Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

At least don't be horny for 17 year olds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fremry posted:

Fixed that for you.

Hmm

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's crazy I was just about to make a post about how good hollow knight is, lol.

Give it till you get the wall jump ability, that's when my appreciation for the game kicked into overdrive

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm beginning to think people have misrepresented the difficulty of hollow knight, considering I just took out the mantis lords on the first attempt. The game is challenging but pretty generous about giving you time to react and figure out patterns. Plus you can heal!

Hollow knight is good y'all

Edited out the name of a boss, in case you're wondering what's behind the text

Zelder fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 19, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Spellman posted:

Challenging but fair

homeless snail posted:

Imo challenging and difficult are opposing concepts. Challenging games are hard but want you to succeed and overcome their challenges. Difficult games very much do not. Hollow Knight is the former.

I'd agree with both of these. I've just heard people talking up the difficulty of this game so I went in expecting like... dante must die mode from dmc3

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ultra smash was undeniably bare bones and not worth 60 bucks, this one seems like a good amount of content for the price. And the core gameplay is absolutely incredible

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think people should put spoilers in spoiler tags. It is an easy thing, to be kind to others

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Enderzero posted:

lmao at this weiner in the kotaku comments

"I got that impression in the demo. There was WAY too many things happening. Too many buttons to press with split second timing. Hold this button, press this button, run over there, now run back, the gauge is filled up, oh poo poo! as I was looking at the gauge for a millisecond the ball flew passed me!

It’s just all too much. It took the fun out of it. It’s not that it’s challenging. It’s frustrating. I lost typically because I pressed the wrong button at the wrong time. Meh, I can do without just fine."

I didn't instantly master this game, so it must just be too much. I lost by hitting the wrong button which is only a thing that exists in this game and not the most basic description of losing at a video game.

Someone then mentions that there is a vanilla mode with the flashy stuff turned off.

"I don’t want it all gone. Then it’s just boring. It’s just not a game for me. That’s fine. If other’s enjoy it, go for it. I just think they tried too hard to make it “exciting”."

too much! not enough! A True Weiner

I'm gonna dunk that dude in a toilet

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Huxley posted:

That's one of the things I'm holding out to see if it's a thing. Like, if vanilla tennis mode is cool and good and there's some online stuff going on with it and people seem to enjoy it and play it.

I suspect it'll be a vs CPU only nothing mode, but we'll see! Vanilla mode feels like a thing they felt obligated to fit in based on feedback from a lot of people saying, "you have made a tennis game that doesn't feel like tennis and is too hard to understand." But I definitely hope it's a thing they put real care into.

They said in the demo that you could play the simple mode online

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

And vanilla mode will probably be the same perfect gameplay they've had since power tennis. I can't imagine they'd make too many tweaks to it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo consoles better than the N64: all of them except for the virtual boy.

Playstation consoles better than the N64: all of them.

Xbox consoles better than the N64: this is an interesting argument. 360 for sure. The original Xbox, maybe. The bone is pretty bad. But it does have Rare Replay, so it is basically a N64 already.

Sega consoles better than the N64: Genesis, Dreamcast, maybe the master system.

And the TG16 was better, too.

So that adds up to the N64 being one of the very worst consoles of all time.

This post reflexively made me do the jerk off motion

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

slev posted:

What is the better press A to kill many men game between fire emblem and hyrule warriors?

Fire emblem is the better game mechanically, but hyrule has way more content and more love/ creativity put into it. Plus the recycled movesets in fire emblem piss me off. Zelda is better

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also tennis aces is the best fighting game on the market right now

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The tennis aces netcode is really good now. I would decline match after match in the demo but now I've had to decline one match out twenty

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The shittiest thing few does is charge you for dlc characters that have the same movesets as characters in the base game. That really sucks

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Which took us two games with DLC for each to get to.

In which case, I'd also include the Trident, Linkle, Skull Kid, Toon Link, Tetra, and King Daphnes.

When few released DLC they added a brunch of clone characters so I don't think this argument is one you want to use

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Like, they had the opportunity to add more diversity and they added...3 new movesets I think. Over 3 dlc packs

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

But on the flipside, they added 3 characters per pack compared to Hyrule Warriors adding at most 4 new characters. Over 3 dlc packs.

The new weapons were essentially new characters though, in that they brought new movesets

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

As a side note, I've won 4 tournaments in tennis aces and I think it's time I go professional. Who do I contact to get into esports

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Wow, I guess few warriors having clones for DLC is good because I can't use two links at the same time in hyrule warriors (?!?)

Seriously I get that you prefer few but that is an absolutely insane defense of bad practices

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’d take a new Mario strikers I miss that game

Didn't you get banned from this thread for being psychotic

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Just beat a bunch of my coworkers at Mario tennis during lunch with the switch in kickstand mode.

Next week we're playing for people's lunches

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Microsoft spent too much money on minecraft to not put it everywhere

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

If someone is basing their whole opinion of a nationality of people based off one video game character, then they have other problems that need addressed.

I agree, the media around us has no impact on the way people view the world

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Elman posted:

Mario actually has an American accent but he fakes an Italian one cause he doesn't want people to assume he's an idiot.

Mario puts bowser kingdom pins on his bags when he studies abroad

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Disgaea 5 is the pinnacle of Disgaea tech and if you give it the chance it'll steal your whole life away

Feel free to skip the remake of the first one that's coming out soon, I think it has all the clunky disgaea 1 mechanics with a new coat of paint. Disgaea 1 does have the best/ funniest story though

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

dawn of sorrow is my favorite castlevania but that's probably nostalgia speaking. portrait of ruin is probably better

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Over There posted:

JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE JONATHAN CHARLOTTE

hell yeah

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The best thing about Soma was his bomb rear end jacket

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

In Mario Tennis if a player uses his super and then I counter with a super why does it put me in the back loving corner every time so I have no possible way to get it if they block it?

it's been mentioned but countering a super with a super leaves you at a huge disadvantage.

If you both have full super meters it behooves you to use yours first, or to make them use zone speed somehow

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Y'all made the soul master sound way harder than he actually is!!!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jackbox 3 > 4 > 1 = 2

But they're all pretty great

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I put a screen protector on my switch but not on my phone. I'm a loving loose cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

To take away from Screen Protector Chat, I have a story to share! People seem to like hearing stories about playing Switch with younger family members and such, so here's one from me.

We went to visit my husband's little brother (age 13) for his birthday. He doesn't have a Switch, but he has a Wii U... but no Mario Kart 8. He has Mario Kart Wii. We brought our Switch and figured he'd be delighted to play Mario Kart 8 instead.

Oh boy were we wrong. not 5 minutes into it he starts moaning about how "the physics" are different and how he'd really rather play Mario Kart Wii instead. PHYSICS. In loving MARIO KART. It was like listening to that one Smash prima donna who ragequit a tournament because he couldn't play Melee with his controller that was broken in a specific way.

Oh we let the little poo poo have it. We've known him since he was a baby and there's no way we're letting that fly. After we teased him for awhile, he noticed the Battle Mode and wanted to try that. Sure, sure. Actually we hadn't touched the Battle Mode yet so we were totally willing to try it out. We sat down to play that and suddenly we didn't hear one word about The Physics. Not a PEEP. He was just having the time of his life playing Cops and Robbers with us. It was great. We had a blast!

But seriously I don't think I've met a single person who prefers Mario Kart Wii to anything and who the hell complains about the physics in Mario Kart of all things?

Mk 8is better but mkwii had some super fun stuff you could take advantage of. Also dk mountain is the best track in any Mario kart game and it's a shame it's not in mk 8

• Locked thread