Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Spellman posted:

DS games should just be downloadable through the 3DS. I know there are some obstacles that make this difficult, but if they intend to continue bolstering the importance of the 3DS as a strong handheld, they should do it there. Maybe a future model could do this

The 3DS is being replaced by the Switch, much like how the DS was the "third pillar" with the Gamecube and GBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

They don't have two competing handhelds though. They have one handheld and one console with a battery backup.

Nintendo considers the Switch a combination handheld/console. It is the replacement dor the Wii U and 3DS. They are not going to split development between consoles and handhelds anymore because the Switch is both.

They've literally been talking about combining them since before Iwata died.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sounds like the broken controllers are just "experts" capitalizing on an exploit to give them an advantage over normies, however small.

If you need a very specific controller to play the game, you are basically cheating. This is no different than using a turbo button to win a mashing contest. These controllers are allowed in tournament play?

Melee is real bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

How do you come to that conclusion? Everyone at these events is an expert. These guys are trying not to stand in one place for 5-9 frames in an environment where they could very well be punished for it. With the wrong controller even the best melee player can't consistently perform a proper backdash, and joes like myself would struggle to do it with the best controller.

Rules vary from tourney to tourney but these controllers are basically necessary for certain events. Most people in this forum only became aware of this foible with backwards dashes due to news that a well-known Melee player couldn't find a good controller for an upcoming event and had to cancel.

As to whether it's cheating or not, that's more or less up to the community to decide. In my opinion it's the code that's busted and hardware or software fixes should be employed at events. Inconsistent input issues don't make for a better game.

They're using a non-standard controller to do a move that is impossible or nearly impossible to do with a standard controller that givers them an advantage over players that are using standard controllers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Shorthopping is just letting go of jump during the jump squat animation.

Adapt; high level competition in eSports should come down to the limitations of the player and the game, not the limitations of an input method unsuited for high level play. The GameCube controller is pretty poo poo for where Melee stands, especially when you take into account the wide amount of production issues that make nearly all GC pads slightly different giving some a "natural" advantage over another.

Seeking oit rare hardware to gain an atypical advantage is not the same as standard variation in hardware prodiction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you know that a properly functioning GameCube pad without a skewed analog stick is pretty rare?

A skewed analog stick doesn't give you a competitive advantage and no one has taken their ball and gone home because their stick wasn't hosed up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CrashCat posted:

who do you think built all those skyscrapers? sure they may have named it New Donk City but I bet the Donks still got a raw deal

Can't believe that SMRPG is finally getting a sequel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

Gyro controls still just don't feel that right, even using something like the roller.

They're fine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Anyone heard any news on a few special games for Switch coming in the future?

No, sorry.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Splatoon 2 has a campaign AND a horde co-op mode in addition to multiplayer.

ARMS is really original and zany but its just a multiplayer fighting game at the end of the day. People who don't like lots of competitive multiplayer fighting just don't get much length out of them by comparison to a game with a campaign.

I've been saying fighting games need campaigns but the people who really like fighting games don't want that at all, so :shrug:

MK9 and X as well as SFV's story modes were pretty well received.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ventana posted:

Yeah no SFV's story mode sucks. It's got nothing on NRS story modes which are pretty good.

I just said it was well received. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the MK and Injustice stories but no other fighters are. Sure beats just having an arcade mode with text over art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

$70 physical vs $60 digital for me with no real resale market

The only thing with digital is 32gb seems ridiculously small. What's micro sd situation on this thing

It can support up to 2TB cards, which don't exist yet. 128GB is the current "sweet spot" for MicroSD.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

how much space is on the switch anyway...cuz while digital splat2n might not be much more expensive then physical, having to buy an memory card would make it kinda pointless since id have to go to a store anyway

32GB internal, Splatoon 2 is 5.5GB.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Pistachio ice cream is very good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does nobody there try to import

I mean, especially when games are more expensive in Japan for no reason and this is region free

All those regions with excess Switches, such as

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I'm in Canada and have never seen a Switch in stock. I got lucky and got one from amazon prime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Bloop posted:

I regret paying full price for Other M and XCX and that's pretty much it

XCX was good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

You wouldn't be complaining if there were big dongs.

The day that big dongs are as common in games as big tits is the day that I stop complaining about overly sexualized character designs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

ARMS is dead in 3 days

:rip:

Here lies Spring Man
He never scored

ARMS is good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Then why is Splatoon killing it Friday?

