Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Don't you just hit directions in time with the music? Do you really need to be mashing your thumb all over the place on a dpad?

I meant Octopath Traveler, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Thats pretty much exactly what I thought of while watching the direct. I can't imagine it'll be as bad as the early SaGa games though.

Imagine if SaGa exchanged its mechanical obscurantism for higher production values. This is my impression.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

- Items don't seem to have a description when you highlight them, such as when using items in combat? It's needed and one of many things going in the survey.

Press Y. You can see the hint for this in the pause menu.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe in the full game in addition to an attack boost with R, you can use your points on a defense boost with Zr

You can already use boost on the Defend action. Try it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Uncompressed data, under some circumstances, loads noticeably faster. There's always a possible trade-off between time and space, and most devs believe most users prefer faster loading times above all else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I really hope they took advantage of the HD Rumble for glory kills

We should get used to separating Bethesda Softworks the overall company from Bethesda Game Studio the Todd Howard brainchild. The people who made games like DOOM and Wolfenstein have proven to be far more competent at optimization than any Elder Scrolls/Fallout game. If it was Fallout 4 on Switch then I'd be more worried.

Bethesda is a publisher with an in-house development studio also called Bethesda.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bean posted:

Dumb question. I finished Primrose's path in Octopath Traveler. Do I need to start a new game for the other guy's path?

You can go into Olberic's area and recruit him and finish some sidequests that he's necessary for, but in order to see his plotline you have to start a new game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm ready to start continue demanding Wargroove.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

a cow seems like it would just be a big inconvenience to have unless you've already got the full complement of ranching accoutrements + the wide open range

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I crave... apps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it's got gyro aiming, I might bite.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stardoom

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It looks like making this good will be a big challenge but I wish the developers luck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yes, those kind of experiences. Much better than pushing down old ladies, throwing piss on people and stabbing horses.

Well over it, gently caress McCarthyism, but doesn't mean bad ideologies are now peachy even if they are fighting other bad ideologies.

Na, I like when reputable real people fight it too.

Thank you for coming here, to the Nintendo Switch thread, to make sure that we all knew what you thought about protesters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wonder what new game they're going to be announcing in the finals.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Doom has gyroscopic aiming,I might double dip.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sorry, chum: it actually owns.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a feeling like ARMS 2 is going to be really excellent.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reasons for the minimalistic music in Breath of the Wild were certainly artistic and not a result of technical inability. Music in video games has not been meaningfully technically constrained for years.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

🔜

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I know, I was just lampooning how every single time I see someone ask about Fire Emblem (including myself) on various sites, people respond with "it's a Musou game" as if that has any meaning at all.

"Hey, never heard of baseball? it's a sport game."

So why complain about it to us. "Musou" is the name of a series of games that has the same basic concept and spans multiple franchises. Dynasty Warriors is the main one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Because if you don't know anything about the franchise why would the word Musou hold any meaning at all or explain anything at all?

Instead of complaining to us, you could ask the person you're talking to, who obviously knows what these games are and what they are like, and with whom you are already engaged in conversation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

How is Cave Story? I've never played it.

It is very good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I know it's an old game. What is it? A platformer? RPG?

It's an action-platformer with some light exploration elements and a story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

deadwing posted:

I cannot stop thinking about the Super Mario

I can, but I don't want to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm not sure where we're setting the bar for "sterile and repetitive" here
In a playthrough of Super Mario Sunshine you fight
Four Polluted Piranhas
Three Gooper-Bloopers
Two Petey Piranhas
And a giant Boo on a slot machine

It's the wrong season to be making this kind of reference

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

(Major Zero voice) No, "Virtuous" Console

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

God drat it. I'm probably going to end up getting Lost Sphear, like a fool.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played a main line Mario game (i.e. not Kart) for more than a few minutes since the SNES days. Should I think about Odyssey or just keep playing Splatoon and stuff?

All mainline Mario games are good. So yes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

this period immediately before Super Mario Odyssey can be called Super Mario Iliad, I believe

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

game good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hand Row posted:

Picked up a Switch this weekend. Any recommendations for games to play with wife who does not? Snipperclips?

Snipperclips is the only video game that some of my non-video-game-playing relatives have enjoyed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So don't use the bumpers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The easy part is that you can always give up and try for a different moon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I haven't even figured out how to reliably jump-dive off the cap the first time. Game seems to have a higher skill ceiling than is usual for Mario.

I wonder what they're going to do for 2D Mario on the Switch. Seems unlikely that they'd skip it; getting a 2D Mario, a 3D Mario, and a Mario Kart on every platform has been their strategy for over a decade now. NSMB U was good, but it was also very similar to NSMB Wii, and NSMB's aesthetic isn't exactly exciting - though as long 2D Mario continues to outsell 3D Mario by a factor of two, I guess it doesn't have to be exciting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you reenter one of those self-contained platforming challenge areas, Cappy will tell you whether or not there are any moons left there, and after that, if there are purple coins to be found there, he'll say so. So you can at least narrow things down that way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At least finish the tutorial in Mario.

You'll know you have finished the tutorial when the credits roll.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Why can't I mate with the blades

They're very sharp, it's too dangerous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be impossible to remove the motion controls from Skyward Sword because the entire game is designed around using one of them at all times and a large number of them have no sensible traditional controls equivalent.

It would, however, be possible to fix the actual problem with that game, which is the overexplaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skyward Sword is all dungeons. The exterior areas are basically dungeons that have additional dungeons in them. It's at the opposite end of the openness spectrum from Breath of the Wild. I liked it a lot, but it is clearly not to everyone's taste. I like that this one series can contain things that are so wildly different.

• Locked thread