooking your switch up with an ethernet cable? It made the online experience a lot better for me. Only works when docked though.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

Paypal Digital Gifts has $50 eshop codes for $42.50. US only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253470580530

Is this still available? I don't actually live in the US but I'm trying to buy it with a fake US ebay account, but it says 'the listing has been removed, or is unavailable' when I click buy now.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
You should take the Dunkey Splatoon video with a grain of salt because it’s not tagged ‘dunkview’. In dunkview videos he still jokes but will also gives his opinion of a game (with an ironic score). The splatoon video is just meant to be funny.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So here’s an exciting bug that just happened. I’d bought a bunch of games and then put the switch in the dock to download/charge overnight.

This morning when I tried to turn it on the pro controller confirmed and connected, but the screen remained black. Taking it out of the dock the switch was unresponsive. After a while it said ‘there was an error’ and restarted normally.

Here’s the freaky part: the face buttons on the right joycon were stuck. I had to press really hard before they depressed and they sound and feel very different now. When I tried again after an hour they were stuck again. It was a bit warm when I took it out of the dock, could that be related?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

Goons are so sheltered. Here in Germany (and presumably most of Western Europe) sweet popcorn (pretty much kettle corn in the US) is the DEFAULT popcorn you get at the movies. They have non-sweet too but it's bland because they don't dump butter all in it or even have those liquid butter dispensers for people to go hogwild with. Now you know.

:wrong:

Here in the Netherlands (just across the border!) the default is salty, though sweet is always available. I wouldn’t call the salty ones bland but it is a pity that they never add butter here :(

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Why is the dock 90 dollars. It's just a hollow shell of molded plastic with a circuit board in the back. I genuinely feel like I'm missing something here.

You also get a HDMI cable, but more importantly a good USB type-C plug+cable. Those are expensive. This one on amazon is 28US$ and doesn't even include the cable https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delive...pe+c+cable+plug

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All dates should be dd-MMM-yyyy tho

13 JUL 2018

yyyy-mm-dd. I need my files sorted goddamnit

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Legit, more games should have the Shovel Knight gender options.

Partly because its inclusive but also because its really cool.

<Hire Me Nintendo>

I didn't get it. It just changes the pronouns people use for you right? Since it didn't change the sprites it just left me confused.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I’ve never played a Fire Emblem game. Should I? I enjoyed mario+rabbids but never played xcom or final fantasy tactics.

Which would be good game to start with? How is that mobile game?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

minya posted:

I can’t really believe how good Hollow Knight is. It’s one of the best games I’ve played since Bloodborne.

When I first saw some video of it, I felt kind of turned off by how “dark” and same-y it looked. Playing it I quickly realized that was totally unfounded.

I’m like 12 hours in and completely hooked. I can’t believe it’s only $15. I think this is the first time I’ve felt an indie game was noticeably underpriced. In a lot of ways this game feels more polished than a lot of AAA titles.

Man, if you’re into platformers and challenging gameplay, this game is an absolute must.

I want to stress to everyone in the thread that this is a Celeste-level situation.

HOLLOW KNIGHT IS GREAT AND YOU SHOULD GET IT!

(also get Celeste if you don't have it yet)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

That's why I spoiler that character's name and use gender-ambiguous language when talking about them. Spoiler tags take minimal effort on your part so why not just use them? Something that's not a spoiler to you might be one to someone else, and in regards to characters on the Xenoblade box art: people who buy the game digitally don't even have a box, and people who buy it physically might not even look at the box beyond opening it to take the game out.

Party members in Chrono Trigger, and in a lot of JRPGs in general, are a bit different in regards to "spoiler or don't spoiler." In Chrono Trigger, you only meet characters who are party members shortly before they join, and you get to rename them to boot. A lot of JRPGs work this way. In Xenoblade, you meet future party members several times before they join, and while there are hints about who will eventually be playable and who will not, they're not something you might cotton to if you're playing blind. It's obvious in hindsight, but until you're familiar with the game world and its rules, it's not so obvious!

It blew my mind when Four joined the party in XB2. Same when Five did. This wasn't my first RPG, I did not look at the box art because I bought it digitally and I avoided all talk of it online to go in fresh.

Thanks for keeping spoilers in spoiler tags!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

I get it with Four, she could really go either way on being a game-long "honorable antagonist" or a party member, but Five? Really?

Yeah really. I figured he was just a kooky guy that we'd fight a bunch of times. What was your reason to think he would join?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Fair enough. I may be a little touchy today. I've been getting nothing but bad news all morning :/

:same:

I'll wear it with pride shame for a day or two and then buy lowtax some more bones

Sorry to hear that Bloop. I think you're one of the best posters in this thread :D

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

Was this game good? It looked great but I heard very little hype after it finally came out

I played it through steam link and kinda hated it. The gameplay is just not so engaging and the story is super depressing and apparently it just stays that way. Super pretty though

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Zas posted:

when you get down to it pretty much everything good about video games comes from nausicaa

Those cool lasers that explode so satisfyingly after a delay: also from Nausicaa.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Dead Cells is $8 on GMG and I've been waiting for it to come to switch.
I snagged it and LOVE it. $35 on Switch is ridiculous. That's $10 more than PC.

How do you know it will be $35 it doesn't even have a release date yet.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
A while back someone posted a website where you could buy eshop cards with a discount. Which site was that and is it legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Oh poo poo Okami is by Clover. Those guys are (were) the coolest

• Locked thread