Fashionable teens with guns are cooler than weird boxers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LethalGeek posted:

Nah they're right.
This is because reviewers are bad idiots 99% of the time.

Waaah, someone has a different opinion about a video game than me, I have to use moron buzzwords

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Beastie posted:

I bet SuperHot would be pretty rad if they found a way to make the Joycon's motion controls work in the context of whipping pistols at people.

SuperHot would be an amazing Switch game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Splatoon is the game a fuckton of people love and play but was doomed to get so-so reviews for a polished AAA Nintendo titles both times. First because lack of content at launch, and second because it was too similar to the first, despite having far expanded content than Splatoon 1 at launch. I wager if we never had Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 was the full package at launch for the Switch, it'd be a low 90s game akin to Overwatch and MK8D.

For the appeal it draws its weird to think of it as a low 80s metacritic game, since I imagine this time around its going to sell like gangbusters even more so now that its on a console with an actual install base.

Meanwhile expansion packs that are just more of the same poo poo for FF14 get in the 90s :psyduck:

Also why did MK8D get such good reviews for being a literal rehash with just an added battle mode and some very small unlock quality of life changes?

MK8 is an excellent game and low Wii U sales means that not a whole lot of people played it. It didn't suddenly get worse when it was ported.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot HD CRTs are a thing. Are they worth it? Most of them seem to be a decade+ old.

Nope

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

katkillad2 posted:

Windows phone.

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Housh posted:

Amazon.ca emailed to tell me my Splatoon 2 preorder will arrive between July 26- 28 wtf?

gently caress Amazon Prime!

Amazon Canada is pretty slow in general

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

I get that, but how critical is voice to Nintendo's user base?
Beyond Splatoon and maybe XCX, I can't think of too many NIPs that would benefit from voice.

Monster Hunter

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Monster Hunter player communication should be limited to emotes and pings as god intended.

Also World isn't coming to the Switch which makes it unlikely future entries are.

MonHun XX is getting Switch'd

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Astro7x posted:

I hope they don't meet release day delivery. Get the game for 20% off, and then complain and get $10-$20 for getting the game a couple days later. Where else can you get a name AAA game for $28-$38?

New games are $80 in Canada. So we'd be getting for about $60, depending on taxes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Anidav posted:

Nerf kid cobra that grab shouldnt do loving 170

Bollocks character

The already nerfed him by taking his stage off ranked

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

StabMasterArson posted:

so being real is this going to be another Wii U with like 1 or 2 games worth a poo poo per year. its already gathering its first inch of dust

Nah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bowmore posted:

what's the easiest way to play Splatoon? or do I just have to practice the combination motion aim with buttons on the pro controller?

The motion control are real good and worth getting used to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

raditts posted:

How do the motion controls work when you presumably either have to move your head along with the screen if you're playing it in handheld mode, and can't move it at all if it's docked?
Did they include an accelerometer in the pro controller this time and/or can you move the joycons around for the same effect?

Yes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Stardew Valley, much like the Harvest Moon series of video games, hold no interest for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/887847249274970113

This would be an odd thing to obsess about, but then why does the official character guide make a point of it in the first place?

Mario has a type and it's women with a name that starts with P

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My local Walmart still has Mario kart Wii and Mario galaxy for like $30. They also have the PS2 GTA collection for $20. Its bizarre

Walmart is bad is why

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Heran Bago posted:

I imagined it would use your smartphone's mic, with a connection directly to the switch which your headphones connect to. Smart phone mics aren't lovely anymore, only call quality with traditional phone systems.

The new device is cool in that it lets you use your own gaming headset, provided that it can a combined jack for mic and headphones.

You can just use your phone mic. That diagram is specifically for the splatoon 2 headset they're selling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nopantsjack posted:

Did the online service where you get a rom with multi enabled for a couple weeks in return for a sub fee ever materialise?
I followed the switch thread like crazy then fell off when it came out, once this badboy gets an SMT or a Pokemon I'm gonna be dragged in like always with these drat things. *Glares at dusty 3DS*

Comes out next year

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

InFlames235 posted:

Ya the smart phone app is probably in the top 5 worst things Ninty has ever done. It's just crazy that the idea went through so many executives at the company and actually got greenlighted.

Virtual Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

InFlames235 posted:

It'd be cool to have the integrated app for all that data as long as we could just connect straight to the Switch to do the actual voice chatting piece. The whole adapter and 5,000 cables thing to do that is the ultimate lame part.

You don't need any cables unless you want a headset

• Locked thread