Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Futaba Anzu posted:

hello friends i just got the switch i bought off amazon prime this morning. it is very nice

Can I ask how you got something you ordered off of Amazon same day? Or do you mean you ordered it a day or two ago and it just came this morning?

Woop woop Prime Day. My buddy Zach basically sets it up and runs it. I already bought two teapots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Futaba Anzu posted:

i ordered it at 8am when it got posted about in the thread and mashed through it clicking on FREE same day shipping and it got delivered in about 10 hours because i live close to an amazon storehouse

Oh man super cool. I live in Nowheresville so I just get two day shipping and live with that.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/troll_and_i_stomps_onto_switch_next_month_with_a_usd30_price_tag
Headline: Troll And I Stomps Onto Switch Next Month With A $30 Price Tag
Tagline: Co-op adventure "perfect" for Switch, says publisher Maximum Games

perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect

Edit: Apparently this is a physical game. Perfect.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

incoherent posted:

Solid red joycons. They're releasing them at a solid clip at this point.

I'm unsure if those were sold separately or just in the bundle. I hope it's the former because they were snazzy.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Edit: So I'm going to pick up Doom and Wolfenstein even though I don't like that genre of games just because I want to send the message that we want more of that type of game. Am I crazy?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Also, Xenoblade comes out on my birthday. I'm pretty excited because it looks decent, but the stuff about it in the Direct (aka the instruction manual) was lame and boring. I'm hoping I get a good birthday present and not a lovely one.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

eonwe posted:

have you played the new doom or the most recent Wolfenstein? you might like them

No but that is a good point. I don't play outside my comfort zone enough.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

GreenNight posted:

Heaven can't even get switches because of the shortages.

Untrue, Jesus can turn Wii Us into Switches. It's in his updated miracle list. In the Second Coming everybody with a Wii U gets a free Switch from Jesus.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Al Borland Corp. posted:

drat I forgot about Pokemon. There's seven rpgs. gently caress, eight if you count Tecmo's Sword of the Stars.

Can't forget the Mario RPGs.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So this is off topic but I'm trying to get a TEFL certificate (teaching English as a foreign language certificate) so I've gone back to school for that and I'm currently in the class leading up to the practicum, which is supposed to teach us various teaching methods, how to make a lesson plan, etc. One of our assignments is to make a 50-minute lesson plan and then teach the "best" 12 minutes of that plan to our class. It's not until a little later in the year but I'm hoping to use my Switch in it. The teacher said we should incorporate something that interests us, for example if we can play the guitar or something. I immediately thought of the Switch. So I thought I would use 1-2 Switch to teach the present participle. I am counting balls, She is tilting the controller, He is eating sandwiches. It's something that has salvaged a game I otherwise have been unable to play. I brought a guy I am thinking of dating over to try and unlock all the games (which we did) and we had a pretty decent time with the game, but some of them were really obtuse or not fun.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Glad to see I successfully derailed the thread for a page and a half while I was asleep. Wtf.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Charles Mansion posted:

Is any of the in-game Amiibo crap actually interesting or is it just a bunch of cosmetic or otherwise inconsequential fluff?

For BotW, if you have every (Zelda) amiibo like I do and you scan them every day it's pretty game breaking. The other amiibos give you prizes too but I'm not going to waste an hour or more scanning my 90+ amiibo collection and my 200+ cards.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Just rang in the new year with my boyfriend. Boyfriend is relatively new so this was a first, both the ringing in the year together and what we chose to do. We decided to play a bunch of Switch games together. My Switch, he doesn't have one. We play Snipperclips, Pokken (he's a big Pokemon fan), Mario Kart, Astro Bears Party, and finally we broke out two player vs Tetris on Puyo Puyo Tetris. I was completely kicking his rear end at Tetris, like just destroying him, and I asked if anything was wrong. He goes, "I dunno." So I proceed to stomp him again. This is where I say that I had been using the Pro Controller all night and he had been using the Joy-con grip that came with the Switch. So finally I have him swap controllers and HE proceeds to kick MY rear end at Tetris. And I, having never played with the Joy-con grip, learn that the Joy-con grip is hot buttered rear end.

1.) Good boyfriend, will be keeping him.
2.) I guess I should get him a controller that doesn't suck. (Aka shell out for a second Pro Controller.)

Once I discovered the problem (and seriously we had been playing for SEVERAL HOURS at this point) we switched to him playing Mario Odyssey and me spectating, because since he doesn't have a Switch he hadn't gotten a chance to play it yet.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

nerd_of_prey posted:

Never let your boyfriend or friends have the best controller, it is your right as the switch haver to always win.

