Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

How'd you draw that exact lovely star twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DS games should just be downloadable through the 3DS. I know there are some obstacles that make this difficult, but if they intend to continue bolstering the importance of the 3DS as a strong handheld, they should do it there. Maybe a future model could do this

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Your entire library becomes insanely portable. Actual load times are kind of a trivial unnoticeable thing

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that it's very much a hardware issue and not a software one. Not to mention that changing the hardware architecture to accommodate this could potentially brick random 3DS games.

It could be impossible, but DS games are best enjoyed on a small 2 screen device. Playing DS games on the Wii U sucks

Spellman
May 31, 2011

whaley posted:

my left joycon has trouble if i roll into a ball around the joycon and lay in the floor

File a lawsuit for your mental anguish AND get your joycon repaired

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 3DS is being replaced by the Switch, much like how the DS was the "third pillar" with the Gamecube and GBA.

Nah, they'll kill off third pillars but not seconds. The 3DS will have a successor because the Switch's successor could flop

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Switch is the NWO

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I would guess they'd try to make something insanely pocketable to replace the 3DS

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's gonna be preeeeetty cool when Overcooked comes out on the Switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

E-Money posted:

Is there a secret to playing zelda in handheld mode comfortably? I was really excited about playing handheld but am really struggling with the joycons. Especially on the right side. Everything feels out of place and i have to do a claw grip to get everything to work. Already switched jump/sprint controls. Maybe my baby sensitive hands are just spoiled by PS4/Xbone/Pro controllers but it's been really uncomfortable. I think it would be fine for other games but it just feels like an awkward stretch.

Rip the joycons off and try to find a way to play in tabletop mode. Though it doesn't technically fix the gate between your thumb's reach and the lower buttons and joystick, the added comfort of playing with your arms where they want to be will make it work

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The wings are also quite jagged

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Haven't there been other amiibones with pointy bits?

Many, but they're usually flimsy or bendable

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What has to happen

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The real reason Daisy is never invited to important delegations.

She shows up in her shorts saying she came straight from the gym.

Hi I'm lazy!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Some leveled squids in my plaza, did the splatfest already happen?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The biggest problem with Joy Cons is the gate between your thumb's reach and the lower joystick and buttons. The only remedy would be to angle them inwardly so that your thumb can sweep over to the joystick more naturally. Unfortunately, this would also change the angle you'd have to press to go a certain direction, and the R&L triggers would be positioned differently as well. Also, it's ugly

Doesn't bother me in BotW but I'd definitely need the pro for Smash Bros

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game is some stupid fun

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ormy posted:

The switch is really good. This thread? Not so much.

You also pay 3000% more for a switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

None of your friends will be using this app. A couple of goons will try it on the first day

Kids might like it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You just have a lot of gates to get through if you want to use the app

• You have to have a headset, which is mainly the splatoon one that you have to go out of your way to buy and will probably be rare
• You have to be close to your switch (for now), which makes most TV arrangements not viable
• Your phone screen always needs to be on, and probably charging which is another wire to add to this tentacle beast of messy clutter
• The aforementioned inability to switch between apps during voice communication

Maybe one or some of these things are passable, but all together it's going to put a lot of people off. With other apps, all you need is your phone and a headset is semi-optional since most apps can typically suppress feedback and background nose

But it's also supposed to be an efficient way to access information and features from games, which could be interesting with games like Animal Crossing on the horizon. Would be cool to check other people's maps and towns, and promote sales from the various stores a la cheesy Tom Nook ads. You could look up turnip prices... it's got infinite potential. If a cheap headset option was packed-in with a popular game, or marketed well enough, they could probably pull it off, but for now it's counterintuitive to everything the Switch is

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Not defending the phone app so don't jump on me but these first two aren't true. You only need to sit close if you want to have the audio coming into headphones at the same time as voice and you can do that with any cheap audio splicer adapter and I'm pretty sure there are some Bluetooth ones out there now (don't quote me on that). Otherwise you can just use a little Bluetooth ear piece tied to your phone and play the audio from the TV/Surround sound like normally. Would still be easier to just have it through the system though yeah

But if you're not mixing the audio, why are you using the app? I do think there will be options to mitigate this in the future, but they gotta be all-in-one or else it's just another gate

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No more pretending, Al Borderland Corp

Spellman
May 31, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

....why? You can just use Discord on your PC while you play PC games, and cut out that audio middle man

The convenience of phones has made it so some people don't use a PC microphone or headset. Just a phone and a pair of earbuds

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Well, for one it doesn't work if you minimize the app or lock the screen.

I'm in the Nintendo app, chatting from Discord rn

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well I don't have any octoling of why they did it that way

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A good cheap small TV option for low lag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=dislag-20

You can't beat a CRT, but some flat-screens like this one come close

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

PC gaming? Windows phones? No Stardew Valley?

Truly, this thread is in the darkest timeline.

Nah, the darkest timeline is the one where Monster Hunter 4 is a PS4 exclusive, Metroid Prime: Scar the next Metroid, and Overwatch is confirmed for Switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The biggest slight against this app is none of your friends will use it. That's basically it. Besides its technical inferiority to every other messaging app you can get on your phone, none of your friends are going to be on it for voice chat. Mixing audio is basically the only advantage this app can provide at the moment, and there's at least 3 or 4 technical hurdles bogging that experience down. I think they'll fix them, but it will take a big game to popularize it

Like some people are saying, the most 1:1 convenient experience would've been if voice comm was cooked right into the Switch without the need for an app. But if they can make the app fun and interactive, it could have some value

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I beat Zelda in 0.5x power button presses

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zelder posted:

Did the Wii u have a lot of Wii ports? I own one but I can't remember

Resident Evil 4, the New Play Control series of games, others

Spellman
May 31, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Wii Downloads for WiiU but those weren't ports.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was a Wii game, so was RE4 and the New Play Control games. All of them were playable on WiiU (provided you had Wii Remote/Nunchuk), but there were never any actual ports of them. The only actual port of a Wii game to WiiU was, like, Twilight Princess I'm pretty sure (and technically that was a GameCube port). Well, maybe some indie or 3rd party stuff was ported from Wii to WiiU.

What's your definition of port?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Wii Downloads for WiiU but those weren't ports.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was a Wii game, so was RE4 and the New Play Control games.

Spellman posted:

What's your definition of port?

Nevermind, I just figured it out. What I was saying was RE:4 and the New Play Control series are ports of Gamecube games, on the Wii

Spellman
May 31, 2011

One thing that is useful in the app

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Does it list rooms from friends hosting games if you weren't invited?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

At least until we start paying for it in 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Who shuts down their switch

Power button sleepifies it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s a long standing tradition to have a lovely 3rd party controller for the last player to get to your place.

There's enough 8bitdo controllers to go around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Vita also had a built-in microphone so you could do voice chat without even needing a headset.

So did the Wii U

Hypothetically

• Locked thread