No I get this. But it is also my job as Good Girlfriend to let him beat me on (very rare) occasion. He can't do this with assy controllers..

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

nerd_of_prey posted:

Maybe I'm bad girlfriend then as my method drove him to buy his own pro controller to win back some dignity! Now I'm typing this I feel kinda bad especially as he bought me my switch and pro controller in the first place, he created this monster!

My current Boyfriend v 1.0 works in a grocery store because the job in his field (social work) laid him off so v 1.0 cannot afford to buy a Pro Controller unless they go on sale. Which. It is to laugh. Luckily there is me, the Good Girlfriend (TM) who has money from basically mooching off her parent. (My elderly father pays me to take care of him. I would do it for free. He really needs the help but then I really need the money.)

I'm thinking of buying v 1.0 his own Switch when Pokemon comes out. That will be his real driving interest. Though he kept begging to go back to Pokken but he whined like a little pussy when I beat him so. He basically liked it because it was the one game he was actually winning for whatever reason (reason: we switched Pokemon every turn after I crushed him with Charizard several times). I had no interest in getting beat due to not being allowed to use Charizard. Basically if I got him a Switch now with Mario, Zelda, and Pokken, he'd be pretty happy. And a Pro Controller. His birthday isn't until August though.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Joycon grip is really good for Puyo Puyo Tetris actually, the discrete D-pad buttons minimize incorrect inputs

I beg to differ.

Anyone think they are going to put Banjo-Kazooie into Smash? Microsoft seems to be wanting to play nice with Nintendo unlike Sony (for example cross platform play).

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

and a certain amount of stamina (or LOTS of food) for a tower, so you'll want to get both at least somewhat up anyway.

Or you could just beat a certain DB and cheese all the towers forever!

Have I mentioned how great this game is with player choice and allowing you to solve problems any way you want to?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Reality Loser posted:

I have no idea which tower you're talking about. I did them all with less than 2 stamina rings. I had more trouble clearing out enemies than I did with running out of stamina. Climb up somewhere high and jump to the tower.

I think there is a tower where the platforms don't start until most of the way up. Edit: Not the Gerudo one either. A different one.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So if you want to feel even better about Nintendo's 2017, here are NintendoLife's Year Ahead articles for 2017 and 2018. Notice how depressed 2017's is.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/feature_hopes_and_dreams_for_nintendos_2017

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/feature_what_we_want_from_nintendo_in_2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I was thinking of getting Enter the Gungeon after I saw some good reviews but held off because it's not quite a genre I like. Glad I did because this sounds really tedious and frustrating. Maybe by the time it's on sale it'll be patched and stable.

Edit: And speaking of on sale Oxenfree is 75% off. Another one that's not my preferred genre but for $5 I couldn't pass it up.

Why yes my Steam catalog is 97% games I got on sale and haven't played, why do you ask?

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 2, 2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stardew Valley still hasn't come out for the Switch in Japan and there's no indication it ever will, even though it's been on Steam here for a long time. I wonder why not? It has no competition for that kind of game on the platform right now.

Can you not change your region and download it off a different eShop? That's how I got the Disgaea 5 demo in very early days.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

GoldfishStew posted:

For real, I used to want to live in the forums (like we would *think* and it’d become posts)

I'm sorry.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Just had a total brain wave of how I can streamline my bedroom while having both the Switch and PS4 connected at the same time and have space for games, controllers, headsets, everything. For relatively cheap, too. Let's see if it makes sense in the morning when I haven't had a sleeping pill. Too bad there won't be space to hook up my 16 other systems and games but that game room in progress is two floors down anyway.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yes, it disconnects after about half a minute of no input as you surmised. I remember this from a Jimquistion in April where Jim specifically tested the smart steering and auto acceleration online.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sooooo... that Zelda DLC final boss... Did not see that coming. Loved it though and it was tough as balls. I don't understand the people who hated the DLC because all things considered I thought it added quite a bit of content to the game!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I once fought a Lynel who repeatedly sent thunder arrows my way even though I was on top of a cliff above him (yay rubber suit) and kept teleporting several feet away in a pink/purple portal. I have screenshots of the latter but I'm too lazy to dig them out at 3:30 am.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Hi, this is from pages back, but I have An Opinion.

Harrow posted:

The only other real complaint I have about Breath of the Wild is something I'd also apply to Super Mario Odyssey: there are a ton of not-very-meaningful shrines (and, in Odyssey, moons). BotW has tons of samey shrines, or just Monk's Blessing shrines that just don't add anything other than a couple of loading screens between the player and a spirit orb. And Odyssey has loads of low-effort moons just lying all over the place.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that's the kind of thing that's only going to stand out if you're looking for every shrine and moon you can find. If you're just making your way through the game to get the basic ending, the large number of collectibles ensures that no matter where you go and where you look, you'll probably find enough to proceed, and you'll find a healthy variety of activities along the way, too. It's just that, as a natural consequence of allowing the player some freedom while also not standing in the way of the player's progress, there have to be a shitload of these things around. The side effect is that a completionist nerd like me is going to notice there are like ten Test of Strength shrines in BotW or start to wonder why they can't just give me a spirit orb for solving an open world puzzle without making me load into and out of a Monk's Blessing shrine each time, or get really tired of throwing Cappy at like three birds in every kingdom in Mario Odyssey. But that's probably a trade-off that's worth making.

That said I hope the next Zelda takes shrine-like puzzles (using mechanics like BotW's runes) and combines them into themed dungeons because I think there's a ton of potential there.

So Zelda and Mario are both rated E10 which means they are games for ten year olds and up. So you and I may be thirty-five years old and be able to get every last shrine or power moon but our ten year old sons/daughters/nieces/nephews and especially their younger brothers and sisters who still want to play a cool Nintendo game too probably aren't capable of 100% completing the game. But their experience with the game is just as valid as ours. You can't act like the game is made for You, the Gaming Adult when it is literally rated for "Everyone." Kids have just as much right to see the end of the game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Don't worry, in 2019 we'll also be talking about the flaws inherent in Metroid.

Edit:

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my favorite DLC shrines was the one that you think was going to be another boring combat shrine and then right as you’re like “wow they loving did this again in the paid DLC?”, the floor opens up after killing the guardian.

No, that was my favorite shrine period too.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

World of Goo maybe? Oh and Shovel Knight has co-op! Snipperclips!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The bolded sections he's taking about would be far better if not shrines though. Like imagine instead of going through two loading screens and four cutscenes for a monks blessing when you find a secret shrine, the monk was just there at the secret area you found along with a teleportation pad and you went through one cutscene and zero loading screens. Shrines that are essentially empty would be better as just part of the existing environment like the shrine of resurrection.

That's debatable. Some of the blessing shrines the puzzle is getting to them and the aesthetic is kept that it is a holy place yadda yadda.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The Manticore posted:

Use your ice power on the ice blocks

Do what s/he said.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

empathe posted:

I think Cryosis is the weakest power and the most easily forgotten but yeah.

No way Cryosis owns. I can't pronounce it but it's great. You can use it to get across any body of water. That spiral shrine? gently caress carrying the ball over land and dealing with the enemies, just make some ice pillars and cheese the thing.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Arguing elsewhere that Madden and CoD would be good for the Switch to have (if they are decent ports that arrive day and date). I used to work at Gamestop and those were always our biggest launches. Not sure if the so called "typical Nintendo audience" would pick them up but I think a lot of other new people that haven't had a Nintendo system since they were a kid would. It could go a long way to that 20m figure Kimishima was on about. And maybe AssCreed too. Thoughts? I would at least pick up AssCreed and I could convince my boyfriend he needed CoD (once I buy him a Switch). I know we think it's some combo of Pokemon/Smash/Animal Crossing to get to 20m but could it be third party support too?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

if that latest WWE game wasn't a total pile of poo poo i would have bought it immediately, but it is and i didn't. but yeah more third party on switch is something i am totally in favor of. wii u got some assassins creed stuff so it doesnt seem totally unbelievable? i'd spring for the ezio games or black flag, maybe.

Oh yeah, me too. I guess it doesn't have to be current gen AssCreed, just one of the "good" ones to take on the go. I guess those games are *cough**gag*retro now as much as it pains me to say it so Jimmy who grew up with PS360 as his first console might be wanting to revisit his childhood.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

while i am talking third party pipe dreams, wheres dark souls and dead space 1 at!?

Well we know From Software is doing something based on that infographic from last year. Dark Souls in some form is possible.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So there is apparently a Nipple% category for SMO speedruns and the record is 9:54. You have to get to the Sand Kingdom and get 1000 coins for this category.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214959941?t=

Hooray?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's an inferior and less fun version of the 1st game. Save your $60 for something else.

Wrong!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rolo posted:

There was like a 12 page research paper about Zelda that drowned out any other conversation while being filled with the same argument over and over.

Story bad.
Story good.
Story ok, rain bad.
Rain and story good.

Etc.

You forgot rain good, story bad.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mahoning posted:

Guys it’s been a cold week across most of the US. It’s -11 with the wind chill right now. These BOTW hot takes are keeping me warm.

Hot take: Zelda is a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Is there a trick to aiming boomerangs?

Just use a different weapon.